HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Moore

Old
11-16-2007, 12:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Greg Moore

With his 2G performance in the Pack's last game Greg Moore is now 9-7-16 in 15 GP and leading the pack in scoring. This from a player who's forte was always supposed to be defensive play and leadership (most predictions coming out of Maine were that he'd be a solid, responsible 3rd liner). He's got a solid frame (6'1" 225), although based on his PIM, he doesn't seem to be a big fighter.

Moore made a big splash in HFD coming out of college and joining the 'Pack for the POs two years ago. Then had a bit of a down year, which he attributed to being a bit too heavy. Apparently, he rededicated himself to fitness in the offseason and came into camp and really opened some eyes this past fall and his solid play has continued right into the regular season.

How long before his play demands a regular shift on the 4th line? He's been on the shuttle a couple of times already and practiced with the big club on numerous occasions. I for one would love to give him a shot over Hollweg or Orr.

Thoughts? I'd especially be glad to hear from those who've watched him play live/on B2 this season.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 12:51 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
With his 2G performance in the Pack's last game Greg Moore is now 9-7-16 in 15 GP and leading the pack in scoring. This from a player who's forte was always supposed to be defensive play and leadership (most predictions coming out of Maine were that he'd be a solid, responsible 3rd liner). He's got a solid frame (6'1" 225), although based on his PIM, he doesn't seem to be a big fighter.

Moore made a big splash in HFD coming out of college and joining the 'Pack for the POs two years ago. Then had a bit of a down year, which he attributed to being a bit too heavy. Apparently, he rededicated himself to fitness in the offseason and came into camp and really opened some eyes this past fall and his solid play has continued right into the regular season.

How long before his play demands a regular shift on the 4th line? He's been on the shuttle a couple of times already and practiced with the big club on numerous occasions. I for one would love to give him a shot over Hollweg or Orr.

Thoughts? I'd especially be glad to hear from those who've watched him play live/on B2 this season.
Someone lighting up the scoresheet in HFD who projects as a gritty 3rd liner....sounds a lot like Callahan to me. And right now, given the logjam we'll have when Straka and Callahan come back, I don't think you can count on Moore getting any kind of significant minutes at the NHL level until next year unless the team catches a serious injury bug.

Let him develop some more before we start bumping guys who have proven themselves at the next level.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

I've watched him once or twice this year and really like the kid, always have (especially his size, straigh forwared game and a little speed) despite last year kinda being a step back. As you mentioned, the best thing is that his offensive game and, especially, his confidence to do things offensively (guess they go hand in hand, right?) is blossoming.

And though he is probably good enough to play on the 4th line in NY, why rush it? he is having a great year in Hartford, why not continue the development over the course of the year?..Maybe bring him up for injuries, but otherwise let him play in all conditions down in Hartford..And then next year we have a player!

And, it's not like our 4th line is failing. Quite the contrary, it is doing a damn good job with who they have..And then when Cally and Straka get healthy, there's two more NHL players for him to jump over and fight for playing time..

Nah, IMO, the best thing for him is a full year of playing strong in Hartford...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Nich

honestly, i am kinda shocked by this...you know with him being one of the first players cut in training camp....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 12:57 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I've watched him once or twice this year and really like the kid, always have (especially his size, straigh forwared game and a little speed) despite last year kinda being a step back. As you mentioned, the best thing is that his offensive game and, especially, his confidence to do things offensively (guess they go hand in hand, right?) is blossoming.

And though he is probably good enough to play on the 4th line in NY, why rush it? he is having a great year in Hartford, why not continue the development over the course of the year?..Maybe bring him up for injuries, but otherwise let him play in all conditions down in Hartford..And then next year we have a player!

And, it's not like our 4th line is failing. Quite the contrary, it is doing a damn good job with who they have..And then when Cally and Straka get healthy, there's two more NHL players for him to jump over and fight for playing time..

Nah, IMO, the best thing for him is a full year of playing strong in Hartford...
I hear what you guys are saying, especially regarding development.

But I guess I disagree with most on the board when it comes to our fourth line - I recognize that their stats are pretty good, but I attribute a lot of that to our D and Hank. When I watch the games, I see Orr and Hollweg in particular scrambling to keep up with the guys on the other team and I'm always on the edge of my seat hoping that they can "last" through their shift until they climb over the boards and one of the other top 3 lines comes on to relieve them.

Also, as regards the point that he sounds like Cally, I would disagree - based on what little I've seen, Moore is similarly straight-ahead, but he's bigger and stronger (although not as fast or slippery) and uses that size in his game.

Old
11-16-2007, 01:02 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:

But I guess I disagree with most on the board when it comes to our fourth line - I recognize that their stats are pretty good, but I attribute a lot of that to our D and Hank. When I watch the games, I see Orr and Hollweg in particular scrambling to keep up with the guys on the other team and I'm always on the edge of my seat hoping that they can "last" through their shift until they climb over the boards and one of the other top 3 lines comes on to relieve them.

Also, as regards the point that he sounds like Cally, I would disagree - based on what little I've seen, Moore is similarly straight-ahead, but he's bigger and stronger (although not as fast or slippery) and uses that size in his game.
But the fact remains that there's no room for him right now. Even if you sit Hollweg AND Orr, who else gets to ride the pine (or get sent down, since bringing up Moore once Straka and Cally come back would put us over 23)?

As for comparing Cally and Moore, I didn't bring it up based on style of play, since I haven't even seen Moore. What I'm saying is that this team already has a logjam at forward, particularly 3rd/4th line types.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:05 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
honestly, i am kinda shocked by this...you know with him being one of the first players cut in training camp....
You're absolutely right. I mis-remembered that part (perhaps there were good reports coming out of the minor league camp?) - must be all the brain cells I've killed with beer at MSG. He has however been impressive since the start of the 'Pack season, beginning with his first 2-goal game in game 2.

Old
11-16-2007, 01:08 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
But the fact remains that there's no room for him right now. Even if you sit Hollweg AND Orr, who else gets to ride the pine (or get sent down, since bringing up Moore once Straka and Cally come back would put us over 23)?

As for comparing Cally and Moore, I didn't bring it up based on style of play, since I haven't even seen Moore. What I'm saying is that this team already has a logjam at forward, particularly 3rd/4th line types.
Legit point about the roster limit, but I actually see our logjam as 2nd/3rd line wingers and I think given Moore's size and defensive game he could be an upgrade over our current 4th liners. Once the injured players come back, this would in fact necessitate a roster move with one of the guys currently on the big club.

Old
11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

I agree that Orr is often scrambling or trying to keep up with the play, but they have also been playing against top lines a fair amounf and doing a decent job..allowingthe other lines not to be taxing their energy..I have no problem with the current 4th line.

Also, as of yet, there really hasn't been any physical hockey. That will change later in the year and I think HBO will do well hen it happens..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

If only he had Orr's fists, he'd be a shoo in to replace Colt45. Hossa-Betts-Moore has a certain sparkle to it.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
squishy

A month of solid play in the AHL does not guarantee success at the NHL level nor does it necessitate roster moves. The whole point is to have players in the minors who CAN step in when the inevitable injuries happen. That means some guys who may be ready for the big show will stay there longer than they might need to.

I'm no fan of Hollweg or Orr, but they're performing their jobs well and most importantly the team is gelling -- and winning (that's the goal, after all). Moore will not, and should not, get one of their roster spots based on 1 month of good play in a lower league. He'll be first on the list for an injury call up, and will have the opportunity to prove himself then. But right now he's best served by playing in all situations in Hartford, where he can continue to build his confidence after a disappointing rookie year.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 03:32 PM
eco's bones

I look at Moore and something reminds me of Mike Knuble who played first for Detroit and then here and later on found his scoring touch in Boston and Philadelphia. Moore is not a fighter and so what. He's got a body that can work in the trenches. He's supposed to be responsible defensively. Right now he seems to be finding his scoring touch at least at the AHL level. That is good because it looks like his game is rounding out. This could be a good player but it may take him time once he reaches the NHL to fulfill his potential. That is what happened with Knuble. Anyway it appears that the Rangers have their eye on him and if a need arises he looks like he'll be our next callup.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 04:31 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
I think Callahan proved last year that this simply doesn't matter. Moore could turn out to be a real find. He scored very well in college. Pretty obvious he's next in line for promotion and good chance we'll see him sometime this year. The competition for jobs (which is one of the things that helps make a good team great) is very good in NYC right now.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

The problem Moore is going to face is that he projects as the kind of player the Rangers currently have a lot of. Hard working guys with a scoring touch who project as support guys.

That's not to say he doesn't have the talent to make it as a nice third line winger, it's to say that he's going to face a lot of competition.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:55 PM
True Blue

I liked Moore coming out of college and he was great that year during the Hartford playoff run. Last year, he took some steps back, but looks like he is straightening himself out. His current competition for future positions are the likes of Callahan. Hopefully Moore can continue to get better. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the year unfolds for him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I liked Moore coming out of college and he was great that year during the Hartford playoff run. Last year, he took some steps back, but looks like he is straightening himself out. His current competition for future positions are the likes of Callahan. Hopefully Moore can continue to get better. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the year unfolds for him.
not really, since moore was moved to center. if he is as good defensively as i have heard, he will compete with blair next year

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 05:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Well, looks like we'll get to see after all... Shame it meant that Dawes had to go back down. (Although, given that he went down to make room for Moore tonight, I'm guessing that means we now know half the answer to "When Callahan and Straka are Healthy..who Sits? (Choose Two)".)

I'm guessing this will mean:

Drury-Dubi-Jagr
Avery-Gomez-Shanny
Hossa-Moore-Prucha
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

C'mon, Greg!

Old
11-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
According to Howlings, Moore was returned to Hartford today.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:11 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
According to Howlings, Moore was returned to Hartford today.
we haven't seen the last of him this season

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Moore centering Dawes and Jessiman should be a highly productive line
Sounds like Jessiman is starting to come around. Right now he's 4-8-12 +3 36pims in 21 games. He still must have a long way to go but it's good to see he's moving in the right direction. ECHL to 1st AHL!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
PanthersRule96

I saw Moore in warmups before the Panther game when I was at it in South Florida, I don't think he dressed for the game but I remember watching the last Rangers to come off the ice, and I saw this guy, number 41 or 49 I think it was, Moore, do a few incredibly shifty moves on Lundqvist. I don't remember if he scored but he was dangling the puck around really nicely and looked good even though it was warmups. It's pretty hard for someone to catch your eye in a pregame skate but when I got back home I looked up who this guy was because I had never heard of him before.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote