HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CHI/SJ Idea

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 05:46 AM
kacz

vCash: 500
CHI/SJ Idea

According to "Spector's Hockey" the San Jose Sharks would be interested to aquire Alexei Zhamnov from the Chicago Blackhawks. So with that in mind, I came up with this idea...

To Chicago:
-Alyn McCauley, C
-Mike Morris, RW/LW
-Chicago 2nd Round Pick

To San Jose:
-Alexei Zhamnov, C

Reasoning:
The Blackhawks can afford to ship there #1 center off because they have Tuomo Ruutu and Tyler Arnason to compete for that job, plus Hawks save around 3mil. Alyn McCauley can provide solid depth, Mike Morris is an offensive prospect and if he finds his way he may turn out great, plus a 2nd doesn't hurt. From a Sharks standpoint they get a centerman who can really put the pucks in the net, with Patrick Marleau currently being the #1 center, it would most likely mean second line duties but playing time with either Marco Sturm or Vincent Damphousse.

Thoughts?

Old
01-18-2004, 07:03 AM
pappa jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zherdev
According to "Spector's Hockey" the San Jose Sharks would be interested to aquire Alexei Zhamnov from the Chicago Blackhawks. So with that in mind, I came up with this idea...

To Chicago:
-Alyn McCauley, C
-Mike Morris, RW/LW
-Chicago 2nd Round Pick

To San Jose:
-Alexei Zhamnov, C

Reasoning:
The Blackhawks can afford to ship there #1 center off because they have Tuomo Ruutu and Tyler Arnason to compete for that job, plus Hawks save around 3mil. Alyn McCauley can provide solid depth, Mike Morris is an offensive prospect and if he finds his way he may turn out great, plus a 2nd doesn't hurt. From a Sharks standpoint they get a centerman who can really put the pucks in the net, with Patrick Marleau currently being the #1 center, it would most likely mean second line duties but playing time with either Marco Sturm or Vincent Damphousse.

Thoughts?
i think san jose is overpaying just a tad. zhamnov is a ufa at seasons end and has been hurt most of this season. if he's playing and playing good to the trade deadline his value will rise but i don't think chicago would fetch that package even then. mccauley straight up would be a good trade for both teams and is imo pretty fair.

Old
01-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa jan
i think san jose is overpaying just a tad. zhamnov is a ufa at seasons end and has been hurt most of this season. if he's playing and playing good to the trade deadline his value will rise but i don't think chicago would fetch that package even then. mccauley straight up would be a good trade for both teams and is imo pretty fair.
Value-wise yea its fair (maybe give alil more value to Alexei) but the Sharks hang onto McCauley. The guy has been great for the team and you don't just trade one of your main catalyst from a team that is relying on team chemistry so much.

01-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Value-wise yea its fair (maybe give alil more value to Alexei) but the Sharks hang onto McCauley. The guy has been great for the team and you don't just trade one of your main catalyst from a team that is relying on team chemistry so much.
Last tiem you did that you got McCauley

Old
01-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Last tiem you did that you got McCauley
Sharks fans will tell ya that Nolan was a cancer in the lockerroom and that the Leafs overpaid for him. I dont believe that and have a good laugh. Nolan is a great team player but hes a power forward not a captain. Unfortunately for him, the Sharks were viewed as his team and he became the scapegoat in SJ when things went south. Deano got good value outta him (not overpayment) but with a power forward of his caliber he should have. Nolan got assed out of SJ so a few guys could save their jobs IMO. However, this new Sharks team is playing hot...why mess with it is youre not going to significantly improve it? The Zhamnov for McCauley proposal has a better chance of hurting the team I say.

Old
01-18-2004, 09:57 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Morris is a good prospect, McCaulley has been a captain, a very very important part of this team. This deal would not be pulled on by the Sharks.

Old
01-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Chelios

The Hawks are looking for a good defenseman in return for Zhamnov, so what about Brad Stuart. Sharks have lots of depth on defense (McLaren, Rathje, Hannan, Preissing, Ehrhoff, Davison and Fahey) and might be able to accept the loss of Stuart if it means bringing in a 1st line C.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:03 PM
pappa jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios
The Hawks are looking for a good defenseman in return for Zhamnov, so what about Brad Stuart. Sharks have lots of depth on defense (McLaren, Rathje, Hannan, Preissing, Ehrhoff, Davison and Fahey) and might be able to accept the loss of Stuart if it means bringing in a 1st line C.
sure a fine young #1 d-man for a rent-a-player. not a chance! that is brutal!!!! stuar is not avaible imo.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:45 PM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
As SJ posters know, I've been advocating dealing for Zhamnov for quite some time -- well before it was documented in the mainstream press.

The furthest I could see the Sharks going is giving up Fahey and a non 1st round pick (if Chicago is looking for D). When you consider the Sharks would be only picking up Zhamnov for a couple months, that rules out trading the higher rated D-men from the Sharks POV.

From the Hawks POV, I'm sure Fahey isn't the answer, but since Zhamnov has said he doesn't want to return to Chicago, getting a player and a pick is better than nothing. Zhamnov certainly isn't going to lead Chicago to the POs this year, and it'd be ~$2M saved for the Hawks.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:56 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
If you throw in Ruutu.

Old
01-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Ender

He's a rent-a-player. The Sharks will not give up a top2 d-man for him. IMO, no other team will eather. Alyn McCauley isn't going anywhere, he's too valuable to the Sharks right now, so is Ekman. Morris is a possibility, but IMO the Sharks won't trade him so soon. Mabey - Fahey (or Priessing), and a 3rd round pick for Alexei Zhamnov - unless he signs a new contract with SJ then a 2nd rounder.

Old
01-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Fedz

I think that original proposal is a bit much to pay for a rent a player.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:28 PM
fullmetalninja

If Tallon let's Zhamnov go for less than a young Top 4, or an older top 2 dman I will be shocked.

We can argue how good or bad Zhamnov is. I am of the opinion that he is severly under rated on these boards. The hawks have been one of the worst non expansion teams in the league the last 5 years, and were only mediocre the two years prior. The best LW, Zhamnov has ever had on the hawks is Kyle Calder- in his rookie year. Tony Amonte became a star, largely because of Alex Zhamnov, and that's regardless of what anyone wants to say- I watched them play. There aren't many people in the league that would have put up better numbers than Zhamnov on the hawk teams he's been a part of. And those that would have, I'm guessing wouldn't have been as good defensively. Certainly they wouldn't be as cheap to acquire.

We have 4-6 dmen coming out our ears. We need someone better than Jon Klemm. We also have draft picks coming out our ears, with a high first, two seconds, two thirds, and 5 fourths(maybe only 4...). IMO, we have as much depth as anyone in the NHL in the system. What we lack is a top tier finisher(nobody knows if daze will ever play again at this point), and a without a doubt 1/2 dman(Babchuk and Seabrook will be NHL'rs, so will Kukkonen and Barinka... Will any be a 1/2 is the question).

So a decent pick(non first round) doesn't really add much either.

What I'm trying to say, is that a move where a guy like Fahey and a 3rd comes just seems absolutely stupid from a hawks perspective. Fahey is not much of an upgrade to the stiffs we already have on the blueline(if he is at all). The 3rd isn't attractive because we have plenty of depth in the org now, and a ton of picks for next season already(and they'll all be at the top of the round).

All this is on the presumption that Tallon and Pully have a brain(which is a HUGE assumption!). But I'm guessing that to get Zhamnov will require:

Dman > than Jon Klemm
Dman</= Jon Klemm and prospect with a lot of upside.

If its a winger, it has to be one who can score or better include a good prospcet.

That's my best guess as to what it will take. If its too high, then at 12:00 pm on deadline day I'm guessing we'll see how much Pully is willing to concede that he sucks. People forget how much of a concession it will be by Pully to trade Zhamnov- who for years he has argued is everybit the player that JR was...

-fullmetalninja

Old
01-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Morris is a good prospect, McCaulley has been a captain, a very very important part of this team. This deal would not be pulled on by the Sharks.
Agreed.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Quote:
That is wrong on sooooo many levels. Ya want Stuart? Be prepared to cough up some good younger talent.

Old
01-18-2004, 08:48 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Huge Overpayment by Sharks!!!

Closed Thread