HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The moment that nearly destroyed your hockey interest

Old
11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89 View Post
Sidney Crosby almost ruined my interest in the sport. Not entirely HIM personally, but the fact that everyone acted like he was the second coming of Christ before he'd even done jack **** in the NHL. Now, after some seasons in the books I see him for what he is; a whining, diving, only-offensive-minded little brat. I'll let the jokers enjoy his childish antics while I enjoy watching Mike Richards play in EVERY situation on the ice. Now that's something something something COMPLETE!

Hey, buddy- Wasn't it one of YOUR Philly players that was hyped as hockey next's Christ before HE played his first game?

IMO, Crosby did not have even close to the hype that Eric Lindros got.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Bettman and Goodenow being hired.
Deadpuck era.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:04 AM
toastman344*

In response to that overbearing Philthy fan's previous comments...

Crosby's one of those rare guys, who not only lived up to, but actually SURPASSED all the Hype !

Having said that , it's nice to see that Richards is doing bloody fantastic this season...Ya just had to love that guy as a junior...a heart and soul type player, for sure...

CHEERS ET AL

toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Living in Calgary.

11-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Hartford HockeyFan

The departure of teams from Quebec, and Winnipeg. Also all the dirty hits over the years by players throwing cheap shots and dirty hits and making the NHL look like a goon league. The NHL never gets good press, only press when things bad happen.

Hartford HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:27 AM
hexrae

Losing the Jets hurt, but I'll NEVER lose interest in hockey. Fan for life here.

Which doesn't mean the NHL can do whatever and I'll stick beside them forever. **** em, there's the AHL, WHL, OHL, QMJHL, NCAA, CIS, European Elite leagues, etc... This is what I learned from the lockout.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Wildoat

I was really really upset and depressed when the Rangers won the cup in 94, I honestly felt so down and empty and I dont think it nearly destroyed my interest, but I was definetly down, I long for those days where those were problems in my life

Wildoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 08:50 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Nothing ever hit me harder than when Joe Thornton was traded by the Bruins. Was online that night when it happened and I saw the headline and all I saw was "trade" "San Jose" "Thornton" and "Bruins". So I immediately assumed that the Bruins had acquired Scott Thornton from the Sharks. Wrong.

Not only that, but I notice that the only center coming back is Wayne Primeau, a guy who I had disliked dating all the way back to his young days in Buffalo.

I'm back on board NOW, of course. But that only happened after a two month hiatus ending with the firing of Mike O'Connell.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:22 AM
RADU

steve moore spearing naslund ruined it for me

RADU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Badger Bob

The lockout didn't nearly destroy my interest, but it sure put things into perspective. The "void" by paying closer to other winter activities: skiing, watching DVD's, listening to music, reading, going to events and having a nice dinner on a Saturday night. It made me realize that (as if there'd been any doubt before) that hockey is only one part of the whole equation. I didn't really miss it all that much, but understood the importance of what was at stake and returned like everybody else.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:45 AM
dre2112

Rejean Houle, Ronald Corey, trading Patrick Roy and getting nothing in return.

When the Habs tried to bring in washed out French Canadian players to revive their former glory only to fail miserably and be out of playoff contention for years to come.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:53 AM
MyNewNick

Lemieux retired. Gretzky retired. Dallas wins Stanley Cup. New Jersey wins Stanley Cup.

Thank God Mario came back!

MyNewNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:06 AM
jamiebez

I quit watching for nearly a whole season after the Jets left. They were my team and I was extremely disinterested in the game not having a team to root for.

The Sens run to the playoffs late that season got me back on board since I'd lived in Ottawa for a few months the previous year and was thinking of moving back (I did).

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 07:41 PM
jarren

mike ricci face

jarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarren View Post
mike ricci face
lmao

I would have to say ....Its hard being a leaf fan.... nuff said.

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
tgarrett29

My interest in hockey will never be destroyed, but my interest in the NHL is on life support right now. NCAA hockey and CHL games at least give the opportunity to watch an entire team of players playing like they mean it instead of some of the players in the NHL who just seem to mail it in coupled with the fact that there doesn't seem to be a true home ice advantage in today's arenas that are all of the same cookie cutter variety. Plus, I can't stomach ponying up a couple hundred bucks at a minimum to take my family to an NHL game that seems to be trying to cater only to the fans that don't exist instead of the ones they have.

tgarrett29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
the_speedster

Travis Roy's accident...

actually can't say it destroyed it .. more scared me to death. Here was a kid about my age.. with apparently 100times the skating ability I did and he got hurt in such a heart breaking way... I was scared to go out on the ice for about 2weeks. Couldn't stay away for much longer though... Wonder how travis is doing btw? Seemed like such a nice kid...

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote