HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The Most Exciting Player Ever

Old
11-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Reks

vCash: 500
The Most Exciting Player Ever

My candidates:

Lafleur, Kharlamov, Bure, Orr.

Reks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 01:50 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reks View Post
My candidates:

Lafleur, Kharlamov, Bure, Orr.
We have a winner.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 02:04 PM
canucksfan

Orr

canucksfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Stonefly

Orr.

Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 02:31 PM
thomascal377

ive never seen alot of the oldies play, but from those who i have see it would definitely be bure

thomascal377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 03:07 PM
85highlander

Bobby Orr was Michael Jordan on skates -- except people expect someone like Jordan to do the things he did.

Orr did it as a defenseman -- and this was sheer brilliance, because it allowed him to dominate the entire ice. He wasn't just exciting doing one thing -- he was exciting doing everything.

He was constantly pulling you out of your chair--

Imagine a point guard leading the NBA in rebounds -- or a defensive lineman in the NFL leading the league in receiving yards -- Orr, as a d-man, did something even more remarkable -- he lead the NHL in scoring (TWICE), and was runner-up to Espo a couple more times.

Never happened before -- and will probably never happen again -- unless he suits his old ass up and gets in shape to give it a try!

85highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Stephen

Has to be Pavel Bure. The guy was fast, arrogant and aggressive, and he loved scoring goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmoI6oJuyLY

I love this video where he just about owns every goalie of note from the mid 90s.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 03:35 PM
pappyline

Regarding players I have seen, Its Orr followed by Bobby Hull. Also, From what I have read, Howie Morenz was a very exciting player.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Seen live, Bure and Mario. Seen highlights, Orr and Kharlamov.

11-17-2007, 04:34 PM
MXD

According to everything I've read about him (and we can safely guess nobody saw him play on this board)... Frederick Taylor deserves an HM.

Old
11-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Sampe

Probably one of Valeri Kharlamov, Bobby Orr, Gilbert Perreault, Denis Savard or Mario Lemieux based on the very little I've seen from them. Sidney Crosby is pretty exciting these days, too.

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Dark Shadows

Bobby Orr, Mario Lemieux, Pavel Bure, And Valery Kharlamov(The Russian Gretzky)

Bure is a bit behind the others though

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 05:07 PM
canucksfan

For whatever reason I never found Kharlamov to be exciting to watch.

Old
11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
bruinsfan46

Bure was the first name that came to my mind. Orr and Bure would be my top two.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 07:39 PM
lafleurfan10

Rocket Richard, saw him play, it was amazing the Siebert goal was awesome I'm sure its on youtube somewhere.

lafleurfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
For whatever reason I never found Kharlamov to be exciting to watch.
Jesus you really have a hate on for him don't you? He was the Russian Gretzky.

I remember watching every other Canadian watching him drop their jaws at his explosive speed bursts(He was an early Pavel Bure) and Orr caliber stick handling and vision. Not to mention being physical and aggresive.

He was so good, our team Canada decided their only chance to win the summit series was to take him out.

Last edited by Dark Shadows: 11-17-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Clips I've seen and a couple memories of when I was younger

1. Pavel Bure
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Bob Probert
4. Bobby Orr

Today and in recent memory

1. Ovechkin
2. Kovalchuk
3. Luongo

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:26 PM
God Bless Canada

"Exciting" is such a subjective term. I'd never put Bure on a most exciting list. Most explosive, perhaps. Best skater with the puck on his stick. But in terms of excitement, I want someone who does more than just hang out at centre ice, waiting for a pass.

I think a great hit is exciting. I think a great goal is exciting. I think a great defensive play, or a battle in the corners, is exciting. And I think a great fight is exciting. Guys like Lemieux and Orr and Lafleur were exciting. I'd say Orr is the most exciting ever, because he was so fast, so explosive, so creative, but he hit, he backchecked, he fought, he blocked shots.

I think the third and fourth line grinders are often the most exciting players each night. When Marty Gelinas was in Vancouver, he was often the most exciting player on the ice. He was a two-time 30-goal scorer who hit, backchecked, competed and skated like the wind.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think Cam Neely, Jarome Iginla and Brendan Shanahan are among the most exciting players I've ever seen. When it comes to excitement, the most exciting players are the guys who do something that grabs your attention every shift, instead of doing something four or five shifts a game.

I think Dominik Hasek warrants consideration for the most exciting player ever. That's because I think great goaltending can be every bit as exciting as a great goal. Hasek did things that were previously thought to be unimaginable.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 11:24 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
"Exciting" is such a subjective term. I'd never put Bure on a most exciting list. Most explosive, perhaps. Best skater with the puck on his stick. But in terms of excitement, I want someone who does more than just hang out at centre ice, waiting for a pass.

I think a great hit is exciting. I think a great goal is exciting. I think a great defensive play, or a battle in the corners, is exciting. And I think a great fight is exciting. Guys like Lemieux and Orr and Lafleur were exciting. I'd say Orr is the most exciting ever, because he was so fast, so explosive, so creative, but he hit, he backchecked, he fought, he blocked shots.

I think the third and fourth line grinders are often the most exciting players each night. When Marty Gelinas was in Vancouver, he was often the most exciting player on the ice. He was a two-time 30-goal scorer who hit, backchecked, competed and skated like the wind.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think Cam Neely, Jarome Iginla and Brendan Shanahan are among the most exciting players I've ever seen. When it comes to excitement, the most exciting players are the guys who do something that grabs your attention every shift, instead of doing something four or five shifts a game.

I think Dominik Hasek warrants consideration for the most exciting player ever. That's because I think great goaltending can be every bit as exciting as a great goal. Hasek did things that were previously thought to be unimaginable.
Following this comment... I'd throw another guy who was exciting to watch, even in his last years (as it's all I saw of him...)... Denis Potvin.

Old
11-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Sportacus
:)

MacInnis and Borque should get hms imho

11-18-2007, 12:21 AM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton_19 View Post
Jesus you really have a hate on for him don't you? He was the Russian Gretzky.

I remember watching every other Canadian watching him drop their jaws at his explosive speed bursts(He was an early Pavel Bure) and Orr caliber stick handling and vision. Not to mention being physical and aggresive.

He was so good, our team Canada decided their only chance to win the summit series was to take him out.
We had our debate about him a while ago but I didn't think he was that exciting. I would put quite a few players ahead of him.

He isn't one of my favorite players but I don't hate him.

Old
11-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Sens Rule

The most exciting players I ever saw? I started watching hockey around 1985. The most exciting players I ever saw were Gretzky, Mario, Doug Gilmour, Eric Lindros, Steve Yzerman, Denis Savard, Bourque and Neely at their best, Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek, Daniel Alfredsson and Mike Fisher (I'm a Sens fan so watched more of their games).

Bure is not on my list.... he did not "excite" me. He did make some of the best highlight reel plays but he also, if you watched him play, could be invisble circling the blue line waiting for a breakout pass as he got 2 goals. He had good full games to be sure, especially in Vancouver but he also had invisible games.... a lot of them.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Pretty much exactly what I came into the thread to say. Hasek was easily the most exciting player I've ever seen.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Raoul Duke*

Depends on what's exciting.
End to end rushes, hits, clutch goals, speed.....

If you combine it all then your answer is Eric Lindros:

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
The most exciting players I ever saw? I started watching hockey around 1985. The most exciting players I ever saw were Gretzky, Mario, Doug Gilmour, Eric Lindros, Steve Yzerman, Denis Savard, Bourque and Neely at their best, Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek, Daniel Alfredsson and Mike Fisher (I'm a Sens fan so watched more of their games).

Bure is not on my list.... he did not "excite" me. He did make some of the best highlight reel plays but he also, if you watched him play, could be invisble circling the blue line waiting for a breakout pass as he got 2 goals. He had good full games to be sure, especially in Vancouver but he also had invisible games.... a lot of them.
Agree with this post expect for the Sens stuff.

But, Gretzky easily wins for the guys that I've seen live.

Last edited by Legionnaire: 11-18-2007 at 05:31 AM.
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote