HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need a good RD prospect other than Komi...

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2004, 10:20 AM
All-Star

vCash: 500
We need a good RD prospect other than Komi...

Considering we'll be set on the left side for years with Souray and Markov, but our right side is getting old, is there a decent RD prospect that we could aquire from another team for Hainsey? Basically I want to do a D prospect swap...

Old
01-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Lewis63

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Considering we'll be set on the left side for years with Souray and Markov, but our right side is getting old, is there a decent RD prospect that we could aquire from another team for Hainsey? Basically I want to do a D prospect swap...

our Right-Handed D in the system:
Korneev
O'Byrne
Archer
Flood

doesn't seem to bad to me

I say keep Hainsey

Old
01-16-2004, 10:37 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
our Right-Handed D in the system:
Korneev
O'Byrne
Archer
Flood

doesn't seem to bad to me

I say keep Hainsey
From what I understand those guys are all projects. They aren't even close to being ready to step in in-case of injuries. What I was hoping for was a Blue-Chip for Blue-Chip trade with a team who has the opposite problem we have (stacked on the right, but not on the left); If such a thing even exists...

Old
01-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Marchy79

We have Archer, O'Byrne,Flood, and Linhart on the right point...

Archer seems to be a decent player... Big, Physical, and not afraid to drop the gloves. He's a step below the AHL right now (that can be accepted for an 8th rounder )... But from all reports I have read about Archer, he has a good resume, where he was a team Captain (leader) on an always talented Guelph team. He's a few years from contention, but I think soeday, he'll be able to fill the 5-6 RD spot nicely...

Flood has very good passing abilities, and speed, He is not the greatest in his own back end, but all in all, he is a very good offensive minded d-man, who if he fills out... I feel has the ceiling of a # 3-4 d-man. Decent speed, but the key to his game is his passing abilities... He is a good passer, and has the chances to be signed in 2 years.

Linhart was disappointing last year, but seems to have rebounded back at home in the Czech Republic... Time can only tell if he'll ever be good enough to lace em up on our team... Granted he had a good WJC's... but his foot speed is still weak.

Personally I'm pinning high hopes for Ryan O'Byrne... Quite possibly the chance to be known as a steal from last draft... He's tall (but underweight right now at 210... for 6-5 that's lean)... Skates well, and has a mean chip on his shoulder... He flew under the radar playing in the BCHL last year... (scouts admittingly said they missed the boat immediately after last years draft... and our table's crop of scouts I believe are top notch)... This year, he is making a rather nice impression at Cornell (from all accounts anyways) he's still a few years away, but he has the makings to be precisely what you are looking for...

Old
01-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Habsaku

Ron Hainsey can play RD and he doesn't seem out of place when he does. Whats the point in trading him for another D. I'd rather see us get a RD in the upcoming draft then swap prospects.

Old
01-16-2004, 12:03 PM
habitants9_4

Just so you know Archer is being brought to game situations slowly. He was nursing a serious injury, he's been solid in all I've seen with him THIS YEAR. Other years for the Storm he was sometimes the worse player out there.

Old
01-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Personally I'm pinning high hopes for Ryan O'Byrne... Quite possibly the chance to be known as a steal from last draft... He's tall (but underweight right now at 210... for 6-5 that's lean)... Skates well, and has a mean chip on his shoulder...
O'Byrne will obviously bulk up from here to the point where he's ready to move to the pros but don't think he lacks strength because he's "only" 210lbs. He clearly does not. I saw O'Byrne play for Boston College and he looks like a man among boys. He already has the strength to crush and man-handle anybody along the boards. I'm not sure about his hockey sense, but strength (and speed) are the least of his problems right now. What he'll need to work on is his understanding of the game and reaction time.

Old
01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
O'Byrne will obviously bulk up from here to the point where he's ready to move to the pros but don't think he lacks strength because he's "only" 210lbs. He clearly does not. I saw O'Byrne play for Boston College and he looks like a man among boys. He already has the strength to crush and man-handle anybody along the boards. I'm not sure about his hockey sense, but strength (and speed) are the least of his problems right now. What he'll need to work on is his understanding of the game and reaction time.
I agree it is completely obvious that he'll be bulking up in the next coming years, and as you've stated about his game play, he is definately a legit D-man prospect on this team... His strength will be definately upgraded over the next couple of summers... I would be interested in knowing where he would go now in the draft... The lack of exposure certainly helped us in getting him in the third round... I find it very interesting that he optioned in to the draft last year... cause I'm betting he'd easily crack the top half of the second round now...

Old
01-16-2004, 01:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I saw O'Byrne play for Boston College .

He plays for Cornell, was it against BC?

Why trade Hainsey for a RD? We have a few good ones on the farm. Hainsey can step in if need be. Rivet is 29?, Brezzy 33?, Komo 21.

Old
01-16-2004, 01:18 PM
HCH

Korneev and Linhart shoot left... that doesn't mean they couldn't play the right side but if you are looking for RH defensemen, then these two don't fit the bill.

Old
01-16-2004, 02:23 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Why trade Hainsey for a RD? We have a few good ones on the farm. Hainsey can step in if need be. Rivet is 29?, Brezzy 33?, Komo 21.
Totally agree, trading Hainsey for another D? He would have to be a bluechip in return and no team is looking to trade the same player, even if they shoot the other hand!

We have another draft this year, Montreal will be focusing on certain spots this year and kids like O'Bryne will have the Habs drooling in a year or 2 to sign with the big club like Hainsey, Komisarek and Higgins all have done after 2 years of NCAA.

Old
01-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Corey

Quote:
Thats funny. I saw him play for Cornell (you meant Cornell, didn't you), and he didn't "crush" anyone, he pressed them against the boards.

Old
01-16-2004, 02:44 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Ron Hainsey can play RD and he doesn't seem out of place when he does. Whats the point in trading him for another D. I'd rather see us get a RD in the upcoming draft then swap prospects.
I wasn't aware that Hainsey could play RD. My mistake...

Old
01-16-2004, 02:50 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
We have another draft this year, Montreal will be focusing on certain spots this year
If they do what they usually do they'll end-up getting the best player available regardless of position...

Old
01-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
I wasn't aware that Hainsey could play RD. My mistake...
Its normal, Hainsey hasn't played there a lot with the Habs, but I saw him twice last year and quite a few times this year both here and in Hamilton. He's got superior skating, sort of like Higgins, so he doesn't have near the problems Robidas or Quintal had.

Old
01-16-2004, 03:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Thats funny. I saw him play for Cornell (you meant Cornell, didn't you), and he didn't "crush" anyone, he pressed them against the boards.

I saw him lay some big hits. No bone crushing ones, but to me it looked like he tried to hit someone every chance he got. Some added weight will give him some more crushing hits, as he has the speed to catch up to the smaller players. I was very impressed with his physical game, and for the most part I was impressed with his all round game. I had my doubts about the pick when it first happened, but I think it was a good move from what I've seen so far.

Another guy like hits like him is Cote in Hamilton. Both seem to hit often, imo.

Old
01-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Joe Malone

The last Hamilton game I saw, Beauchemin played the right side. Not sure if he always does; he shoots left. I guess he's not a prospect anymore, and I'm not sure where he's at on the depth chart. Has anyone watched him play lately? Is a candidate for the Habs in the future, or an AHL player?

Old
01-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
He plays for Cornell, was it against BC?
Yeah I meant Cornell. Brain cramp sorry. I was reading an article about Pineault playing for BC prior to posting this so I guess I inadvertedly mixed up the 2 in my very easily confused and troubled mind.

Old
01-17-2004, 06:59 AM
Bopp

For what it's worth I think O'byrne is going to be on our blue line in the future. I was very pleased with what I saw of him on TV a couple of weeks ago. I predict his potential is somewhere between Rivet and Komisarek. Better skills than Rivet but not as good as Komi. I think he will be just a rough and tough as both of them. I see him being our 5th D behind Sourray, Komi, Markov, Hainsey and brisebois.

Closed Thread