HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OT: The Beer Drinkers Thread

Old
05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
Outside of Tree Brewing, none of the Canadian Micros you listed are really known for anything other than making standard, umimaginative, bland lager style beer. Canada has some amazing Micros: Unibroue, Dieu Du Ciel, Bieropholie, Half Pints, Bushwakker, Paddock Wood, Grand River, Phillips, Propeller, etc...
Sleeman, Moosehead, Rickards, and Keiths are mini macros and no better than Molbatt.
The Belgians you listed are pretty much the mass produced Macros of Belgium. Try Fantome, Rochefort, St. Bernardus, Westvleteren (if you can find it) to get a better idea of the top Belgian beers.
I'd have to say that despite what most Canadians think, the US is the best place for beer in the world. It's not that all of their micro brews are amazing, but that they have such a large amount of great beer. Breweries like Great Lakes, Stone, Founders, Bell's, Rogue, Deschutes are at least as good as the best Canada has to offer and most times better.
I would nominate Rogue as the best across the board brewer in North America...every single style they produce is at the very least good, and some are absolutely exceptional.

Talking about Belgium beer without having gone there (and, sadly, I haven't made that trip yet) is a waste of breath. There are some good mass produced Belgian beer, but the best stuff in Belgium remains crap that you literally have to walk up to a monastery to get apparently...something I intend to do at some point in the future.

Kwak is a fun beer to get if you can get it in its intended glass...but I won't give that away.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 02:49 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
category for everything. personally, PBR is my shotgun beer of choice...with good reason apparently.

take note, no one is saying those are good beers...they're simply comparing the STYLE of beer.

lager comes from the german word for camp, so "lager" beers are made to have staying power and travel well...not for taste, thus why most lagers aren't all that great in the taste department.

similarly, IPA (India Pale Ale) was produced to survive the voyage from Britain to India during the age of sail when they didn't have the best preservation methods. increasing the amount of hops allows beers to last longer...

always good to know why and how beers are made.
PBR isn't great but it's drinkable. Way more than the other big names. If Old Milwaukee Light and Natural Light were in the top 3 I'd hate to see what the other 31 entries were. There's got to be 100 Lights better than those. How about Amstel?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 02:54 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
PBR isn't great but it's drinkable. Way more than the other big names. If Old Milwaukee Light and Natural Light were in the top 3 I'd hate to see what the other 31 entries were. There's got to be 100 Lights better than those. How about Amstel?
The $4-5 special of PBR can and shot of Beam/Heaven Hill/Jameson is a go-to "I'm getting tanked up for $20 tonight" drink.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Amstel is definitely not an "American-style light lager" or whatever the description was (at least, I would never compare it to PBR...different type of beer). Those are VERY specific categories.

Old
05-27-2008, 03:08 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I know everyone (Austrians, Belgians, Germans, Americans, Canadians, Brits and the Irish) feel their beer is the best, and I'm a homer too and think Canadian beer are second only to the Belgian beers as a whole. I love Delerium, Hoegaarden, Leffe and even Fruli. Stella Artois is overrated.

I don't like the German/Austrian/Czech beers to be honest because they're just strong with poor taste IMO. It's like eating a spicy pepper,it's hot but doesn't add flavour.

The UK's only good beers are Guiness and New Castle Honey Brown, and Mexican beer is good summer/beach beer. With most American beers, the national brands suck (Miller, Bud, etc) for sure. Americans always tell me about Sam Adams but it's terrible and quite weak. However, I think US microbreweries might be better, but I haven't tried many. There is a really decent wheat beer from Wisconsin I liked.

However, I think Canadian beer owns after the Belgians. Our national brands (Molson, Labatt) are average beers but better than the big US beers for sure. My favourite Canadian beers are Rickards White, the new red Alexander Keiths, Kokanee Gold and Sleeman's honeybrown. In Canada we have great microbreweries:

- In Kelowna, tree brewing makes decent beer. The Cut Throat is good. Grandville Island in Vancouver though sucks. You can only get Kokanne in western Canada I think but Kokanee Gold is the superior version and it's readily available in Alberta.
- In Calgary Big Rock is pretty good. Trad and Grasshopper are solid beers and strong.
- Out East Sleemans, Moosehead, Rickards and Keiths are big time beers that make several great variations of their beers.
hey cactus do you do the "orange thing" with the Rickards white? I have yet to try it but do agree with you regarding the other canadian beer, more partial to Labatt persoanlly but Sleemans honey is killer as is their India Pale .

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 03:12 PM
rayearth

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest...ers_012008.asp

Yay, Victory. What's the deal with Three Floyds?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
hey cactus do you do the "orange thing" with the Rickards white? I have yet to try it but do agree with you regarding the other canadian beer, more partial to Labatt persoanlly but Sleemans honey is killer as is their India Pale .
I have tried it and I prefer it without the fruit. Rickards' White is an excellent beer on its own, provided you like white beers (Fin du Monde, Hoegaarden, etc). MY favourite beers are those sweet beers or the "honey beers" like Sleeman's Honey Brown and New Castle Brown.

As for that American that brought out that international competition, I will leave you to keep your opinions and I will do the same with mine. And yes, the US has a million more microbreweries than Canada, but the US also has a million times more of everything than Canada. And never once did I say a Canadian microbrewery is better than an American one. I even gave props to a Wisconson beer I can't name at the moment.

And as for the guy talking about Moosehead, Rickards and Sleemans, those are microbreweries that have grown tremendously lately and not long ago were as small as Tree Brewing.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:32 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Yuengling is my favorite American lager and has been for many years. I discovered Blue Moon just last year and I love it..it tastes great with the orange in it.

Recently I've discovered Sierra Nevada, which I recommend..it reminded me alot of Anchor Steam in some ways.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
As for that American that brought out that international competition, I will leave you to keep your opinions and I will do the same with mine. And yes, the US has a million more microbreweries than Canada, but the US also has a million times more of everything than Canada. And never once did I say a Canadian microbrewery is better than an American one. I even gave props to a Wisconson beer I can't name at the moment.
You made a blanket statement about Canadian beer being better than US beer...and then brought out the rather dated statement that the rest of the world views US beer with anathema...all while admitting that you really hadn't had any of the US beers anyone with a beer pallet would have a conversation about in the first place.

Volume itself is immaterial, that's not the statement anyone is making... the best brewery in the world could be located in the smallest country in the world. Hell, Belgian monasteries ARE some of the best breweries in the world. The importance of volume of microbreweries is that it creates a far greater chance that some of them will strike success.

You want to come in and make blanket statements like:

Quote:
However, I think Canadian beer owns after the Belgians.
Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that this post is directed to me? Well, I'm not surprised to see US beers exhalted by a Beer Association based in the US. American beers have a terrible reputation around the world - Europe, Canada and South America. No one can really name Canadian beers other than Canadian outside Canada.
It's ignorant and you're going to get called out for it. Go out there and taste some of the beer countries are producing, you might be surprised what you find. We know you haven't tried American beer to any degree, you admitted as much yourself:

Quote:
Americans always tell me about Sam Adams but it's terrible and quite weak. However, I think US microbreweries might be better, but I haven't tried many. There is a really decent wheat beer from Wisconsin I liked.
I mean, unless you want other countries to judge Canada purely on Molson (alright), Labatt (blech), etc. -- which you clearly don't since you don't even highlight those beers in your post -- it's simply nationalistic pride and lack of objectivity. I couldn't care less about where a beer is from, if it's good... it's good.

Lets talk Sam Adams for a moment. Sam Adams produces a ton of beers...some far better than others. The primary beers being Boston Lager, Light, Summer Ale, Oktoberfest, and Winter Lager...the seasonals are particularly worth a try.

They also make: White Ale, Double Bock (outstanding), Old Fezziwig Ale, Cranberry Lambic, Holiday Porter, Boston Ale, Cherry Wheat, Cream Stout, Hefeweizen, Pale Ale, Scotch Ale, Black Lager, Brown Ale, Honey Porter, and Irish Red.

Are they all good beers? Nope. All worth a try if one wants to talk about what the brewery produces? Yep.

And I'm sorry, but you touch a nerve when you start making broad claims while at the same time admitting you don't know the beer that is worthy of discussion. Molson isn't worth talking about...it's boring lager beer. There are Canadian breweries very much worth talking about...but, ya know what, I'd drink 'em before I'd talk about 'em...and have drank a fair number of 'em.

Old
05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Richards eats souls*

I suggest Hurricane 40's, heh, it's 12 bucks for a case of 12...lasts me about 3 days back at school.

Richards eats souls* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards eats souls View Post
I suggest Hurricane 40's, heh, it's 12 bucks for a case of 12...lasts me about 3 days back at school.
Hurricanes were the "beer" of choice (see: cheapest) back in high school. Still, 40s are 40s, and if you can drink the whole thing, you get quite a nice return on your $1 investment. Now that I'm in college, the main beer choices are Natty Ice/Light, Keystone, and Natty Boh (it's a Maryland thing). Movin' on up!

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
Hurricanes were the "beer" of choice (see: cheapest) back in high school. Still, 40s are 40s, and if you can drink the whole thing, you get quite a nice return on your $1 investment. Now that I'm in college, the main beer choices are Natty Ice/Light, Keystone, and Natty Boh (it's a Maryland thing). Movin' on up!
I was spoiled at Penn. A keg of Yuengling Lager or Black & Tan at Pi Lam every Thursday night for 3 years.

Old
05-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I was spoiled at Penn. A keg of Yuengling Lager or Black & Tan at Pi Lam every Thursday night for 3 years.
I think I know who you are.

Old
05-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Raisy

Quote:
And as for the guy talking about Moosehead, Rickards and Sleemans, those are microbreweries that have grown tremendously lately and not long ago were as small as Tree Brewing.
Well Rickards is owned by Molson/Coors, so I wouldn't say that it is a micro. Sleeman and Moosehead grew because the produced the same generic styles that the big Macros brew, but play themselves off as craft brewers.

Raisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
mercury

Quote:
I think I know who you are.
Very possibly.

Old
05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

http://www.hopheads.blogspot.com/

For those interested, a blog my buddy Jim has going. They have rated all sorts of beer thus far. If you're looking for some good reads about beer or for a good beer to try, I would highly recommend.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2008, 12:26 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
http://www.hopheads.blogspot.com/

For those interested, a blog my buddy Jim has going. They have rated all sorts of beer thus far. If you're looking for some good reads about beer or for a good beer to try, I would highly recommend.
Great name for a beer site. "Hop heads" means something different these days than it used to. Although, hops and cannabis are closely related. I was at some brewpub in the Haight in San Fran, and their one new hoppy beer tasted and smelled STRONGLY of kind bud. The bartender and my two druggy friends there tried it and agreed. It was OK, but kind of disorienting at the same time. I was half-expecting to start wigging out 20 minutes later.

Old
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

Quote:
Great name for a beer site. "Hop heads" means something different these days than it used to. Although, hops and cannabis are closely related. I was at some brewpub in the Haight in San Fran, and their one new hoppy beer tasted and smelled STRONGLY of kind bud. The bartender and my two druggy friends there tried it and agreed. It was OK, but kind of disorienting at the same time. I was half-expecting to start wigging out 20 minutes later.
haha. well, I hope you enjoyed both the site and the beer. and also a nice wig out.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
BerubeBox*

I've tried 7 or 8 wheats and the only one I didn't hate was the old macro in sheep's clothing, blue moon. No idea why.

Belgians, I'd be content if no one ever made a belgian style beer again. That's just a personal thing though, since so many of them are sweet. Yuck.

I'm loving this new american revolution, spearheaded by IPAs (rayearth: just avoid the 'extreme' crap, ie just about anything with the word hop in the name. I like buffalo wings but I could do without the "OMG INFERNO IN UR TOILET U ARE GOING TO DIE" test of manhood stuff. it's the same thing) and the new category of "american strong ales".

As jester said a dozen times, sepa is a great place to live. Dogfish, victory, weyerbacher, troegs, and tons of other breweries all have multiple variety packs available apiece. And you don't really remember much about a beer if you've only had one. Turns out the pa liquor laws that force you to buy in cases aren't so bad after all.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Belgians, I'd be content if no one ever made a belgian style beer again. That's just a personal thing though, since so many of them are sweet. Yuck.
Out of curiosity, what Belgian's have you had...there's a ton of variety in Belgian beer. The lighter Belgians tend to have the sweeter/frutier taste, but you can also find a lot of darker Belgians that aren't necessarily "sweet." The Belgians also produce stuff like Stella Artois which isn't sweet by any definition of the word...Much variety.

I would also note that one of the largest influences on American microbreweries is Belgian brewing techniques...very few of the really strong microbreweries do not make at least one Belgian-style beer.

Things like IPAs are relatively brute force beers as far as taste...so wouldn't really label them as the spearhead of the American beer revolution. They're are certainly some good ones out there, but the really neat stuff is in the more delicate beers that are out and about.

Old
05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
BerubeBox*

Honestly they were all too disappointing to be worth remembering. I'll keep an eye out for the dark ones though. I just don't understand people's fascination with high alcohol content, which is generally compensated for with sugar. One at dessert would be OK but what's the point of that? It's like these people were never told there are other types of alcohol out there.

You're probably right about the IPA's, the styles are hard to keep up on, which is likely why that ASA umbrella term got popular. It's a mix of a bunch of styles that are all fun to try (again as long as they're low in sugar imo), and that you didn't see 10 or 15 years ago. Everything from the IPAs to stouts, browns, barley wines and regional ale styles. If the Belgians lent us their techniques, good on the Belgians. But for the most part they can keep their beer.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what Belgian's have you had...there's a ton of variety in Belgian beer. The lighter Belgians tend to have the sweeter/frutier taste, but you can also find a lot of darker Belgians that aren't necessarily "sweet." The Belgians also produce stuff like Stella Artois which isn't sweet by any definition of the word...Much variety.

I would also note that one of the largest influences on American microbreweries is Belgian brewing techniques...very few of the really strong microbreweries do not make at least one Belgian-style beer.

Things like IPAs are relatively brute force beers as far as taste...so wouldn't really label them as the spearhead of the American beer revolution. They're are certainly some good ones out there, but the really neat stuff is in the more delicate beers that are out and about.
I honestly didn't know Stella was a Belgian beer. Totally different from Blue Moon, which is currently the only other Belgian I've tried. Stella is definitely one of my favorites though.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:15 PM
mikedifr

Just got back from Singapore and big popular beer there is Tiger which I really enjoyed....reminded me a little of Yeungling which is my favorite here....Also enjoyed Sapporo (which I have had in Saki bombs, but never drank alone) and Tsingtao

My favs are Yuengling, Stella, Blue Moon, Sam Adams and Hoegaarden. If I want light I go with Amstel Light.

I love trying new beers and independent brews but cant really say I am a beer guru by any means.

Any recommendations in the Philadelphia/New York area??

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:18 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Ahhh, the difference between Penn and Rowan. Kegs of yuengling vs. kegs of Natty Ice and The Beast

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2008, 12:18 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Just got back from Singapore and big popular beer there is Tiger which I really enjoyed....reminded me a little of Yeungling which is my favorite here....Also enjoyed Sapporo (which I have had in Saki bombs, but never drank alone) and Tsingtao

My favs are Yuengling, Stella, Blue Moon, Sam Adams and Hoegaarden. If I want light I go with Amstel Light.

I love trying new beers and independent brews but cant really say I am a beer guru by any means.

Any recommendations in the Philadelphia/New York area??
For bars or stores or microbrews or what?