HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Luc Richardson

Old
11-17-2007, 08:29 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

vCash: 500
Luc Richardson

is a 7th defensemen.

I don't care if he's best friends with our General Manager.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 08:45 PM
11sens11

What's your point?

11sens11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 08:49 PM
moz
Gute Post

I really, really, really don't like having Richardson on our team. I feel bad for saying it, and I don't even have a justification, he's been decent most of the season, but I just really don't want him here.

I dislike him in the irrational way many people dislike Meszaros or Redden. He just does these little things that piss me off. He takes a bad penalty and I'll blame him if we get scored on. He's on the ice for a goal against and I'll find a way to make it his fault. It's kind of sad.

11-17-2007, 08:50 PM
WhiskeySour

Certainly took a stupid holding penalty tonight... Lead to the first goal, I believe. That sucked.

WhiskeySour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Kamina
Amok

Zero points.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 08:57 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Without that bad penalty we are 0-0 going into the third.

Then anything happens.

But no, we go down 1-0 on a bad penalty(where there was NO NEED to hold the guy) and all of our limited momentum is gone going into the third. You could see our whole bench deflate after that goal.

Old
11-17-2007, 08:58 PM
11sens11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Zero points.
You expected him to have some playing with Corvo? Who would play defense?

11sens11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I really, really, really don't like having Richardson on our team. I feel bad for saying it, and I don't even have a justification, he's been decent most of the season, but I just really don't want him here.

I dislike him in the irrational way many people dislike Meszaros or Redden. He just does these little things that piss me off. He takes a bad penalty and I'll blame him if we get scored on. He's on the ice for a goal against and I'll find a way to make it his fault. It's kind of sad.
Richardson has looked really good for most of the season... more solid defensively than Schubert would have been. And I am a huge Schubert fan.

In the playoffs we will have 7 NHL caliber defencemen on our roster for every game... that is a huge insurance policy in case of injuries or penalties.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
Without that bad penalty we are 0-0 going into the third.

Then anything happens.

But no, we go down 1-0 on a bad penalty(where there was NO NEED to hold the guy) and all of our limited momentum is gone going into the third. You could see our whole bench deflate after that goal.
This loss was not at all Richardson's fault. We should be able to score a couple of goals on the Leafs. And the Leafs played an excellent game for 60 minutes.

Old
11-17-2007, 09:03 PM
TrueNorthGooner

Paddock should convert Emery into our 6th D-man. He could fight and block shots.

TrueNorthGooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:07 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
This loss was not at all Richardson's fault. We should be able to score a couple of goals on the Leafs. And the Leafs played an excellent game for 60 minutes.
Correct.

It's not all hsi fault.

But he played a large role in the loss, esp. for the limited time he played.

6th defensemen should be quietly solid without being noticed. I noticed 4 bad pinches and a bad penalty, and I wasn't even looking for mistakes by him.

Old
11-17-2007, 09:15 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
Correct.

It's not all hsi fault.

But he played a large role in the loss, esp. for the limited time he played.

6th defensemen should be quietly solid without being noticed. I noticed 4 bad pinches and a bad penalty, and I wasn't even looking for mistakes by him.

Oh give it up, you noticed no such thing.

Richardson has been more solid than Schubert. He balances Corvo well, especially when they play with the big line, it is so nice to have some one like Richardson out there who can pop anyone giving the big line a hard time.

I like him playing, and hope he stays longer. He is grit and fighting strength we need since Chara left. He is the kind of depth player that makes the teams better. I only expect him in the playoffs as a 7th dman, so i dont see the point of this thread.

He has been solid, but there have also been times when the Sens have been running around in their zone when he is out there. But also when the pizza line is out there without him too.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:18 PM
hockeycountry

To be completely honest, I usually forget we even have him. Every now and then I see #2, have a brief, strange flashback to Pothier, then go "... oh, right. That guy."

It'd be fun to do a thread where we all admitted who bears the brunt of our irrational blame. Except that it would probably be a lot of "Redden, Redden, Redden, Emery, Redden," so maybe "fun" is the wrong word.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post

Richardson has been more solid than Schubert. He balances Corvo well, especially when they play with the big line, it is so nice to have some one like Richardson out there who can pop anyone giving the big line a hard time.
Paddock played Schubert in Richardson's place for most of the third period.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Huston

I'm am starting to like Richardson a lot. That penalty was weak. It was Corvo I was worrying about all night. I just don't know with him. He does shot when he should, and he starts going up the ice, stop for some reason, and instead of passing it to a forward in a good position, he passes back no where near Richardson.

He should become like Phillips and be playoff Corvo all year.

If he does that.. that would be erectional.

Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Thats not unusual. Thats the roles they play as im sure youve noticed. Richardson is not here to be a 12 min a night dman. He plays a specific role, dimnished as that role is in most fans eyes. Not hard to understand, we arent on the ice getting hit in the head a lot

Old
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:

I like him playing, and hope he stays longer. He is grit and fighting strength we need since Chara left. He is the kind of depth player that makes the teams better. I only expect him in the playoffs as a 7th dman, so i dont see the point of this thread.

He has been solid, but there have also been times when the Sens have been running around in their zone when he is out there. But also when the pizza line is out there without him too.
Yes. I admit I have a irrational hatred of the guy. That much is obvious.

But I really tried to commit to not looking for mistakes from this guy during this game. I wanted to enjoy myself watching KEVlar create their magic(even though Paddock split them up )

Having said that, I do watch the little things, and really, when you pinch, you better take out your man(legally) if you miss the puck. Esp. when Corvo is your defensive partner. (Even though Corvo is one of our better odd man rush defensmen).

Old
11-17-2007, 09:30 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Thats not unusual. Thats the roles they play as im sure youve noticed. Richardson is not here to be a 12 min a night dman. He plays a specific role, dimnished as that role is in most fans eyes. Not hard to understand, we arent on the ice getting hit in the head a lot
Schubert usually does not replace him at ES. In fact, I can't remember a time yet the season were he has taken Richardson's place at ES. If Schubert is so bad defensively, why would you play him over Richardson in the third period of a 1-0 game? If you trust Schubert more in that situation, why not give him that ice time regularly? If Richardson is too old/tired/slow/whatever else to play in the third period of a close hockey game...

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Because we needed to score.

Old
11-17-2007, 09:35 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Corvo has been worse.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:37 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Schubert usually does not replace him at ES. In fact, I can't remember a time yet the season were he has taken Richardson's place at ES. If Schubert is so bad defensively, why would you play him over Richardson in the third period of a 1-0 game? If you trust Schubert more in that situation, why not give him that ice time regularly? If Richardson is too old/tired/slow/whatever else to play in the third period of a close hockey game...
Yes because Richardson is a stay at home dman, and playing his role pretty well. I remember a few games where Schubie replaced richardson at even strength in the 3rd, once even where gord wilson commented it may have been a mistake cause richardson looked better. Schubie has gotten pp time as a dman, so naturally he will be more offensive than stay at home dman richardson. But when Schubie has been put in that role in the 3rd to come in for Richardson, he has made gaffes that richardson didnt.

Now you may say, he is not playing enough there. And maybe. But we arent developing, we are doing what we can to win.

Old
11-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Sure seems like we need a 5th defenseman more than secondary scoring sometimes. At least the Vermette/Eaves/Kelly line is doing pretty good and creating chances. Our bottom pairing is horrid though..it doesn't seem like its been this bad in years. Richardson is so, so out of place on this team.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Sure seems like we need a 5th defenseman more than secondary scoring sometimes. At least the Vermette/Eaves/Kelly line is doing pretty good and creating chances. Our bottom pairing is horrid though..it doesn't seem like its been this bad in years. Richardson is so, so out of place on this team.
Richardson is the exact guy we did not have on our bottom pairing last year. Corvo and Priessing were lost in their own end. Corvo mentally and Priessing physically. Richardson is very smart. He is a 19 year veteran. He is physically strong. He would have been invaluable vs the Ducks. If we had Richardson last year in addition to the other defenceman then it is likely Priessing or Corvo are healthy scratches and Richardson is put in to handle the big physical Ducks forwards.

Our bottom pairing is no horrid at all.... have you seen other bottom defence pairings? Corvo for his defensive and mental limitations can get 35-40 points. Richardson is a solid stay at home D-Man. Plus we have 7 defencemen playing on defence every single game. I don't think many teams would not swap their bottom pairing for Corvo, Richardson and Schubert as a 4th line forward/ Special teams D-Man.

We need secondary scoring? We need a better 5th defenceman? We don't... if we got a top 6 forward or a 5th D-Man it would be a luxury and a bonus but we don't need any addition, this team could win the Cup as it is currently assembled.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Richardson signing but Luke has played very well and been a solid addition to our depth.

Old
11-17-2007, 09:56 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

And Schubert has been a real noticeable presence on the forecheck as a forward, as well as valuable special team time as a dman

Old
11-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Corvo has been worse.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote