HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luc Richardson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2007, 12:25 AM
  #26
Sting
Registered User
 
Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,164
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
We need secondary scoring? We need a better 5th defenceman? We don't... if we got a top 6 forward or a 5th D-Man it would be a luxury and a bonus but we don't need any addition, this team could win the Cup as it is currently assembled.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Richardson signing but Luke has played very well and been a solid addition to our depth.
Perhaps we were watching a different game tonight then? Richardson coughed up the puck left and right, I saw him standing around doing jack in the defensive zone (though, Corvo stood still more tonight) and couldn't make a pass to save his life.

I agree that Preissing/Corvo got destroyed physically, but Richardson really isn't much better. He can take hits and dish them out but at the end of the day he's still losing battles and thats all that matters.

Sting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:32 AM
  #27
DEATHtrap
Registered User
 
DEATHtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Schubert usually does not replace him at ES. In fact, I can't remember a time yet the season were he has taken Richardson's place at ES. If Schubert is so bad defensively, why would you play him over Richardson in the third period of a 1-0 game? If you trust Schubert more in that situation, why not give him that ice time regularly? If Richardson is too old/tired/slow/whatever else to play in the third period of a close hockey game...
simple, to generate offense. The team was offensively ineffective. Schubert and Corvo represent an an all or nothing defensive pairing.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:40 AM
  #28
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Perhaps we were watching a different game tonight then? Richardson coughed up the puck left and right, I saw him standing around doing jack in the defensive zone (though, Corvo stood still more tonight) and couldn't make a pass to save his life.

I agree that Preissing/Corvo got destroyed physically, but Richardson really isn't much better. He can take hits and dish them out but at the end of the day he's still losing battles and thats all that matters.
One game. He has played well over 1000 games.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:23 AM
  #29
PatrickEaves
We Lost
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
One game. He has played well over 1000 games.
He was a healthy stratch half the games for TAMPA last year.

The Tampa Bay, who's defense is worse than junk.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:38 AM
  #30
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
He was a healthy stratch half the games for TAMPA last year.

The Tampa Bay, who's defense is worse than junk.
That was why I was worried about the signing... but we dress 7 D-Men every game. Schubert plays quite a bit on special teams every game. Makes me think... watching Richardson so far... that Tampa made a mistake not playing Richardson more. Torterella loves to ride his best players. He would be cool with a 16 man roster I think.

I get where you are coming from.. I thought the exact same thing but Richardson to me has been solid..... better than Schubert would have been... and I really love Schubert.. It think I may be his biggest fan on these boards. Right now we have 7 defencemen and 12 forwards dressed a game. That to me is a distinct advantage... I'd love to possibly develop Schubert more as a D-Man but we are perhaps the top contender in the NHL... we are not about developing talent but winning games.... and Schubert has signed for next year too. He is here and he has to play where we ask him to play.

At some point one or 2 of the core top 4 D-Man will get injured.... we will be very happy to have Richardson then. Schubert vs Richardson is debatable.... Nicholat vs Richardson hoepfully is not.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:43 PM
  #31
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Corvo has been worse.
Defenitely he has been atrocious this season. His shot misses the net almost 95% of the time and if it does actually hit the net it usually hits the goalie in the chest head or shoulders with no chance at a rebound for anyone.

I think Richardson brings alot to this team. He has been very solid especially considering who he is playing with. I like having his physical presence and i guarantee he is a good guy in the room and on the bench.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:52 PM
  #32
PatrickEaves
We Lost
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,093
vCash: 500
I still think a Schubert that had a whole season to readjust to the defensive position over the course of the regular season would be BETTER in the playoffs than a Richardson.

No, you aren't a developing club at the moment, but even if a Schubert mistake cost us a game or two in the regular season, that's worth it if it means he plays instead of Richardson, and we win a playoff game because Richardson wasn't on the ice to make a mistake

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:02 PM
  #33
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,918
vCash: 500
I think Richardson has been fine, but I want Schubert to play defense and think that over the course of the season, all things being equal... that Schubert would be much better than Richardson by the second half, if not earlier.

I don't understand why we can't have a healthy (lineup) rotation of McGrattan and Richardson. Schubert stays fresh on D and hopefully gets a chance to improve. Richardson stays fresh over an 80 game season (as I don't want to see him play 82 games and then go into the playoffs... dead or dying). And McGrattan, a popular guy on the team who was committed to improving this summer gets to keep his role as 45 game/season winger.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:03 PM
  #34
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Defenitely he has been atrocious this season. His shot misses the net almost 95% of the time and if it does actually hit the net it usually hits the goalie in the chest head or shoulders with no chance at a rebound for anyone.


Here are some numbers for you.

Joe Corvo has been on the ice when the Sens have scored 16 of there 57 goals. That is pretty good

But we want defense, Corvo has been on the ice for only four of the 37 goals we have allowed.

That is a pretty good for a fifth defenseman.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:15 PM
  #35
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,691
vCash: 500
Those are some good team stats thats for sure. He also plays on the best team in the nhl against the worst players on the other teams. But as of late he has made alot of glaring mistakes he has been bailed out by his teammates. While your at it with these stats what are his giveaway/takeaway ratio? How many times has he missed the net compared to hit the net? How many odd man rushes against has he caused? Do you have those stats?

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:19 PM
  #36
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Those are some good team stats thats for sure. He also plays on the best team in the nhl against the worst players on the other teams. But as of late he has made alot of glaring mistakes he has been bailed out by his teammates. While your at it with these stats what are his giveaway/takeaway ratio? How many times has he missed the net compared to hit the net? How many odd man rushes against has he caused? Do you have those stats?
I do but we are talking production and production helps us win games.

On the ice for 16 of 57 goals for
On the ice for four of 37 goals against

He keeps production like that up, I have no complaints at all. Numbers like that lead to wins even if he is up against weaker bottom lines, shows how good the depth is.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:21 PM
  #37
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
But as of late he has made alot of glaring mistakes he has been bailed out by his teammates. While your at it with these stats what are his giveaway/takeaway ratio? How many times has he missed the net compared to hit the net? How many odd man rushes against has he caused? Do you have those stats?
12-1 (GV/TK)
He's been given a generous 12 MS to 31 shots ratio.

IMO, not very many the first dozen games of the year. But he has struggled the last couple of games. It's too early for me to get into a tizzy over this yet. We know why Corvo is here and what his limitations are. He's played better than expected up 'til the past few games, IMO.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:27 PM
  #38
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
12-1 (GV/TK)
He's been given a generous 12 MS to 31 shots ratio.
Giveaway to takeaway ratio is not really good for D-men anyways

Jay Bouwmeester 17-3
Chris Phillips 14-5
Tomas Kaberle 25-4
Toni Lydman 16-2

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:30 PM
  #39
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates
 
X0X0A0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 29,081
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
That was why I was worried about the signing... but we dress 7 D-Men every game. Schubert plays quite a bit on special teams every game. Makes me think... watching Richardson so far... that Tampa made a mistake not playing Richardson more. Torterella loves to ride his best players. He would be cool with a 16 man roster I think.

I get where you are coming from.. I thought the exact same thing but Richardson to me has been solid..... better than Schubert would have been... and I really love Schubert.. It think I may be his biggest fan on these boards. Right now we have 7 defencemen and 12 forwards dressed a game. That to me is a distinct advantage... I'd love to possibly develop Schubert more as a D-Man but we are perhaps the top contender in the NHL... we are not about developing talent but winning games.... and Schubert has signed for next year too. He is here and he has to play where we ask him to play.

At some point one or 2 of the core top 4 D-Man will get injured.... we will be very happy to have Richardson then. Schubert vs Richardson is debatable.... Nicholat vs Richardson hoepfully is not.
Just to clarify, Richardson was the Lightning's 8th defenseman last year and from about December until the end of the year his role was special assistant to the coaching staff. Even if the Lightning did dress seven defensemen (which as you said Tortorella almost never does) he would have still been behind Janik.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:40 PM
  #40
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
12-1 (GV/TK)
He's been given a generous 12 MS to 31 shots ratio.

IMO, not very many the first dozen games of the year. But he has struggled the last couple of games. It's too early for me to get into a tizzy over this yet. We know why Corvo is here and what his limitations are. He's played better than expected up 'til the past few games, IMO.
I agree he did start off pretty well but he has not been on top of his game as of late.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 03:02 PM
  #41
SwedeSenators
Registered User
 
SwedeSenators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
I wanted to sign Sopel.

SwedeSenators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 03:50 PM
  #42
mizza318
Registered User
 
mizza318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Richardson is not the problem. Is the whole team. You win as a team and you lose as a team. You want to blame the loss on Luc, then how about Heater and Spezza floating around ? Or how about that awesome power play of ours, that was sad to watch.

Its too obvious when the game gets a little too physical those guys just disappear.

mizza318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 03:58 PM
  #43
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza318 View Post
Richardson is not the problem. Is the whole team. You win as a team and you lose as a team. You want to blame the loss on Luc, then how about Heater and Spezza floating around ? Or how about that awesome power play of ours, that was sad to watch.

Its too obvious when the game gets a little too physical those guys just disappear.
Yeah... this team is never going to win with Spezza or Heatley. Why did we stupidly sign them long term? We are a loser franchise.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:03 PM
  #44
mizza318
Registered User
 
mizza318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
Yeah... this team is never going to win with Spezza or Heatley. Why did we stupidly sign them long term? We are a loser franchise.
I never said they are not going to win. But it was apparent in the finals too that when the physical play picked up Spezza and Heater were just not there, and yes I am picking these guys because they are Ottawas big guns and now they have the big contracts too.

mizza318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:05 PM
  #45
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza318 View Post
I never said they are not going to win. But it was apparent in the finals too that when the physical play picked up Spezza and Heater were just not there, and yes I am picking these guys because they are Ottawas big guns and now they have the big contracts too.
We made a huge mistake in signing them. I'd rather have Chad Kilger or Brad May or Mark Bell.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:15 PM
  #46
Rico__Persson*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Richardson was fine. I was probably the most upset when I heard Ottawa signed him this summer. All I could remember was the huge orange pylon he was in Philly, along with Philly's other orange pylon defenders.

I was wrong. Richardson is a specimen of health for his age. He's smart enough to cover up for his mistakes often enough. He's rugged and KO'd a guy with one punch. Couple that with the fact he hasn't really blown any games, and I'm a fan.


The whole team was awful yesterday. Terrible. Even Alfredsson who only has 1 bad game in 25 was non existent. Top to bottom this was Ottawa's worst game I've seen since sometime last season, probably about this time last year.

Patrick Eaves was the best player on the ice. I like Eaves, but he can't be the best player on the ice when there are so many big money players on the team.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
  #47
lafite
 
lafite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Defenitely he has been atrocious this season. His shot misses the net almost 95% of the time and if it does actually hit the net it usually hits the goalie in the chest head or shoulders with no chance at a rebound for anyone.

I think Richardson brings alot to this team. He has been very solid especially considering who he is playing with. I like having his physical presence and i guarantee he is a good guy in the room and on the bench.
Not much to add to that. Besides, if people are going to blame the 3rd defensive pairing for a shut out loss to Toronto, that's pretty lame.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:45 PM
  #48
mizza318
Registered User
 
mizza318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
We made a huge mistake in signing them. I'd rather have Chad Kilger or Brad May or Mark Bell.
Like where you going with this ? Brad May has a couple Stanley Cup rings and thats a fact if you need to know.

mizza318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
  #49
moz
Gute Post
 
moz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: England
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza318 View Post
Like where you going with this ? Brad May has a couple Stanley Cup rings and thats a fact if you need to know.
That's not a fact, because Brad May has one Stanley up ring. You know who else has one Stanley Cup ring? Andre Roy, Stan Neckar, Greg DeVries and George Parros. Salivating yet?

__________________
No longer valid
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:57 PM
  #50
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza318 View Post
Like where you going with this ? Brad May has a couple Stanley Cup rings and thats a fact if you need to know.
Yeah I know Brad May is a huge winner. Sure he might only get 5 goals in a good season but those are 5 important goals. Heatley might get 50 goals but he is soft. I'd much rather have Brad May. May has 4 goals in 82 playoff games. He is the kind of player that we can win a Cup with. May only has one ring not 2... at least not till this June when May gets his second ring with the Sens.

O'Donnell and May for Heatley and Corvo!!!!!! Do it Murray!!!!!!!

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.