HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Underestimating Presence of Struds

Old
11-18-2007, 03:08 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
a blind tibetan monk sitting in tibet could have scored that goal. Mara put the puck right on strudwicks tape and it just went right in.

That play was all Mara, that was a BEAUTIFUL pass.

leadership skills he has, but as a player, he sucks. at least in my opinion.
a blind tibetan monk wouldn't have rushed the net the way struds did.
take nothing away from Struds. personally I think he is an upgrade over Pock.
hence he is here scoring gwg. give renney kudos seeing the value of him.

Malik will struggle to get back into the line up.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It's the best $500,000 Slats has spent while running the Rangers

The Rangers players were more happy Strudwick scored the goal than Strudwick

His teammates love him.Renney adores him

He is also Marc Staal's roommate on the road

Quote:
His roommate on the road is veteran Jason Strudwick.

"He looks after me and keeps me out of trouble," says Marc, laughter bubbling from a finely etched face, topped with a burr of dazzling red hair
http://torontosun.com/Sports/Columni...1/4647242.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
"He looks after me and keeps me out of trouble," says Marc, laughter bubbling from a finely etched face, topped with a burr of dazzling red hair. He has all the looks of a guy a million mothers dream of -- and just as many doting fathers dread -- that their daughter might bring home.
I find this disturbing, reading this in a hockey article.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Struds is a fine 6th man imo. Malik stay comfortable in the press box.
Malik gets injured, Rangers go on winning streaks, coincidence?

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Sockosensei

Every time I see #34 skating backwards, I hold my breath.

Glad to see the guy get a big goal, but man does he frighten me.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 08:51 AM
giacomin1

Quote:
a blind tibetan monk sitting in tibet could have scored that goal. Mara put the puck right on strudwicks tape and it just went right in.

Yes it was a beautiful pass, but Strudwick got himself in position to take it and didn't screw up!

giacomin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 09:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
He's been decent. It still seems as though his value is greater for the stuff he does off the ice instead of on. I do have concerns about him holding up for a full season. Of course he probably sits when Malik is ready.

11-18-2007, 10:04 AM
zestystrat

Good for him.

He's a depth guy on this team- nothing more. And he has the previosly mentioned off ice value.

He's chipping in when he can and isn't bringing down the team when he's on the ice.

On a good team everyone, even the depth players, should be chipping in and that's what he did.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Once again I will pat myself on the back and take credit for saying relax guys. The Guy is a warrior and vet. Sometimes in the NHL you don't need to be a mega star just a lunch pail guy. The Rangers have been tougher to play agaisnt this year from the net out. Strud and Mara hit. Hollweg and Orr hit, Dubi and Shanny Avery hit fight and get dirty. The team is confident and Struds is doing just fine. Is he a 82 game guy no way but 50-55 he will just fine

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Good for struds.. put a huge smile on his face and everyone face... always helps a teams morale when the not known for anything other then checking defenseman scores the game winner.

for me, anyway, it makes the victory all the more sweeter when you get GWG from the guys you least expect it from.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 11:16 AM
clmetsfan

I loved seeing Struds get the game winner last night, but he's still below average in his own end. There were at least two instances in regulation where he looked like an absolute traffic cone (granted one of them was against Crosby, who could make anyone look bad).

Anyway, I don't think anyone would doubt that he goes back to the pressbox once Malik is ready to return, and I'm sure Struds is just as fine with that as I am. As a 7th D-man and great team guy, he knows his role, and he does it well. Can't ask for much more than that.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 11:23 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
"He looks after me and keeps me out of trouble," says Marc, laughter bubbling from a finely etched face, topped with a burr of dazzling red hair. He has all the looks of a guy a million mothers dream of -- and just as many doting fathers dread -- that their daughter might bring home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I find this disturbing, reading this in a hockey article.
I'd be upset if my daughter brought home Napoleon Dynamite too.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 11:34 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
and if i'm not mistaken, he's probably a big reason why staal has developed this quickly

struds
Yeah, he's responsible for Staal's development. Crosby's also.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:23 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'd be upset if my daughter brought home Napoleon Dynamite too.
haha, thats what I've been calling him too

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Yeah, he's responsible for Staal's development. Crosby's also.
You are right.

I know realistically Struds will sit when Malik is ready to go.

Do i agree with it no. Can Struds handle a full season , yes I believe so. he is a vet in the league for a long time, is in good physical shape. i think he would be just fine. I still prefer him over Malik. 3rd pairing minutes wont kill him or this team. i think he is valuable for th kids and should be in regularly. thats my opinion. Is he the best fit instead of Malik, i dont know.

Shold Staal be paired back with Mara , NO.

i would like to see , if Struds sits for malik. the pairings to reamain the same:

Tyutin & Girardi
Rozie & Staal
Mara & Malik ( if and most likley Struds sits )

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Nich

i like struds a lot..but lets be honest, nothing more than a 7th d man. he got burned a few times yesterday

and yes that whole play was mara...beautiful pass.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i like struds a lot..but lets be honest, nothing more than a 7th d man. he got burned a few times yesterday

and yes that whole play was mara...beautiful pass.
Yes it was Mara, but Strudwick was the last one I expected to be able to finish. im sure his expieience at LW helped with that. i would have expected him to miss by a foot or so. It was kind of shocking. I was glad he put it in. he deserves it.

but gret play by Mara, and great play by Strudwick knowing when to pinch. both impressed me.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 12:44 PM
greasch#4

Struds is sturdy and he scores a big goal once every 80 games or so (remember he scored to prolong the shootout that Malik eventually won with that between the legs move last year). What more can you expect from a 7th Dman but to give some veteran presence and sandpaper to the Blue line. He is a short term fix, but he gives us a better chance in that role than an unproven rookie who doen't bring the intangables Struds does (although our kids have really stepped it up this year).

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:01 PM
otto1219

silly thread, he shouldnt be on the team.

Just because he scores one game winner doesnt make up for that fact he wouldnt be playing on any other team in the nhl if it werent for the rangers loving him as a person.

the last month all everyone has been saying is that he should sit, and thats exactly what he is going to do when malik comes back.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:08 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Of course he probably sits when Malik is ready.
I don't know about that Singin'. Renney is not one for change. I would think that until Strudwick falls on his face, Malik is not coming back in.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
jmb9191

Strudwick turned the puck over in his own corner, and Shanahan made a great play knocking away a centering attempt by the Penguins.

Hes pretty bad defensivley, he has problems skating sometimes, but his leadership qualities do seem important. Watching them all celebrate after the goal, they all looked thrilled it was him, and he was soaking it all up. He and Malik have a lot in common.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Fletch

TB...

it makes for an interesting decision. It would be a crime if the top four are broken up. Mara's playing well and is starting to look decent on the PP. Renney likes Struds. But, Renney also likes Malik, so it's inevitable.

Personally, I don't mind Struds where he is on a third pair and would prefer him to Malik, assuming Staal holds up in his role and the others do as well. It's a third pair - one that should be out there against fourth lines, and occasional other shifts. He brings something different, something that you'd get from a fourth line. The goal is a huge bonus. He's been playing pretty well as a third pair defenseman and I'm fine with him in that role.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Fletch

jmb..

if you went back and watched last night's game, I'm sure you can find a turnover or a play in which a defenseman go beat or didn't do everything thing correctly. I see at least one miscommunication between Toots and Girardi that ends up in a quality chance against each game.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:

Care to explain how Strudwick sucks? What has he done this year to exhibit suckage? If you think Strudwick sucks, you must think Malik is a burning pile of crap, because Strudwick has been better than Malik so far this year. Malik is just inconsistent in his own end and will always be. He has more "finesse" than Strudwick, but Strudwick is stronger "mentally." I'd much prefer Strudwick's game over Malik's in a tough playoff series. And no, none of this is because he scored a goal yesterday.

Let's compare:

Both Strudwick and Malik are the same age.

Both are about the same size. Struds at 6'4" and Malik at 6'6". In other cases, I might consider that an important difference, but because Malik is such a soft player for someone that big and doesn't use his size or long reach to his advantage as much as a 6'6" guy should, there's no noticeable size advantage.

Malik makes better outlet passes, but they're not irreplaceable by any means.

Strudwick is tougher, more physical and fights, but he's not a heavyweight or really "feared" hitter by any means.

The only thing consistent in Malik's game is that he takes a bad hooking or holding penalty pretty much every other game. Look at his PIM's over the last two seasons. He hasn't had a fight, so those are all minor penalties.

Strudwick on the other hand has been very disciplined both in his stint late last year and so far this year. I think he has 2 minor penalties in 14 games this season. The consistency I see in Strudwick's game is communication and effort. He doesn't take lazy penalties. Where Malik would put his stick into the midsection of a player as soon as he starts to get beaten, Strudwick tries first to recover, he'll dive on the ice with his stick stretched out, and he has the confidence in Lundqvist to make the necessary saves.

In my opinion, Strudwick is more beneficial to this team than Malik. That doesn't mean that all things aside, Malik isn't the better overall player. It means that Strudwick fills more needs of this particular team at this time. This might not be the case if Marc Staal didn't bust into the lineup and prove so quickly how good he is and how good he can be. Because if Staal, Tyutin, and Girardi weren't taking up the minutes that Malik had been carrying, Strudwick would have been faced with a heavier workload and might not have played as well as he has to this point.

But with Rozy,Staal, Toots, and Girardi solidifying the top 4, Strudwick brings more to the 3rd pairing than Malik would.

Oh, and don't forget....

Strudwick makes TWO MILLION less than Malik.

Even if you think Malik and Strudwick are equal..... Even if you think Malik brings more to the table than Strudwick does, I don't think anyone would argue that he brings 2 million dollars more.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
silly thread, he shouldnt be on the team.

Just because he scores one game winner doesnt make up for that fact he wouldnt be playing on any other team in the nhl if it werent for the rangers loving him as a person.

the last month all everyone has been saying is that he should sit, and thats exactly what he is going to do when malik comes back.
The fact that no other NHL team offered him a contract doesn't mean we didn't make a great move offering him one. He hasn't looked out of place at all; certainly not more than Malik looks out of place on a consistent basis.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote