HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Refereeing Tips

Old
11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Refereeing Tips

Hey, folks. I've been around the game most of my life, and I'm planning on officiating during this summer's roller hockey season at the rink I play at.

I'm open to any and all advice you'd be willing to share on the subject.

Thanks a bunch!

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Grave77digger

I dont ref but dont let the rough stuff go early. It will only snowball and blow up by the end of the game.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
MikeD

solid emotional control, thick skin major character traits? If not...DONT DO IT! lol

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Stripes

-Know the basics (positioning, signals, RULES).

-Be confident when you enforce the rules. Even if you're not certain yourself, "sell the call". The more confident you appear, the more respect you will earn.

-Develop a good relationship with the players. Remember that it is their game you are officiating. Communication is key. That said, don't let the players bully you. The Unsportsmanlike Conduct rule is there for a reason.

-Last but not least, HAVE FUN!

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 10:19 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
-Put yourself in a good position to see the play but don't be in the way!

-Don't make a guess on the call...if you really arn't sure, get some help and don't try to BS your way thru it.

Only reason I mention this cause lately the refs have been in horrible positions at all my games. They get plunked with clearing passes a lot and they are not in the spot to make the correct calls. I had a ref signal a goal from the blueline even though the puck never crossed the line and he was in no position to see it. I saw it just cause I was the defenseman on the play....the guy never asked for help, just skated in and decided it was a goal.

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Thanks for all the tips so far. Here's a bit more information about my league:

4-on-4 (4-on-3 for 1-man adv., 4-on-2 for 2-man adv.), 3 13-minute running time periods. No offsides or icing. Technically a 'no-hit' league, although that kind of thing does happen from time to time and does go uncalled.

Also, a true story that really fueled me to start officiating:

My team is playing in a playoff game against another team. One of their forwards takes a shot, and my goaltender has it smothered between his legs. The ref blows the whistle, and the goaltender gets up. When he gets up, the ball trickles behind him into the net. Instead of a face-off to the left of my goalie (as it should have been), it's called a goal. (The ref was at least at the red line.)

I might be small (5'7" / 135), but I'm tough on the inside and out. I'll study the NHL rulebook this winter (our league isn't NHL-standard, but the book is the authority), and I'll go from there.

Thanks for the help, folks. If anyone has any other tips / advice, I've got a ready ear.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 12:31 AM
pepe22

Pretty much everything has been mentioned except....dress appropriately. You say it's inline, I would suggest that unless you're required to wear that ugly half and half inline jersey to go with the traditional ice sweater. It just looks so much better. Get referee pants, solid black, no stripes and definately NOT the pants you use to play. Black helmet and keep your sleeves rolled down, jersey zipped up, etc... My local inline league is pretty loose with the dress code so you'll see refs in jeans, shorts or no helmets. You'll be suprised how much respect you get from players and parents/spectators just by dressing properly. And oh yeah....it kinda helps to know the rules too

pepe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
They get plunked with clearing passes a lot
If you've been playing long enough, you should know where the officials are on the ice. I'm speaking more as a linesman because I line more than I ref, but there is little excuse for hitting an official with the puck.

When I see it coming, I make sure I give a loud "heads up!", I give the player room behind me to put it along the boards, and he has the entire width of the ice in front of me. If that puck hits me, it's the player's fault, not mine. If the shot is hard enough or anywhere near my head, that player is going to get an earful.

Old
11-14-2007, 01:29 AM
krax

1/live in the present
Do not think about missed calls, you will miss the next one.
Do not judge a player on his past.
Only see colours and numbers. It's red vs. white. It's number X and not that miserable guy I had to give a misconduct penalty in the last game

2/ communicate well with the players
during and between the shifts. Be clear, show them the limits clearly. Talk to them during the action: "stick lower", "do not grab" etc. Don't exagerate, but help them not to take penalties.

3/ a bad call well sold is better than a good call badly sold.
Yes, on the ice you're a salesman. You sell yourself (not to be misunderstood...).
Be clear, be well positioned. You called an offside which in fact was none? You were on the blue line, you blew the whistle strongly and your signal was clear -> everybody will believe you.
You call an offside or a goal? Do not stop immediately. Blow the Whistle and stop on the blue/goal line. When people see you, wour in optimal position, even if you were not.

4/communicate well with your partner. Have some secret signs: to be called, do not call etc.

5/ as already said by somebody else. Have fun.

7/ I used to have this catalog of fouls in my head. Based on real game situation s,I visualized bad hits, cross-checks, telling myself "call that one". I also had those borderline hits in my head: this one 's ok. Going over and over those movies.

8/ Build up confidence.
Be as well prepared as possible. Go early to the games and say hello to the coaches/players. Talk to them. Get feedback.
Be physically prepared. Be a very good skater. All this will help to build up confidence. At a certain stage your peripheral view will increase. You'll have the feeling to see everything, that it is impossible to miss a call. If that happens, you'll have a lot of fun.

9/ be honest/respect the players
You didn't see the cross-check? OK, **** happens, but don't tell the players you saw it and it's not worth a call. You will not last in this business when lying.

10/ love the game

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Gino 14

Be in position. The one thing you hear over and over from coaches is that they want the off-sides called. If you can't consistently be in position for those, you're not going to have much credibility when it comes to close important calls.

Know your rules. Coaches are always trying to get something for nothing and some really do know the rules. I had a coach try and get a 5 min major for kneeing because he thought it was automatic. I told him it wasn't and gave him the options. End of that discussion.

Warning a coach that is riding you can make your life a lot easier. It puts you back in control and it shuts them up. If it doesn't work, you can give him the 2 and a game.

If things get out of control, get with your partner and take an extra bit of time to work things out, take a deep breath, explain it to the coaches and get back to business. Things will settle, and usually, if a coach has a concern, he'll be civil to you if he has a moment to cool down. If not, see #3.

Have fun, it's still just a game.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 01:09 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
If you've been playing long enough, you should know where the officials are on the ice. I'm speaking more as a linesman because I line more than I ref, but there is little excuse for hitting an official with the puck.

When I see it coming, I make sure I give a loud "heads up!", I give the player room behind me to put it along the boards, and he has the entire width of the ice in front of me. If that puck hits me, it's the player's fault, not mine. If the shot is hard enough or anywhere near my head, that player is going to get an earful.
Yeah but not in instances where you just want to get the puck out in a hurry. At least twice last week the guy goes and rims the puck around the glass from behind the net and the ref is totally oblivious as to what is going on and it just hits him out near the blueline.

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Yeah but not in instances where you just want to get the puck out in a hurry. At least twice last week the guy goes and rims the puck around the glass from behind the net and the ref is totally oblivious as to what is going on and it just hits him out near the blueline.
Eventually, he'll learn to pay attention.

Old
11-14-2007, 07:15 PM
MikeD

Quote:

hey, your in play, no different than the boards or glass. ITS YOUR FAULT since you choose to be out there and did not avoid the puck. Why should a player go to any length to avoid you? We are all taught your "in play". A puck bounces off you and into the net, is it a legal goal? YES... Your "earful" could be considered an intimidation and will cause you a major loss of respect with the players. WHINE and stripes do not go well together.

Old
11-14-2007, 07:29 PM
WhoozYerrDaddy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
We are all taught your "in play". A puck bounces off you and into the net, is it a legal goal? YES...
No, it's not a goal. If it bounces off you to another player, and he puts it in, it counts. But not directly bouncing off of the official. At least in USA Hockey, anyways.

Rule 611(i) - 2007-09 USA Hockey rulebook.

WhoozYerrDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Stripes

Quote:
hey, your in play, no different than the boards or glass. ITS YOUR FAULT since you choose to be out there and did not avoid the puck. Why should a player go to any length to avoid you? We are all taught your "in play". A puck bounces off you and into the net, is it a legal goal? YES... Your "earful" could be considered an intimidation and will cause you a major loss of respect with the players. WHINE and stripes do not go well together.
Officials have their positioning procedures. If you've played any hockey at all, you KNOW the linesmen stand along the boards. You KNOW there is always a linesman just outside the blue line on one side when you're clearing it out and you KNOW there is always a linesman just inside the blue line on one side when you're dumping it in. It is your responsibility to avoid us when we are in our positions. If the same guy or team doesn't get the message and keeps hitting the official(s) with the puck, we can assess misconduct penalties for it.

No different than the boards or glass? Not bloody likely. Watch any elite hockey game and see how the linesmen react to having the puck hammered at them when they are in their proper position and easily avoidable. It's not a pleasant reaction. If a player shows a complete disregard for my personal safety by continuously shooting the puck in my direction when I am in position, he doesn't have my respect. We do our best to get out of the way, but it's not always avoidable when it's coming at you 70mph.

Also, if you hit me when I'm in position and you proceed to be cliche and tell me to get the **** out of the way, depending on my mood, I will either turn that earful into a lamb-basting or keep my mouth shut and have the referee give you a 10-minute misconduct when the play is over. I won't do both though, that's not fair.

And as mentioned, no, if a puck deflects off us and directly into the net, it does NOT count.

Whoever taught you that officials are "in play" taught you wrong. We're not just like the boards or glass where you can use us to play the puck off of.

Incase you're wondering, if I get hit when I'm out of position, I will apologize and the game will go on.

Last edited by Stripes: 11-14-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old
11-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
If the same guy or team doesn't get the message and keeps hitting the official(s) with the puck, we can assess misconduct penalties for it.

I'm not familiar with that rule, perhaps you could provide it?

Old
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
WhoozYerrDaddy

Quote:
If the same guy or team doesn't get the message and keeps hitting the official(s) with the puck, we can assess misconduct penalties for it.
Where's that rule in the book?

Quote:
If a player shows a complete disregard for my personal safety by continuously shooting the puck in my direction when I am in position, he doesn't have my respect.
That could be treated as attempted injury to official, which calls for a match penalty.

Quote:
Also, if you hit me when I'm in position and you proceed to be cliche and tell me to get the **** out of the way, depending on my mood, I will either turn that earful into a lamb-basting or keep my mouth shut and have the referee give you a 10-minute misconduct when the play is over. I won't do both though, that's not fair.
Not a very good way to earn players respect. I am sure that the referee will see what's going on and will react appropriately.

Old
11-15-2007, 05:48 PM
12 oz Papa*

One thing a ref in my old league did that I really appreciated was whenever he got me for a penalty, he'd skate with me to the box explaining what was called, why, and that it'd continue to be called, etc.

I always really appreciated that.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 06:44 PM
MikeD

Dont get me wrong. I do not advocate intentionally aiming a puck at an on ice official. That would be just plain wrong and intent to injure would be assumed. Pucks come near or strike officials very frequently and will do so many many times in a single game.

As for it not being a goal, Then Refs here are not going by the rules. I have seen goals count with the puck going directly off an official and into the net. One was off a skate and another off a shoulder.

like it or not the on ice official are IN PLAY. There is no stoppage(unless injury) and to call a penalty on a team or player for pucks coming NEAR you repeatedly is obsurd. This sounds like beer league to me not youth hockey. If your 100% that a player is acting in an intentional/retalitory fashion, understandable.

To verbally go off on any player is contrary to USA hockey guidelines and could be considered conduct unbecoming. To do so would be a total loss of emotional control. This is what officials need to avoid MOST!

Old
11-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Stripes

Quote:
like it or not the on ice official are IN PLAY. There is no stoppage(unless injury) and to call a penalty on a team or player for pucks coming NEAR you repeatedly is obsurd. This sounds like beer league to me not youth hockey. If your 100% that a player is acting in an intentional/retalitory fashion, understandable.
Technically, we are not "in play" according to your logic of what "in play" constitutes. That's nothing but an excuse to not know where the officials are.

If a player intentionally shoots the puck at an official, whether it strikes him or not, that is a Match Penalty for physical abuse of an official. In Canada, that means you don't play until your provincial branch says you can play again. It could be from 6 games (which I believe is the minimum for that penalty) up to a year or more depending on the situation in which the abuse took place.

If it's a matter of not paying attention to where you're firing the puck, the Unsportsmanlike Conduct rule is there for anything the referee deems to be unsportsmanlike.

For those of you talking about respect, it is a two-way street. Like I said in my last post, if you are playing an elite level of hockey, it is your responsibility to know where the officials are. If you don't care to take that responsibility and I am ducking pucks all game long when I am in position, the players don't have my respect. That doesn't mean I will not make the correct calls on the line to get back at you in any way, it just means exactly what it is...you don't have my respect if you completely disregard my personal safety.

Again, watch any elite hockey game (junior, college, pro, even down to Midget AAA), if a linesman has to duck while he is in position, he will likely have something to say to the player. That's just a part of the game at the higher levels. I'm not talking about tearing a strip off some kid in minor hockey. I'm talking about players who are playing at a level where they need to pay attention. Judging by your comments so far, you have no idea how often officials chew out players simply for being dumb at those elite levels of hockey.

Old
11-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Gino 14

Quote:

If it's a matter of not paying attention to where you're firing the puck, the Unsportsmanlike Conduct rule is there for anything the referee deems to be unsportsmanlike.

Please, let us in on the ruling where it gives the ref the right to call an unsportsmanlike for such an action.

Old
11-16-2007, 06:37 AM
Gino 14

Quote:

As for it not being a goal, Then Refs here are not going by the rules. I have seen goals count with the puck going directly off an official and into the net. One was off a skate and another off a shoulder.
Mike,

Sounds like your officials may need a refresher.

USAH rule 614

e) If a goal is scored as a result of a puck being deflected
directly into the goal from an Official, the goal shall not be
allowed.

Old
11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
WhoozYerrDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post

USAH rule 614

e) If a goal is scored as a result of a puck being deflected
directly into the goal from an Official, the goal shall not be
allowed.
Oops, on my part. Rule 614(e) does indeed disallow the goal when directly deflected off of an official.

The rule I quoted 611(i) establishes the faceoff at one of the defending zone faceoff spots, should a goal be disallowed for this reason.

Thanks for the correction.

Old
11-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Lunachicken

Send a message via MSN to Lunachicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taves View Post
One thing a ref in my old league did that I really appreciated was whenever he got me for a penalty, he'd skate with me to the box explaining what was called, why, and that it'd continue to be called, etc.

I always really appreciated that.
Agree!

Lunachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Please, let us in on the ruling where it gives the ref the right to call an unsportsmanlike for such an action.
It's Unsportsmanlike Conduct. While there may be actions detailed in the rulebook that call for this penalty automatically, just because something is not listed does not mean a referee cannot call Unsportsmanlike Conduct for something he judges to be unsportsmanlike. There are grey areas in some rules. This is one of them.

Seeing your location, you're likely familiar with USA Hockey's rulebook. I am not familiar with it and do not know how USA Hockey polices such actions. I am familiar with Hockey Canada's rulebook. In Canada, I can call Unsportsmanlike Conduct for anything I judge to be unsportsmanlike. It is up to my judgment.