HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bonk vs Smolinsky

Old
11-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Evil Ted

vCash: 500
People underestimated what bonk did for us last season, we would be a better team if he was playing for us.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 08:37 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Bonk kills Smolinski.. every. ****ing. time.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 04:50 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I know Smoke is not doing to much better and I personally would not mind if he were waived. But Bonk well he has vanished.

Bonk is now a -17 and has 6 points in his last 19 games.
I am glad we do not have him for the rest of this year and next.

Smoke has 7 in the same time but is just a -6.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I know Smoke is not doing to much better and I personally would not mind if he were waived. But Bonk well he has vanished.

Bonk is now a -17 and has 6 points in his last 19 games.
I am glad we do not have him for the rest of this year and next.

Smoke has 7 in the same time but is just a -6.
Bonk has a new role in Nashville... He's supposed to be an offensive player for them, where he had more of a defensive role for us....

I'd still take Bonk over Smokes, for the role he would be assigned on this team.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Bonk-last-year is better than Smolinski-this-year, and I think it's by enough of a margin that I'd also rather have Bonk w/ his current contract length of 2 years over Smolinski on the 1yr/$2M deal. Maybe we wouldn't *need* that extra year from Bonk, maybe it would turn out that we did. But either way, it's less than $1M total on top of what we're paying Smolinski, so it's no real harm.

The only thing we aren't capable of factoring into the equation is the chemistry aspect. If Smolinski truly is bringing some extra value in the room that we can't see, well, that could change things.

And while Mike8 made some good points about Smolinski's style advantages - which might also be expanded to include the PP points he has chipped in as the right shot guy (although I think any RH shot parachuted into the job would probably do the same thing) - there's still a problem there: and that's that Smolinski has really only done a consistently good job at those things that he's capable of in maybe half the games he has played. I agree that he does seem to be _capable_ of giving us an advantage over Bonk... *IF* he was consistently displaying those attributes. But he's had some other games/stretches where he has been totally inept, where any theoretical transitional or anticipational advantage he might have been capable of were nullified by passivity or turnovers/fumbles, so that Bonk's more level output and simplicity wins out.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I don't get why we had to choose between bad and worst....We were capable in doing much much better than those 2. Obviously, if the choice is really between them, it's Bonk no question....doesn't say a whole lot though....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

I always felt bonk was very robust defensively... I couldn't give a rats ass about his offensive production, a bonus if anything.

Smoke is a useless player right now. The only reason he's still on the team is because is not much worse than the rest of the bottom-6 forwards (that & the habs management has no spine)

I'm very disappointed with out bottom-6 as of late. Historically we've always had a good third line (as of late anyway), guys like:

Juneau
Johnson
Bonk
Prerezhogin
Brunet

this year, I'm quite disappointed with guys like Lapierre and Begin. Kosto is ok, but he doesn't bring anything to the table. I seriously think Gainey should make a move to improve the 3rd line, because he can do so without sacrificing anything but players we dont want anymore rather than prospects or real assets

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM1ke View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that we should have kept Bonk instead of signing up Smolinsky??

Bryan is slower and keeps making errors in our defensive zone. Bonk was reliable defensively and was scoring some goals at least! (not only empty netters!)

For almost the same salary, I would have definitively resigned Bonk instead of Smolinsky...
I find Smolinski is better...his offensive numbers are superior even being used with Begin and Kotso...Bonk played with 2 moere skilled players in Perezhogin and Johnson. Bonk was better on faceoffs but Smolinski is the much better player, he just isn't used properly.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 07:16 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
Chipchura > Bonk > Smoke
That is why Gainey wouldn't give Bonk a two year contract. Chipchura is our future third line center. Smolinski is just keeping the seat warm.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 08:04 AM
neofury*

no your not, but it depends really on what bonk was willing to take as a salary. I doubt Gainey just let him walk, he probably wanted too much. I do wish we still had Bonk tho, I liked the guy a lot, great player, can fill almost any role.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 08:04 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Chipchura could take Smolinski's job and Lapierre could replace Chip on the 4th line.

So far he's pretty useless.
Comment of the day award goes to.....

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Isn't the main difference the length of their contracts? While Bonk would at the very least bring a similar if not better contribution than Smolinski, I like the idea that Smolinski is only bound to the team for 1 year.

The idea, I'm pretty certain, is that Smolinski serves as a stop-gap to fill-in while Chipchura develops. Chipchura is in fact developing faster than I'd have anticipated and may very well move up in the depth chart before the season is over (some may even argue he already has).

I have no evidence, but I'd guess that Bonk wasn't interested in a 1 year contract and based on the offer he received from Nashville, he was right to believe he could do a little better (2 years).

Smolinski also provides a right-handed face-off option - that said his face-off % numbers are not that great so far (46%) whereas Bonk's are better (52%).

Bottom line though, I think that management signing Smoke over Bonk had more to do with the contract lengths they were willing to accept and the fact that management are anticipating that the home-grown youth will overtake 3rd line center duties by next season.
I think you nailed it. Contract length was the issue. I think they hoped Smolinski could give them a bit of versatility, being able to play on scoring lines for short periods, but it hasn't worked out. Whatever leaves you when your game goes south, has left him. The 3-4 games after he ret'd from injury were what we hoped to see. Against NJ, and a few leading up to the breal made the lineup look very structured. When he declined again, the whole lineup looks a bit less organized.

I don't know what little things they look for in his role, but I guess they saw some things that concerned them with Chipchura's game. I'll defer to the staff on this one becuase if anyone understand that particular role, you'd have to think it would be Gainey,Carbo and Jarvis. Doesn't mean I like it in my armchair capacity though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
Chipchura > Bonk > Smoke
Exactly

Gainey wanted to sign a player just in case Chip wasn't ready but wanted to sign a player for 1 year.Bonk wanted a 2 year deal so Gainey said no.

But Bonk is better then Smoke no doubt about it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 09:12 AM
revin5*

seeing what Bonk's making for his 2 year contract, I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd taken a 1 year at the same terms as Smolinski... and for the record I was one of the few who thought he played great for us... even during the first half of the first year he played here. His positional play was that impressive and he was an immovable force along the wall. I'm still certain that him and Kovalev would have been a great tandem... but if that had happened we wouldn't have seen the emergence of Plekanec.

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 09:19 AM
BadHabit

Bonk+Johnson >>>>> Smokes+Lappy/Kostopoulis.

Who cares about their "offensive" abilities... these guys were a GREAT shutdown line. We don't have a shutdown line this year and it hurts. In fact, a Bonk Johnson Dandenault would probably work pretty well. I don't think Bonk's +/- this year has any bearing on what he would have done in Mtl, different teams, different situations.

Bottom line... I miss Bonk. Even if it had've been for 2 years, Chips could've played on another line or even the same line as Bonk - just give the center position to whoever won more faceoffs.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Some people like living in the past...if Bonk was with Begin and Kotso and being matched up against top lines people would be complaining even more.

Old
02-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I remember hearing that Bonk wanted a 2 year deal from Gainey. If so, that may explain it. However, so far and all things being equal, there is no doubt that I would rather have Bonk.
He gave a two year deal to Tom Kostopuseless. I know it's a different role, but really...what's more important? A Shutdown center for an energy line player who doesn't provide anything.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
I guess they wanted a backup plan in case Chipchura couldn't deliver on his rookie year, and Bonk asking for an extra year didn't fit well into those plans... The issue I have with Smolinski is that anyone who watched the Canucks (or the Hawks) last season clearly saw that he is no longer the useful player he once was. I really wonder why the habs gave him of all players available a 2M contract. My pick would have been Peca, even with the injury issue.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
He gave a two year deal to Tom Kostopuseless. I know it's a different role, but really...what's more important? A Shutdown center for an energy line player who doesn't provide anything.
Kotsopoulos provides a lot of energy and physical play WHEN he is used like an energy player. When you use him in a checking line against the opposition's top line, he can't run around and run people over(at least not in the Hbas scheme). Begin is the same.

The "no fighting" crap takes away from the Habs game also...guys like Komi Kotso Begin Lapierre O'byrne need to "lay the smackdown" once in awhile.

Old
02-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Kotsopoulos provides a lot of energy and physical play WHEN he is used like an energy player. When you use him in a checking line against the opposition's top line, he can't run around and run people over(at least not in the Hbas scheme). Begin is the same.

The "no fighting" crap takes away from the Habs game also...guys like Komi Kotso Begin Lapierre O'byrne need to "lay the smackdown" once in awhile.
The only guy who can fight out of them is O'By. Komi should never fight, he's too useful to us.

Lapierre doesn't fight, he's a girl. Begin can't take big guys, Kosto can't take anyone.

Old
02-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The only guy who can fight out of them is O'By. Komi should never fight, he's too useful to us.

Lapierre doesn't fight, he's a girl. Begin can't take big guys, Kosto can't take anyone.
It's not about who you can take or can't take, it's about dropping the gloves when needed instead of always walking away with your tail between your legs.

Yeah Komi is useful but so are guys like Shanhan and Tkachuk and they fight at times.

Old
02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not about who you can take or can't take, it's about dropping the gloves when needed instead of always walking away with your tail between your legs.

Yeah Komi is useful but so are guys like Shanhan and Tkachuk and they fight at times.
Komi is much more important to our team's success than Tkachuk or Shanahan are to theirs (for 5 mins that is).

Old
02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think you nailed it. Contract length was the issue. I think they hoped Smolinski could give them a bit of versatility, being able to play on scoring lines for short periods, but it hasn't worked out. Whatever leaves you when your game goes south, has left him. The 3-4 games after he ret'd from injury were what we hoped to see. Against NJ, and a few leading up to the breal made the lineup look very structured. When he declined again, the whole lineup looks a bit less organized.

I don't know what little things they look for in his role, but I guess they saw some things that concerned them with Chipchura's game. I'll defer to the staff on this one becuase if anyone understand that particular role, you'd have to think it would be Gainey,Carbo and Jarvis. Doesn't mean I like it in my armchair capacity though.
No doubt in my mind that Bonk would of been more useful to the Habs. Better on face-offs, better at killing penalties. I also find Smoke very soft in our own end, Bonk provided more of a presence.

I'm not sure I buy the contract length as the motivating factor. I think they wanted someone with more of an offensive upside which Smoke should have provided. That being said, I'm not sure Smoke has been provided with the oppotunity to really show what he can do.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM1ke View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that we should have kept Bonk instead of signing up Smolinsky??

Bryan is slower and keeps making errors in our defensive zone. Bonk was reliable defensively and was scoring some goals at least! (not only empty netters!)

For almost the same salary, I would have definitively resigned Bonk instead of Smolinsky...
Ya. Bonk >>> Smolinski in terms of shutting down other teams lines.

Last year we could put the Bonk line out against almost any top line in the league and he would frustrate them all night long. This year our checking line may as well not exist for the amount of effectiveness they have...

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Komi is much more important to our team's success than Tkachuk or Shanahan are to theirs (for 5 mins that is).
I don't really agree with that...and I meant Shanny or Tkachuk in their prime...obviously neither is as useful or feisty as they were 5 years ago.