Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anaheim sends 2009 2nd round pick to Washington for Sutherby

Old
11-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
It was wierd, I got a text message from TSN telling me about the trade, and when I first read it, and only saw that Brian Sutherby was dealt somewhere, I for some reason knew right away he was dealt to Anaheim. It was definetely weird. Same thing happened earlier in the day when Jon Garland was dealt to the Angels, and even in the past when Jeff Friesen was dealt to Anaheim. Weird.

Anyway, I kinda like it. Sutherby seems tailor-made for this team, and maybe he can regain some of his form. One of his weaknesses seems to be skating, so that could be a good thing, as it seems every player who comes here learns to skate much better.

I'm not certain this means Marchant is gone right away, as Sutherby can likely play wing and isn't that great defensively, but I think it means he's gone eventually. Probably not for much, but, as dry as the trade market is, I don't doubt we can find a team needing a player like Marchant. I could see Buffalo, as they need something, and it would be nice for Todd to get to go back home. I could really get into a fourth line of May-Sutherby-Parros/Miller, with Mowers being the other scratch. Well, I guess once Tuzzi gets back I'd probably want Miller on a line with him and Mac, but I'm talking long-term, as in when some Finnish snipers finally gets on the ice.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Kick Save

A couple of observations:

1. Burke doesn't have a high regard for Second Round picks. He gave one up for Friesen, another for Parros (four or five weeks after the Kings put him on waivers) and several others (whose names don't spring to mind). What did we give up for Brad May? Or was that one of the goalie prospects?

2. Why is everyone so anxious to trade Todd Marchant? I don't know a heckuva alot about Sutherby, but he strikes me as more of a "banger"---much more of a Brad May than a Todd Marchant. Marchant is a great penalty killer, good for a few short-handed goals each year, great skater and good faceoff man. Frankly, I think he's underestimated and underapprciated. (Wasn't he the leading scorer or second leading scorer for the Ducks in the 2005 playoffs).

3. People on this board are always guessing that a minor deal is the precursor of a bigger deal to come. I can't say it won't happen, but I don't think Marchant or Andy Mac are going anywhere any time soon.

Kick Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Bandit34

Sutherby should a nice addition to the toughest team in the league. Can play the game a bit also. 25 years old. You guys will like him.

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Does Francois Allaire teach skating too or something?

Perry and Getzlaf definitely got way better at skating since they got here. Especially Perry.

I guess it could just be hard work.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdmania View Post
Who else knows anything about Sutherby? What can he bring to this team? Stengths/weaknesses?

Strengths....

Leadership, physicality, bigtime team guy, hits, fights, solid defensively, decent PKer.

Weaknesses....

Scoring touch

You guys picked up an solid team guy. He's never been quite the same (mobility-wise) since a groin injury a few years ago. It was a mystery as to why he wasn't in the lineup more in DC this year. He remained a alternate captain the whole time though. I really hope he finds a good home with the Ducks because he's the type of guy you want on your team.

My wife is heartbroken.

She's now taken down her license plates...."Suts Fan". It's a day of mourning in my house.

Good luck Suts!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Mr Sakich

a question for Duck's fans - when he was a boy, did Brian Burke have his lunch stolen by a 2nd round draft pick?

He seems to have this hate for 2nd round picks. It is almost like he goes into anaphelactic shock when he comes near them.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Foy

Anaheim just picked up my favorite player from the last ten years, and the second longest tenured Capital (behind Olie). He hadn't gotten a lot of chances to play this year, but the reasons behind that are unknown.

In my profile, there's a link to a blog a friend of mine and I started in response to the fact that Sutherby was getting consistently benched. If you are interested in some highlights or whatever, feel free to check it out.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Metallian*

well it all makes sense now. he was likely offered a 2nd for bryzgalov, but because of his 2ndophobia he rushed to put him on waivers rather than take the dreaded 2nd

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
_h0sehead_
I hate 'quackers'

sweet, I'll be looking forward to seeing him on the ice. . .maybe some new chemistry

_h0sehead_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
_h0sehead_
I hate 'quackers'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
a question for Duck's fans - when he was a boy, did Brian Burke have his lunch stolen by a 2nd round draft pick?

He seems to have this hate for 2nd round picks. It is almost like he goes into anaphelactic shock when he comes near them.
or maybe he just got his lunch stolen a lot (hence +6' players)

_h0sehead_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
I'm not too upset with this trade, sounds like we got a good team guy who'll fit in well. Though I do kinda wish Burke would stop trading so many damn 2nd rounders...

I don't, however, like the sound that Miller could be sent down. He's been one of the guys I've been a fan of all season.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Fighter
Legend

Burke hates second rounders.

Well, I'm getting used to see what seem a dumb move turning gold. Let's see.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:30 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
After ruminating on this some more, I had some more thoughts.

I like the acquisition, but the cost seems a little high. Actually that can probably be said for almost all of Burke's moves. The only moves I haven't liked from the get go were Bertuzzi and Friesen. I think he's great at finding the right buy, but then overpays to get the right guy.

Based on my (possibly wrong) impression that Sutherby is essentially Brad May with slightly more offense and slightly less grit, I'm betting he goes on the line with Perry and Getzlaf. Kunitz moves to help Andy Mac, and Mowers gets kicked down to the 4th line spot he should be in.

Sutherby-Getzlaf-Perry
Kunitz-MacDonald-Marchant
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
May-Mowers-Parros

And finally, I've changed my mind, I don't think Burke makes any more moves for awhile. And I don't think Sutherby is good enough defensively to move Marchant. When Bert comes back, he goes on McDonald's line, Marchant moves to the 4th line, and Mowers and Parros alternate scratches.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Why cant we trade for someone with goal scoring ability? How many 3rd/4th line players does this team really need?

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Diggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Save View Post
2. Why is everyone so anxious to trade Todd Marchant? I don't know a heckuva alot about Sutherby, but he strikes me as more of a "banger"---much more of a Brad May than a Todd Marchant. Marchant is a great penalty killer, good for a few short-handed goals each year, great skater and good faceoff man. Frankly, I think he's underestimated and underapprciated. (Wasn't he the leading scorer or second leading scorer for the Ducks in the 2005 playoffs)..
I don't think anyone is anxious to trade him, just that he is an asset that can be traded. The Ducks just do not need anyone of Marchant's talent or salary on the 4th line. Especially when we are typically running 3 lines with the 4th line getting a shift 1 or 2 times a period.

In the last few games Marchant has been getting more ice time with McDonald, but when Bertuzzi comes back I am not sure what will happen.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick Save View Post
2. Why is everyone so anxious to trade Todd Marchant? I don't know a heckuva alot about Sutherby, but he strikes me as more of a "banger"---much more of a Brad May than a Todd Marchant. Marchant is a great penalty killer, good for a few short-handed goals each year, great skater and good faceoff man. Frankly, I think he's underestimated and underapprciated. (Wasn't he the leading scorer or second leading scorer for the Ducks in the 2005 playoffs).
Price tag. Marchant makes over $2.5 million this year and next, and that money could be better spent elsewhere. I really like Marchant, but Sutherby can replace him as the 4th line center and Getzlaf can replace him on the PK. Plus, I'm sure Todd Marchant would love to be dealt out East, and it'd be nice to reward him like that.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Why cant we trade for someone with goal scoring ability? How many 3rd/4th line players does this team really need?
What are you talking about? He scored 7 goals last season! Rocket Richard trophy, here we come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
I don't think anyone is anxious to trade him, just that he is an asset that can be traded. The Ducks just do not need anyone of Marchant's talent or salary on the 4th line. Especially when we are typically running 3 lines with the 4th line getting a shift 1 or 2 times a period.

In the last few games Marchant has been getting more ice time with McDonald, but when Bertuzzi comes back I am not sure what will happen.
Marchant is more than just a 4th liner though. He only gets 4th line minutes ES, but he's the anchor of our 2nd PK unit, and gets the 3rd most PK time. He's 7th on our forwards in total ice time with ~16:30 min/game, compared to the other 4th liners Parros and May, who get 5 and 7 minutes per game respectively. And last year he got 15 minutes per game and was 6th amongst our forwards, so it's not all due to his stint on the 2nd line.

That said I think he's the first player gone if we have cap problems. Wirtanen or Carter should be able to fill in on the 4th line, and Getzlaf probably fills in as the 2nd PK faceoff man.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Theridion

From what I gather, Burke has always been a believer in underdogs... or more likely, if a player has a bit of skill and can play in the NHL, there's always a chance they can bust out and find a fire in the right system.

Signing undrafted players and turning a bit of trash from other teams into our own gold, perhaps Burke is looking to find the right bit of chemistry.

A second rounder is a bit high, but its not a terrible trade... the only negative thing about the trade is, "is that the type of player we really need to trade for?"

Oh well, it IS exciting to see new players popping in and out of the lineup (when we are winning). And I enjoy knowing that most of the Ducks are pretty good guys with a lot of leadership and team moral... hopefully he fits right in and finds a partner.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

Bringing this back just days later because it once again seems to be appropriate...

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Dirk316

I figured this would happen, dont be surprised to see him playing with Andy Mac and Miller with Marchant going back to the 4th line. Another player who could prove to be a great surprise. Great talent who never got a chance playing for a organization that doesnt value tough gritty players.

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Diggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Marchant is more than just a 4th liner though. He only gets 4th line minutes ES, but he's the anchor of our 2nd PK unit, and gets the 3rd most PK time. He's 7th on our forwards in total ice time with ~16:30 min/game, compared to the other 4th liners Parros and May, who get 5 and 7 minutes per game respectively. And last year he got 15 minutes per game and was 6th amongst our forwards, so it's not all due to his stint on the 2nd line.

That said I think he's the first player gone if we have cap problems. Wirtanen or Carter should be able to fill in on the 4th line, and Getzlaf probably fills in as the 2nd PK faceoff man.
I agree with everything you said. The only problem with him, IMO, is that he is a 1st line quality center playing on the 4th line ES. He is a great player and a huge value to our team.

It is for those reasons above and the fact that McDonald is struggling this year and doesn't seem to fit well with Selanne's speed gone that I feel McDonald may be moved instead of Marchant.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 07:07 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

why move mcdonald when he is the only speed we have left on the team.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
I think Marchant will be on the 2nd line left wing for now if/until he's traded.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Theridion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
why move mcdonald when he is the only speed we have left on the team.
I agree. Its far easier to find a speed winger with a scoring touch to match with McDonald and Kunitz (or someone else?) to make a scoring line, than it is to deal away McDonald and try to make a scoring line from scratch.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 07:51 PM
LondonKnightsCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
I agree. Its far easier to find a speed winger with a scoring touch to match with McDonald and Kunitz (or someone else?) to make a scoring line, than it is to deal away McDonald and try to make a scoring line from scratch.

Trading Mac at this point seems unlikely. 1st his current value is greatly deflated by the poor season he's having and its doubtful we'd get much in return for an offensive player who is not currently provided offense.

Plus at some point we will need a line to take some of the pressure off the Getz line and from last year we all know that Andy is quite capable if he has decent linemates.

I think the Sutherby deal is a solid one, he has more ability than he's shown so far in the NHL and we may just have aquired a 15-20 goal man in exchange for a lousy 2nd round draft pick. 2nd rounders suck, we should trade them away every season - heck if Parros is worth a 2nd then the Caps should have got a 2nd and a 3rd for Sutherby!

LondonKnightsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote