Send a message via AIM to sammyp
I like it.

sammyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 10:54 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

vCash: 500
ok guys McDonald isn't going anywhere...you are not going to get a good goal scorer back for McDonald. Why would a team trade scoring for scoring? Teams that want McDonald would offer prospects/picks not one of their own top 6 forwards.

This move allows Kunitz to go back to the McDonald line with Bertuzzi coming back soon. Sutherby should be a good fit on Getz's wing. As long as he crashes the net he will be fine. Burke doesn't make this trade to play Sutherby with Parros and May...and the Pahlsson line is set...so obviously Sutherby is going to get a long look in the top 6.

Kunitz-McDonald-Bertuzzi
Sutherby-Getzlaf-Perry
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
May-Marchant-Parros

extra: Mowers
AHL:Carter, Miller

McDonald19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Foy

Here's an interview with Brian Sutherby conducted by the Caps' beat article for the Washington Post just after the trade. It says Sutherby will be centering the 4th line.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit...by_reacts.html

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 01:00 AM
lux_interior

Not too excited about this move. A gamble by Burke, although a relatively cheap one. Sometimes it pays off...Beauchemin.

Sometimes not. Mark Hartigan.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
I think its the right decision having his center the 4th line, but I really want to see him with Perry and Getzlaf once in a while. Whoever we put with Getz and Perry look really good, I wonder if Sutherby will get a huge boost like Penner, I'm sure he has good hands and stuff for a big guy being a center and a first round pick.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 01:58 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
I think its the right decision having his center the 4th line, but I really want to see him with Perry and Getzlaf once in a while. Whoever we put with Getz and Perry look really good, I wonder if Sutherby will get a huge boost like Penner, I'm sure he has good hands and stuff for a big guy being a center and a first round pick.
You forgot the best part. He's an RFA after this season. So Kevin Lowe can give him and his (hopefully) inflated stats an offer sheet. Then we have a shot at Tavares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Here's an interview with Brian Sutherby conducted by the Caps' beat article for the Washington Post just after the trade. It says Sutherby will be centering the 4th line.

Thanks for the link. So the beat writer thinks he'll be 4th line center?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post

Two things about that article make me believe Marchant is on the way out. One being that Sutherby is projected as our fourth line center, which was Marchant's role, and the other that Burke has been after him since training camp. If Burke tried to get him in training camp, IMO that means he's wanted to find a replacement for Marchant first before dealing him. If this is true, I expect Marchant to be dealt within a couple weeks tops.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 02:45 AM
Markus078

First of all, I really like the trade and I hope thet Suts fits well with Getz and Perry. I think this is the reason why Burke wanted him. Anyway, I really don't know why some here think that Burke does not like 2nd rounders. Since Burke took over we drafted:

Mikkelsson on #31
Swan on spot #38
Tangradi on #42

So you see Burke still values 2nd rounders but he does not value low 2nd rounders and I think he is right. I mean it is not a huge difference if you draft between spot 50 - 60 or in the third round. But there seems to be a huge difference in the return you get from other teams. It's always a huge gamble in that area. I also don't think that Burke will trade away a top 40 pic so quickly.

Sutherby is a typical player for the ducks and he seems to be a guy that steps up in the playoffs. I just hope that we finally get Kyle Beach in the draft (I don't think Edmonton will finish top 3). So we will be the most physical and for sure the most hated team in the NHL and Sutherby is another piece in that puzzle. Considering that he was a 1st rounder and the possilbe upside the price is ok because our Coach knows him and for that reason he is no dark horse.

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 02:58 AM
Randall Graves*

Great another 3rd/4th line player, we only have about...8 on the active roster right now..

And the cap space we gained from waiving Bryz is basically gone. Burke is not the best asset manager.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 03:19 AM
bleuer

Send a message via Yahoo to bleuer
Is Sutherby much of an upgrade compared to Miller and Carter? Don't really like this move

bleuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuer View Post
Is Sutherby much of an upgrade compared to Miller and Carter? Don't really like this move
I think he is and most importantly he plays more Burkeish -game than those two.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 06:11 AM
ktulu98

maybe marchant to bruins?

I know he isn't replacement for bergeon but...

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Markus078

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
maybe marchant to bruins?

I know he isn't replacement for bergeon but...
I just wonder what Boston can give us for that?

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Henkka

I think Minnesota would need Marchant now. Walz is maybe retiring and Koivu is injured. He should fit well to their defensive system as a defensive player.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Great another 3rd/4th line player, we only have about...8 on the active roster right now..

And the cap space we gained from waiving Bryz is basically gone. Burke is not the best asset manager.
Ducks actually lost about $1.5 mil in cap space from replacing bryz with Hiller.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Giguere27

I like this move.Sutherby is,for sure,not the sniper,most of us are looking for,but he can be an important player for this team.Remember how well play May with Getz and Perry in the playoffs last year,so why should not Sutherby contribute with them.
And Burke has a good history with acquiring unknown players.We got Beauchemin,Moen and Fedoruk,so perhaps Sutherby is the next one.
But give him some games until you start bashing him!

Giguere27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Diggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
ok guys McDonald isn't going anywhere...you are not going to get a good goal scorer back for McDonald. Why would a team trade scoring for scoring? Teams that want McDonald would offer prospects/picks not one of their own top 6 forwards.
Not all goal scorers are the same. For example, Kariya is a goal scorer who would not fit will with the Ducks current team.

I like McDonald, I just do not see him fitting in the system as well as I would like right now. The only player he seems to be playing well with right now is Kunitz, who is also playing his best with Getz & Perry. McDonald is a great player, I just see him now as a round peg with a Ducks roster full or holes that are not round.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post

This move allows Kunitz to go back to the McDonald line with Bertuzzi coming back soon. Sutherby should be a good fit on Getz's wing. As long as he crashes the net he will be fine. Burke doesn't make this trade to play Sutherby with Parros and May...and the Pahlsson line is set...so obviously Sutherby is going to get a long look in the top 6.

Kunitz-McDonald-Bertuzzi
Sutherby-Getzlaf-Perry
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
May-Marchant-Parros

extra: Mowers
AHL:Carter, Miller
If you're looking for top-6 contributions from Sutherby, prepared to be angry watching him play. I guess stranger things have happened, but he's got one decent goal scoring season and can't really finish that well.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 02:13 PM
TeMoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
If you're looking for top-6 contributions from Sutherby, prepared to be angry watching him play. I guess stranger things have happened, but he's got one decent goal scoring season and can't really finish that well.
We know how that feels, the Ducks have Rob Niedermayer on the 2nd PP unit right now.

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 02:14 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Well let's ask a Caps fan. He doesn't need to be a top-6-worthy per se.

Ingredients to produce with Getzlaf/Perry: Be good at the cycle/forecheck and then willing to drive to the net/slot for Getzlaf and Perry to bounce pucks off of or to knock in rebounds. And to be able to pass it to Getzlaf and Perry when they drive to the net. Hit. Provide decent defense. And be prepared to back them up physically when they start **** (he doesn't have to fight all the battles, but just to help out when needed). Scoring touch is less necessary than willingness to go to the front of the net and tap in gimmes or rebounds. Or to push the goalie in... because goaltender interference is gonna get it.

Your earlier description of hits/fights/solid defensively sounds like a pretty good start. How's he on cycling and forechecking? The mobility thing is a slight concern in terms of can he beat the defender to pick up a dump in?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 02:33 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Sutherby was acquired to center the fourth line. I heard that Carter was sent to Portland today so that makes sense. Marchant hasn't centered the fourth line in almost a month so I don't see him moving anywhere either. When Bertuzzi comes back I think T-bone will simply move to the LW on Mac's line. Miller has made great progress but isn't scoring goals. With the speed of Marchant and McDonald and the hands of Bertuzzi, that should be a good line. So I see the lineup looking like this:

Kunitz - Getzlaf - Perry
Marchant - McDonald - Bertuzzi
Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermayer
May/Miller - Sutherby - Parros/Miller

Marchant won't be traded for a couple of reasons. One, no one wants his contract. I love Marchy but the guy makes a mil and a half more than he should. No one will give up picks and prospects for him. There's a reason he went through waivers twice. Second, he's very valuable to us. He's a key PKer, our second best face-off man, a leader in the room and a guy who always gives it his best. His value to this team isn't on the scoresheet. It would be nice if he scored more and I'm hoping getting Bert back will help. I can't see Marchant getting traded until after this season and even than it will be tough.

As for everyone thinks Sutherby will be a good fit with Getz and Perry. What's wrong with Kunitz? That line is dynamite right now. Carlyle would have to be crazy to break them up. Sutherby is a fourth liner right now, plain and simple. It'll be detrimental to this team to break up that line now.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:05 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Well let's ask a Caps fan. He doesn't need to be a top-6-worthy per se.

Ingredients to produce with Getzlaf/Perry: Be good at the cycle/forecheck and then willing to drive to the net/slot for Getzlaf and Perry to bounce pucks off of or to knock in rebounds. And to be able to pass it to Getzlaf and Perry when they drive to the net. Hit. Provide decent defense. And be prepared to back them up physically when they start **** (he doesn't have to fight all the battles, but just to help out when needed). Scoring touch is less necessary than willingness to go to the front of the net and tap in gimmes or rebounds. Or to push the goalie in... because goaltender interference is gonna get it.

Your earlier description of hits/fights/solid defensively sounds like a pretty good start. How's he on cycling and forechecking? The mobility thing is a slight concern in terms of can he beat the defender to pick up a dump in?
I would tend to think that Suts could be a good replacement for Penner. He's smaller, but he brings some of the same qualities. He's also a pretty good playmaker when given the chance to play with guys who can finish, which he was never really given a shot to do here in DC.

Will he beat a defender to the puck on a dump? Most of the time, probably not. But he'll be right there with him ready to play the body which should force turnovers. He can cycle fine, but don't expect him to be a great puck possessor.

I'm hoping to see him shine in the Ducks system.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

any idea on what number he will wear?

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 08:24 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
Not all goal scorers are the same. For example, Kariya is a goal scorer who would not fit will with the Ducks current team.

I like McDonald, I just do not see him fitting in the system as well as I would like right now. The only player he seems to be playing well with right now is Kunitz, who is also playing his best with Getz & Perry. McDonald is a great player, I just see him now as a round peg with a Ducks roster full or holes that are not round.
You can't roll 4 lines without speed. I think Burke is smart enough to know he needs one scoring line with speed and thats what McDonald and Kunitz can give him. Now if that Selanne guy would just show up we'd be set.

McDonald19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:44 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
any idea on what number he will wear?

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote