HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where's Jaromir Jagr?

Old
11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Jay88*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
I disagreed with this earlier but I'd be actually be willing if this pace keeps up.

Maybe it's not just Jagrs' play anymore. Maybe he just can't play at the NHL level anymore, it just seems he can't shake off the defenders that are always on him (I don't blame him, he's swarmed everytime he has the puck).

He almost never gets a clear shot to the net (hence 4 goals). Leads the team in giveaways AND missed shots.. I mean c'mon man, your the superstar forward on the team, not anyone else.

I'd be willing to trade him if this keeps up in the next 20 games, at the 40 game mark if he isn't with at least 40 points +/- or isn't making a valiant effort, I would dump him fast, let him spend 1,5 years somewhere else and we can get something good.

Yeah, I know it hurts cup chances, but I don't think overall that much. Jagr doesn't seem to be doing much of anything these days.
First i would be all for trading Jagr though it wont happen, if NYR got a deal thats a steal do it now, if not wait till next year and trade him off to a team looking to make a opush, all depends on where NYR is as well.

second to say Jagr cant play in the NHL now is silly, the guy is a HOF'er. you just dont have a career like he did to all the suddne the NHL is to much . he isolder but only 35.Somethingis going on with him. i dont know what, maybe its personal famil problems that are affecting him. Who knows.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 03:51 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Jagr's played like crap, but maybe he'll come around. The season is still young and if Jagr's at the top of his game come playoff time, that's when we need him, not now.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 03:53 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
SHOOT THE ******* PUCK!!! He joked in pre-season that he'd punch Gomez if he didn't pass to him... for what??? What's he gonna do with the puck?????? Lose it at the halfboards? Or carry it behind the net and pass it front to an opposing defender? Maybe he'll just get undressed in the corners by a player half his size... 17 pts. in 21 games is good... for Jaromir Jagr, it's inexecusable... he'd have to go 2ppg in the next 20 to make the All-Star team. But hey, at least Hank will, and Rozsival if he keeps it up.

Maybe it's time to stick a fork in Jagr... if he spoke so highly of Orr, maybe he'd like to play on a line with him and Betts.

Avery-Dubinsky-Rozsival
Hollweg-Gomez-Moore
Prucha-Drury-Shanahan
Orr-Betts-Jagr

Tyutin-Girardi
Staal-Hossa
Strudwick-Mara

Yes, it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but why not?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:01 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rozsival as a forward and Hossa as a defenseman? Hollweg on the 2nd line? I hope you're joking.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:14 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

its almost as hard to find him here, as it was to find him on the ice against the isles.

i see him on the ferris wheel

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:18 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
SHOOT THE ******* PUCK!!! He joked in pre-season that he'd punch Gomez if he didn't pass to him... for what??? What's he gonna do with the puck?????? Lose it at the halfboards? Or carry it behind the net and pass it front to an opposing defender? Maybe he'll just get undressed in the corners by a player half his size... 17 pts. in 21 games is good... for Jaromir Jagr, it's inexecusable... he'd have to go 2ppg in the next 20 to make the All-Star team. But hey, at least Hank will, and Rozsival if he keeps it up.

Maybe it's time to stick a fork in Jagr... if he spoke so highly of Orr, maybe he'd like to play on a line with him and Betts.

Avery-Dubinsky-Rozsival
Hollweg-Gomez-Moore
Prucha-Drury-Shanahan
Orr-Betts-Jagr

Tyutin-Girardi
Staal-Hossa
Strudwick-Mara

Yes, it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, but why not?

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
look for the guy doing figure 8's with the puck and then nailed into the corner and watching the team break out 4-3 thats Jagrs game this year.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
DontStaal

well i found waldo... and some clown who looks like he's holding a hockey stick

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:35 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

I was afraid this was going to happen with him - check out this thread that I started before we played our first game; you will see many were wrong with their initial assessment.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=426152

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 08:21 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD View Post
I was afraid this was going to happen with him - check out this thread that I started before we played our first game; you will see many were wrong with their initial assessment.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=426152
i think u were, i saw my comment & thus far he has been far from awesome

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
BobMarleyNYR

I was anxious myself, but no one expected this... he's got a few points but he's playing like Hossa in early '05-06; floating around and doing nothing when he gets the puck. At least Hossa seems to have focus.

I'm not ready to judge Jagr's motivation just yet. Maybe he's simply hit the wall.

Old
11-20-2007, 10:53 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
I was anxious myself, but no one expected this... he's got a few points but he's playing like Hossa in early '05-06; floating around and doing nothing when he gets the puck. At least Hossa seems to have focus.

I'm not ready to judge Jagr's motivation just yet. Maybe he's simply hit the wall.
I don't think its his motivation. I mean, he didn't show up to play AFTER we had won 9 out of 10. Why would he be pouting when this team is so hot? Just doesn't make sense to me. I think age is catching up to him, and his mobility is taking a hit. Either that or he has a pain somewhere that won't go away. That would explain why he hasn't been shooting for 3 games

I think he needs a little less ice time, and more importantly, Straka.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Sockosensei

I said it in another thread (can't remember which one) but I'll say it again here:
I think he's noticing a decline in his physical skills --- not that he's washed up, just in decline --- and I think it's eating him up inside.

Ask most retired great players and I think they'll tell you that it's hard for them to deal with because their expectations of themselves are even higher than the fans' expectations.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 07:47 AM
BobMarleyNYR

No,I can definitely appreciate that, and that's why I don't want to be too harsh... he's even made comments suggesting just what you have. It's tough. I feel for him and Shanny both.

Old
11-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Captain Monglobster

I dreamt that Jagr regrew his mullet last night. This can only mean one thing - nothing.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 02:33 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Right now I feel like Jim Mora at a press conference:

TRADE JAGR?!? TRADE JAGR?!?

You people must be crazy to think that moving Jagr will help this team. You don't trade your top scorer on a team that is having trouble scoring. Straka coming back soon will help Jags out a lot. Case in point: Jagr had 8 points in the first 7 games of the season before Straka went down with the injury. In the following 7 games, Jagr had only 3 pts. Here's your first line:

Straka - Drury - Jagr

I think the Dubi on the first line experiment has run it's course. He was good, but still too young. Drury and Jagr looked pretty good last night in Tampa. If you can get them to develop some chemistry, you have a great first line that will put up points every game.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMessier11 View Post

TRADE JAGR?!? TRADE JAGR?!?

You people must be crazy to think that moving Jagr will help this team. You don't trade your top scorer on a team that is having trouble scoring. Straka coming back soon will help Jags out a lot. Case in point: Jagr had 8 points in the first 7 games of the season before Straka went down with the injury. In the following 7 games, Jagr had only 3 pts. Here's your first line:

Straka - Drury - Jagr

I think the Dubi on the first line experiment has run it's course. He was good, but still too young. Drury and Jagr looked pretty good last night in Tampa. If you can get them to develop some chemistry, you have a great first line that will put up points every game.

Completely agree. I saw some nice chemistry between Jagr and Drury last night. I also saw it early in the season when they were together....

Straka-Drury-Jagr
Shanny-Gomez-Avery
Prucha-Dubinsky-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 02:43 PM
funky

Quote:

Straka - Drury - Jagr

totally disagree

Jagr looked like a pile of crap. He got in the way, coughed up the puck and slowed down the top line all night. I am not sure his facination with the half boards as he keeps slowing down the line causing the opposition to get into position or loosing the puck. Dubinsky was skating hard, shooting at the net and playing a strong North/South game. Drury was getting off shots and will soon start potting a few. Jagr was the problem, don't blame Dubinsky.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 03:02 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
totally disagree

Jagr looked like a pile of crap. He got in the way, coughed up the puck and slowed down the top line all night. I am not sure his facination with the half boards as he keeps slowing down the line causing the opposition to get into position or loosing the puck. Dubinsky was skating hard, shooting at the net and playing a strong North/South game. Drury was getting off shots and will soon start potting a few. Jagr was the problem, don't blame Dubinsky.

I'm not blaming Dubinsky. It's just that for the amount of time Dubinsky has had Jagr on his line this season, he still only has 4 points. Drury has 13 points and hasn't played with Jagr much at all. Let them try and develop some chemistry.

Dubinsky is a rookie. In Hartford last year he wasn't even a primary goal scorer. He's a hard worker with decent hands who probably belongs on the third line at this point of his career. You can't expect him to put up points like Peter Forsberg just because he's with Jagr.

The problem with this team right now is scoring goals. Usually when you have trouble scoring goals you put your top scorers all on one line (like every other team in the NHL). I can guarantee you that over time a Drury-Jagr combo will score more points than a Dubinsky-Jagr combo.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
totally disagree

agreed, jagr was slowing his entire line down, and was turning over the puck left and right. i think they spent the least amount of offensive zone attack time of all the lines.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Chimp

I don't get the blame on Jagr for no goals scored yesterday. He fed Drury with several nice scoring chances and Drury was just unlucky he couldn't score, especially on that last PP in the game when Holmqvist just made a sick, sick save.

Give them more time, the goals will come.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 06:37 PM
ThisYearsModel

Jagr has been a steaming pile of dung so far this year. maybe he gets it turned around, maybe not. Maybe we trade him back to the Crapitals so he can be reunited with Nylander.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Clarence Beeks

Saw the team play last night in person for the first time this season. He's just not the same player. Not sure exactly what it is, but from my high perch last night it seemed that he's 1) lost a step, 2) isn't driving to the net, and 3) isn't making clean passes. All three things that made Jagr, Jagr.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 09:39 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I'm not blaming Dubinsky. It's just that for the amount of time Dubinsky has had Jagr on his line this season, he still only has 4 points.
Part of the problem for both Dubinsky & Jagr is that (last night aside) Renney has forced them into trying to become a two-man show. Playing with Hossa has not helped either of them and I would argue hurt them since he is completely useless in the offensive zone. Successfull lines typically need all 3 forwards to contribute. Having such a non-factor, while not the sole reason, could not have helped any.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 01:35 AM
mucker*

Question About Jagr

It's well documented Jagr has been struggling this year.
Most have pointed to his lack of chemistry with Gomez and Drury relative to Nylander as the cause.

However, I was watching NHL Network the other day.
They showed the best players or scorers of the 90s.
On there Jagr was one of them, and I got to say he looked A WHOLE LOT different then than now.

This wasn't in the early 90s, this was late 90s trap and he was tearing up defenses 1-1 without any teamates.

All of this has me wondering, is it really just chemistry, or could it be that Jagr this year is really showing the effects of being an aging player who has lost a step?

We all know perhaps Gomez and Drury aren't the top fits, but when Jagr was in his prime, he didn't another player to make him dominant, he was so good, he could make anybody better, it was the other way around.

I'm not saying Drury and Gomez, the chemistry is not legitimate, just maybe that exabberates the real problem, or combines with the fact that Jagr isn't the force he used to be or a top tier player.

Again in his prime, he didn't need a front line player, he had Kip Miller on his line.
He made others better he didn't need others to make him the best.

I'd like to further ask, I just don't understand, why didn't Jagr click with Gomez or Drury?
I could see Drury possibly being a problem since he is more of a defensive player, but Gomez is a top playmaking center who is a very good skater and passer.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote