HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to get Lindros that big winger with scoring touch...

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2004, 08:28 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Time to get Lindros that big winger with scoring touch...

once again I'm looking to add that big winger with scoring touch to ride shotgun w/Lindros to get the most out of #88.

Before I get into my latest proposal I just wanted to ask where all the people are that kept constantly kept telling me that we don't need one of these guys b/c Eric can't play that type of game anymore went???

With the way Eric is playing he has shown that he still can be a top player and if anybody who has followed his game like we have this year it is clear as day that this guy is still very, very good at setting up plays down low and in tight with the many glorious pointblank scoring chances he has set up in buschels when working the end boards off the cycle and getting to the front of the net.With his hands returning to form and him effectively using his size he has clearly shown that if given big bodied wingers to play he and his line can be highly effective and while Matty and Simon have played well one needs to be replaced with a guy that can net 30 goals with the way Eric is drawing attention and setting up plays.

IMO the guy who currently best fits that bill would be Jeff O'neill who is struggling mightily and may very well be on the block as he is rumoured to be by various sources.This is exactly the type of player that would thrive with Lindros with his big body ,good skating, smooth sniper hands and crash the net style.

The guy is having a tough yr to say the least but their isn't much to work with down there and since Francis ran out of gas they have no centers for Jeff to work with.His salary is something like 3.5-3.6 a yr and he is only 27 yrs old so he has decent value despite the struggles this year.

My offer would be-

Carolina-Lundmark-Lampman-1st rounder

NYR-O'Neill-2nd rounder

Carolina is in rebuild mode and a young cheap player with upside like Lundy may be of interest b/c he is ready to step in now and contribute as oppossed to taking a 18-19 yr old kid who will take a few more yrs before he is ready to step in and Lampman is a decent prospect for their blueline with the flip of draft picks capping it off.I stil doubt it would be enough but the bottom line is I'd look heavily into what it would take to get O'neill here as I think he'd return to the sniper he has been the last 4-5 yrs prior to this and I can really see him and Eric taking off as linemates.

Simon-Lindros-O'Neill
Rucinsky-Holik-Kovalev
Barnaby-Nedved-Carter
Rheaume-Mess-Ortmeyer

Last edited by JR#9*: 01-16-2004 at 08:34 AM.
Old
01-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Davisian

1. I don't think Carolina does it.. It they trade O'neill, suitors would be lining up all over the league that could blow that package away..

2. Lindros may not return, I don't think the focus should be on getting him a linemate, especially when guys like Kovalev, Ruchinsky, Simon and Barnaby are around.. He has been and can play well with them. And with his unknown future with the organization leads me to..

3. think it doesn't make sense to give up multiple young assets for another "missing piece.." Just like my responses in the Boyton thread on the TR board, O'neill is good, very good, but enough is enough with these deals.. Sure the picks are somewhat of a wash, but a core HAS to be built and kept, which means the Rangers should be GETTING three for one's or two's, not sending them away..

I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I think it's too late for that now..

Old
01-16-2004, 08:50 AM
tony

i think o'neill would be a great fit on lindros' wing and it would totally be worth the price if...we were a top 4 team poised to make some playoff noise. considering that we haven't separated ourselves from the bottom feeding pack o'neill's price is too steep. i think if sather makes a move for a winger it should be of the salary dump variety otherwise i'd put rucinsky back on his wing.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:04 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
1. I don't think Carolina does it.. It they trade O'neill, suitors would be lining up all over the league that could blow that package away..

2. Lindros may not return, I don't think the focus should be on getting him a linemate, especially when guys like Kovalev, Ruchinsky, Simon and Barnaby are around.. He has been and can play well with them. And with his unknown future with the organization leads me to..

3. think it doesn't make sense to give up multiple young assets for another "missing piece.." Just like my responses in the Boyton thread on the TR board, O'neill is good, very good, but enough is enough with these deals.. Sure the picks are somewhat of a wash, but a core HAS to be built and kept, which means the Rangers should be GETTING three for one's or two's, not sending them away..

I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I think it's too late for that now..
I fully understand Lindros will probrably walk but a 27 yr old guy like O'Neill is a true eastern Conference power winger and would be a guy that would provide scoring from the wing, something we need drasticaly especially with Kovalev a UFA, Carter a major underachiever being a RFA that may be tough to resign, Simon-Rosie-Hlavac-Barnaby(???) being UFA's on the wing this guy goes beyond helping us just this year.This deal isn't Pavel Bure part 2.

And while we maybe should be the one's looking to get 2-3 players for one the fact of the matter is that just isn't going to happen and while I don't want to surrender 3 for 1 deals one such as this isn't out of line as O'neill is still young and healthy and brings the type of game we need from at least one of our top line wingers.

This deal wouldn't even be enough to get it done and while I wouldn't want to go much higher than that I also think it shows that despite his troubles this year Jeff O'Neill is a damn fine player and one of the best power wingers in the game and Rutherford will have plenty of bidders if this guy indeed is available.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Larry Melnyk

Jr#9....

I agree on many fronts....First off, though I'm not sure how long it will last, Lindros has indeed been playing good hockey and we need to bring in a decent-sized winger with skill to make the optimum use of Lindros...And even if Lindros falters, we still desperately need a LW on a second line, especially given the pathetic play of Hlavac, Rheaume, Carter and even Nedved....

I also agree that Jeff O'Neil would be a great choice and I would pay a little bit to get him, but not too much because his contract runs out this year (RFA) and who knows what will hapopen to his status.....ANd I think it's possible that the Rangers make a move for him...

Just don't think it's probable..I honestly think Sather will be VERY ACTIVE around the deadline and that he will be aquiring 1 or possibly two veteran wingers for younger assets..But I don't think the price will be that high because other then about 10 teams, the rest of the league will be trying to get rid of almost every and all veterans (I.e., Columbus with the likes of Sanderson, Cassels, etc..)

Old
01-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=44790
Here is a good trade idea by a very smart poster!

Old
01-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Rangers need to stop mortgaging the future. Lundmark and Lampman for O'Neill would be a horrible trade for New York.

Slats should pony up Petr Nedved. It's obvious the Rangers would rather re-sign Lindros, and the trade would allow Rutherford some payroll flexibility and also give the Canes a finisher--something they don't really have right now.

Old
01-18-2004, 03:56 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
That is a major pipe dream offer.

O'niell is a cheap young powerforward that can flat out score. He's worth those three alone, Brindy's value is likely more then Nedved's right now and Vrbata is just too much.

Old
01-18-2004, 08:32 PM
stungun

glenn murray and a futures for tom poti..........

Old
01-18-2004, 10:30 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by stungun
glenn murray and a futures for tom poti..........
I don't think you would want to do that. Tom Poti is possibly the worst defenseman in the defensive zone, in the game right now.

Closed Thread