HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getzlaf re-signed. 5 years, ~5.3 million? (estimate)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
  #1
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,316
vCash: 500
Getzlaf re-signed. 5 years, ~5.3 million? (estimate)

Per TSN: http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story/?...name=nhl-ducks

Yay long term! I was wondering what Burke would do, I somehow get the impression he's pretty much against long term contracts. But if there's a player to lock up for long term, it's Getzlaf. Although I do have to wonder what his contract number would have been if the Penner sheet never happened. Because you know negotiations started with Penner's 4.25 million. If Penner had re-signed for 2 years ~2.5 million like he should have I wonder if Getzlaf would have re-signed for say 4.75 or so.

Now on to Perry.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 09:24 AM
  #2
Ducksforcup
Registered User
 
Ducksforcup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Anaheim, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,565
vCash: 50
NOT WORTHY!

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 09:31 AM
  #3
arinkrat*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Yes! Good job Burkie!

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 09:34 AM
  #4
Joe Canada
Registered User
 
Joe Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
If Penner had re-signed for 2 years ~2.5 million like he should have I wonder if Getzlaf would have re-signed for say 4.75 or so.
On the other hand, if Burke matched the offer sheet, it might have come down to either Penner at 4.whatever million he makes or Getzlaf for $5.3 million- so it's well worth it.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 09:38 AM
  #5
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canada View Post
On the other hand, if Burke matched the offer sheet, it might have come down to either Penner at 4.whatever million he makes or Getzlaf for $5.3 million- so it's well worth it.
I'm pretty sure if Burke matches the offer sheet Getzlaf costs us even more. Because then Penner would be a direct comparable to base a salary off of, versus Burke being able to say "Penner wasn't worth 4.3 million... we'll negotiate as if he got 4 million."

Now that the happy stuff is out of the way, time for some doom and gloom. This is our salary for next season:
pronger 6.25
schnieder 5.625
beauchemin 1.65
OD 1.25
hnidy 0.758
huskins 0.625
giguere 6
getzlaf 5.3
bertuzzi 4
kunitz 3.725
mcdonald 3.333
marchant 2.518
nieds 2
pahlsson 1.4
moen 0.9125
may 0.6
parros 0.55
ryan 1.922
total 48.4185

That's 6 D, 1 G, and 11 F. Perry re-signs for say 4.75 million? I'm guessing the cap goes up to 53 or so, so that takes us to cap. And we'd still need to sign 1 D, 1 F(Sutherby?), and 1 G (Hiller?).

Salary will have to be moved. Although Ryan could end up in the AHL and then we might be OK.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:18 AM
  #6
Pucking Dutchman
Registered User
 
Pucking Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange County
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Great news to start off the morning, especially after these rumors about him about to be traded... I'm saying Thanks a few days early! Now let's get Perry a similar long-term deal Burkie!

Pucking Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
  #7
ktulu98
Registered User
 
ktulu98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,762
vCash: 500
getzlaf is our future #1 center, captain

so good new this extension, but if there wouldn't be penner contract he would be cheaper but anyway great job

I thin perry can ask in range 3.5-4.3

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
  #8
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
pronger 6.25
schnieder 5.625
beauchemin 1.65
OD 1.25
hnidy 0.758
huskins 0.625
giguere 6
getzlaf 5.3
bertuzzi 4
kunitz 3.725
mcdonald 3.333
marchant 2.518
nieds 2
pahlsson 1.4
moen 0.9125
may 0.6
parros 0.55
ryan 1.922
total 48.4185
Um ..... Scott Niedermayer? Did he suddenly announce his retirement - because if he didn't, his $6.75 million still counts in there.

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:51 AM
  #9
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Um ..... Scott Niedermayer? Did he suddenly announce his retirement - because if he didn't, his $6.75 million still counts in there.
You're right. I'm operating under the assumption Niedermayer is retiring. But I should have noted it in my post.

When I made that chart (~ a month ago) I was of the opinion he wasn't even returning this year. I only added Getzlaf to the chart, I didn't make any other changes. But even if he returns I'm thinking he'll retire after this season.

While you're here, is Getzlaf giving up 1 year of UFA in this contract? And how many did Penner give up in his contract, 2?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
  #10
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,649
vCash: 500
It is possible Burke backloaded the contract so that his cap hit next season is less than 5.3m...just sayin.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 11:03 AM
  #11
BenIgnorant
 
BenIgnorant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
It is possible Burke backloaded the contract so that his cap hit next season is less than 5.3m...just sayin.
If it's backloaded, the cap hit remains the same. The cap hit is the average salary over the contract.

BenIgnorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 11:10 AM
  #12
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
getzlaf is our future #1 center, captain

so good new this extension, but if there wouldn't be penner contract he would be cheaper but anyway great job

I thin perry can ask in range 3.5-4.3
No way Penner inflates the Getzlaf contract. All his agent has to do is point to Rick Nash and his 5 yr/27 million contract signed before the crazy Oiler offer sheets. Lets compare Getlzaf to some other corner stone type player after all.

If anything Getzlaf should be making more than Nash since salaries have inflated since 2005.

I agree with Perry in the 3.1 - 3.5 range, a deal like Dustin Brown signed. Both are top end guys but not corner stone players.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 11:26 AM
  #13
High Glove
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
I'm pretty sure if Burke matches the offer sheet Getzlaf costs us even more. Because then Penner would be a direct comparable to base a salary off of, versus Burke being able to say "Penner wasn't worth 4.3 million... we'll negotiate as if he got 4 million."

Now that the happy stuff is out of the way, time for some doom and gloom. This is our salary for next season:
pronger 6.25
schnieder 5.625
beauchemin 1.65
OD 1.25
hnidy 0.758
huskins 0.625
giguere 6
getzlaf 5.3
bertuzzi 4
kunitz 3.725
mcdonald 3.333
marchant 2.518
nieds 2
pahlsson 1.4
moen 0.9125
may 0.6
parros 0.55
ryan 1.922
total 48.4185

That's 6 D, 1 G, and 11 F. Perry re-signs for say 4.75 million? I'm guessing the cap goes up to 53 or so, so that takes us to cap. And we'd still need to sign 1 D, 1 F(Sutherby?), and 1 G (Hiller?).

Salary will have to be moved. Although Ryan could end up in the AHL and then we might be OK.
This makes the Bertuzzi contract even more puzzling. I'd much rather throw that $4 million at Perry than at Mr. Glass.

I suppose it also supports the contention that Marchant and/or Andy Mac aren't likely to be around Anaheim much longer.

High Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 11:35 AM
  #14
Diggy
Registered User
 
Diggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
I am really glad Getzlaf is locked up for 5 years.

If S.Nieds comes back for more then just this season we will be in a world of hurt salary cap wise. And even in a worse situation if the owners ask Burke to be lower then the salary cap like they did this year.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
  #15
Diggy
Registered User
 
Diggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
TSN ranks Getzlaf as the 8th best center in the league.

Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
  #16
Cone
Registered User
 
Cone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cone
HAPPINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When do we sign Perry? Gotta trade Marchant now fer shizzlez, at least before next season.


Last edited by Cone: 11-20-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
  #17
Tfighter
 
Tfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alhambra, CA
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Getzlaf is the face of the franchise in a few years, if not already. Glad he's extended.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
  #18
jiggsawpuzzle35
Registered User
 
jiggsawpuzzle35's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The 949
Posts: 1,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
HAPPINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When do we sign Perry? Gotta trade Marchant now fer shizzlez, at least before next season.
but who will make our inspirational t shirts?

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:05 PM
  #19
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
No way Penner inflates the Getzlaf contract. All his agent has to do is point to Rick Nash and his 5 yr/27 million contract signed before the crazy Oiler offer sheets. Lets compare Getlzaf to some other corner stone type player after all.

If anything Getzlaf should be making more than Nash since salaries have inflated since 2005.

I agree with Perry in the 3.1 - 3.5 range, a deal like Dustin Brown signed. Both are top end guys but not corner stone players.
Just because I like to argue, I'd say yes and no to Nash's contract setting Getzlaf's more than Penner's.

Nash was re-signed as an RFA by his own team. It was also crazy time, after the lockout. There wasn't any market pressure because it was just after the lockout and other teams were more worried about UFAs (Niedermayer signed 2 days earlier) and their own RFA players. In essence it was just one crazy GM signing his player to a huge contract in the absence of other market factors (and the contract was widely panned at the time as crazy and thus might not be viewed as trendsetting).

Now you have Penner and Vanek, and suddenly it's apparent that at least 1 GM will sign an RFA offer sheet. Whereas before GMs might have assumed that no one would, and be able to use that to their advantage. So in order to avoid RFA, something emphasized because of Penner, Burke now has to pay a premium.

On the other hand, you are right that the cap has gone up a lot since 05, creating natural salary inflation. The other thing to consider is Nash didn't give up ANY UFA years, Getzlaf gives up 1. So Getzlaf should be paid more because of that. Also, Bergeron signed a 4.75 million deal last summer, also for 5 years and (I think) also giving up 1 year of UFA. Actually Bergeron is probably a really good comparable, he's also a 2003 draftee, he's also a great 2 way player. And he was signed after 2 years in the NHL and 1 in the AHL (like Getzlaf's 2.25 years in the NHL). Same totals of 39 points in their rookie years too. But Bergeron scored more in his 2nd year though. But there was other precedent pre-Penner.

In the end I'd say salaries were trending up higher pre-Penner. Because of Nash/Bergeron/etc. But I feel that they were going up too high and too fast, simply because there's too much risk associated with signing young players long term. I thought a young player would bomb and that there would be a correctional period shortly. The correction would need a holdout RFA though. But Penner's signing signifies that that RFA holdout won't happen for awhile yet. Although if Penner bombs he may finally alert the GMs to the risks, and may lead to the holdout and subsequent correction.


Last edited by snarktacular: 11-20-2007 at 12:13 PM.
snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:06 PM
  #20
Cone
Registered User
 
Cone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
but who will make our inspirational t shirts?
Bryz?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
  #21
Twindad*
Father of Twins
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cali-for-ni-a
Country: United States
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 500
How long is Pahlsson locked up for at that price? Moen is a good deal.

Schnieder and Bertuzzi----I didn't like it from the beginning, now I'm really not liking it if we cannot sign Perry.

And what is Ryan earning almost 2 million for? To keep him happy?

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
  #22
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
How long is Pahlsson locked up for at that price? Moen is a good deal.

Schnieder and Bertuzzi----I didn't like it from the beginning, now I'm really not liking it if we cannot sign Perry.

And what is Ryan earning almost 2 million for? To keep him happy?
That's Pahlsson's last year at that price. Moen too. In fact that entire line is UFA after next season. Expect one to be replaced by Miller, perhaps another with Wirtanen. Expect a big raise for Pahlsson as well.

Ryan is the same as Hiller, he makes 850k + 1.1 million in potential bonuses. Only thing is if he's playing with Getzlaf and Perry he might have a good chance to make the bonuses.

Contract questions can often be solved by going here http://www.nhlscap.com/capnumbers/anaheim.htm

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 12:49 PM
  #23
Gyroduck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Aliso Viejo
Country: United States
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindad View Post
How long is Pahlsson locked up for at that price? Moen is a good deal.

Schnieder and Bertuzzi----I didn't like it from the beginning, now I'm really not liking it if we cannot sign Perry.

And what is Ryan earning almost 2 million for? To keep him happy?

You can thank Neidermayer for Schnieder.

Gyroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 01:10 PM
  #24
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
On the other hand, you are right that the cap has gone up a lot since 05, creating natural salary inflation. The other thing to consider is Nash didn't give up ANY UFA years, Getzlaf gives up 1. So Getzlaf should be paid more because of that. Also, Bergeron signed a 4.75 million deal last summer, also for 5 years and (I think) also giving up 1 year of UFA. Actually Bergeron is probably a really good comparable, he's also a 2003 draftee, he's also a great 2 way player. And he was signed after 2 years in the NHL and 1 in the AHL (like Getzlaf's 2.25 years in the NHL). Same totals of 39 points in their rookie years too. But Bergeron scored more in his 2nd year though. But there was other precedent pre-Penner.
Are you arguing with me or providing further proof of what I said? Sure sounds like the latter.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 01:39 PM
  #25
iLau
Always Mighty
 
iLau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Sweet deal, 5.3 mil for a player like Gezlaf is a bargain.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.