HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getzlaf re-signed. 5 years, ~5.3 million? (estimate)

Old
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Great deal for you guys, on a great player. I've always been a big fan of Getzlaf, going back to his Hitmen days. This is a guy I can see wearing the C in the future for the Ducks.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
OT:

Nice Ranking. No Zetterberg there. He has played center the whole year and Datsyuk has been the left winger.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Lyons71

That's just statistically... he's even better than his stats would show! I'm very glad to see he got locked down. We now know who the captain will be after Pronger.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 03:50 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Are you arguing with me or providing further proof of what I said? Sure sounds like the latter.
Like my last paragraph said, a little more proof for what you said, coupled with my theory that Penner prevented a correction. So both really. Although I guess a correction probably wouldn't have happened this summer anyways, a young kid is going to have to flop first.

The media transcript that cmcd mentioned can be found here:http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=343911

A relevent part is this:
Quote:
This is an organization that’s been first-class ever since I got here, as well as the city. I’ve had a great time here and look forward to many years playing here. It’s great to be able to still be part of this core group.
Bryzgalov, Jiggy's baby, Fedoruk, even giving replica Cup rings to employees not directly affiliated with the Ducks (Pond employees). All examples of how the team and ownership treats its employees right. Leads to good will when it comes to FAs. No matter what anyone says about Burke, he's extremely classy when it comes to his guys. Maybe not the rest of the league, but he'll treat his guys right.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
No way Penner inflates the Getzlaf contract. All his agent has to do is point to Rick Nash and his 5 yr/27 million contract signed before the crazy Oiler offer sheets. Lets compare Getlzaf to some other corner stone type player after all.

If anything Getzlaf should be making more than Nash since salaries have inflated since 2005.

I agree with Perry in the 3.1 - 3.5 range, a deal like Dustin Brown signed. Both are top end guys but not corner stone players.
There is no way that Perry signs for less then 4 million. He will at least get what Penner got. I personally think he deserves what Brown makes as well, but he'll get more because he can use Penner's contract as a base. My guess.. around 4.8 million a year.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Bryzgalov, Jiggy's baby, Fedoruk, even giving replica Cup rings to employees not directly affiliated with the Ducks (Pond employees). All examples of how the team and ownership treats its employees right. Leads to good will when it comes to FAs. No matter what anyone says about Burke, he's extremely classy when it comes to his guys. Maybe not the rest of the league, but he'll treat his guys right.
The Samuelis have a part to play in some of those moves too. Without them I don't think much of the classy moves by Burke would happen.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:47 PM
HerrAlex

now that is some great news. I was hoping he'd become our sakic. and just be on the team till he retires.

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Bob McKenzie discusses the issues the Ducks have to deal with in retaining Corey Perry:
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/mckenzie/?id=223312#yc_list
Quote:
There are a myriad of reasons why the Anaheim Ducks are eager to find out whether Scott Niedermayer is coming back to play and now that Ryan Getzlaf has been signed to a five-year contract extension, there's one more:

Corey Perry's long-term future in Anaheim.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:33 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Call me crazy (and I'm sure some will), but if it came down to it, I'd trade Niedermayer to keep Perry. Of course there's other guys I'd trade before Niedermayer, but between the two it's an easy call in my mind.

He's got the skill, he's got the swagger, and he makes Getzlaf that much better.

Old
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Tfighter

Quote:
Call me crazy (and I'm sure some will), but if it came down to it, I'd trade Niedermayer to keep Perry. Of course there's other guys I'd trade before Niedermayer, but between the two it's an easy call in my mind.

He's got the skill, he's got the swagger, and he makes Getzlaf that much better.
Which Neidermayer? Scott or Rob?

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:48 PM
DuklaNation

I guess Burke has learned his lesson.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Getzlaf's contract is probably back-loaded, I don't know why everybody is assuming he is going to 5.3 million for sure next season. He might be getting 4. Anyways, all we would have to do is buy out or trade Marchant. Perry and Getlzaf are hear to stay.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusRobo View Post
Which Neidermayer? Scott or Rob?
Either. I was referring to Scott though, from that Bob McKenzie article.

Old
11-20-2007, 07:30 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Good job Burke.

Now Perry's turn. Anything under 5 per year I'd be happy with.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
Getzlaf's contract is probably back-loaded, I don't know why everybody is assuming he is going to 5.3 million for sure next season. He might be getting 4.
He's actually getting $4.5 million for '08-09, but that's beside the point - the number that is important is $5,325,000 ... what Getzlaf will actually count against the cap starting next season.

11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
He's actually getting $4.5 million for '08-09, but that's beside the point - the number that is important is $5,325,000 ... what Getzlaf will actually count against the cap starting next season.
Just to be argumentative, I suspect that backloading would actually be quite important for the Ducks. Just because we're supposedly a team that has an internal budget less than the cap max. And that I believe the business plan is to grow the fanbase. But that's all just speculation. You're right that that means nothing WRT the cap.

So your sources say the contract is slowly increasing?

Old
11-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Just to be argumentative, I suspect that backloading would actually be quite important for the Ducks. Just because we're supposedly a team that has an internal budget less than the cap max. And that I believe the business plan is to grow the fanbase.

So your sources say the contract is slowly increasing?
2008/09 - $2 million signing bonus plus $2.5 million in salary ($4.5 million total)
2009/10 - $5.125 million
2010/11 - $5.125 million
2011/12 - $5.750 million
2012/13 - $6.125 million

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Good job Burke.

Now Perry's turn. Anything under 5 per year I'd be happy with.
The Ducks will probably need to trade/waive Bertuzzi and move Marchant to sign Perry to a long term contract.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

This, combined with the Sutherby trade, is a sure sign Marchant is gone. Whether he's dealt, waived, or whatever, I doubt he'll be a Duck next season. So there's $2.5 million gone from the pie. Then, it again depends on Niedermayer. If he decides one more year just isn't enough, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Mathieu Schneider is gone. Schneider is expensive, but his deal is expiring and he's worth every penny. We can probably get a good asset back for him, too. So, there's another $5.6 million gone at least. Then, there's the question of what the cap will be at, and given that not only has the cap gone up by $5 million each year, but that there also should be a huge increase in revenue given that the new Rbk jerseys and some new color schemes/logos throughout the league. If merch sales are a part of that revenue pie, which I would believe to be true, then the cap is surely to go up for next season.

So, let's make some assumptions. Let's say Marchant is indeed not on our roster next year, and let's even say that Niedermayer decides to play out his deal. This is what we're looking at:

Ryan(1.92)-McDonald(3.33)-Bertuzzi(4)
Kunitz(3.75)-Getzlaf(5.25)-Perry(?)
Moen(0.92)-Pahlsson(1.4)-Niedermayer(2)
May(0.6)-Sutherby(0.8*)-Parros(0.55)
Miller(0.75*), Mowers(0.5*)

Niedermayer(6.75)-Beauchemin(1.65)
Pronger(6.25)-O'Donnell(1.25)
Hnidy(0.76)-Huskins(0.63)
DiPenta(0.6*)

Giguere(6)
Hiller(1*)

*Educated Guess

That right there brings us to $50.66 million. Now, if the cap does go up by a bit, Perry can be fit in. Also, he doesn't need to sign long term right away with all these deals coming off the books, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1 year, 2-3 million arbitration award. And, guys like Bertuzzi can likely be traded or whatever, and Ryan might not make the team and rather be replaced with someone else who's cheaper or whatever. And if Niedermayer retires and Schneider is kept, that's another mil off that right there. So, I wouldn't say we're in cap hell just yet. Especially if the cap goes up to something like $55 million, which wouldn't shock me. Give Burke some time, he's done wonders with this team so far, and he can probably get us out of this one.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 12:30 AM
lux_interior

This is nice. Good bit of news to rub in to the King's fan at work.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 01:00 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
I guess Burke has learned his lesson.
What's the lesson? If you are referring back to the Penner incident, I don't really see the connection.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:58 AM
renodave

Congrats to Getzlaf and the Ducks. Well deserved indeed - and a very very fair price for both sides. Getz will definitely be among the top 10 best forwards in the league (if he isn't already).

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Burke's quote in the newspaper reflects my thoughts on the amount perfectly. "It is astronomical but it’s also the market."

Abstractly, with a 50 million cap, I'd think Getzlaf should get like 4.5 million or so.

Actually, here's a fun exercise. What do you think an "average" distribution should be for a team? It's a lot harder than you would think. Based off the notion that an "average player" should cost about 2 million I came up with this:
6 4.5 3
2.5 2 2
1.5 1 1
0.9 0.8 0.5

6 4.5  
3 2  
1 0.8  

5 1  

So Getzlaf is our best forward, but he is young and there's still a (slim) chance he stalls out. To give him 5.3 means you're giving up on having a true #1 if he doesn't pan out.

I'm a little curious to know what other people would see as an ideal salary spread.

After reading the transcript of Burke's conference call, I finally understand now how Niedermayer is preventing a Perry midseason extension. At first I thought it was just because he needs to know if he has the money. But he's actually downright prevented from signing Perry yet because you still have to be under the future cap to sign an extension. And since Niedermayer's salary counts next year (it's still "tagged" just like how we can't use his salary now), we do not have enough "untagged" cap space to sign Perry.

Old
11-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
There is no way that Perry signs for less then 4 million. He will at least get what Penner got. I personally think he deserves what Brown makes as well, but he'll get more because he can use Penner's contract as a base. My guess.. around 4.8 million a year.
Yup...I totaly agree.

Perry is actualy outplaying Getz so far this season too.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote