HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Getzlaf re-signed. 5 years, ~5.3 million? (estimate)

Old
11-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Static

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Why did Melrose on ESPN say that Anaheim signed Perry to a long term deal as well? I swear that man is completely insane.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman33 View Post
Yup...I totaly agree.

Perry is actualy outplaying Getz so far this season too.
No, he hasn't. He may have more points(I'm not sure), but Getz is clearly our best forward and he's slowly establishing himself as one of the best in the league.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Randall Graves*

I think this team will look alot different next year. Burkes going to be making alot of moves between now and next October, let'sjust hope thatScott's comeback fuels a Teemu return and we get another cup run outta this..

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
No, he hasn't. He may have more points(I'm not sure), but Getz is clearly our best forward and he's slowly establishing himself as one of the best in the league.
Believe me I know that Getz is the better player.

But Perry is playing his ass off and scoring a lot of points...and points do matter.

Look what happed with Penner and his goal scoring numbers last season.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 11:22 AM
MOENing

I like it he is porducing more than penner is now we have to sign Perry.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Hank

The OC Register had an article about how the Ducks cap situation impacts signing Perry....

OC Reg

"Things, however, aren't always quite that simple in the new, salary cap-era NHL.

Given their financial commitments to other players for next season, the Ducks were unable to sign both Getzlaf and Perry at this point. Including Getzlaf's new deal, the Ducks are on the hook for nearly $53.3 million, spread between 18 players, next season.

That figure, well above this season's $50.3 million salary cap, includes $6.75 million allotted for defenseman Scott Niedermayer, who has yet to play this season and has not informed the team whether he intends to, let alone whether he will fulfill the final year on his contract in 2008-09. If Niedermayer does not play next season, the Ducks figure to have ample salary-cap room to accommodate Perry. Otherwise, signing Perry would almost certainly require clearing cap space via the trade market."

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 02:50 PM
theShiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Why did Melrose on ESPN say that Anaheim signed Perry to a long term deal as well? I swear that man is completely insane.
Maybe he heard it from Eklund?

theShiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 04:09 PM
MOENing

Why so much though? Burke couldn't use a chart telling what will happen if he leaves the mob. To talk him down.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Okay. What?

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 11:33 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOENing View Post
Why so much though? Burke couldn't use a chart telling what will happen if he leaves the mob. To talk him down.
Could you explain what you just said? That made no sense.

Last edited by iLau: 11-26-2007 at 03:30 AM.
iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Pepper

Are you sure you want to know?

Sometimes it's just better to nod, smile and slowly walk away.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 11:54 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Reviving an old thread, I know. But use Richards' contract as a foil for Getzlaf's. What do you think now?

First I'll say that I like Richards A LOT. If forced to choose between the 2, I'd pick Getzlaf, but not by much. I think it's almost even, Getzlaf offensively and Richards with leadership and all-around excellence.

I'm just completely against huge length contracts like that, especially on a player coming off his first contract. Getlaf's 5 years is almost as long as I'd like (although I'd wonder if it'd be better to have a 3 year deal taking him to 1 year pre UFA).

I don't care if it could become a deal in X years, the chance that it becomes an albatross if the player regresses for whatever reason are just too great. Just look at our own Rob Niedermayer. After a 3 year ELC, he'd be coming off a 26 goal, 61 point season. Then came the concussions and he's never been an offensive threat since. Could you imagine being locked into paying him say 3 million for 12 years (I think that'd be a pretty big salary for 96)? He would still be on that contract for this season (it would end after this year)!

I think I'd much prefer Getzlaf's contract, even if it'd cost like 8-9 million for his next contract.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 02:21 AM
renodave

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Reviving an old thread, I know. But use Richards' contract as a foil for Getzlaf's. What do you think now?

First I'll say that I like Richards A LOT. If forced to choose between the 2, I'd pick Getzlaf, but not by much. I think it's almost even, Getzlaf offensively and Richards with leadership and all-around excellence.

I'm just completely against huge length contracts like that, especially on a player coming off his first contract. Getlaf's 5 years is almost as long as I'd like (although I'd wonder if it'd be better to have a 3 year deal taking him to 1 year pre UFA).

I don't care if it could become a deal in X years, the chance that it becomes an albatross if the player regresses for whatever reason are just too great. Just look at our own Rob Niedermayer. After a 3 year ELC, he'd be coming off a 26 goal, 61 point season. Then came the concussions and he's never been an offensive threat since. Could you imagine being locked into paying him say 3 million for 12 years (I think that'd be a pretty big salary for 96)? He would still be on that contract for this season (it would end after this year)!

I think I'd much prefer Getzlaf's contract, even if it'd cost like 8-9 million for his next contract.
I completely agree with this analysis. It's the height of insanity in the new salary cap era to commit 10% to 15% of your cap dollars to a single player for such a long time, particularly to a player that while talented, is as unproven as Richards is. Okay, he's off to a good start this year, but he had two very mediocre seasons before this one. So is his performance now a new trend or just an abberation? I would quibble with you a bit on comparing Getz and Richards. I think Getzlaf is a much more dominant offensive player who can create plays and make his own shots. Richards is very good defensively but he's not anywhere close to Getzlaf offensively. He's more of an opportunistic sniper versus an imposing offensive power forward like Getzlaf.

renodave is offline   Reply With Quote