HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Neil Diamond/Sweet Caroline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2007, 04:56 PM
  #1
ftyutin51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Huntington Bay, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,733
vCash: 500
OT: Neil Diamond/Sweet Caroline

Found this on Yahoo:

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/32627863

Well, now we know who the inspiration for the song was. Go Rangers!!!

ftyutin51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:57 PM
  #2
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 78,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
I JUST heard this on the news as you posted it and I was about to post it myself.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 05:24 PM
  #3
Lundqvist102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
But at the same time we can't really claim that its OUR song because its actaully VERY widely used for sports teams all across the country.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:13 AM
  #4
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderHalak2nd View Post
sweet caroline was originally sang by elvis actually
Dude, your name rules

And, boo@Neil saying "the Red Sox have become his favorite team". Your from Brooklyn!

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:17 AM
  #5
RyderHalak2nd
 
RyderHalak2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
have to rewrite my post because it is actually a neil diamond song....i always thought it was written by elvis but elvis remade the song...


thanks for the props on my name...so what r u willing to give the habs for it...haha

RyderHalak2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:22 AM
  #6
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderHalak2nd View Post
have to rewrite my post because it is actually a neil diamond song....i always thought it was written by elvis but elvis remade the song...


thanks for the props on my name...so what r u willing to give the habs for it...haha
Pock and/or Malik

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:31 AM
  #7
RyderHalak2nd
 
RyderHalak2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
I'll have my people contact your people...

RyderHalak2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 05:59 PM
  #8
NYR75
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftyutin51 View Post
Found this on Yahoo:

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/32627863

Well, now we know who the inspiration for the song was. Go Rangers!!!
I hate this song

NYR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 06:24 PM
  #9
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I don't know where he came up with that story about Caroline Kennedy, but that's not what he said inspired the song when he was on VH1 Storytellers:

"I wrote that song after a big show at the Forum. Gary and I had been drinking pretty heavily and we were driving. Yeah, well, we were driving down this dark road and I hit a kid. So we got out and sure enough, he was dead. So we just took off. Pretty fast. And two hours later, I wrote Sweet Caroline."

PROOF

NYR94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 06:48 PM
  #10
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I don't know where he came up with that story about Caroline Kennedy, but that's not what he said inspired the song when he was on VH1 Storytellers:

"I wrote that song after a big show at the Forum. Gary and I had been drinking pretty heavily and we were driving. Yeah, well, we were driving down this dark road and I hit a kid. So we got out and sure enough, he was dead. So we just took off. Pretty fast. And two hours later, I wrote Sweet Caroline."

PROOF
I remember that

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 08:23 PM
  #11
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
A Cucumber Sandwhich!? Tiiiiiiiiiaght!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:51 PM
  #12
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Cupcake schedule.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 11,960
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102 View Post
But at the same time we can't really claim that its OUR song because its actaully VERY widely used for sports teams all across the country.
How many other teams in the NHL use it? None that I know of.

Same way with the post game salute. How many other teams saluted their fans after a win at home in the NHL? None, until the Isles say hey what a great idea and rip off their own version by standing on the line and saluting the fans.

As long as no other NHL teams are doing it, and we were the first, it is our song.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
  #13
Stoney La Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Ah, yes. Neil Diamond. I went to school with his daughters. Good people. But I have to say he lost me somewhere around that awful "Coming to America" debacle.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:57 PM
  #14
clmetsfan
Registered User
 
clmetsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,859
vCash: 500
This story refutes the one I heard: http://youtube.com/watch?v=O5tWwefmAfM

clmetsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:30 PM
  #15
cityhockeyfever
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York City area
Country: United States
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaya94 View Post
How many other teams in the NHL use it? None that I know of.

Same way with the post game salute. How many other teams saluted their fans after a win at home in the NHL? None, until the Isles say hey what a great idea and rip off their own version by standing on the line and saluting the fans.

As long as no other NHL teams are doing it, and we were the first, it is our song.
The Red Sox were using "Sweet Caroline" before the Rangers were, so we cannot claim the Blueshirts were the first to start playing at MSG regularly. Maybe in hockey, yes. But not in professional sports.

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed the Islanders are ripping off the Rangers' postgame salute to the fans. Knowing they would be that team who would pull something like that, it comes as ZERO surprise to me. What would also be no shock is Islanders fans' reaction and attitude being, "Does your team have a stinkin' patent on it? The Islanders can do whatever the hell they want." My response is to do something original so there's no reason for anyone else to raise a stink.

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
  #16
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
That song makes me want to sleep on a bed of nails.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
  #17
jc25
Registered User
 
jc25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
That song makes me want to sleep on a bed of nails.
agreed.

jc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.