HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Blue Jackets to make the playoffs this season or not

View Poll Results: Do you think Blue Jackets will make the playoffs this season
yes they finally make it 57 52.78%
no, not quite yet 51 47.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-02-2008, 12:19 AM
orthosrgn2

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=ShelleyFan45;11848972]I'm optimistic the Jackets can nab the 7th or 8th seed. Of course, this is assuming we continue to get great goaltending, the defense continues to stay healthy, and we don't lose Nash or Zherdev to injury.

But hey, the way they've played thus far I have no reason to think they can't make the playoffs. Only 1 point out of the playoffs in January is a nice change!

Your assessment of the team is spot on Shelley, but I think we will fall short. This year will be a dogfight in the West with 12-13 teams in it til the end. My concern is IF the things you say happen we will be competitive, but I hope ownership doesn't sell the studs on the farm to get that added piece at the TDL. Other teams will also be hungry to get players and it might inflate the prices to obtain them to unacceptable levels. Competitive, but just short would be "ok" with me, looking toward next year when we can really make a push for more than just making the playoffs.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Palinka

Right now, the CBJ project to 88 points in the standings, which would be 10th in the conference at the end of the year.

Of course, this is based on nothing more than (standing points/games played * 82). Some teams will catch fire, some will slump, and all the usual stuff that happens every single season will occur.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Right now, the CBJ project to 88 points in the standings, which would be 10th in the conference at the end of the year.
Right now teams in positions 5-8 are Minnesota, Colorado, Calgary and Anaheim.

Minnesota is a stable team which won't have bigger slumps. Colorado right now is doing excellent, but is the most vulnerable team from these. Still I predict them to be 7-8 after the season. Keenan has got Calgary playing very well and I don't expect them to lose it. Anaheim got S. Niedermayer back and is only getting stronger.

Competition in Western Conference is just too tough for Columbus to make playoffs this year... Central division teams, except Detroit is fighting hard to make the final 8, but as for now St. Louis has the best opportunity to get the final spot if Colorado fails. So yeah, I agree 10th would be a realistic finish for Jackets until they play way over expectations.

Last edited by Handyy: 01-02-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Wease

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
How do we feel now as we near the halfway point?
I'm sticking with what I said. And so far, I seem to be spot on.

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
No way I'm getting my hopes up right now. Ask me again in two months

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:22 AM
CapnCornelius

Our chances are slipping away. The fact that 2/3 of our next 30 games are away, is not going to help. This team is going to have to string more than 3 wins in a row together at some point if it has any hope.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Our chances are slipping away. The fact that 2/3 of our next 30 games are away, is not going to help. This team is going to have to string more than 3 wins in a row together at some point if it has any hope.
I kind of find the phrasing of "slipping away", interesting when a team has won 3 of 4 and played their best hockey in 2 months. Perhaps "trying to get back into the mix" might be better? Not important, it's just a phrase you usually use when your in a slump. We seem to be threating to get out of one, one could argue we are out of it. I want to see what happens this week before I get too up or down.

That many road games are always going to hurt, as we all know. Our home record is very good and comparable to the western conference playoff teams, so were not let letting it slip away at home.

Looking at the schedule for January, if we can somehow squeak out 6 points with the "big 6 games (Anaheim, SJ, Dallasx2, and Colorado, Nashville), I think the rest of our schedule for the month will take care of itself. Assuming we continue on our current level of play.

We'll see, should be an interesting month.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Three games above .500 with 43 games to go.....I'd say it's 50/50 at this point... We must stop the w/l/w/l stuff and string 4 or 5 wins...

We must also reach at least .500 on the road before seriously considering making the playoffs.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
noodleboy*

I wouldn't cheer for a team if I didn't think they had a chance of making the playoffs.

Of course I think we can do it.

If we can stay healthy, of course.

noodleboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Things are extremely tight. We need to see a huge winning streak, otherwise, I think the seeds we're looking at are going to the more playoff experienced teams. I say next is year will most likely be our year.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

next year....I said it earlier, This team was a fringe playoff team in the East last year and a fringe team in the west this year.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
pipe dreams

nope!!

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
nationwiderules

I think the Blue jackets have what it takes to make the playoffs, its just they need to be better on the road as they have only won like 36 games on the road as a frachchise dating back to the 1st season 2000-2001, which is really bad right now, they also need more quality scorers they only really have Zherdev & Nash, and when he is healthy Peca, and they need better defence, there defence really revolves around adam foote right now, and the jackets also need to have a better quality back up goal tender cause it seems like if Leclaire is in net they have a chance to win that game, but when norrena is in the net its hard to tell cause they are like night and day no in between, well hopefully their up and comers like Jakob Voracek & steve mason will give them some hope for the future.

But you know there is still a whole half of the season left and the jackets are right there, i am a huge jackets fan and i have been waiting for them to make the playoffs and they seem to be getting better every year, and maybe this is the year they finally do it, lol

GO JACKETS!!!!!!!

nationwiderules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Hockey Granny

I think we have a "chance" to grab that last spot. Only time will tell. I try to believe but it's hard to feel very confident given our off-again, on-again play. BUT WE HOPE!!!!!!

Hockey Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
gocbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro View Post
I wouldn't cheer for a team if I didn't think they had a chance of making the playoffs.

Of course I think we can do it.

If we can stay healthy, of course.

"stay healthy"? We are not healthy now.

I like the fact that we are where we are and we are not healthy. The only player that is playing slightly beyond where he should be is LeClaire I believe. Nash and Z might be the only two players who could have a 2nd half that is worse than the first half, and probably Hainsey too. But we will likely get a boost from Modin, V, and Chimera. And who knows, maybe Nash and Z keep rolling. I bet we find a 10 out of 12 games winning streak, come in as a 6 seed and win a series before getting beat.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Skraut

I'd love for us to be just out of it enough that we're sellers at the trade deadline...

Then get a big influx of youth from the 'cuse, make a run, and grab the 8th spot

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'd love for us to be just out of it enough that we're sellers at the trade deadline...

Then get a big influx of youth from the 'cuse, make a run, and grab the 8th spot
I know what you mean. Some nights I think we would be better of with some of the youngsters. It's nice to see some of the kids come up and be productive.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
beba91

I really wish we could be the 2008 Cinderella team

beba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
KayZee13

Watching the Jackets/Sharks and was glad to hear the announcers for the Sharks say, "make no mistake about it, this Columbus team is a playoff team." Then showed highlights of Rick's recent goals.

GO JACKETS!!!

KayZee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
... the CBJ need to use the upcoming December home stand to their advantage. The CBJ have 13 out of their next 19 games at home. I think they need a minimum of 24 points in that stretch and ideally 26+.

Wed, Nov 21 Florida
Fri, Nov 23 @ Minnesota
Sat, Nov 24 Detroit
Mon, Nov 26 @ Edmonton
Thu, Nov 29 @ Vancouver
Sat, Dec 1 @ Calgary
Mon, Dec 3 Dallas
Wed, Dec 5 Colorado
Sat, Dec 8 Minnesota 7:00 PM
Mon, Dec 10 Anaheim 7:00 PM
Wed, Dec 12 Colorado 7:00 PM
Sat, Dec 15 @ Boston 7:00 PM
Tue, Dec 18 Calgary 7:00 PM
Fri, Dec 21 LA Kings 7:00 PM
Sun, Dec 23 Nashville 5:00 PM
Wed, Dec 26 Atlanta 7:00 PM
Thu, Dec 27 @ Nashville 8:00 PM
Sat, Dec 29 Carolina 7:00 PM
Mon, Dec 31 Edmonton 6:00 PM
We ended up with 20 points in that run. We're obviously behind the playoff pace with 23 of remaining 41 games on the road. We're kind of in a tough position for management right now. We're close enough to sniff the chase, so management will be hard pressed to trade the vets for prospects and piss of fans for punting the season away, but we aren't in a strong enough position for management to really try to shore up the team via a trade to make a playoff push. I don't think it's going to happen this year. They need about 52 points in last 41 games to get into the playoffs, but 23 of those games are on the road.

Bobcat110 is online now   Reply With Quote