HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Sather try and sign a defenseman?

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2004, 06:11 AM
drewcon40

vCash: 500
Will Sather try and sign a defenseman?

For the record, I am totally against this. I feel that this is one of a minor league system's purpose is (to fill a void left by a significant injury). With the lengthy injury to deVries and unavailability of Tytun, do you guys think that Sather will sign one of the defenseman that Brooks mentioned in a recent column (Oleg Tverdovsky, Dmitri Yushkevich or Richard Smehlik) or make a trade like he did with Gusarov back in 2000-2001. (Again, I can't stress how against this I am). I thought that Dale played pretty well for a "rusty" player.

Old
01-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
For the record, I am totally against this. I feel that this is one of a minor league system's purpose is (to fill a void left by a significant injury). With the lengthy injury to deVries and unavailability of Tytun, do you guys think that Sather will sign one of the defenseman that Brooks mentioned in a recent column (Oleg Tverdovsky, Dmitri Yushkevich or Richard Smehlik) or make a trade like he did with Gusarov back in 2000-2001. (Again, I can't stress how against this I am). I thought that Dale played pretty well for a "rusty" player.
I disagree. If we can sign Dmitri Yushkevich then we should right away. Dale stinks, we have no healthy young guys left that could come up and do a good job, and Yushkevich would be better than half the d-men who are regulars. I want to win and Dmitri Yushkevich is our best chance at that. Besides, signing any of these guys for the rest of the season does not hurt our franchise long term or short term so I see no reason why we shouldn't. Don't get caught being too leftist.

Old
01-12-2004, 07:01 AM
Potter

Quote:

Ohh and our minor league system is terrible.

Old
01-12-2004, 07:11 AM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
I disagree. If we can sign Dmitri Yushkevich then we should right away. Dale stinks, we have no healthy young guys left that could come up and do a good job, and Yushkevich would be better than half the d-men who are regulars. I want to win and Dmitri Yushkevich is our best chance at that. Besides, signing any of these guys for the rest of the season does not hurt our franchise long term or short term so I see no reason why we shouldn't. Don't get caught being too leftist.

I for one didn't think Dale played that bad the last two games!!!! To me he should be playing more!!!

Old
01-12-2004, 07:17 AM
drewcon40

Potter - When deVries comes back, who is the odd man out? I just don't think that parading another veteran in here is the answer. I think a hungry w-packer or Purinton or Bouchard (if healthy) would be the best option. I wonder why the Devils never have these problems : ).

Old
01-12-2004, 08:30 AM
drewcon40

Ages:

Oleg Tverdovsky turns 28 in May.

Dmitri Yushkevich turned 32 this past November.

and Richard Smehlik turns 34 on January 23.

(birthdates from hockeydb.com)

Old
01-12-2004, 11:42 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Ages:

Oleg Tverdovsky turns 28 in May.

Dmitri Yushkevich turned 32 this past November.

and Richard Smehlik turns 34 on January 23.

(birthdates from hockeydb.com)
Yushkevich is the short term answer, and this is why:

Leetch should be paired with him. End of story.

Leetch - Yushkevich
DeVries - Kasparitus
Poti - Mironov/Malakhov

Hell Tverdovsky I'd rather sign too, and then really actively look to dump Poti and Malakhov (for picks or prospects), at least Tverdovsky can play defense and score.

We could even look like this

1: Leetch - Yush
2: DeVries - Kaspar
3: Tverdovsky - Mironov
Dale/Bouchard

not too shabby... Poti, Malkhov, buh bye...

Pair 1: Leetch - Yush .... stay at home and a capable offensive dman
Pair 2: Most solid defensive pair imo
Pair 3: offensive dman who is an upgrade on Poti, and stay at home d

Better than our current pairings if you ask me, but Im sure some will disagree.

Old
01-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

One reason to be leery of Tverdovsky is the fact that he suffered for most of the last season from post-concussion symptoms. Does anyone know how he's playing in Russia?

And while I have no problem signing a free agent to play with Leetch--I would do almost anything to get him away from Poti--I question how long it would take for a player who hasn't played in any games to get up to speed--we need someone who is ready to play now, not in 2-3 weeks.

Sather brought this on himself. He refused to hold his "everyday" defensemen accountable for their continued lousy play and let both Bouchard and Purinton rot in the stands instead of rotating defensemen. Now that we need to find a substitute, no one is ready to step in. And of course, there is no one in Hartford that Sather is willing to try for fear that they will make mistakes that cost the Rangers a chance of making the playoffs.

Old
01-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Larry Melnyk

No way in hell do you sign one of these scrap-heap UFA d-men..SIgn Yushkevich to play with Leetch? the same Yushkevich that blew chunks last year? The same Yushkevich that was a -9 and scored 3 goals last year while Dale Purinton was a -2 and scored the same # 0f goals in 30 less games?

Instead of bringing in another decomposing mercenary who is only coming back for money (Hey, that works for the Rangers!) why not just stick with the blue-bleeding Purinton and bouchard (when healthy) and try to weather the storm as a team with TEAM defense..If they do, they will be much stronger for it when Devries gets back and Purinton and Bouchard will be ready to contribute from here on in..

Of course BROOKLYN is 100% correct that these guys should have been playing all and along and there would be no question right now, but this is Sather...Still, better late then never...

Now, if you talk about aquiring a solid in-the-NHL D-man for some of the worthless junk we have in Carter, Nedved, Hlavac, and Poti, that's another story....

Old
01-12-2004, 12:38 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
One reason to be leery of Tverdovsky is the fact that he suffered for most of the last season from post-concussion symptoms. Does anyone know how he's playing in Russia?
I didn't know of his concussion issues...

Carter, Nedved, Hlavac, Poti is going to get us a top 4 defenseman? Yeah ok.

Old
01-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
I didn't know of his concussion issues...

Carter, Nedved, Hlavac, Poti is going to get us a top 4 defenseman? Yeah ok.
Who siad anything about Top-4? ANd Yushkevich is a Top-4 D-man now? Yeah ok.

Old
01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Potter

Quote:
Potter - When deVries comes back, who is the odd man out? I just don't think that parading another veteran in here is the answer. I think a hungry w-packer or Purinton or Bouchard (if healthy) would be the best option. I wonder why the Devils never have these problems : ).

Worst case scenario, Yuskevich rots in the stands. Best case scenario we trade one of our terrible defensemen for anything. Its worth a shot. Larry did you see him play alot last year? Keep in mind he was all over the place and might have just had one bad year. He has the potential to be better than any of the garbage we have now. Worth a shot in my eyes considering I see NO PACKERS ready to jump and not be a total liability/target.

Old
01-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Who siad anything about Top-4? ANd Yushkevich is a Top-4 D-man now? Yeah ok.
The same Dmitri Yushkevich that played so well down the stretch for the Flyers last season? Along with Justin Williams, Yushkevich was one of the few players who actually showed up for the playoffs last season. I was screaming for Clarke to resign him.

Old
01-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Larry Melnyk

I saw him enough not to be crazy about him...Played decent for a good, structured defensive team in the Flyers, was pretty pitiful for the scrambling Panthers and Kings....WHich ones more resmble the Rangers?

I see no reason in wasting any more money on money-grubbing mercenaries..Yushkevich won't make a bit of difference on the team the way Sather envisions it and when he would be ready to play his best (whatever that is), Devrfies would be back...The defense would be fine if Sather held them accountable and will be fine if the forwards played an all around game, something guys like Kovalev, Nedved, Carter, Hlavac, Messier and even others at times have failed to do.....I'm fine with Purinton and/or Bouchar over Bouchard

On second thought, maybe Yushkevich might be an improvemnt on Maladog...

Old
01-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I don't think this is even a debate. The rumor was started by Larry Brooks who is the worst writer in sports. Not one rumor i can remember has come true. I doubt Sather will sign anybody. What would he do when Devries comes back?

Old
01-12-2004, 02:01 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
The rumor was started by Larry Brooks who is the worst writer in sports. Not one rumor i can remember has come true.
Except the one about Lindros getting traded to us. And the one where Poti gets traded to us.

Old
01-12-2004, 04:05 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Except the one about Lindros getting traded to us. And the one where Poti gets traded to us.

True. Plus Brooks would practacally beg the Rangers to sign Holik. I remember Brooks stating this the summer before he became a UFA. Plus Brooks' loves Shane Doan.

Old
01-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
2 out of a 1000! holy cow!!!!

Old
01-12-2004, 05:36 PM
NYR469

Quote:
but a big part of the problem is that the guys who would be asked to fillin are hurt too...tyutin, jakopin and bouchard are 3 of the top guys to step in

Old
01-13-2004, 03:26 AM
True Blue

Quote:
2 out of a 1000! holy cow!!!!
1,000? Come on now. He's been wrong more than his share of times. There have been enough corrects as well.

Old
01-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
1,000? Come on now. He's been wrong more than his share of times. There have been enough corrects as well.
suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure he has. i think you will have a hard time finding more than 20 rumors that he has started that came true. the guy is a hack and his take on the team and sather is a joke

Old
01-13-2004, 01:46 PM
True Blue

Quote:
the guy is a hack and his take on the team and sather is a joke
Whatever Brooks may or may not be, his view on the team and Jackass is dead on. Where is he wrong? Please provide an example.

Old
01-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Whatever Brooks may or may not be, his view on the team and Jackass is dead on. Where is he wrong? Please provide an example.
how can i prove somebodys point of view to be wrong. people fight wars over such things. I think brooks is a reject. I think brooks is a liar and a horrible hockey writer. How can i believe anything he says about sather when he has had jagr to the rangers 4 times since august? Where is he right? please provide examples.

Old
01-13-2004, 02:57 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Where is he right? please provide examples.
1. He is right when he says that Sather has basically no clue as to how to run a team.
2. He is right when he points out the fact that accountability is a foreign concept to Sather.
3. He is right when he says that the Rangers consistently underachieve.
4. He is right when he ridicules Sather's treatment of Lindros.
5. He is right when he points out how Sather has a double standard for his favorites and all other players.
6. He is right when he talks about how the lack of discipline and poor special teams are inexcusable.

Old
01-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
1. He is right when he says that Sather has basically no clue as to how to run a team.
2. He is right when he points out the fact that accountability is a foreign concept to Sather.
3. He is right when he says that the Rangers consistently underachieve.
4. He is right when he ridicules Sather's treatment of Lindros.
5. He is right when he points out how Sather has a double standard for his favorites and all other players.
6. He is right when he talks about how the lack of discipline and poor special teams are inexcusable.
does he write this before or after he has the rangers getting forsberg or lidstrom? its funny you would actually take what he says with more than a grain of salt. i respect you as a poster but i can't agree with you when you say Brooks is a topical hockey writer. Accountabillty isnt a foreign concept to Sather. You dont know what goes on behind closed doors either do i.
Ridiculous treatment of lindros? it wasnt until the last two months that lindros has looked like the player Sather thought he was getting.
Every coach has favorites even a 4 time stanley cup champion is allowed that.

Closed Thread