HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The Blues' most positive defenseman

View Poll Results: Who has been the most positive Blues defenseman this year?
Jackman 0 0%
Brewer 2 4.35%
Backman 1 2.17%
Wagner 36 78.26%
Johnson 7 15.22%
Salvador 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-21-2007, 12:18 AM
SneakerPimp82

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
The Blues' most positive defenseman

Simple poll, choose who you feel has been the most positive defenseman this year.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 12:25 AM
SneakerPimp82

I chose Wagner simply because he's come out of nowhere and has been tremendous. EJ has played amazingly well too, but he's only played in 8 games, so that's why I went with Wagner.

Old
11-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Blue Sur

vCash: 500
Wagner's my choice as well. Wonder if it'll be a landslide. I hope he'll get used to the rigors of a long NHL season and withstand the injury bugs that have plagued too many of his peers (past and present). Solidity and smartness with the puck, composure on the blueline.

Blue Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

I voted Wagner too, but I was very close to chosing Backman. Backman has looked pretty good on offense and while not a physical Dman (I know this is why many dislike him), he plays a very good positional game. And while he still is getting flack from the fans, notice who was wearing an "A" on Monday night.

Back to Wagner, the guy is just playing his game, you can tell he is a very poised player. He hasnt been trying to do too much, and he doesnt make costly mistakes. His play in the offensive zone has been a big plus also.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 04:17 AM
Robb_K

I thought that maybe Backman would have the highest + in +/- rating, but I feel that Wagner has contributed most in impact in both offence and defence (so I voted for him). Also, as an undrafted rookie, he played more "over his head" than anyone else. He's played with poise that might be unexpected in ANY rookie, let alone, an undrafted one. He's added stability, and roster flexibility and depth to The Blues.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 05:10 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I thought that maybe Backman would have the highest + in +/- rating, but I feel that Wagner has contributed most in impact in both offence and defence (so I voted for him). Also, as an undrafted rookie, he played more "over his head" than anyone else. He's played with poise that might be unexpected in ANY rookie, let alone, an undrafted one. He's added stability, and roster flexibility and depth to The Blues.
The last couple games that I saw where Backman received a negative, I couldn't really see where he was at fault on the goals. He has to play the pass, if there isn't much of an angle to shoot at. Wagner is a rookie. He has played way over what anyone would have thought. If I have two complaints about his play, it is that his one on one coverage needs to be tighter as well as backing off on an odd rush (3 on 2). If he is closer to the player and takes away the middle of the ice, then the forward's moves are limited more to the outside and his stick can interfere in the passing lane. I think this happens, because he is an average skater and doesn't want to get beat from the outside. It's nothing that won't be fixed with experience. He's probably just being overly cautious so that he stays in St. Lou.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 08:18 AM
milieu bluez

Went with Wagner. Just picked his rookie card up on ebay. I think hes a bigger part of our future.

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Rush11

I like Wagner a lot, but I went with Johnson. Johnson has already improved a ton from his first few games. I think that trend will continue as the season goes on.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 11:13 AM
TrustInJarmo*

I went with Wagner...although you can't argue going with EJ as of late. But Wagner has been most consistent all season.

I think these are the only 2 guys that will be on our Blue Line for sure 5 years from now.

Question to everyone...If your JD, and Wagner does this the rest of the year...do you lock Wagner up to a long term contract for less money than what he could get if he continues this the next couple years?

I think Wagner is a legit top 4 defensemen...I would lock Wagner up at the end of the season.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:44 PM
General Veers

You guys are right, Wags is it. Even if he came in with us having expectations of him, he'd still be the most positive.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:01 PM
StLooFrenchy

Wags is the only blueliner we have that hasn't had a bad game, my vote is for him and consistency.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
GJB

So your best defenseman for 1 1/2 months into the season is now going to Peoria? Wouldn't they just make room for him on the big club?

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 05:46 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
So your best defenseman for 1 1/2 months into the season is now going to Peoria? Wouldn't they just make room for him on the big club?
Wags has options. His contract versatility makes him a good choice to send down. Also, Andy Murray has taken Brewer as his Padawan learner, so he's penciled in the lineup no matter what. Plus, most of the posts on here are from like 2 weeks ago, a LOT can change on a team in that time.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
When he was sent down, Peoria had 4 games during the time The Blues had 2. He can play 25-27 minutes on the #1 pairing there, while averaging only 15-17 minutes in The NHL over those 2 games. So, - he can get some good work in and have his timing back after 2 games missed (from his recent sitting out).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2007, 09:56 PM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
Too many NHL caliber d-men can have that effect. Plus, Wagner is the only one who can be go between the AHL and NHL without passing through waivers.

Old
12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
c-carp

Salvador until the last couple of games has big time overachieved. I will go with him here.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote