HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers agree that at this point in season improvement needed

Old
11-21-2007, 10:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2563
Flyers agree that at this point in season improvement needed

This quote is powerful:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...TS04/711210401

If the Flyers hope to become an elite team, their best players will need to start playing that way. After averaging 29 goals and 60 points in his first two seasons with the Flyers, Knuble is on pace for just 22 goals and 39 points.

Hartnell has been an absolute bust through 19 games. With one empty-net goal and three assists, he's on pace for (brace yourself) four goals and 17 points. Not exactly the kind of production the Flyers expected when they gave him a six-year, $25.2 million contract.

Briere is tied for second on the team in goals with seven and leads the club in assists with 13, but since recording four goals and three assists in his first three games, Briere has just three goals and 10 assists in his last 16 games.

Knuble said one problem the Flyers are having is getting the eight new players on their roster -- Briere, Lupul, Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen, Jason Smith, Jim Dowd, Riley Cote and Rory Fitzpatrick -- ingrained in being Philadelphia Flyers.

"When you join a new team you're thinking about your old team," Knuble said.

"Philly is still not "we,' it's "them.' We've got to get these guys to the we.' It's been 2 1/2 months. Now is the time to buy in."

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
What the hell is Knuble talking about?

I think maybe it's just him not included in the "we" since he sucks so horribly.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 10:35 AM
TOCxNJ

are you friggin kidding me?!?! i'm somewhat confused and shocked that knuble would say something like this. not sure if he's trying to shift blame away from himself by calling out other players or what. you cant suck ass and call other people out. its time for knuble to step it up as well.

what a weird thing for him to say.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 10:43 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7

why dont you look in the mirror knuble and start by oh i dont know, STOP TAKING PENALTIES WHILE ON THE POWER PLAY?!!?

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
bungle
Casual Observer

Does seem like an odd thing for Knuble to say. Lupul, Smith, Dowd, Cote seem to be total team players. Hartnell too, regardless of his lack of production. Briere and Timonnen are a bit harder to gauge but I really doubt that they are the problem.

Sounds like Knuble is looking for excuses. I'd say his main one is that Forsberg isn't there for him any more to slow down the play and spoon feed him. I like the guy a lot but I'm not sure he is a fit for this new faster team any more.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

Knuble said one problem the Flyers are having is getting the eight new players on their roster -- Briere, Lupul, Hartnell, Kimmo Timonen, Jason Smith, Jim Dowd, Riley Cote and Rory Fitzpatrick -- ingrained in being Philadelphia Flyers.

"When you join a new team you're thinking about your old team," Knuble said.

"Philly is still not "we,' it's "them.' We've got to get these guys to the we.' It's been 2 1/2 months. Now is the time to buy in."
Maybe he means they haven't bought in to being Flyers in the mold of last year. Maybe he is frustraded that they make him look so bad, and he wants a return to last season when EVERYBODY (minus gagne) looked bad.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 10:59 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Knuble is a jackass

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 11:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2563
http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...02/1002/sports

Stevens tinkered with his forward lines Tuesday, moving LW Scott Hartnell off Richards' line and putting him with Briere and RW Joffrey Lupul. Richards will now center a line with LW Scottie Upshall and RW Mike Knuble. . . .

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
rayearth

Quote:

Stevens tinkered with his forward lines Tuesday, moving LW Scott Hartnell off Richards' line and putting him with Briere and RW Joffrey Lupul. Richards will now center a line with LW Scottie Upshall and RW Mike Knuble. . . .
Good, Hartnell and Knuble should not be foisted upon anyone, much less Richards. I can't believe they kept them together for even this long.

Hartnell Briere Lupul
Upshall Richards Knuble
Umberger Carter Tolpeko
Kapanen Dowd Cote/Eager

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Jaymin

Send a message via Yahoo to Jaymin
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Good, Hartnell and Knuble should not be foisted upon anyone, much less Richards. I can't believe they kept them together for even this long.

Hartnell Briere Lupul
Upshall Richards Knuble
Umberger Carter Tolpeko
Kapanen Dowd Cote/Eager
Not that Hartnell is slow, but having a line where there is slow (Hartnell), fast (Richards), and slow as **** (Knuble) cannot be good for Knuble and his confidence. Although I don't really think that a line of Upshall, Richards, and Knuble will help Knuble much as Upshall and Richards are way faster then Knuble is.

Knuble needs to realize that he cannot keep up with the guys we have brought it and be willing to take 3rd or 4th line minutes for the sake of this team. As I really don't think that Knuble can increase his speed any more then it already is at.

Jaymin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Knuble reminds me of Robert Esche: he's not a natural leader by any means, but he's trying to be one on a very young team. Unfortunately, just like Esche, Knuble's play has tailed off into no man's land.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
McNasty

I like what Stevens is thinking here, Upshall gets in on the forecheck steals it, passes to Richie who lets a quick shot go and it hits Knubles fat ass and goes in. Operation can't possibly fail.

I like Umberger Carter and Tolpeko. We'll see how it goes tonight.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Yoshimitsu

Maybe Knuble should focus more on not being terrible and less on how his teammates are adjusting to a new team.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:17 PM
continental divide*

Without actually knowing who Knuble was referencing, I could only guess that it's Hartnell, and here's why I think that...

There was an article a few weeks back in the Daily where Hartnell said 'it always takes time to adjust to a new system'. When he made that statement, it wreaked of excuse and/or insecurity.

Couple that with the fact that after practice, he is one of the ONLY Flyers that goes out of his way to avoid the fans. By no means am I saying he owes the fans ANYTHING after practice, but he goes out of his way to ignore and bypass people. All they're trying to do is wish him well. He just seems like he has a very bad attitude right now.

As for the lines tonight - HALLELUJAH - Upshall is finally with Richards. They used that line the other night and it paid off immediately.

I also really like Tolpeko.

continental divide* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Like the new lines...

Still don't know what the **** Knuble is talking about, or how he has any right to say anything this year. By every account so far (until today), we've heard that the lockerroom is very united and that it feels like a family.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:54 PM
BringBackStevens

I have a feeling Knuble didn't mean what many people here thought he meant.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 02:59 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:02 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
What the hell is Knuble talking about? I think maybe it's just him not included in the "we" since he sucks so horribly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
are you friggin kidding me?!?! i'm somewhat confused and shocked that knuble would say something like this. not sure if he's trying to shift blame away from himself by calling out other players or what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
why dont you look in the mirror knuble and start by oh i dont know, STOP TAKING PENALTIES WHILE ON THE POWER PLAY?!!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0flyers View Post
Sounds like Knuble is looking for excuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Maybe he is frustraded that they make him look so bad, and he wants a return to last season when EVERYBODY (minus gagne) looked bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
Knuble is a jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Maybe Knuble should focus more on not being terrible and less on how his teammates are adjusting to a new team.
It's cemented - there's a new whipping boy in town.

Quote:
Still don't know what the **** Knuble is talking about
How could you?

Quote:
By every account so far (until today), we've heard that the lockerroom is very united and that it feels like a family.
I have heard no such thing. Ay any rate, he's not saying that there is discord, just that some guys haven't totally blended yet.

Quote:
Interjecting some reason into the froth, eh? Well done!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I have heard no such thing. Ay any rate, he's not saying that there is discord, just that some guys haven't totally blended yet.
they talk about it in nearly EVERY telecast... Timmeh P has mentioned it numerous times... perhaps you watch the games on mute and don't read about the team?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:28 PM
flyboys15

I like the idea of Upshall-Richards-Knuble...

Scottie and the Cannon seem like they have a lot of chemistry together as of late...

...and please nobody jump all over me on this one but I can see similarities with Richie's ability to slow down the play on offense as Foppa had with Philly, I can compare Scottie's wrister with Gagne's...I wouldn't spend games and games making this work but I see potential for this to help out #22.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:41 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I just lost a lot of respect for Knuble after this, I mean, he's been one of the worst players on the team and he's calling out guys like Lupul and Marty who have been big-time contributors, get serious.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:45 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I just lost a lot of respect for Knuble after this, I mean, he's been one of the worst players on the team and he's calling out guys like Lupul and Marty who have been big-time contributors, get serious.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm down on Knuble too... but he did nothing of the sort

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, Knuble was talking about Fitzpatrick, and that chain of **** ups he had the other night? It's not like Knuble to rag on teammates.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm down on Knuble too... but he did nothing of the sort
at face value, that's exactly what he did. new players who aren't buying into the system and aren't thinking "we" yet.

certainly it isn't him... he's been here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:53 PM
runkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
they talk about it in nearly EVERY telecast... Timmeh P has mentioned it numerous times... perhaps you watch the games on mute and don't read about the team?
Jester, I read just about everything about the team I can get my hands on and I haven't seen anything that looks like discord (Knuble's quote IMO is the first hint at anything of the sort - and even his quote I think is being way overblown already) where has there been mention of discord around the team this year?

They talk about the team coming together and getting acclimated to one another but I don't consider that discord, am I misunderstanding what you are saying? I would like to see some of the talk about discord if there is any because I haven't seen it.

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote