HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do the Yotes' youngsters stack up vs the rest of their division?

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2004, 06:05 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
How do the Yotes' youngsters stack up vs the rest of their division?

Fellow hockey fans, I just completed a thread regarding the youngsters in the Pacific division. Have a peak if you'd like:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...942#post722942

I tried to hide my bias as much as possible, and I'd probably forgot a few, but be free to comment on the thread.

Old
01-17-2004, 08:46 AM
ducky

Great in depth analysis...very fair and well thought out IMO.

thanks M=G

Old
01-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Greg

These type posts are fun to read and discuss. I guess it's basically a comparison of young assets. What's interesting to think about is each organization has players they think are 'can't miss.' Some of these never develop and some of the less-heralded players rise to the top. I'll comment on what I am familiar with in your post, the Coyotes:

Quote:
Phoenix: Brian Boucher, David Leneveu, Zac Bierk

Not bad, but definitely not stellar either. I still have my doubts about Boucher, whether he can be a consistent starter for several seasons. I still see Bierk as a Corey Schwab kinda guy, solid backup though. David Leneveu is definitely a good one, about on par with our Bacashihua..
Many Coyote fans, if not all, feel this is an organizational strength right now. An organizational strength in number and quality. One asset that is forgotten when thinking about Coyote goalies is Benoit Allaire, one of the best goalie coaches in the league. The post deals with the future, but Burke must be mentioned. Despite his age, Sean Burke leads (in more ways than one) the way. He's a leader and positive influence on all the Coyote goalies. If Sean Burke's attitude and mentality has rubbed off on Brian Boucher in the least, the Coyotes should be fine when Burke is gone. Besides the recent record-breaking history Boucher has made, Coyote fans have seen inconsistent play from him. That said, he has the ability to be a #1 goalie for the Coyotes. Zac Bierk is good when he is healthy, but when is that? Is he really hurt right now? Bierk is a question mark. The Coyotes have two goalies playing in the AHL. And fans of the Springfield Falcons say they are likely the two best players on the team. Jean-Marc Pelletier has been a rock for the Falcons, despite his numbers. In years past, there was not much confidence from a goalie call-up from Springfield. Now, Pelletier is just the type of depth suitable for NHL back up or spot duty starts. The hope of the whole group is in David LeNeveu. Stellar college career. And he has responded well to the transition to pro hockey. AHL All-Star in his rookie year is a nice reward. High hopes for LeNeveu and no need to rush him. One more goalie that PhoPhan would not want to be left out is Jeff Pietrasaik at UNH.

Quote:
Phoenix: Ossi Vaananen, Paul Mara, David Tanabe, Matthew Spiller, Igor Knyazev, Radoslav Suchy, Beat-Schiess Forster.

Impossible for the Stars to match. A core with a lot of depth and it has a great mix of offensive and defensive blueliners. All the ones listed have top 4 potential, if they aren't one already. I do have my doubts on Knyazev though, I think his window is closing rapidly. Very impressive core, with Mara and Vaananen leading the way. IMO, they have one of the most promesing defenses in the entire NHL. I'm jealous..
A lot to be excited about for Coyote fans. The core of Ossi, Paul, David, and Matthew should play and grow together for years. All are very good skaters. Tanabe can fly. Vaananen, Mara, and Spiller are very mobile for their size. The group has a nice mix of offensive and defensive abilities. Fair statement on Igor Kynazev. Some of the Coyote fans on this board (including me), thought that Kynazev was the steal of the Markov trade. At this point, I would do the trade Markov for Tanabe straight up. It's nice to take a chance on Kynazev. Defenseman take longer and he is young, we'll see. Coyote fans are hoping he's not Safronov II. Two guys Coyote fans know about are Matt Jones and Joe Callahan. They are two solid players in college the organization regards highly. I left off Radoslav Suchy on purpose, because he usually goes unnoticed on the ice.

Quote:
Phoenix: Ladislav Nagy, Brank Radivojevic, Jeff Taffe, Fredrik Sjostrom, Kiel McLeod, Krystoffer Kolanos, Ivan Novoseltsev, Martin Podlesak, Jakub Koreis.

Man, it just won't stop, lots of supurb talents here, and they even have more in players like Ben Eager, Frantisek Lukes, Michael Schutte, Lance Monych. The clearcut winner in terms of depth and potential. The diversity is very well organized as well, with the size and toughness coming from McLeod, Podlsak and Taffe while the scoring comes in bunches from the rest, currently led by Ladislav Nagy, who at just 23 is already in the think of things. Some questionable ones though, like Radivojevic, Koreis and Novoseltsev, who I don't really like. All in all, a serious pack of talent to be jealous of, and Stars management should look no further then their next door neighboors to find prove that trading assets and signing young UFA prospects could definitely get you some unreal talent for the future.

If it wasn't for Nagy, the Stars would actually match up quite well with the Yotes. Both have some underrated prospects and both are relatively deep, but Nagy just jumps out and could become the star of the Pacific division. Something the Stars have no answer at..
IMO, Nagy and Doan are two top six forwards to build around. Fredrik Sjostrom is one young player who is showing the Coyotes he is a piece to the top six puzzle. Jeff Taffe is getting better and has the talent to join the group. Branko Radivojevic is a hard working player who has scored some timely goals. Coyote fans would be thrilled to see more offense from him, but he is a good complimentary player right now. Kolanos has the talent and there are still high hopes for him. But questions about his desire and can he get back to the pre-concussion level of play are still there. Many on this board do not forsee McLeod, Podlesak, and Koreis as top six. They are still young, so the hope is they might still develop. Lack of offense are associated with Koreis and McLeod. And health concerns tag Podlesak. These are the types that can play a third and fourth lines role and contribute in other areas than points. If signed, Ben Eager is probably a player that will join that trio. But with his wheels has the ability to be a complimentary player in the top six. Much in the way Dallas Drake was used in Phoenix. I don't think Frank Lukes has much of a future in the organization. We'll see, but management likes size and Lukes is playing sparingly in Springfield. Schutte was traded for Chris Dyment. I wonder if Lance Monych will be signed? Brandon fans still say he is the laziest player on the team. Some under the radar guys are Mike Stutzel, Dimitri Pestunov, and Tyler Redenbach.

Old
01-17-2004, 02:13 PM
hbk

Greg's comments pretty much summed up my thoughts.

Only comment I have is why don't you like Radivojevic?

Old
01-17-2004, 03:36 PM
hbk

the more I think about this post and the significance thereof, I feel I should thank M=G for his analysis. It's one thing when one of the "regulars" on this board tries to forecast and speculate on our future. This post provides some reassurance that we are not guilty of groupthink in regards to our outlook for this squad.

Old
01-17-2004, 06:59 PM
ulf

good job........m=g i enjoyed the post

Old
01-18-2004, 06:50 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg

One more goalie that PhoPhan would not want to be left out is Jeff Pietrasaik at UNH.
Nicely done, thank you very much

And thanks to M=G, that was a very in depth analysis.

Closed Thread