HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hanlon Fired, replaced with Bruce from Hershey

Old
11-22-2007, 11:18 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
What kind of coach is he? Trapping or wide open kind of guy?
Not trapping...yet not wide open. His teams in Hershey have always just played with aggression in the offensive zone. He always seems to find the best line combos for the players he has.

I do know this...I'll bet money that Steckel will be back to 3rd line center (with Gordon likely on the wing).

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Bruinhcky

Best of luck to Hanlon!
Something had to be done, he wasn't the problem
but he's a number in the owners plan (#8 I think
we're up to now).

Caps need players, not coaches.

Bruinhcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:30 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Finally, some hope to get our lines assembled. I dont like interim coaches - give Bruce the job or not and if he fails then can him too. I cant help but think they like this idea to save money. And keeping the same assistants around makes no sense to me but I am no expert.

I like that he has a little fire behind the bench. Our players certainly dont have any fire (not Ovey) and someone needs to lead by example when we are in a funk.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Cush
-inator

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit...een_fired.html

Quote:
Update: Here's Boudreau's first shot at the forward line combos:

Ovechkin-Kozlov-Clark
Fleischmann-Nylander-Semin
Pettinger-Steckel-Gordon
Brashear-Laich/Backstrom-Bradley

The key here, obviously, is that Backstrom is sharing time on the fourth line.

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:34 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Update from Tarik (just kinda confirming what I said eariler about Bruce being intense...even in practice)

Quote:
Update:Boudreau has only been on the ice for about 40 minutes, but I can already point out some major differences in how he deals with players. First of all, he's a yeller. He's barks encouragement and instructions constantly during drills -- something you rarely heard from Hanlon, who was more reserved on the ice.

The players also have to race over to the eraser board when Boudreau blows his whistle. The last player to the huddle is forced to skate a lap. Just saw Erskine do one.

Old
11-22-2007, 11:41 AM
CapGoodie

From that same entry:
Quote:
Update:Boudreau has only been on the ice for about 40 minutes, but I can already point out some major differences in how he deals with players. First of all, he's a yeller. He's barks encouragement and instructions constantly during drills -- something you rarely heard from Hanlon, who was more reserved on the ice.

The players also have to race over to the eraser board when Boudreau blows his whistle. The last player to the huddle is forced to skate a lap. Just saw Erskine do one.
I like this change....really like the different style.

The Backstrom thing might be tough on Nik, but it was probably going to come down to him or Flash being dropped from the top 6 to start. Have to give the new coach a chance to get to know his players in game situations and I think most in those situations give the older guys the chance first. I'm not worried about Backstrom getting a fair shake in the long term under Boudreau.

Interesting to see him go with the Steck-Gordon combo, it did help him win a Calder Cup did it not?

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
CapitalPunishment

IMHO, still not the right guy for the job. Nothing against Bruce. It's just too little, too late...

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
The Viking Fury

well his lines are obviously not what I, or most people on here, would do... but, I don't get Backstrom on the fourth line. Not sure what its about, but you know that all of us would have blasted hanlon for doing that.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
well his lines are obviously not what I, or most people on here, would do... but, I don't get Backstrom on the fourth line. Not sure what its about, but you know that all of us would have blasted hanlon for doing that.
i like it... i think it spreads talent more throughout all 4 lines. at the very least it should improve his defense, something sorely lacking by many forwards on this team.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:49 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Finally, some hope to get our lines assembled. I dont like interim coaches - give Bruce the job or not and if he fails then can him too. I cant help but think they like this idea to save money. And keeping the same assistants around makes no sense to me but I am no expert.

I like that he has a little fire behind the bench. Our players certainly dont have any fire (not Ovey) and someone needs to lead by example when we are in a funk.
I think it's safe to say if he does well the job is his.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:53 AM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotj08 View Post
i like it... i think it spreads talent more throughout all 4 lines. at the very least it should improve his defense, something sorely lacking by many forwards on this team.
Maybe, but I doubt Bradley and Brash or Laich will finish for him. Hopefully he still gets power play time.

All i'm saying is that these line combos owuld have their own 10 page thread if hanlon had done them. I just don't like Backstorm on the fourth line for more than maybe a game.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

I'm not going to blast Boudreau for anything yet.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 12:00 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
if bruce b is truly just the interim, i'd imagine they'd keep the assistants on to let the new guy pick his crew. part of me hopes bruce b is ready for the show, but i'm not counting on it.
Why is it that some (not necessarily you) think Boudreau isn't ready to coach in the NHL yet are willing to give Hunter a chance?

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 12:01 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Bryan Murray was straight out of the AHL and is arguably the greatest coach the caps have ever seen.

Old
11-22-2007, 12:03 PM
CapGoodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Maybe, but I doubt Bradley and Brash or Laich will finish for him. Hopefully he still gets power play time.

All i'm saying is that these line combos owuld have their own 10 page thread if hanlon had done them. I just don't like Backstorm on the fourth line for more than maybe a game.
True, but it's a new coach in his first practice. If he loses 10 of his first 11 games and is still playing Kozlov at centre, Backstrom on the wing, and moving everyone else around then he might deserve the same treatment.

New coach coming in with experience with Flash, probabaly wants to get what he can out of him. Experience with Gordon-Steckel on the same line - that moves Clark off the checking line into Kozlov's Rw spot. Someone had to get sacrificed from the top 6 and it's usually going to be the youngest player. It's just a starting point for Boudreau to go from and makes sense for him. He's a talent evaluator I trust in more than Hanlon and a guy who hasn't mired the development of young players. I'm really not worried about Backstrom in the medium-long term being stuck on a 4th line. It's just Boudreau's starting point from Day 1 and he's going with some chemistry things he knows have a chance (Gordon-Steck) (Ovy-Clark). He gets a little more patience than Hanlon did for now IMO. I doubt 1-2 months from now Backstrom is getting Hanlon style 4th line minutes or anything of that nature.

Last edited by CapGoodie: 11-22-2007 at 12:09 PM.
CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm not going to blast Boudreau for anything yet.
my concerns are this will be 3 straight coaches with zero NHL coaching experience (unless im mistaken) and the interim label always worries me....a guy can come in and do good enough to get another shot, but is he really the ideal coach.

I'm all for full front office change at seasons end baring a miracle

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 01:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Ovechkin-Kozlov-Clark
Pettinger-Steckel-Gordon

Queue the armchair coaches. "Backstrom on the 4th line??!!? Blasphemy!"

Sucks for Hanlon to get let go on Thanksgiving, but after the reaction during the game last night, I don't think there was much of a choice. Ted was lucky he wasn't there to see the fans turn against their own team.

On Bruce....well, wrong move IMO. We bring in another guy with no NHL coaching pedigree where IMO, this team needs a vet. Short term, this might improve the results a bit, but I don't think it's the right move longterm.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 01:11 PM
TOML

Hey, Atlanta fired Hartley and they turned it around somewhat. Led by a huge hotstreak by Kovalchuk.

Hopefully, the same thing will happen in Washington. They need to get their snipers sniping again. Well, Semin anyways.

Poor Hanlon. Never had a healthy lineup to work with. But i agree that something needed to be done after that brutal loss to Atlanta. Shouldn't happen.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 01:24 PM
HunterSThompson

good move firing hanlon, best of luck to him, something had to happen soon.

IMO good move hiring bruce on an interim basis. if he does well, over the entire season, you keep him. if he does poorly, he goes back to hershey and you hire the one you want. whether that is hunter or bengt or hartley or whoever. they will all most certainly be available next summer. they have a summer and training camp to implement their systems.

furthermore, if the coach you want is hunter ot bengt or someone that has a job right now, you most likely couldn't have him mid season. my prediction. bruce rides it out and dale hunter is named the new coach over the summer

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 01:47 PM
txpd

Well, I got my wish. Hanlon gone...reset button pressed. Many here got their wish, Boudreau as coach.

Now...How many of those are rocked immediately back on their A$$ to see Backstrom, not only NOT playing top 6 center, but booted to the 4th line? This by the way would be further back of the bus than playing 2nd line RW.

Then there is Kozlov still at center. I know many here thought this was some stupid Hanlon thing. Yet, Hanlon goes and Kozlov stays at center.

Had Hanlon done this I could see three pages of posts saying he doesnt have a clue.

By the way...I would take Bengt Gustafsson as the coach in a second.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Garl

Backstrom to 4th line? Nice.
Send him to ECHL alredy.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 01:52 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Ovechkin-Kozlov-Clark
Pettinger-Steckel-Gordon

Queue the armchair coaches. "Backstrom on the 4th line??!!? Blasphemy!"

Sucks for Hanlon to get let go on Thanksgiving, but after the reaction during the game last night, I don't think there was much of a choice. Ted was lucky he wasn't there to see the fans turn against their own team.

On Bruce....well, wrong move IMO. We bring in another guy with no NHL coaching pedigree where IMO, this team needs a vet. Short term, this might improve the results a bit, but I don't think it's the right move longterm.
I read Boudreau as Interm coach as the following:

The coach or coaches that McPhee wants are unavailable coaching elsewhere and have told him they would be interested after the season. Boudreau is of great value at Hershey. Hiring him as coach and replacing him at Hershey means that he is lost to the company if the Caps don't fully recover and/or McPhee can hire his man in the spring.

IF Dale Hunter said, yes, but not til next season, then you give Boudreau a nothing to lose shot at making the playoffs and winning the job.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 01:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Boudreau has only been on the ice for about 40 minutes, but I can already point out some major differences in how he deals with players. First of all, he's a yeller. He's barks encouragement and instructions constantly during drills -- something you rarely heard from Hanlon, who was more reserved on the ice.

Sweet....it's like highschool sports!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 02:16 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

God chimes in....

http://www.hersheypa.com/events/hers...bears_blog.php

Quote:
I just wanted to let you know, as a humble servant of your minor league affiliate, I believe Bruce is the guy you need. Bruce Boudreau is one of the greatest people I’ve ever been around, a great leader of men with just enough grit to go with his compassion for his players to get the job done for you.

Old
11-22-2007, 02:22 PM
bottleCAPS

just wanna take a moment and wish all my american comerades on here a Happy Thanksgiving.