HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hanlon Fired, replaced with Bruce from Hershey

Old
11-22-2007, 03:20 PM
andrewmn

vCash: 500
Thank goodness.

You could see the team collapse on Hanlon last night. It wasn't pretty.

There's no way that Coach B lasts for more than 2 weeks. I really expect a veteran coach sometime in the first week of December.

andrewmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 03:40 PM
CapGoodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmn View Post
Thank goodness.

You could see the team collapse on Hanlon last night. It wasn't pretty.

There's no way that Coach B lasts for more than 2 weeks. I really expect a veteran coach sometime in the first week of December.

They didn't pull him out of Hershey to give him only 2 weeks and disrupt both levels of the organization lol. He's here for a lot longer than that. He gets the rest of the season IMO, and depending on the results will be a strong candidate for the perm job as well. If the team does terribly and the right guy comes along later in the year - maybe. I still think it's Bruce's team for the remainder of the season and potentially much longer than that.

Believe in Bruce B.

Interesting stuff from Vogels blog, Green was on both PP units - Backstrom despite skating on the 4th line was on the first pp unit as well. No forwards playing on the point.

And of course Semin left practice with an ankle problem again - so if Bruce doesn't have success he's got a ready made excuse right?

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 04:36 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I would have fired McPhee/Hanlon and made Pat Quinn coach/GM. The Caps are ripe for some stable leadership from a guy with a proven track record. As long as McPhee continues to be GM, I'm not sure if the Caps can get things on track. It's only a matter of time, I guess. Washington deserves better.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 04:42 PM
andrewmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
They didn't pull him out of Hershey to give him only 2 weeks and disrupt both levels of the organization lol. He's here for a lot longer than that. He gets the rest of the season IMO, and depending on the results will be a strong candidate for the perm job as well. If the team does terribly and the right guy comes along later in the year - maybe. I still think it's Bruce's team for the remainder of the season and potentially much longer than that.
Two weeks isn't going to disrupt anything. He's only there to mind the store while they play 6 games in 9 nights. Then they get the break and get to put in the real coach.

Boudreau is a short term band aid solution. Thinking he's going to be there for the duration of the season is just not true...or backed up by any facts.

andrewmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmn View Post
Thinking he's going to be there for the duration of the season is just not true...or backed up by any facts.
Disagree. CapGoodie's reasoning is sound.

It should also be noted that your thought that Boudreau is going to be gone in two weeks isn't true, or backed up by any facts, either.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 05:01 PM
txpd

The Caps appear by all accounts to have stability and continuity high on their management style list. My guess is that its a Ted directive.

They prove that in their player personel decisions. They further proved that by not giving Hanlon the quick hook that they could have.

Boudreau is a respected part of the organEYEzation. He has coached many of these players with success and its those players that are critical here. Not so much the veterans. The vets have made mistakes of late, but its the play of the youngsters that has shown to be completely rattled by the pressure of losing.

My take is that McPhee has a choice in mind that is not currently available and will give Boudreau the rest of the season to win the job.

McPhee is an organEYEzational type guy. A relationship guy. If he hires Dale Hunter or Bengt Gustafsson as coach, he gets guys with Caps blood in their veins and guys who in their post players careers have been very accomplished. Guys that show up in Washington to meet with McPhee and spend time with the players. Bengt was just here. Hunts was here coaching the centers on face offs last season. I don't think either of those guys are available today while both could be available in the spring.

Hunter is the ultimate Cap. Gustafsson is a world class coach who may in his own way have been quietly the best player the Caps ever had.

I would far prefer either Hunts or Gustafsson over Quinn. Both Hunter and Gustafsson carry cred with the fan base that Quinn doesn't have.

Boudreau stays because the Caps are a young organEYEzation with a pile of young guys still coming. Boudreau coaches the Caps or the Bears.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Atlas

Ah well...I like Hanlon but he was having a hell of a time getting this team to win. You just can't let the wheels fall off and do nothing about it. Hanlon is 100x better than Cassidy was...but if they can find a great coach then by all means you have to do it. Everything I know about Bruce B is positive...he's done all he could do in the minors. We'll see if he has what it takes at the NHL level. I like what you guys are saying about his intensity. An NHL head coach defiintely needs that. Have we ever had a guy like that? Schoenfeld was like that. But he was half nuts. He was not a great coach for developing young players (to say the least). But he did get the guys to play hard for the team.

Good luck Hugs! Good luck Bruce!

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
my concerns are this will be 3 straight coaches with zero NHL coaching experience (unless im mistaken) and the interim label always worries me....a guy can come in and do good enough to get another shot, but is he really the ideal coach.

I'm all for full front office change at seasons end baring a miracle
You're finally ready to dump this regime? We are finally on the same sde of this great debate?

Wow.

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Boudreau is a respected part of the organEYEzation. He has coached many of these players with success and its those players that are critical here. Not so much the veterans. The vets have made mistakes of late, but its the play of the youngsters that has shown to be completely rattled by the pressure of losing.
I'd say it's been both that have been rattled. The vets haven't exactly been glaringly shaky but they haven't effectively helped lead the team in the right direction in the face of adversity either. I do think that Boudreau is a better fit for this team right now, though, and can put them in a better position to win games. Hanlon was fresh out of ideas, whereas this is Boudreau's big chance. He's more no non-sense and they really need that to heighten their focus collectively and instill a more comprehensive gameplan. Whether it's more than a short-term gig for him, we'll see. It's an open audition at this point and up to him to show what he can do. It's going to take the players buying in and he's been pretty effective in the past in making that happen. Having already coached about a third of the team already while in Hershey, I'm sure the ex-Bears on the team will vouch for his character and capability.
Quote:
I would far prefer either Hunts or Gustafsson over Quinn. Both Hunter and Gustafsson carry cred with the fan base that Quinn doesn't have.
That depends on the fan. From a coaching perspective, it's hard to lack credibility when you're one of the most experienced coaches of all-time. By the same token, Quinn's biggest negative is his age. Does he still have what it takes? Maybe but he seems like a more ideal fit for a team that's a little further along in their development. Pittsburgh perhaps?

All we can really do is speculate as to why there's an interim at this point. I mean, who is to say that McPhee will even be around if Boudreau fares no better than Hanlon and another alternative needs to be found? It could be that Leonsis told McPhee that Boudreau is his last chance and that if an interim can't perform any better then it's not the coach that's the issue but rather the guy responsible for putting this team together in the first place.

Either way, I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with Boudreau as the interim than Leach or Evason.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
You're finally ready to dump this regime? We are finally on the same sde of this great debate?

Wow.
my post-lockout position hasnt changed....this was the season I expected to see a competitive hockey team, in the position to get even better.

Last season was a disappointment with the way they ended (and by ended I mean last 2/3's) the season. Injuries or not it was just a bad club with a bad atmosphere simmering by seasons end. They made what appears to be fairly solid moves this off season. I was vocal at seasons end that if they didnt add real players to the roster I would officially be calling for heads. Add to that I made mention several times that whatever moves/no moves the team had to be better....well....its not

The season is not over seeing how they actually do have to play. I dont know what their thinking is on the coaching, if this is a legit shot or if they have someone in mind but have to wait....who knows. But if the story isnt how the Caps fought out of a dreadful start to salvage a respectable season TL really needs to look at the big picture

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

All we can really do is speculate as to why there's an interim at this point. I mean, who is to say that McPhee will even be around if Boudreau fares no better than Hanlon and another alternative needs to be found? It could be that Leonsis told McPhee that Boudreau is his last chance and that if an interim can't perform any better then it's not the coach that's the issue but rather the guy responsible for putting this team together in the first place.

Either way, I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable with Boudreau as the interim than Leach or Evason.

The bolded sections ring true for me

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 07:32 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

For those that havent listened...good Makfi presser.

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?se...id=41&iid=1995

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 07:57 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Jeez I must have walked out the door right this morning right before this all went down, heh.

Anyways move had to be made....glad GM pulled the trigger.

11-22-2007, 09:09 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I like to hear that Boudreau has aborted the forwards at the points on the PP. Why did we bring in Poti and draft Green if we need forwards there. Ovey up top limited what our best player was doing - trying to fire one timers from far away. I dont think it got us many or any goals. I think we know Ovey can play D in a pinch.

Semins hurt again and that really sucks. At least we got to see him dance last night. With Semin out our lines shuffle for Bruce already - so much for demoting Backstrom. Maybe he willl try the top line many here predicted in the offseason, that poor dumb unemployed Hanlon never tried for even one game - OV Nylander Koz.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 09:18 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I think it's safe to say if he does well the job is his.
How can BB do worse than Hanlon though. So if he is marginal we keep him since he hasnt done bad. Then we are stuck with a marginal coach. Ted opened up the wallet and then brought in Cassidy to save $$$, whose clash with Jagr destroyed the team. He wasted so much money and a chance at a cup by chincing on a coach. Dont blame Jagr, he had no respect for a clown coach telling him to play defense. Then we bring in Hanlon, no NHL experience to further save money. Now Ted opens up the wallet, but brings in Bruce, with no NHL experience. Nothing at all against BB, but our coaches are nobody's in the NHL coaching ranks.

Bruce shows promise from what I hear about him here. If he doesnt clash with our best players he will certainly improve our team a lot.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

lastnight was the first game i watched in awhile, and as soon as we lost the lead, i hoped for atlanta to blow us out. and sure enough, they did. just heard about the firing like 10 minutes ago though.

i would imagine a guy like Boudreau would get a little more support. i mean i was just content with a change, but i really feel like he can do this job well.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 10:08 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Update from Tarik (just kinda confirming what I said eariler about Bruce being intense...even in practice)

Update:Boudreau has only been on the ice for about 40 minutes, but I can already point out some major differences in how he deals with players. First of all, he's a yeller. He's barks encouragement and instructions constantly during drills -- something you rarely heard from Hanlon, who was more reserved on the ice.

The players also have to race over to the eraser board when Boudreau blows his whistle. The last player to the huddle is forced to skate a lap. Just saw Erskine do one.

HAHA! I do that with my lacrosse players (except it's 20 pushups instead of skating a lap)! Works like a charm with HS kids. Wonder how well it will work with adult professionals.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 10:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter View Post
HAHA! I do that with my lacrosse players (except it's 20 pushups instead of skating a lap)! Works like a charm with HS kids. Wonder how well it will work with adult professionals.

Yup...has amateur written all over it. Dunno....can't hurt to try I guess.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
it's worked out pretty good for him at the AHL level

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
it's worked out pretty good for him at the AHL level
This isn't Kansas Dorothy.

Old
11-22-2007, 10:42 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
This isn't Kansas Dorothy.
you're so clever.

team could use a little structure if you ask me.

and technically if hanlon was in kansas, and BB couldnt do any worse(based on popular opinion here), then who is to say he cant be as successful at the NHL level. and heaven forbid he has a chance to try.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Honest to god...I can't think of a coach we've ever had that I want to see win more than Boudreau. I liked Wilson...and Shoney...and the Murrarys. All had good moments. Cassidy I never was sold on...and Hanlon was a "meh". He never really captured my attention as someone I was rooting for aside from rooting for the team as a whole.

Just from following the Bears and their run to the Calder Cup and follow up from last year...Bruce is a good coach who deserved this chance to in the NHL. I really want him to succeed at this. If it's not here...well somewhere. I just hope for his sake that its not too soon (without the NHL experience as an assistant) and its not too late to fix this team.

I believe in Bruce...the players better too...or they are next to go.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 11:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
you're so clever.

team could use a little structure if you ask me.

and technically if hanlon was in kansas, and BB couldnt do any worse(based on popular opinion here), then who is to say he cant be as successful at the NHL level. and heaven forbid he has a chance to try.

TY TY!

Hey...all he has to do is 180% this team and I'm a firm believer. What better scenario could we ask for than a guy from within the organization?

Old
11-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Backstrom with Ovechkin, Semin, or don't play him in the NHL at all.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 06:51 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
High there. Monarchs STH here. I had the opportunity to get to know Bruce when he was here in NH coaching the Monarchs. I attended many of his practices here and for the most part, they're all business. During long stretches between games, he has been known to put together competition based practices to break up the routine a bit and make things a little more interesting and fun for the players...

He's a class guy that has won Championships at every Professional level he has coached at. You're amateur and previous high school comments are way off on this guy...

He let's the players know exactly where they stand with him, BUT, he won't throw them under the bus with the media even when they might deserve it. On the flip side, if a player questions his playing time or role in the press, Boudreau has been know to come back with a comment about him not being a babysitter and the player knows what he needs to do. Definately a "players coach"...

Players that have played for him in the past, have a lot of respect for him. In a recent interview, Mike Cammalleri (Kings) gave credit to Boudreau for having a strong influence on his career when Mike was asked about his success last season and his start this season...

His philosophy during games is that screaming at players between periods doesn't help. If they've screwed up they're professionals and are aware of it and already feel bad about it. Screaming at them doesn't change what has already happened and correcting the mistake is what video sessions and practices are about. If a player isn't going all out, there is no reason to scream at him. He just parks the players butt on the pine for a few shifts or so. He told me that he finds that message typically comes across much louder than he could ever scream...

For those that asked what style of game he plays, very up-tempo with a physical fore-check and high pressure on the puck. Expect short shifts and guys going at top end while there out there if they want to get back on the ice for another shift...

Enjoy folks...

Last edited by King Blazer: 11-23-2007 at 07:29 AM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote