HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hanlon Fired, replaced with Bruce from Hershey

Old
11-23-2007, 06:54 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter View Post
HAHA! I do that with my lacrosse players (except it's 20 pushups instead of skating a lap)! Works like a charm with HS kids. Wonder how well it will work with adult professionals.
Just a thought. Clark describes what Boudreau wants as constant pressure on the puck. That would be constant energy and no coasting. Its a different game plan.
Boudreau underlines that by requiring the players to skate hard all the time. That includes to the huddle in practice.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 08:34 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
This isn't Kansas Dorothy.

all I'm saying is that he must be doing something right, his amateur coaching has gotten the Bears to two straight Calder Cup finals, playoffs every year he's coached in the ahl with 3 different clubs, and a 332-190 record

Last edited by PSUhockey34: 11-23-2007 at 08:41 AM.
PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 09:16 AM
King Blazer

Here's the link to an article with some quotes from Boudreau in today's Union Leader (Manchester, NH)

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...0-ceee468a5b81

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Just from following the Bears and their run to the Calder Cup and follow up from last year...Bruce is a good coach who deserved this chance to in the NHL. I really want him to succeed at this. If it's not here...well somewhere. I just hope for his sake that its not too soon (without the NHL experience as an assistant) and its not too late to fix this team.

I believe in Bruce...the players better too...or they are next to go.
McPhee could well be the next one to go but otherwise I agree with this sentiment. He's got the potential to be a successful coach at the NHL level. If he can turn things around and get them headed in a positive direction then he deserves a longer look. His fire and commitment are already evident and sorely needed. I think he'll be aided in getting everyone to buy in due to having already coached a third of the team and having those ex-Bears already familiar and comfortable with his style.

The biggest thing I'll be looking for--beyond greater discipline and consistency--is improved chemistry and poise among the forwards and improvement on the PP. I think he can make a real impact in those areas, though results might not come immediately.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Devil Dancer

As someone who was harsh on Glenny toward the end, let me say good luck in the future, Glen! He was very good for this organization, and I wish him the best. I'm obviously ecstatic about the change, but I really hope Glen lands on his feet.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 12:13 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Bruce "I think it was great for Nick because hes playing with two big guys, so he is going to be protected pretty good and hes going to have the puck, and theyre going to go to the net. I think its a pretty good combination."

Bruce sounds like he has some old school in him. And he understands a guy coming over here as a 19 year old. You can see why you can change coaches in hockey and win the next game. Its not rocket science Glen.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 10:03 AM
malyk

The other quote from BB about NB was something along the lines of "I had no idea he had such great vision out there."

I'm too lazy to get it exactly right, but it's in the same piece.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Jasper17

Just got back from London about 2 hours ago (I should mention that Hanlon getting fired was on Sky Sports News their, who says the Caps get no attention outside DC ). But anyway, I think this move makes sense. I never liked the idea of firing Hanlon now and trying to find a perm replacement right now. But just before I left someone mentioned an interim coach and I thought that would make a lot of sense.

It will be interesting to see how Bruce does the rest of the year. As I said I just got back so I have not seen a game yet (although from what I read I don't like the line combo's).

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I likw Bruce, he's coach's more agresive, then Hanlon, the team is playing great again.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 06:15 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Just got back from London about 2 hours ago (I should mention that Hanlon getting fired was on Sky Sports News their, who says the Caps get no attention outside DC ). But anyway, I think this move makes sense. I never liked the idea of firing Hanlon now and trying to find a perm replacement right now. But just before I left someone mentioned an interim coach and I thought that would make a lot of sense.

It will be interesting to see how Bruce does the rest of the year. As I said I just got back so I have not seen a game yet (although from what I read I don't like the line combo's).
LOL to the Caps coverage in England.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the lines at first, but having watched both games, I'm impressed. The offense is spread out and the non-Ovechkin lines are generating chances. Most importantly, the team is cycling like I've never seen before and it's really impressive. They're keeping the offensive zone and it's taking a ton of pressure off the D. And Backstrom looks like a different player out there. Maybe it was just an adjustment period, or maybe with Brashear, opponents are giving him a little room, but he looks very aggressive out there. His head is up and it's always moving; he's looking for points out there.

I really hope they can all keep this up after the novelty wears off.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 07:44 PM
txpd

The team is playing well. They played well before. They just didnt get the goals they needed to get anything out of playing well.

As for cycling like you've never seen before....How long have you been a Caps watcher? Konowalchuk Halpern and Dahlen were about as good at that as I've seen and while the boys look good now, they are not at that level yet.

Old
11-25-2007, 08:25 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The team is playing well. They played well before. They just didnt get the goals they needed to get anything out of playing well.

As for cycling like you've never seen before....How long have you been a Caps watcher? Konowalchuk Halpern and Dahlen were about as good at that as I've seen and while the boys look good now, they are not at that level yet.
Against the Flyers, the Caps were cycling and making line changes without losing the zone. It happened at least twice and I've never seen the Caps do that before.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Against the Flyers, the Caps were cycling and making line changes without losing the zone. It happened at least twice and I've never seen the Caps do that before.
I saw it happen twice agaisnt Carolina Saturday night, i was really impressed with that.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

i've seen it happen on occasion with the defensive pairs, but with the forwards?

That's pretty ridiculous that you can keep the puck that much and get full forward groups out.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 10:51 PM
The Viking Fury

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112501422.html

good article by Tarik, has Clymer's opinion on Boudreau and some Clymer updates. GMGM apparently told Clymer he'd put him on reentry waivers again this season.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I'd like to hold on to Clymer. He hasn't really been healthy for a while.

He's definitely an NHL caliber depth forward and his value to the team increases if the Caps make the playoffs.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 07:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
That happened regularly during the Wilson years. Its just easy to forget. Kono's line of whatever makeup was always known for being defensive by way of holding the puck thru the entire shift of the oppositions number one.

Additionally, Kono-Halpern-Dahlen did this for seasons, not a couple of games. I am not trying in anyway to drag down the play of the guys these last couple of games, but "best ever" comments...its a little early for that.

Old
11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Foy

Quote:
In what period? In the first and third periods that's pretty impressive. I've seen us do that regularly in the second period before, and it's not nearly as great.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
That happened regularly during the Wilson years. Its just easy to forget. Kono's line of whatever makeup was always known for being defensive by way of holding the puck thru the entire shift of the oppositions number one.

Additionally, Kono-Halpern-Dahlen did this for seasons, not a couple of games. I am not trying in anyway to drag down the play of the guys these last couple of games, but "best ever" comments...its a little early for that.
I remember those days. What a great line that was. I loved watching Dahlen's open pivot skating protecting the puck then winding the shot on goal. GM letting Dahlen leave for Dallas and thinking Greer would bring the same play was a mistake IMHO. I liked Greer, and still do. Just the strengths of their game is different.

Watching these past two games I actually thought of my season tix in 418 in 99-00. It was the first time I can remember that type of possession in years. Its good to know that others saw the same things.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Dahlen is one of my favorite all time caps. He was awesome on a line with Jagr for a while, but couldn't sustain the ice time that accompanied playing on a top line.

I have never, ever seen anyone as good along the boards as Dahlen. Not Forsberg, not Jagr. Not even Crosby. It was virtually impossible to take the puck away from him.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
GM letting Dahlen leave for Dallas and thinking Greer would bring the same play was a mistake IMHO. I liked Greer, and still do. Just the strengths of their game is different.
Ulf Dahlen left the Washington Capitals because his wife was afraid to live in Washington after 9-11. Dahlen was life long friends with Calle Johansson and it was their best case scenario being able to play on the same team. If Dahlen was going to leave Calle, nothing was going to keep him from leaving.

McPhee had no shot there.

Old
11-26-2007, 12:06 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Ulf Dahlen left the Washington Capitals because his wife was afraid to live in Washington after 9-11. Dahlen was life long friends with Calle Johansson and it was their best case scenario being able to play on the same team. If Dahlen was going to leave Calle, nothing was going to keep him from leaving.

McPhee had no shot there.
Thanks for your insight. Where did this info come from?

Old
11-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Foy

Dahlen was also pretty near the end of his career when he left washington. He was hanging on by a thread at the end of his last season here, and he was a regular healthy scratch in Dallas.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Thanks for your insight. Where did this info come from?
Dahlen said it himself, in a truthfull way, not to slight the DC area. I believe it was the following season 02'-03' when accepting his fa position with the Stars.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 12:40 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Dahlen was also pretty near the end of his career when he left washington. He was hanging on by a thread at the end of his last season here, and he was a regular healthy scratch in Dallas.
1999-00 Washington Capitals NHL 75 15 23 38 8 +11
2000-01 Washington Capitals NHL 73 15 33 48 6 +11
2001-02 Washington Capitals NHL 69 23 29 52 8 -5
2002-03 Dallas Stars NHL 63 17 20 37 14 +11

Tis true that his last year in the NHL wasn't nearly as productive as his three in DC. I say that was true with all three of those guys as they had lightning in a bottle chemistry.

But he did play 90% of his DC game total.

Perhaps you're correct in letting go of an aging 'star' in lieu of a potential replacement... hmmmm where have I heard that before??