HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hanlon Fired, replaced with Bruce from Hershey

Old
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Foy

vCash: 500
I didn't realize he'd played that much.

Looking at his ESPN.com profile, it needs updating. It lists him as being 37, even though he was born 40 years ago.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 01:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Looking at his ESPN.com profile, it needs updating. It lists him as being 37, even though he was born 40 years ago.
maybe espn thought he was a woman and wanted to flatter him....

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Or they haven't updated it since the lockout . . .

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
That made me conjure up an image of Dahlen in drag.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 01:42 PM
HunterSThompson

i have some news on the coaching front, i have no real source except a friend of mine. a friend of mine lives behind dale hunters old house in bowie, md which he still owns. he told me that he saw lights on in the house for the first time in years last night. maybe he is in town intervewing for the job. maybe not. not sure why else he would come down here.

HunterSThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshlchmps05 View Post
i have some news on the coaching front, i have no real source except a friend of mine. a friend of mine lives behind dale hunters old house in bowie, md which he still owns. he told me that he saw lights on in the house for the first time in years last night. maybe he is in town intervewing for the job. maybe not. not sure why else he would come down here.
reaching a little? Hunter isn't going to pack it up halfway through the OHL season, regardless if London is struggling right now, to coach the Caps...it's a pipe dream if you believe that

Boudreau has gotten some confidence back into this club, granted it's only two games but I don't see any reason why doesn't finish out the season

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
reaching a little? Hunter isn't going to pack it up halfway through the OHL season, regardless if London is struggling right now, to coach the Caps...it's a pipe dream if you believe that

Boudreau has gotten some confidence back into this club, granted it's only two games but I don't see any reason why doesn't finish out the season
if BB is as much an XO's guy as Tarik's article portraits, then I'll be a big supporter for removing the temp tag even if BB saves GMGM's job.

Old
11-27-2007, 12:19 AM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post

oh i agree with you, i don't think dale will leave his junior team until the offseason as well, i was just letting people no what i heard

HunterSThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 08:21 AM
txpd

I would not be surprised if Dale Hunter were not in town to give his advice or to just provide some encouragement to the players. He is Dale Hunter and he is still a Cap.

He had coached the players on occasions previous. To drop in for a meeting with McPhee and Ted and to sit down with Bruce makes perfect sense. Then to spend some time with Backstrom and Steckel at practice on face offs would be what he has done before.

I think he could be the coach next season. He might be the coach this season, but Boudreau gets more games than this.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Chokingdogs

well, the caps would have to take 2 out of 3 games, or get points in 2 outta 3, for the rest of the season to have chance at the 8th spot.

3 games into bb's run, theyve done that. lets see what the next 3 game set brings. realistically, theres no real chance they make it.

however, all signals have pointed towards, no playoffs = mcphee's history, since the offseason.

therefore, makfi's tenure appears to be drawing to a close.

as much as i love hunter, he'd be no different than project B, hugs, and now BB, in terms of somebody with zero nhl coaching exp behind the bench.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshlchmps05 View Post
oh i agree with you, i don't think dale will leave his junior team until the offseason as well, i was just letting people no what i heard
ah ok, sorry if I was jerk about it

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

If I'm GMGM, I keep working the phones.

I like Bruce. But at the same time, if an established veteran coach with significant performance to his name can be had, I wouldn't hesitate to show him the door.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

ZING! But what do you expect from a traded player who was mostly scratched.

Quote:
But I was happy to hear I was coming to a veteran team and a team that is well-coached. I was ecstatic. I’m coming to a veteran club and a team that knows how to win. That makes for a lot easier transition. The guys have been great to me.
http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=344538

Old
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I don't see that as a shot really.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:28 PM
txpd

Quote:

Oh please. That is no zing. Its standard. The coach is a former coach that he also liked. Saying the Ducks are well coached is not saying that the Capitals were not well coached. Sutherby is not a word sniper either.

Old
11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
CapGoodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Oh please. That is no zing. Its standard. The coach is a former coach that he also liked. Saying the Ducks are well coached is not saying that the Capitals were not well coached. Sutherby is not a word sniper either.
Not really to do with your post - but just an aside on Sutherby; he's been playing good chunks of the past two games (including tonight) on the LW with Perry and Getzlaf.

Not a bad deal for him, healthy scratch to first line winger - though obviously he's on that line to play a role and not because anyone in their right mind would see him as a first line player.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 01:46 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Whatever... Someone asks you "How do you feel about your new job?" your UNPROVOKED replies are more about what's different than the most established characteristics of a new place. Especially when you just show up and only have first impressions.

It' very simple. Someone asks me 'how do you like living in California?' my quick response is 'the beach is great and the people are really nice.' When someone asks me next year 'how do you feel about being back in DC?' my quick response is 'I can't wait to start traveling again and I'm excited to see Caps games again.'

BTW: how's that one PP line going???? Oh no it was Semin-Koz-Clark-Mo-Pots. I know. One game. But go ahead and keep on trying. I'll be here for a while. Well, at least until the NHL adds the 'only two goalies per team' rule,

Last edited by HSHS: 11-28-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old
11-28-2007, 08:00 AM
txpd

Quote:
Whatever... Someone asks you "How do you feel about your new job?" your UNPROVOKED replies are more about what's different than the most established characteristics of a new place. Especially when you just show up and only have first impressions.

It' very simple. Someone asks me 'how do you like living in California?' my quick response is 'the beach is great and the people are really nice.' When someone asks me next year 'how do you feel about being back in DC?' my quick response is 'I can't wait to start traveling again and I'm excited to see Caps games again.'

BTW: how's that one PP line going???? Oh no it was Semin-Koz-Clark-Mo-Pots. I know. One game. But go ahead and keep on trying. I'll be here for a while. Well, at least until the NHL adds the 'only two goalies per team' rule,
Yea...exactly. Mo and Pots. Scary. I don't think he keeps that up for long.

Old
11-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Im not so sure about that...Sutherby is pretty comfortable around the mic. I would not be surprised if that was a little dig towards a guy that said he couldnt earn a sweater on a team that cant win any games

its not an outright bash, that I cant see him doing....but there could be a little more to it than you are admitting. It wasnt an accident that he said it, that much im pretty sure on

Mothra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:33 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Yea...exactly. Mo and Pots. Scary. I don't think he keeps that up for long.
Very scary.

But this season is lost and I just want him to have enough rope to try some things out. Mo is 'okay' out there. He's steady, has decent lateral movement, and all he needs to do is send LOW, HARD shots either on net or just off net for deflections/rebounds off goalie or boards. He CAN'T just sit there and fire away into shin pads.

Also I'm sorry for how I reacted. Shouldn't have come across like a donkey. I just reacted to your post that came across antognistic. Plus I was already PO'd with the wife having the remote watching DVR'd MTV Hills episode and me stuck with the laptop.

Old
11-28-2007, 10:38 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Plus I was already PO'd with the wife having the remote watching DVR'd MTV Hills episode and me stuck with the laptop.
Barf. I leave the room, and sometimes the apt, when the old lady watches The Hills.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Barf. I leave the room, and sometimes the apt, when the old lady watches The Hills.
Yeah when I hear that Natasha Bentifield (or whatever) song that's SSOOOOOOO catchy it makes me just want to get up and move fast!!!

Old
11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
Im not so sure about that...Sutherby is pretty comfortable around the mic. I would not be surprised if that was a little dig towards a guy that said he couldnt earn a sweater on a team that cant win any games

its not an outright bash, that I cant see him doing....but there could be a little more to it than you are admitting. It wasnt an accident that he said it, that much im pretty sure on
You are right. It "could be" a little dig. I just took exception to that read as the only realistic read of the statement. Sutherby is a class guy. Carlisle is a coach he knows. I don't take a positive comment in one direction has a defacto shot in the other direction. From what I can tell the players are more publically shamed over their complicity in Hanlon's firing than usual.

I can accept that it could have meant a couple of things. I leave it at that.

Old
11-28-2007, 11:13 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
Not really to do with your post - but just an aside on Sutherby; he's been playing good chunks of the past two games (including tonight) on the LW with Perry and Getzlaf.

Not a bad deal for him, healthy scratch to first line winger - though obviously he's on that line to play a role and not because anyone in their right mind would see him as a first line player.

And he's still the same ole Sutherby (love the kid's heart and tenacity) ... I watched the game last night and thought the Ducks were on the PK until I saw Sutherby finally arriving in the zone. He did have a ice hit or two. He was played off the Caps roster by Gordon and Steckel. Good on him that McPhee was able to find someone willing to take on Sutherby and Sutherby making the most of his chance.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:51 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
You are right. It "could be" a little dig. I just took exception to that read as the only realistic read of the statement. Sutherby is a class guy. Carlisle is a coach he knows. I don't take a positive comment in one direction has a defacto shot in the other direction. From what I can tell the players are more publically shamed over their complicity in Hanlon's firing than usual.

I can accept that it could have meant a couple of things. I leave it at that.
I agree. But it's the players that played that should feel a part in it. Of which Suts is not really one. Look at what BB said and why he's rotating people in. He said he wants EVERYONE to feel a part. That even though you don't want to admit it that when you're constantly scratched there's a natural tendancy to WANT your team to failure so as to show your value. That comes out specifically when its a LOSE-LOSE situation. In that 'Adam Smith does NOT need revision'. OT: I wonder how that speach by Coach Johnson went off with the Kings players when he showed them that clip from A Beautiful Mind...

You think there isn't a part of Albert Haynesworth that's laughing to the bank right now watching Tenn's D getting run on like they were Cleveland while he's out of the line-up?

I agree that it could mean everything, or it could mean nothing. My take is that it was a subconscious ZING at an organization he just left.