HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles/Canes proposal

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Kvashinator12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Isles/Canes proposal

to canes: Trent Hunter and Radek Martinek
To NYI: Sean Hill

Isles get there physical Dman, and give them a very solid 6. The canes get a defenseman at a cheaper price tag with pretty decent upside. And get another big winger who has shown(somewhat) he can play in the league, but is just not gonna find room on the Isles roster.

Fair?

Old
09-28-2003, 05:52 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I doubt Sean Hill would be as effective in the Big Apple as he would in Carolina. This is a veteran that needs the confidence and icetime to be effective and playing on a relatively weak defensive team as the Canes brings the best of him. He would be the #5 in NY, simply a spot not suited for his game (in his opinion), take his Blues days for example, he played behind Pronger and MacInnis and simply lacked the consistancy and motivation. He pretty much sucked..

You probably can get him cheaper then that as well, but I could assure you that he would be near useless playing on a deep defensive team.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:20 AM
Kvashinator12

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I doubt Sean Hill would be as effective in the Big Apple as he would in Carolina. This is a veteran that needs the confidence and icetime to be effective and playing on a relatively weak defensive team as the Canes brings the best of him. He would be the #5 in NY, simply a spot not suited for his game (in his opinion), take his Blues days for example, he played behind Pronger and MacInnis and simply lacked the consistancy and motivation. He pretty much sucked..

You probably can get him cheaper then that as well, but I could assure you that he would be near useless playing on a deep defensive team.

good point, never looked at it that way at all. Love the avatar. that is great

Old
09-28-2003, 06:58 AM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12

Isles get there physical Dman, and give them a very solid 6. The canes get a defenseman at a cheaper price tag with pretty decent upside. And get another big winger who has shown(somewhat) he can play in the league, but is just not gonna find room on the Isles roster.

Fair?
I like it but what is Hill's contract status?

Old
09-28-2003, 07:09 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
I like it but what is Hill's contract status?
I'd rather keep Radek for the long term. That's just me. I thought he was real nice the first part of his first season before the injury. I also think it takes at least a full season before any knee injury heals fully. I say, give Radek some time, let him show where he fits in our present (5/6 man) and our future (maybe a solid #4). How bout Timmander, paying a quarter of a mil this season so he only sets them back just under a mil, and Hunter?

Actually, from what I can tell, Stirling's system is one of complete defensive responsibility. One can hope that Cairns is finally able to big a big body who can crease-clear, without his slowness effecting the team as much. Thus, maybe we sit tight and don't mind.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:23 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:

While this might have been true last year, the team has made some big strides on defense this offseason and has a pretty solid core working for them right now.

Wesley
Markov
Boughner
Hill
Ward
St. Jacques
Hedican
Wallin

While there are no superstars on that blueline, it is pretty deep and better than a lot of eastern conference teams. Hill is probably our #4 or #5 defenseman right now anyways.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

I think you should ask Degroat or another Blues fan about Hill's complete inability to play competently outside of Carolina.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Kvashinator12

that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather
I think you should ask Degroat or another Blues fan about Hill's complete inability to play competently outside of Carolina.

can he really not play anywhere but carolina?

Old
09-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value

Apparently there's the itch. Very weird, I would imagine there'd be a lot of after Hill got his contract from St. Louis and then did awful, from my understanding.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:22 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
He can't even play all that well in Carolina.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov47
Yes he does, he wasn't that good last year but in 2002 he was great once he got back to the Canes, and they brought in Hedican to take pressure off of him. He can play big minutes but not as a #1 d-man

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
09-29-2003, 08:23 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov47

Hill is notorious for taking dumb retaliation penalties. He gets hacked and then turns around and slashes or trips someone, usually behind the play, and is called for it.

Old
01-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Quote:

Fair?
Still want to do that deal?

Sorry, was checking out the search engine and I used "Hunter".

Old
01-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
lol i was looking at the thread and thought wtf?? trade hunter??? then i saw the date lol

Old
01-17-2004, 04:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
me too. I was ready to say Kvashanator was shorthchanging his own team, then I saw a post from me and thought someone else was me

Old
01-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
I think people who bring back old threads like this should be slapped in the face with a trout.

These time warps can be mind numbing.

Old
01-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki
I think people who bring back old threads like this should be slapped in the face with a trout.
That would be a waste of a trout, not to mention the trout's time. :p

Two more modest trades for NYI prior to deadline, to bring in size up front and bite on the backline. Both within salary structure, but within reason for all teams concerned:

Czerkawski to St. Louis for Jamal Mayers
Mayers adds grit and speed (and no offense :p) up front. Plays wing or center. Chow provides St. Louis with short-term scoring pop. Chow, despite his offensive skills, is not essential to NYI's success the remainder of this season.

Niinimaa and #4 to Anaheim for Salei and Ward
B. Heyward on Hotstove Satellite toonight said Ducks are looking for a puck-moving dman. That's Niinimaa. Salei offer pop on the backline. Age is the same. Ward is utility man, finge player who makes salary exchange closer. (Isles end up saving about $600k.)

That's all.

Old
01-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Czerkawski to St. Louis for Jamal Mayers
Mayers adds grit and speed (and no offense :p) up front. Plays wing or center. Chow provides St. Louis with short-term scoring pop. Chow, despite his offensive skills, is not essential to NYI's success the remainder of this season.

Niinimaa and #4 to Anaheim for Salei and Ward
B. Heyward on Hotstove Satellite toonight said Ducks are looking for a puck-moving dman. That's Niinimaa. Salei offer pop on the backline. Age is the same. Ward is utility man, finge player who makes salary exchange closer. (Isles end up saving about $600k.)

That's all.
Chow for Mayers I like,but would St.Loo really do this for a soon to be UFA?

The Niinimaa deal I don't like.Ward is not needed which makes it Janne for Ruslan.If you don't like the mistakes Niinimaa makes now...Salei won't make it better...I'll stay the course with JN.He'll come around.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Man, why's Niinimaa's value that low? I'd be more then happy to cough up a first for him..

Old
01-18-2004, 03:28 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1298
Quote:
Man, why's Niinimaa's value that low? I'd be more then happy to cough up a first for him..

and the isles would pass on that 20- something first rounder in a ok draft.

I doubt Niinimaa's available.

nyi fans expected him to be smarter,steadier (like Jonsson)and he hasn't been, which is why they keep tossing his name in trade rumors,but they are ignoring that his role will increase once the Isles lose one of their older,more expensive d-men (Hamrlik or Aucoin) because of budget restraints or impending uas status.

Old
01-18-2004, 09:13 AM
herecomesdabus

Quote:

Fair?

Why would you want to include Hunter in a deal for Hill?

Hunter as been everything we ever hoped Izzy would become and it's only his rookie campaign.

Old
01-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Kvashinator12

Umm

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesdabus
Why would you want to include Hunter in a deal for Hill?

Hunter as been everything we ever hoped Izzy would become and it's only his rookie campaign.

b/c i posted this on sept 28

Old
01-18-2004, 09:18 AM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
b/c i posted this on sept 28
OK that makes sense. I'll admit myself Hunter didn't look too promising there for a little while.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
Chow for Mayers I like,but would St.Loo really do this for a soon to be UFA?

St. Louis would like to win the Cup this season, or at least they correctly believe they have a legit chance. If Chow (or any other offensive forward for that matter) could step in , get hot and provide scoring on the wing now through the end of the playoffs, Mayers could be worth the price.

The Niinimaa deal I don't like.Ward is not needed which makes it Janne for Ruslan.If you don't like the mistakes Niinimaa makes now...Salei won't make it better...I'll stay the course with JN.He'll come around.

As mentioned, Ward is included for primarily (strictly) for salary exchange sake. He adds $500k going back to NYI. Otherwise, Anaheim is adding +$1M to their payroll, which is unlikley in today's economic climate. Neither Niinimaa or Salei is Nik Lidstrom on the backline, but Salei adds an element NYI fans are always clamoring for. Plus, he played very solid under pressure last spring (playoffs). I do not consider this a big risk exchange for either team, rather an exchange of skills desired on their backline by each respective team.

Old
01-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
As mentioned, Ward is included for primarily (strictly) for salary exchange sake. He adds $500k going back to NYI. Otherwise, Anaheim is adding +$1M to their payroll, which is unlikley in today's economic climate. Neither Niinimaa or Salei is Nik Lidstrom on the backline, but Salei adds an element NYI fans are always clamoring for. Plus, he played very solid under pressure last spring (playoffs). I do not consider this a big risk exchange for either team, rather an exchange of skills desired on their backline by each respective team.
I too was impressed with the way Salei performed last spring and would like to add his prescence on the back line.However,IMO Niinimaa is still the better overall defenseman and still should be givin more time to show his true worth on LI.

I'm pretty sure Milbury would never do a Izzy+Torres deal for Salei? ...another reason why I don't like a Niinimaa,Salei swap.

Closed Thread