Notices

Matt Nickerson Is A Stud

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2004, 10:37 AM
ice_man

vCash: 500
Matt Nickerson Is A Stud

I watched Matt Nickerson play for the first time last night against Dartmouth college. Nickerson is not only huge, mean, and tough, he is a very skilled guy. He is an excellent skater both forwards and backwards, and has great hands. He controlled the power play and penalty kill, and must have plaed 30+ minutes, which is unheard of as a freshman.

Most importantly, he battled Hugh Jessimen (Rangers first round pick) all game long. Nickerson was in his face every shift and Jessimen is 6' 5". It was the most physical matchup of two very talented players that I have ever seen in college. By the way, Matt picked up 8 pim's, giving him 106 penalty minutes in only 20 college games.

Nickerson single handedly carried Clarkson to a tie against a much more talented Dartmouth team.

Has anyone else out there seen Nickerson play this year, and what are your thoughts? He looks like he's ready to play in the NHL now. Is there any chance that he makes he Stars next season?

Old
01-18-2004, 01:11 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_man
I watched Matt Nickerson play for the first time last night against Dartmouth college. Nickerson is not only huge, mean, and tough, he is a very skilled guy. He is an excellent skater both forwards and backwards, and has great hands. He controlled the power play and penalty kill, and must have plaed 30+ minutes, which is unheard of as a freshman.

Most importantly, he battled Hugh Jessimen (Rangers first round pick) all game long. Nickerson was in his face every shift and Jessimen is 6' 5". It was the most physical matchup of two very talented players that I have ever seen in college. By the way, Matt picked up 8 pim's, giving him 106 penalty minutes in only 20 college games.

Nickerson single handedly carried Clarkson to a tie against a much more talented Dartmouth team.

Has anyone else out there seen Nickerson play this year, and what are your thoughts? He looks like he's ready to play in the NHL now. Is there any chance that he makes he Stars next season?
You lucky dog!!!! I caught the webcast of that game, because there was no TV on it. I would've given just about anything to have seen that Nickerson/Jessiman matchup. It sounded like a real doozy, particularly in the 3rd period.

BTW, I heard that the goalies, especially Clarkson's Dustin Traylen made some unbelievable saves in that game. Thoughts?

BTw, thanks for the info!

P.S. No I haven't, but I hope to later this season. If he's everything that I've read about, he's gotta be one tough customer to play against.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Awesome news, thanks to the both of you. More and more he sounds like our new version of Derian Hatcher, only with a better mobility and a seemingly better skillset. Whether he can be that important is yet to be seen, but so far, I like what I'm hearing. Great news for the Stars..

Old
01-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Better skill and more mobile than Hatcher? I just dont think so. Hatcher may be mocked on here (certainly I dont like him) but he's still PDG. He had a PPG rate in the OHL and was an absolute stud prospect at the same stage or earlier.. Regardless Nickerson is someone we over at the Coyotes forum had been discussing as a target pre-draft and he looks an excellent pick for the Stars.

Old
01-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Better skill and more mobile than Hatcher? I just dont think so. Hatcher may be mocked on here (certainly I dont like him) but he's still PDG. He had a PPG rate in the OHL and was an absolute stud prospect at the same stage or earlier.. Regardless Nickerson is someone we over at the Coyotes forum had been discussing as a target pre-draft and he looks an excellent pick for the Stars.
I know, but Hatcher's mobility is plain horrendous, it's his sound positioning that makes him so tough to get by. As far as skills go, he has a decent slapper and an ok outlet pass, offensively he's not skilled at all..

Old
01-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Yeah I see what you mean about his positioning but I still think his skills are underrated.. they are good enough to allow him to play in the NHL and that is no mean feat.

I think Hatcher is one of those d-men (even tho I dont like him) that can dominate the league and is a Norstrom candidate. I just find it strange hearing that a prospect might be better than him.. I know you didnt quite mean it that way but its just a bit over the top... a bit like saying Ben Eager is our new version of Shane Doan only with better wheels.

Old
01-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Yeah I see what you mean about his positioning but I still think his skills are underrated.. they are good enough to allow him to play in the NHL and that is no mean feat.

I think Hatcher is one of those d-men (even tho I dont like him) that can dominate the league and is a Norstrom candidate. I just find it strange hearing that a prospect might be better than him.. I know you didnt quite mean it that way but its just a bit over the top... a bit like saying Ben Eager is our new version of Shane Doan only with better wheels.
Heh.. I don't even think Nick will be a top 3 defenseman, so being as good or as valueble as arguably our greatest defenseman our franchise has ever known is definitely laughable, but I think he plays a very simular game. And so far, I'm starting to think he has a far better offensive game, but I don't think it will fully translate into the NHL, neither would his physical, stay at home game. No chance he will be as dominating..

He's a poor man version of Derian, let's put in this way

Old
01-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Starsdude

If he is better than Erskine and can get regular minutes and replace a Klemm/Matty then super

Old
01-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude

If he is better than Erskine and can get regular minutes and replace a Klemm/Matty then super
So in other words... he won't be a top 4 d-man in the NHL?

Old
01-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS
So in other words... he won't be a top 4 d-man in the NHL?

I have no idea given he is a college freshman

Old
01-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
I have no idea given he is a college freshman
Could he become a top 4 d-man? I mean, is that an unrealistic suggestion?

Old
01-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Starsdude

Obviously if he is then the Stars are in good shape with Daley, Jancevski, Erskine and Nickerson all under 24 and all NHL material. Obviously they could use another puck mover but actually Granath should be watched closely and so should Bagnall.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Ok, I finally got a chance to see Nickerson play yesterday in the game versus RPI. Some observations:

He's big (trust me, you can't miss him out there!). Although much as been stated about his physical play, he didn't make many booming hits in this game. He was pretty solid positionally for much of the game. He's a difficult player to move off the puck when he has it and to get around when the opposing player has it. He's got a rocket of a shot. He possesses a long reach and he logs a ton of ice time for Clarkson.

His weakest attributes that I observed are:

1) He needs to control his temper/emotions. He tends to let them get out of control at times.

2) He needs to stop taking so many stupid/unnessary penalties. One he took in the 3rd period was costly to Clarkson because it led to the power play where RPI got their go-ahead goal.

If he can tighten up his weaknesses he could become an excellent blueliner at the pro level in the future.

BTW, if you all want to read more about Nickerson and the game, please check out my Game Notes (2/7): RPI vs. Clarkson over on the NCAA boards.

Old
02-09-2004, 08:03 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Ok, I finally got a chance to see Nickerson play yesterday in the game versus RPI. Some observations:

He's big (trust me, you can't miss him out there!). Although much as been stated about his physical play, he didn't make many booming hits in this game. He was pretty solid positionally for much of the game. He's a difficult player to move off the puck when he has it and to get around when the opposing player has it. He's got a rocket of a shot. He possesses a long reach and he logs a ton of ice time for Clarkson.

His weakest attributes that I observed are:

1) He needs to control his temper/emotions. He tends to let them get out of control at times.

2) He needs to stop taking so many stupid/unnessary penalties. One he took in the 3rd period was costly to Clarkson because it led to the power play where RPI got their go-ahead goal.

If he can tighten up his weaknesses he could become an excellent blueliner at the pro level in the future.

BTW, if you all want to read more about Nickerson and the game, please check out my Game Notes (2/7): RPI vs. Clarkson over on the NCAA boards.
i was at the freak out too
heck of a heck of a game
nickerson looked a lot better the night before at union
didn't really do much versus my rpi boys

has a heavy shot too

Closed Thread