HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ovechkin offer sheet?

Old
11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
otto1219

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I ran a possible lineup:

Cherepenov - Gomez A Ovechkin
Dawes - Drury - Jagr
Avery - Dubinsky - Anisimov
Byers/Moore - Betts - Callahan

Orr

Callups/outsiders Byers/Moore, Korpedo, Bourret, Owens...

Trade Hossa + Prucha + Hollweg for a solid 2 million doallar defender (hello are there any??)

D Trade (for Prucha + Hossa + Hollweg) - Staal
Tyutin - Girardi
New Defensive UFA Baranka/Sauer
Strudwick

Not resigned - Rozie??, Mara, Malik (could eventually be used this year as trade chips at deadline with Montoya for a young D not taking too much capspace short term - but I doubt this is remotely possible, just wishful thinking)
Sign a 1.000.000 UFA defender

Callups/outsiders Liffiton, Sauer/Baranka, Sangs

Lundy
Backup

The youth movement will - as we well know - be a very important part of the teams future...especially if you look at the explicit cap limitations by Drurys and Gomez:s Mega-contracts.

A lineup like this would mean the following cap situation next year:

Player Name Cap 2008/2009
AO 9.000
Gomez 7.357
Drury 7.500
Lundquist 6.600
Jagr 4940
Avery 3.100
Tyutin 2.500
New traded D 2.000
Girardi 2.000
new UFA Defensive D~ 1.000
Cherepenov 950
Anisimov 850
Dawes 800
Staal 827
Moore/Byers 725
Dubinsky 668
Betts 633
Callahan 615
rookie D~ 600
Backup G600
Orr 575
Strudwick/vet 500

Total 54,340

Bonuses left to pay from 2007600 ??

TOTAL54.940

Cap 2008 ?? 54.500

$53.821-$55.33 million is the predicted salary cap 2008-09

I guess it would mean either not resigning Avery or Jagr (or maybe both). At Rozies expense perhaps. If neither are resigned I suppose Rozie could be...
Either way this looks very difficult to manage capwise. If not impossible.
And not too attractive Either.
Please do not take my hypothesis about salary levels all too seriously as I just wanted to point out that this is not with 99% certainty - going to work without a very depleted defensive force and real cap problems a little bit further down the line in the following years if this young defense blossoms out and works (no more nr 1 puicks coming either...)
But it would be an interesting scenario if some kids (Baranka, Sauer/Sangs) stepped up on D
But Sorry - this will NOT HAPPEN
sounds nice, but the cap is not guaranteed to go up.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Although Ovechkin-Gomez-Cherepanov sounds awesome, I can't imagine not putting Ovechkin with Jagr. Ovechkin will make Jagr a better player (not the other way around).

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

neeeeeever gonna happen. too much salary given to 2 guys undeserving of that much cash in drury and gomez.

plus, as much as i love AO, i dont give up 5 first rounders for him.

ask yourself, do you give Montoya, Staal, Sanguinetti, Bourret, and Korpikoski for him?

I dunno, thats a helluva lot to ask for any 1 player.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
sounds nice, but the cap is not guaranteed to go up.
According to Larry Brooks,the cap is expected to increase by 7%-10% for next season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:32 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
According to Larry Brooks,the cap is expected to increase by 7%-10% for next season.
I saw that as well but, that just seems too high. That's almost $5mil extra next year. If that's the case I go after Hossa (the good one)

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
ThirdEye

Pass. One of my favorites, but it just ain't happening.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I saw that as well but, that just seems too high. That's almost $5mil extra next year. If that's the case I go after Hossa (the good one)
Another $7.5-$8 million forward?

Old
11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Another $7.5-$8 million forward?
And Ovechkin will cost less? For him your looking at at probably 10mil and what 3 or 5 1st rd (can't remember right now) picks.

Hossa would just be $7.5-$8 mil and no picks, so we can continue to grow more players.

Old
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
And Ovechkin will cost less? For him your looking at at probably 10mil and what 3 or 5 1st rd (can't remember right now) picks.

Hossa would just be $7.5-$8 mil and no picks, so we can continue to grow more players.
Ovechkin isn't realistic

Old
11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
mti79

Quote:
AO has no agent.He fired Don Meehan.His mother is representing him now or that is what was reported.He has no certified NHLPA agent
Is he looking for one? I'm sure even I could negotiate that deal. $10 Mil. Max Contract. Now where's my commission?

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
neeeeeever gonna happen. too much salary given to 2 guys undeserving of that much cash in drury and gomez.

ask yourself, do you give Montoya, Staal, Sanguinetti, Bourret, and Korpikoski for him?

Not sure, another way to gauge it is what Washington would think of that offer. They would probably laugh and hang up. One thing I do know, I would gladly give up Malhotra, Brendl, Lundmark, Blackburn and Jessiman for him.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
ask yourself, do you give Jessiman, Blackburn, Brendl, Lundmark, and Malhotra for him?
Yes.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
HoosierDaddy

Signing both Drury and Gomez was an extravance. Had they been signed to shorter deasl maybe less brain-dead. We were free and clear with regard to the Cap and we screwed the pootch. That said, why do we always want everybody else's superstars? Why not develop our own, or follow our current success by emphasizing Goaltending and Dfense? That said, we could always tank like a certain team named after a flightless bird in our conference. Love OV - but this does not have a snowballs chance .....

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Signing both Drury and Gomez was an extravance. Had they been signed to shorter deasl maybe less brain-dead. We were free and clear with regard to the Cap and we screwed the pootch. That said, why do we always want everybody else's superstars? Why not develop our own, or follow our current success by emphasizing Goaltending and Dfense? That said, we could always tank like a certain team named after a flightless bird in our conference. Love OV - but this does not have a snowballs chance .....
Cause that's what we do best. Sign people. If we could actually develop superstars we wouldn't need to sign anybody. Unfortunately we haven't been able to do that as of lately. We love our Lundmarks, Brendels, Jessimans, Malholtra.

Old
11-26-2007, 03:36 PM
otto1219

Quote:
enough said....

brooks isnt a credible source

Old
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

switch staal with cheraponov and i would do that trade in a heartbeat....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 08:09 PM
HellOnIce

It wouldn't surprise me if someone offered mr. Lundqvist the max contract for like 7 or 8 years...that 7M maybe rise to 9 or 10.

HellOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 08:20 PM
dank

i think as it has been said earlier RE: Lundqvist offer sheet poaching, he got a 1-year deal through arbitration just so he wouldn't be poached last year and the earliest both parties (NYR and Lundqvist) can talk is Jan 1st. i think both sides will iron out a deal after then, well before they'll let him reach RFA status.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Sam & Joe had some interesting innuendo's last night regarding Ovechkin possibly playing here.

Perhaps just innocent banter, but they said similiar things about Gomez last season too

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 06:25 AM
GarretJoseph*

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Jagr had to reach a certain number of points for his contract for next year to kick in.. like 92 or something..

not looking like hes gonna hit that... free's up around 4 million. malik, mara, shanny, straka... you got your cap space right there....

would have to hold onto Dawes and Prucha this season so they could replace Shanny/Straka/Jagr...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 07:44 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
The Caps would be foolish to not match any offer that is tabled. Unless Ovechkin sleeps with the Coach or GM....He'll be in Washington.

Which is a shame because he is my fave player. Hopefully Cherepanov will be his equal
Sather will bet on Cherepenov being 3/4 of the player Ovechkin is rather than pay the price to steal him from the Caps.

The real question to me is, Does Ovechkin want to stay in Washington?

01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
n_a_c

Washington will definitely match any offer he signs. I'm 100% convinced.

However, when they do match - what happens to his status after the contract is finished? Does he immediately become an UFA? I thought I recall that being the case. If so, what about this scenario:
- He signs a one year offer sheet.
- Washington matches.
- Inevitably, Washington trades him at the deadline.
- Next year, he is an UFA and can sign where he wants.

Is that accurate? Or is he still restricted by his age / number of years in the NHL and will still be a RFA?

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:07 AM
pld459666

The way it used to work, not sure if this has remains in effect with the new CBA is that if a player signed an Offer Sheet, upon the expiration of the 7 days window the rights holding team has to either match or decline, the player is not tradable for 1 calender year.

So if AO signs a 1 year offer-sheet on July 2nd, and the Caps match, they cannot trade him until July 2nd at which time, he would have already become a UFA.

AO is looking to get paid. Sid took a discount in Pitt, AO is under no obligation to do the same and considering how marketable he is, you could ride the short bus and make money off this guy. He knows it and if he's going to forego the opportunity of marketing dollars in a market like Washington, then he's going to want to make sure that he's paid like one of the most exciting players in the game today.

I would love to add him to the Rangers, but financially we can't do it. unless we sign him to a 10 year deal at 85 million.

15 million first year
15 million 2nd year
6.875 per for years 3 thru 10

Average annual salary, and cap hit, is 8.5 per but he gets 30 million in the first 2 years.

Think the Caps can match that? Maybe....maybe not.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
Washington will definitely match any offer he signs. I'm 100% convinced.

However, when they do match - what happens to his status after the contract is finished? Does he immediately become an UFA? I thought I recall that being the case. If so, what about this scenario:
- He signs a one year offer sheet.
- Washington matches.
- Inevitably, Washington trades him at the deadline.
- Next year, he is an UFA and can sign where he wants.

Is that accurate? Or is he still restricted by his age / number of years in the NHL and will still be a RFA?
Theoretically, yes, but no GM would send a 1 year offer sheet.. that's insane. It would be a multiple year deal he signs.

Assuming it's a superstar player, he'd be giving up 4 first rounders for a rental player.. and I don't care who the player is, Crosby, Ovechkin, Lundqvist, anyone.. if some stupid GM's offersheet is 1 year, you let the player walk.

So if Slats has the balls to pull such a move, it's guaranteed that Ovechkin would be a Ranger in 08-09, except you're out all of those picks with zero guarantee you could resign the player.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2008, 11:41 AM
otto1219

do people really think that girardi is going to get that big of a raise i mean up to 2 million? no one is gonna offer him an offer sheet, and i mean his stats are pretty decent but i dont see him making 2, maybe 1.5.