HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Alexander Nikulin's Blog Part II

Old
09-26-2008, 02:02 PM
petelevi

vCash: 500
I think the dead horse we're beating is pleading for mercy. If Nikulin was as lazy and disinterested as some are saying, he would be moved. If Nikulin was as motivated as some are wishing, he would be more proactive. He's still thought of as a good prospect & perhaps that's the most important thing.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Disgruntled

I don't see this kid ever making the NHL.

And he looks like Skeeet Ulrich.

Disgruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glovely View Post
If only Nukes put forth as much effort on the ice as you do at trolling...

Pwnage

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 09:57 AM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
A bit concerned there's been no new blog entry from Alex since he's been cut. Anyone have any news on him at Bingo's camp?

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 04:53 PM
HS

Today's entry.

He leaves Ottawa - asked fo trade. Says that GM is not against and tries to make deal. Nikulin mentions that he could be already traded on friday. If no deal - will go to Russia after two weaks.
Also he says that he is looking for chance with mediocre NHl team and willnot spend much time with another AHL club.

HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS View Post
Today's entry.

He leaves Ottawa - asked fo trade. Says that GM is not against and tries to make deal. Nikulin mentions that he could be already traded on friday. If no deal - will go to Russia after two weaks.
Also he says that he is looking for chance with mediocre NHl team and willnot spend much time with another AHL club.
Google translate also gave a line where it says something like he was told through his agent that they do not see him in the club plans.
Also, Nikulin names Zubov - but I'm not certain if he was including Zubov in these plans, or just comparing himself against Zubov?

I'm sure thirtyfive is on this now though.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:01 PM
moz
Gute Post

Well it was fun while it lasted.

10-01-2008, 05:14 PM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Yes I am, but it'll have to wait till later tonight. Sorry for the wait, guys.

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Hopefully he makes it to the NHL with a mediocre team . Good luck Nukes

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Heatley View Post
Hopefully he makes it to the NHL with a mediocre team . Good luck Nukes
That's a pretty terrible attitude to have...

But who am I to judge, I play in a beer league.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
HS

Quote:
Google translate also gave a line where it says something like he was told through his agent that they do not see him in the club plans.
Also, Nikulin names Zubov - but I'm not certain if he was including Zubov in these plans, or just comparing himself against Zubov?

Nikulin's agent was told that coach doesn't see Alexander in his team.

Zubov is simply a comparison in a way, that Ilya participated in pre-season game, but in insighnificant role. Nikulin has nothing about his Zubov's future plans. But here in Russia there are rumours that both of them may soon join CSKA. I think that both of them may be packaged in one deal. Though this is only my logical assumption.

HS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Nikulin's agent was told that coach doesn't see Alexander in his team.

Zubov is simply a comparison in a way, that Ilya participated in pre-season game, but in insighnificant role. Nikulin has nothing about his Zubov's future plans. But here in Russia there are rumours that both of them may soon join CSKA. I think that both of them may be packaged in one deal. Though this is only my logical assumption.
Zubov has openly stated he has no issue going to the AHL, and all Sens management has mentioned is that he's in their plans and they want to call him up and get him some games this year. I would hope he isn't dealt.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Zubov has openly stated he has no issue going to the AHL, and all Sens management has mentioned is that he's in their plans and they want to call him up and get him some games this year. I would hope he isn't dealt.
Plus in his one pre-season game, he actually got moved up within the game which is a good sign (started playing beside Kelly, as well as some special teams work). I really like Zubov's game and hope we see him here in the next couple years.

Old
10-01-2008, 05:34 PM
The King of Town

Quote:
Thanks for your translations, they're very helpful.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Sorry to hear it, but not entirely surprised. The signing of Winchester to a one-way deal this summer put Nikulin up against it to make the roster. It's a strange transition by the organisation to be so high on him just last season to giving up on him now. Hopefully another NHL team will give him a chance. This does clear up the picture in Bingo, if nothing else.

Old
10-01-2008, 06:12 PM
BigEyedPhish

If we are going to trade Nikulin we should do it NOW... We don't want to wait for him to bolt for Russia..

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Huston

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelevi View Post
The signing of Winchester to a one-way deal this summer put Nikulin up against it to make the roster.
Pish posh, even if Winchester had a two way deal, he had a better chance than Nikulin. Again, Nikulin does not fit with this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelevi View Post
It's a strange transition by the organisation to be so high on him just last season to giving up on him now.
They did? I thought it was Zubov.

Huston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
MuffinMan*

When you have a chance, can you translate this and post it in the comments section of his blog?

"Oh Boo-hoo Cindy-Loo, see you never!"
Also, ask him what his girlfriend's phone # is.

So......anyways, when does Zubov start blogging?

MuffinMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Huston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
If we are going to trade Nikulin we should do it NOW... We don't want to wait for him to bolt for Russia..
Yeah, he and Shubert may be packaged for someone... and maybe to up the bid by adding Vermette for a puck moving defensman?

Old
10-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Hossa

I won't draw a full conclusion or make complete judgments until seeing something more official and/or complete, but if this is the case it's a wasted asset and that's something that always bothers me. But Nikulin's blog has always given us the chance for a closer, less filtered look at how the Ottawa Senators handle prospect development, and if this is the final chapter, I might as well go ahead and offer my thoughts.

I know some people treat Nikulin with skepticism, believing his blog was what created the hype surrounding him, but I can say for myself he was a prospect I liked and was high on before he decided to come over (and thus before the blog). I felt (and still do) that he has the talent to not only be a top six forward but be a responsible defensive player with the intelligence to improve his game as he gets older. He's not a flash and dash player like some expect out of high flying Russian wingers, but rather a crafty technical center with maybe the best vision and playmaking ability of any of our forward prospects.

Now I think there could be room for him on an NHL roster of the same quality as ours, but he doesn't really fit Murray's make-over for the team. Murray has quite clearly opted completely (not just usually) for size and grit over creativity and skill on the third and fourth lines, and that's fine, we'll see how that turns out. But if he and his boys wanted Nikulin to do certain things over the summer or in camp to better his chances of making the team or improve his development they should have communicated that to him and it seems as though they haven't. It's wonderful that we have our 5 big contract forwards (plus Kelly) up front, but after that it's full of unproven players or grinders. The only homegrown talents to have an impact beyond being a role player on our team in recent years have been traded (and that's just Meszaros and maybe Eaves), and our forward prospect core is very unimpressive. That's neither entirely Murray's fault, nor necessarily anybody's at all - teams are drafting better now than ever and we have not had a lottery pick (Lee aside) since Hossa. But that just makes developing and fostering the limited young talent that we have, particularly at forward, even more important.

I for one think the development of a player like Nikulin was important enough to put a little more effort in to. Not giving him a pre-season game, when career minor leaguers like Carkner and Mauldin get a few, directly signaled 'you're not in our plans and we're not giving you a chance to be' to a young player. I used to have a lot of confidence in this organization's ability and commitment to developing young players, but right now I don't at all unless you fit the Bryan Murray mold. In that case of course you get a 1-way deal after four years at a mediocre college program and one game in the NHL (and I like Winchester a lot!).

Bryan Murray and company can build the team however they want and I will cheer for it regardless and compliment him if his product is successful. But I don't like his tough love, old school philosophy to player development. There's a worthwhile theory behind it but I wouldn't prioritize that over skill development and asset management, particularly considering the way the NHL is going post-lockout.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Ikea Senators

Unfortunate but not surprising. He always seemed like more talk than walk. He does have talent but he definately isn't ready to crack our roster and he's talked about his dislike for the AHL schedule. With Winchester, Bass, Foligno, on the roster upfront and other prospects like Zubov, Regin, Smith, heck even Hennessy it's clear he would be gone. Just as clear as the fact Schubert won't be here much longer either.
Schubert & Nikulin, what can that get us? They've been talking in Binghamton how they need a puck mover so Nikulin might be part of an AHL trade. Well good luck to him.

Ikea Senators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
DaveMatthew

But I thought everyone said he wasn't the "typical Russian"?

I would've had no problem with him staying home and having a career there, or with him leaving after his contract is up, after all, it's his life, but once you make the choice to come over here and sign a deal, you should be prepared to work hard for the duration.

I guess he thought he should just have been handed a roster spot and not have had to work on his game in the AHL like all the other young players... Oh well.

And to be honest, I can't see him getting too much of a shot with another team. No one's just going to give him a spot after one decent AHL season, especially if you look at the centermen other teams have:

Anaheim: Getzlaf, Morrison, Pahlsson, Marchant
Atlanta: White, Williams, Little, Christenson, Slater, Perrin
Boston: Savard, Bergeron, Krejci, Kessel, Yelle
Buffalo: Roy, Connolly, Gaustad, Mair, Ryan
Carolina: Staal, Brind'Amour, Cullen, Ruutu, Larose
Calgary: Langkow, Lombardi, Conroy, Primeau, Prust, Smith
Chicago: Toews, Sharp, Kontiola, Burish, Adams
Columbus: Umberger, Peca, Malhotra, Brassard, Novotny
Colorado: Sakic, Stastny, Arnason, Lapperiere, Hensick
Dallas: Richards, Ribeiro, Modano, Avery, Lundqvist
Detroit: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Draper, Helm, Kopecky
Edmonton: Horcoff, Gagner, Brodziak, Brule, Pouliot, Schremp
Florida: Matthias, Weiss, Campbell, Frolik, ,McLean, Kreps
LA: Kopitar, Stoll, Handzus, Armstrong, Boyle, Richardson
Minnesota: Koivu, Bouchard, Sheppard, Belanger, Locke
Montreal: Plekanec, Koivu, Lang, Lapierre, Chipchura
Nashville: Arnott, Legwand, Bonk, Fiddler, Nichol, Smithson
NJ: Parise, Madden, Holik, Zajac, Fedorov
NYI: Comrie, Weight, Sillinger, Hilbert
NYR: Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, Betts, Rismiller, Fritsche
Philadelphia: Briere, Carter, Richards, Metropolit
Phoenix: Jokinen, Mueller, Reinprecht, Hanzal, Winnik
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot, Beech, Kennedy
San Jose: Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Roenick, Mitchell, Goc
St. Louis: Boyes, McDonald, Backes, McClement, Stastny
Tampa: Lecavalier, Stamkos, Gratton, Craig
Toronto: Grabovski, Antropov, Stajan, Steen, Moore
Vancouver: Sedin, Kesler, Johnson, Wellwood, Krog
Washington: Backstrom, Nylander, Fedorov, Kozlov, Laich

I don't see many teams where he'd step into the NHL on. Maybe Vancouver? Chances are though, he'll have to spend some time in the AHL no matter where he goes, and if he's not willing to do that, I don't see anyone being interested.

Last edited by DaveMatthew: 10-01-2008 at 06:33 PM.
DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
But I thought everyone said he wasn't the "typical Russian"?

I would've had no problem with him staying home and having a career there, or with him leaving after his contract is up, after all, it's his life, but once you make the choice to come over here and sign a deal, you should be prepared to work hard for the duration.

I guess he thought he should just have been handed a roster spot and not have had to work on his game in the AHL like all the other young players... Oh well.
Well his contract is up at the end of this season. And obviously if he can't make it here, because we are rather deep when it comes to center (I mean, how many natural centers do we already have? And there's no real good spots opening any time soon) - it's fine for him to ask for a trade.

I guess if we can't get any return for him, and he's dead set on returning to Russia - some of the red tape mentioned in the Google translation might be arranging a proper transfer for him.

We can always qualify him an offer and keep his rights until there is room (or someone else has room and wants him) - because it does seem he'd rather play in the NHL than the KHL in the long run. So we might get another Kaigorodov trade for him after the fact.

Old
10-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Huston

Guess what? I heard Kaigorodov's name on the Rags game.

Old
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
petelevi

Quote:
I guess if we can't get any return for him, and he's dead set on returning to Russia - some of the red tape mentioned in the Google translation might be arranging a proper transfer for him.
I doubt the team would have any trouble "loaning" him to the KHL if it comes to that.

As for the appetite for him in the league, who can say? Every day GM's make decisions that leave me scratching my head. I mean, didn't we just sign Luke Richardson while complaining we don't have a puck-moving defenseman? I know, he's a good guy in the room--that worked out last year, right?

Best of luck to Nikulin. I don't think we'll see a blog quite like his again.