HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 11/26/07. Buffalo Sabres at Washington Capitals. Verizon Center. 7p.m.

Old
11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
SwOOsh*

vCash: 500
2 goals for the other team, 1 guaranteed goal not for us

could be 2-1 caps

SwOOsh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Great rush by Green.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 08:32 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
We're giving two of those goals to Nylander. Eminger's been relatively okay today. Erskine's been a tragedy.
i haven't been watching that closely, but i noticed an eminger pinch on the goal that went for the 2 on 1 and eminger right by the guy who knocked in the first one.

meh... couldn't win all of them.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Not an awful night. Slow first after they seemed a bit surprised that Buffalo scored. 2nd period had jump until Nylander's bonehead play cost them the game right there.

Then Eminger gets caught playing like a forward and Erskine gets beat on the 2 on 1. There's the game.

I'm not sure, but I don't particularly like the "Eminger playing more in the offensive zone than forwards are look". but hey, maybe thats just me.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
hat8433

We could've won that game, but no, our pp wasn't up to par when we needed it to be.

I like Boudreau's style of playing the best players more, Ovechkin had over 23 minutes and Poti had 31 minutes.

Kozlov seemed to be able to stickhandle through any situation.

The second line was a real let down tonight, Semin didn't produce much, Flash neither, and Nylander gave up the second goal, and missed an empty net.

Now, when Boudreau says he has 8 NHL d-men to play, does that include Eminger?

hat8433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Not an awful night. Slow first after they seemed a bit surprised that Buffalo scored. 2nd period had jump until Nylander's bonehead play cost them the game right there.

Then Eminger gets caught playing like a forward and Erskine gets beat on the 2 on 1. There's the game.

I'm not sure, but I don't particularly like the "Eminger playing more in the offensive zone than forwards are look". but hey, maybe thats just me.
I thought Eminger was the worst player on the ice tonight myself, he was out there for all three goals against, and left Erskine hanging by himself on the last two goals after Steve blew the coverage on the first. I was all for the "Give Eminger a Chance" fan club, but he got a chance and he blew it. Let's see more Schultz please.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I still don't think it's really that fair to rag on Eminger that much yet. He's still in a situation where he doesn't feel the flow (2 games!?!?!?) and like what? 1 in the preseason? Not to mention, he's stuck with John Erskine for parts of the game?

I think he played poorly tonight, but I'm not 100% certain you can label all of the blame on his shoulders at this point. He's still in a situation where he's trying to find out what the coach wants for him to get in the lineup and then stay.

Do I really expect him to get better? probably not. But if he played more than 2 or 3 games this season, I might have a better idea.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
caps8

Even though the Washington Capitals lost the game, it was nice to see Ovechkin finally pull off a sick goal like that! What a move he pulled! And did anybody see his rush at the end of the game? I swear, that was the fastest I have ever seen anyone who skate.

caps8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 09:54 PM
LadyIce

Tonight probably wasn't the right night to experiment with Eminger who hasn't played in what seems like eons.

He was definitely rusty and it showed against a fast team like Buffalo.

As for the obnoxious Slug fans...the row-full behind me ran their mouths the entire night. Their favorite thing to yell was cheaters and singing Kolzig's name.

I asked them how they liked the Stanley Cup they won last year and then said oh that's right, you didn't win it did you!

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
third man in

Uh. Don't you remember they were the NY state champions

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 10:27 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
I know, they should be so very proud!

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I still don't think it's really that fair to rag on Eminger that much yet. He's still in a situation where he doesn't feel the flow (2 games!?!?!?) and like what? 1 in the preseason? Not to mention, he's stuck with John Erskine for parts of the game?

I think he played poorly tonight, but I'm not 100% certain you can label all of the blame on his shoulders at this point. He's still in a situation where he's trying to find out what the coach wants for him to get in the lineup and then stay.

Do I really expect him to get better? probably not. But if he played more than 2 or 3 games this season, I might have a better idea.
The dress 6 defense for most games. They have 8 right now. Many have said "give Eminger a game or two to see what he can do". You say don't judge him on a couple of games.

Caps lose 3-1. Eminger is directly involved in 2 goals against. It only takes one mistake to lose these games. How many games do you want to throw away to see if he is up to it? It could be that Jurcina ain't gonna make it afterall. I don't think Eminger is either. Alzner may be in the plans sooner than we thought.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 12:27 AM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat8433 View Post
We could've won that game, but no, our pp wasn't up to par when we needed it to be.
buffalo played our pp perfect.

they brought the far winger down to cover OV, they left the near side forward and d to force nylander, backstrom and poti. the back side d cheated up slightly to cut off the pass to green. it seemed like nylander and backstrom couldn't find any daylight to get any passes through except for the one close call to green

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 01:13 AM
The Viking Fury

just finished watching the game.

We'll see how the caps come out after having some real bruce practices by the next game. He's got plenty to work on

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 03:38 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Bah....win streak aborted.

That Kolzig save on Hecht was sick. What a goal by Ovy.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Fleischmann had a shocking night; his second period was awful. The poor guy just couldn't take a trick.

Kolzig's save on Hecht was unreal!

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The dress 6 defense for most games. They have 8 right now. Many have said "give Eminger a game or two to see what he can do". You say don't judge him on a couple of games.

Caps lose 3-1. Eminger is directly involved in 2 goals against. It only takes one mistake to lose these games. How many games do you want to throw away to see if he is up to it? It could be that Jurcina ain't gonna make it afterall. I don't think Eminger is either. Alzner may be in the plans sooner than we thought.

The 1st goal Kozlov and Ovechkin were just standing at the top of the crease, just standing there, Erskine and Eminger were at least trying to do something.

Nylander was a result of 2 goals. He's a -13.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
My God Semin was downright awful. Not only does he have no chemistry with Nylander--they have bad chemistry, creating mixups and turnovers. I hope AS is just rusty, because he looked lazy and completely unable to handle the puck. Kolzov was pretty good. He is one of the better stickhandlers I've seen, but can't seem to create many chances with his talents.

Green, Poti and Morrisonn were solid. Green is really our only defenseman that can rush the puck effectively.

Anyone else think the ice looked really, really bad?

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
I saw one of those shirts! It was hilarious!

Old
11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Bah....win streak aborted.

That Kolzig save on Hecht was sick. What a goal by Ovy.
Sort of a shame for Ov and Kolzig to have season best highlight plays in a game that they lost. I thought it was Kolzig's best game in a while. He made the one unbelievable save, but also had other times with guys on his doorstep alone and wacking at the puck and holding the fort.

I don't think we are going to see Johnson in a while.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 08:35 AM
obe4knh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
My God Semin was downright awful. Not only does he have no chemistry with Nylander--they have bad chemistry, creating mixups and turnovers. I hope AS is just rusty, because he looked lazy and completely unable to handle the puck. Kolzov was pretty good. He is one of the better stickhandlers I've seen, but can't seem to create many chances with his talents.

Green, Poti and Morrisonn were solid. Green is really our only defenseman that can rush the puck effectively.

Anyone else think the ice looked really, really bad?
Agreed on Semin/Nylander, Green, and the ice. I've been saying for years that Green is the best (only?) defenseman that the Caps have. Poti seems to be improving as a Capital (31 minutes? unreal!), as does Kozlov, but I would not call Koz a great stickhandler. He made one or two nice moves last night, but all season he has been sluggish and predictable, looking like he wishes he could be named Alex. He is NOT a top line center!

Even though Nylander looked *terrible* last night, I still think he's better for the top line than Kozlov. It might even make sense, before the year is done, to quit postponing the inevitable and promote #19 to the top line.

Pothier played 22 minutes, which was enough for second most among defensemen, and is still about 21.9 minutes too long.

obe4knh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Biscuit Bullet

It seems that Nylander doesn't really have chemistry with any wingers on the team. Considering this, it's pretty impressive how he's managed to produce almost a PPG.

He really needs to work on his defensive game, however. I feel like he's on the ice for every GA.

Old
11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by obe4knh View Post
Agreed on Semin/Nylander, Green, and the ice. I've been saying for years that Green is the best (only?) defenseman that the Caps have. Poti seems to be improving as a Capital (31 minutes? unreal!), as does Kozlov, but I would not call Koz a great stickhandler. He made one or two nice moves last night, but all season he has been sluggish and predictable, looking like he wishes he could be named Alex. He is NOT a top line center!

Even though Nylander looked *terrible* last night, I still think he's better for the top line than Kozlov. It might even make sense, before the year is done, to quit postponing the inevitable and promote #19 to the top line.

Pothier played 22 minutes, which was enough for second most among defensemen, and is still about 21.9 minutes too long.
Pothier played 22 minutes and wasn't out there for a single goal against. I don't see how you can harp on him. Eminger and Erskine were out there for all 3 goals against. Try hatin' on someone that played poorly.

Old
11-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Biscuit Bullet

I hate to say it, but now I know why Schultz has been playing. Sadly, although he should be playing in Hershey, he is the 6th best dman in the system.

We can't have Erskine out there anymore. Nor can we afford to give Eminger time to shake the rust off.

Schultz is probably here to stay.

Old
11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
I hate to say it, but now I know why Schultz has been playing. Sadly, although he should be playing in Hershey, he is the 6th best dman in the system.

We can't have Erskine out there anymore. Nor can we afford to give Eminger time to shake the rust off.

Schultz is probably here to stay.
Yup. If we accomplished anything last night, it's that we learned it gets much worse than Jeff Schultz.