HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 11/26/07. Buffalo Sabres at Washington Capitals. Verizon Center. 7p.m.

Old
11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Depth chart:

Poti-Mo-Green-Pothier-Jurcina-Schultz

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:01 AM
andorj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post
I asked them how they liked the Stanley Cup they won last year and then said oh that's right, you didn't win it did you!

They were probably too dumb-founded staring up at the rows and rows of Caps SC banners. Or maybe it was just the electric atmosphere inside the standing room only Verizon Center.

andorj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
The Viking Fury

0 cups is still 0 cups, no matter how close you manage to come on however many occasions

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Yup. If we accomplished anything last night, it's that we learned it gets much worse than Jeff Schultz.
ugh it's that bad? I haven't gotten to see many caps games this year

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'm really having a hard time understanding why people are harping on the defense from last night. The only reason that game was lost was cause of the lack of chemistry in that second line.

IMHO people bashing Nyls for the mistakes are wrong as well. Both of them were on Flash as first he ran Nyls as he circled back and was about to get out of trouble. Turnover at top of slot = goal. Can't blame D.

Third goal was turnover at top of blue line. Nyls makes a nice drop to Flash, Flash over skates, 2 on 1 other way = goal.

BB said one of his main concerns was turnovers at BOTH blue lines. Both of which led to goals I knew were coming the minute I saw the turnover.

Then you add that Flash missed an open net in the first. To me, he was the worst player on the ice. Nyl's involvement in the turnovers and his missed opportunity made him the second. Semin was just rusty and useless out there. It should come in time.

On the first goal it was not Emi's fault as well. He held the far post against his man. That's his job. Remove the cross crease pass and he did it well. The forwards took away the slot pass even though they were 'standing there'. The problem on that play was all Erskine. He followed his man behind the net stopped, then circled back in front. So he made the mental error, then compounded it by being a slow Dman.

2 turnovers + not getting bailed by your goalie + 2 X missed open nets + hot Miller + cold Semin = 3 to 1 loss....

I'll take that any day of the week. This team as composed should be able to fix their mistakes under BB and IMHO, be able to approach mid-80's points. Just too deep of a hole and too much to work on.

edit: Forgot to add Nyls should be 3rd worst player. Forgot about Brads and his penalties esp the slash. Noticed both Brads and Flash were the benched one's, not Nyls and Emi/Erskine.

Last edited by HSHS: 11-27-2007 at 12:08 PM.
HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
First goal: The slug forward had the puck and was circling around inside the blue line. Our forwards were useless, turning their backs to him and just lost watching. The slug flew into the corner and behind the net with max speed. Emmy was on the wrong side of the ice - on the left post in Erksine's spot for whatever reason, battling. Erksine was on the same side, his spot, and perhaps thought Emmy would get back to his side. Erskine flew across the crease as the slug circled and the puck bounced off him on a shot that would have gone well wide. The slug wussed out so Erskine didnt smoke him and shot a bit soon.

I thought the key to that play was the slug coming at full speed and Emmy being caught on the wrong side of the ice. As it was, it was a fluke off Erskine into the net.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
First goal: The slug forward had the puck and was circling around inside the blue line. Our forwards were useless, turning their backs to him and just lost watching. The slug flew into the corner and behind the net with max speed. Emmy was on the wrong side of the ice - on the left post in Erksine's spot for whatever reason, battling. Erksine was on the same side, his spot, and perhaps thought Emmy would get back to his side. Erskine flew across the crease as the slug circled and the puck bounced off him on a shot that would have gone well wide. The slug wussed out so Erskine didnt smoke him and shot a bit soon.

I thought the key to that play was the slug coming at full speed and Emmy being caught on the wrong side of the ice. As it was, it was a fluke off Erskine into the net.
I didn't rewind a lot to see the entire shift that led to the goal so you could be right. I know that Emi was on the left side of Kolzig. But once that position is established, Emi's not supposed to leave that side and that man alone on the post as the Slug swings out from behind the net.

Erskine followed that man down the ice through the corner. He had a decision to make as slug goes behind the net: follow behind the net or pull up in front. I don't know what the coaching staff teaches these guys. Typically its follow behind the net at max speed. Erskine started to follow, got behind the the part of the net, stopped, and came back in front too late and the goal occurs as you say.

As I said I don't know what the coaches were teaching them. If they are taught to follow behind the net, as I would expect, then Emi CAN'T leave his guy. If they are taught to come in front then Emi and Erksine need to talk and Erskine needs to direct Emi to leave his man and attack the puck carrier coming out from behind the net. Then Erskine has the man at the far post (although he would be behind him and not elimintating him).

It's hard to say who's at fault without knowing the coaching philosophy. My bet is on Erskine (who I like just not as an NHL player) for the last sequence that led to the goal. You may be right that Emi and the forwards created the mess. So the blame and the -1 is properly shared.

Thanks for your input.

Old
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
"We played as hard as [Buffalo] and as good as them," Boudreau said, "just not as smart as them."
Just finished reading the Post article. SO agree with BB's quote!

Old
11-27-2007, 01:07 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I just realized that perhaps when Erskine turned to come out front to cut off the slug that had gone around the net, he didnt anticipate having to go around emmy and his slug. The shortest route he wanted to take wasnt there like it normally is.

I agree with HSHS about Erskine maybe should have followed the guy, but maybe he saw that he had no chance to keep up and decided to meet him out front. I think the guy was blazing fast. His moves inside the blue line had our forwards spinning in cirlces just watching his stuff. We need Bruce or an overhead cam to see answer this conclusively.

We were outsmarted on the PP for sure.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:09 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
I hate to say it, but now I know why Schultz has been playing. Sadly, although he should be playing in Hershey, he is the 6th best dman in the system.

We can't have Erskine out there anymore. Nor can we afford to give Eminger time to shake the rust off.

Schultz is probably here to stay.
I think its also important to realize that Schultz while still learning provides something that none of the other 7 Caps defensemen has. His reach. Particularly in penalty killing Schultz is valuable. He knows how to use his stick and his reach. He cuts off the passing and shooting lanes. He skates well enough to chase down loose pucks and his decision making will improve with experience.

Erskine brings his physical presence and his fighting ability. Things that the other 7 guys dont really have. There will be games where he needs to play. Personally, I think Boudreau will quickly start coaching his D like Wilson did. 4 primaries with specific roles for the 5 and 6 guys.

BB has shown that he will ride his best players. Poti is going to play 30 minutes. OV 23 minutes. Kolzig will start every game til he can't anymore. I think Bruce is seeing what he has got to work with and it may have cost him a game here. The price you pay.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think its also important to realize that Schultz while still learning provides something that none of the other 7 Caps defensemen has. His reach. Particularly in penalty killing Schultz is valuable. He knows how to use his stick and his reach. He cuts off the passing and shooting lanes. He skates well enough to chase down loose pucks and his decision making will improve with experience.
I keep hearing this but not seeing as much of it as you? Where was his stick/reach on Carter the other day?

my problems with Schultz are more centered around what he does with the puck. He is a lock for putting most of his passes right on the blades of his teammates, unfortunately its the skate blade as he cant make even a short brerakout pass to save his life. To me he plays the game in "super safe mode".....if he doesnt see that open teammate screaming for a pass in his skates he basically just ices it. He has very little composure with the puck, in any zone.

I really do think he will be a pretty good player at some point, just not now. And while Eminger is no good too, Ive at least seen him play at a level above 55 before

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

Erskine brings his physical presence and his fighting ability. Things that the other 7 guys dont really have. There will be games where he needs to play. Personally, I think Boudreau will quickly start coaching his D like Wilson did. 4 primaries with specific roles for the 5 and 6 guys.

BB has shown that he will ride his best players. Poti is going to play 30 minutes. OV 23 minutes. Kolzig will start every game til he can't anymore. I think Bruce is seeing what he has got to work with and it may have cost him a game here. The price you pay.

Maybe I'm not watching closely enough, or mabye Schultz's plays are too subtle, but I've never seen him make a standout play on the pk--you know, the kinds we see from Gordon and Steckel. He may cause an opposing forward to lose possesion for a second, but because he doesn't play the body, the forward generally regains control immediately. The bottom line is, I see tons of poke checks from him, but nothing that really ends up clearing the zone or causing a change of possesion.

It would be one thing if he were an average sized defenseman that doesn't play physically, but his size makes it THAT much more frustrating. On top of his aversion to physical hockey, he regularly gets knocked on his ass.

Do you all think Schultz will every develop a physical streak?

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Do you all think Schultz will every develop a physical streak?
Sigh. I'm not one of those guys who has crushes on physical players, but Schultz. If he added a physical element to his game, he'd be an instant top 4 defenseman. If he even played contact-neutral he'd be a very solid starter. In the Philly game, the entire Flyers team would play his body and he was useless out there. He lost every battle and skated to a -2 when the ES goal differential for the game was +1.

It's not that he's not physical, it's that he's soft. And it's not just that he's soft, it's that his soft play and aversion to contact prevents him from playing his position effectively.

Maybe it's his skating; he seems to flop hard from incidental contact. Perhaps his center of gravity is too high. I really wish he would man up a little out there.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote