HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

There is NO team option on Jagr next year.

Old
11-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Bury Your Head

vCash: 500
How often do players in their prime sign 1-year contracts?

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
How often do players in their prime sign 1-year contracts?
Does it matter? Drury and Gomez were signed because Sather saw an opportunity to fill 2 gaping holes in the roster for years to come, not to placate Jagr, who's said publicly that he wasn't crazy about playing with either anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the idea was certainly to field the best team that he could this year and I don't think anyone could have predicted that some of these players would be completely incompatible.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Does it matter? Drury and Gomez were signed because Sather saw an opportunity to fill 2 gaping holes in the roster for years to come, not to placate Jagr, who's said publicly that he wasn't crazy about playing with either anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the idea was certainly to field the best team that he could this year and I don't think anyone could have predicted that some of these players would be completely incompatible.

True, nobody could have predicted the Rangers' struggles so far this year. So blaming a player or arguing over it really is pointless.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
True, nobody could have predicted the Rangers' struggles so far this year. So blaming a player or arguing over it really is pointless.
Personally, I'm not blaming anyone. I think most people here are just speculating whether or not the team could be improved by putting someone in Jagr's place who might thrive alongside Gomez or Drury rather than just hoping it magically works out before the playoffs begin.

The goal is still to win the Cup. Any GM in a position to do so needs to look at their roster and see if he's got the personnel most likely to achieve that goal or not.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:50 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Jagr will NOT be traded this season, for as long as this team is in contention.
And with so many teams making the playoffs, it will not fall out of contention for an 8th seed. Agreed. Jagr will not be traded.

Quote:
Everyone is SO quick to jump on Jagr for this team's offensive struggles this year but let's not forget, you know, the OTHER FOWARDS we have on this team that have been less than stellar.
If this was directed at me, you're mistaken. I blame Jagr for nothing.

Quote:
If you're upset about the Rangers' stuggles so far, blame the team, let's not talk about "trade Jagr" because it won't solve anything.
I won't speak for anyone else, but I don't talk about trading Jagr because of the team's struggles. I talk about trading Jagr - and have advocated trading Jagr for the last three years - because he is the asset with the most value with whom I would be willing to part. Only Lundqvist has more value at the moment, but he's (rightfully) untouchable. If the team wants to take significant steps towards addressing life without Jagr next year - the thrust of this thread - the best way to do so is to trade Jagr. He will bring the most in return and thus best help the team's future.

Quote:
Another thing: As previously pointed out, Jagr was injured during the series with the Devils and still attempted to play.
Which goes back to my point about holding older players to be sacred cows. Jagr gets injured several times a year at his age and with his mileage, and that effects what he brings to the team. The Devils series proved that.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I do think we have a realistic shot.
Fair enough.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote