HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Observations From Last Game

Old
11-27-2007, 09:02 AM
nintendowii*

vCash: 500
Observations From Last Game

Well, I watched the whole game and here are my observations:

1) We don't have the defence capable of transitioning from offense to defense. Noticed when buffalo had some pressure on, and the d finally won a puck battle by the lower boards, all they would do was slam it off the boards and down the ice, even though the forward was wide open for a chip pass in the zone, on the higher part of the boards. This leads to a lot of chasing for the forwards and squandered ovechkin oportunities.

2) Defensive combinations by boudreau were horrible. I thought hanlon was bad, but tonight was down right pathetic. You have ovechkin kozlov and clark, and you start them with Eminger and Erskine? the 2 guys that are scared to keep the puck in the zone? bad move.

3) semin/nylander where horrible together. Semin is not passing the puck to nylander who should be the guy bringing it up the ice, and when he does pass it, nylander looks shocked by it....this to me shows lack of chemistry between the two, and lack of communication. Also both do not seem to skate nearly all that hard when backchecking, like you see ovy doing. Do they not realize that ovy gets 100% more icetime, yet he skates harder backchecking then these douches? Anyways, it pisses me off to see that type of effort by supposedly our 2nd and 3rd best offensive players on the team.

4) kozlov, truelly sad, he has flashes of some amazing stickhandling skills, but no physical ability at all, and isn't fast enough to play defense as a top line center. Obviously he isn't a top line center or right winger. He plays hard, just doesn't have the speed needed in todays nhl to be a top line player.

5) Fleischman, I believe gets shocked by the passes he receives and wiffs on them because i see him open many times and doesn't get the puck when he should. His teamates don't often make the right pass to him, and when they do, he just isn't ready for it at all. He plays hard, but is too small and can't win puck battles in the nhl game as a 2nd line lw. Defensively he isn't capable of steeling pucks right now.

6) Backstrom, what can i say about this kid? he thinks the game better then anyone on the ice. When he fills out more he will be a world class top end nhl player. He needs to work on his shot. Thats the only negative on him. You could see it tonight, when he came down the slot on the left wing side, and shot it right at the goalies chest...lol But defensively, this kid is smart, makes the right passes, doesn't make many mistakes and when i see him making mistakes, its because he realizes he has to "guess" and not play conservative to make things happen. This is usually when you get burned, and you can tell a player doesn't have confidence in his teamates when he thinks he has to guess to get the puck and not rely on sound defensive decisions. Other lines should seriously see what brash and bradley do with backstrom. They keep it simple, and dominate the boards, not just because of size and physicality, but also because they aren't playing favourites on the line. They take the easiest pass available. Unlike the other lines, which seem to have a favourite they want to pass to, and when thats not open then they last ditch attempt, try to give it to the guy they should have given it to in the first place.

7) I am trying to find something good about the defense. The only one guy I can say anything good about is Green. Poti is alright, but he isn't a top 2 dman, and this is how we are using him. Green really impresses me with his heart. This kid wants to win, and wants to take it to the oposition. I see a lot of ovechkin type attitude in him. He wants to do something he wants to score...he hates being passive and always having to backpeddle and play conservative, especially when he sees no one doing anything up front offensively. He tends to get frustrated, as a youngster would, and just wants to do it himself.

8) Goaltending. Kolzig played a solid game tonight, can't fault him on any of the goals, but he sure does seem down. I seriously believe we will be trading him, as per his soon to be request, to try and win a cup. And i am sure the organization will oblige him.

9) Coaching: Bruce did alright, they had there chances, but I still see some piss poor line combinations. I was told he knows how to make in-game adjustments, and see who will click with who, but i did not see it so far in this game. Previous games he did a great job of it, but the last game I would say he didn't.
Unfortunately, our pp looks pitiful again tonight, and looked even worst then usual, because our dmen still have this brutal idea, that they can take the puck from there end of the ice, get almost to the oposition blueline, dump it in, and go get it. meanwhile the forwards are all standing still, with no pressure on the oposition d, other then the dman who dumped it in, and then all they gotta do is chip it over to the other dman for an easy clear,since the forwards have zero pressure on them.

please Bruce, MAKE THE D REALIZE, YOU GOTTA PASS THE PUCK UP ICE, NOT SKATE IT IN, IF ANYONE DOES A DUMP IN, IT SHOULD BE FOLLOWED UP WITH FORWARDS CHECKING AND CHASING THE PUCK, AND NOT THE LONE DMAN. This way when the oposition d tries to clear the puck, at least our dmen can be there to hold the puck at the point.

Is that so hard to figure out on a pp???

Seriously I wonder, how hard is it to get a tape of wings games, and show to these freaken players on washington....can they NOT copy the passing plays? is it that tough for them to COPY something from another team that does it succesfully?

anyways, thats my rant!

oh yeah, ovechkin, forgot to mention his play: I have noticed that he is trying hard, has a lot of heart, but still needs work on his skating while controlling the puck. Also needs to learn to cycle better with his teamates. Although I sometimes wonder if he feels like, he won't get the puck back, and therefore decides to try and do something harder, such as deek a guy and release his whicked wrist shot.
Again, thats a product of lack of confidence in teamates abilities.

nintendowii* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I agree, especially about Semin/Nylander, and Green.

I'll add a few things:

-Pothier isn't a bad defenseman. Deal with it.

-Jurcina needs to get back into the lineup.

-Schultz, while not an ideal option, is better than Erskine and Eminger. He's been playing because he's the 6th best dman in the system, plain and simple.

-The Ice looked unfathomably attrocious last night. I'm not using hyperbole to sound poetic. It really was the worst ice I've EVER seen an NHL team play on. The ice at cabin john after an open skating session seems like Edmonton's sheet compared to this slushy crap. Something has gotta be done about it.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
nintendowii*

Agree with you about the ice, but that ice is for both teams, so it equals everything out. For fans it sure would be better to get better ice thats for damn sure!

I don't think potthier is a "bad" dman, but i think he is a dman like ottawa used him. In and out of lineup type of dman. We use him more like a top 4 guy, which is sad really.

The thing I find is true about our dmen, is that they are more suited for the old style nhl, and are better suited for a trap system, where offensive abilities for dman is not as important.

Only guys on our team that are not suited for that are poti and green.

Old
11-27-2007, 09:46 AM
HockeyCritter

Kinda interesting the times you just "happen" to make these "observations" . . .

Biscuit ... I agree, the ice was all kinds of bad last night, some of the worst I've ever seen (which is saying something seeing as I grew up watching the Rangers at MSG).

Caps had a hard time breaking through Sabres trap (and Sabres went into trap mode with ten minutes to go in the second). They'll have to find a way to handle it.

I'm quite suprised that Bradley got the nod over Pettinger ... I would have kept the second line as it was (Flash-Nylander-Pettinger) and put Semin on that fourth line with Brash and Backstrom .... manage Semin's minutes the way Backstrom's minutes are being managed. Swapping Semin for Pettinger removes a grinding/digging quality for that line.

Did not like the pairing of Erskine and Eminger ... then again I don't like Erskine very much so that might cloud my judgement of that pair a bit.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:12 AM
CapGoodie

Quote:
semin/nylander where horrible together. Semin is not passing the puck to nylander who should be the guy bringing it up the ice, and when he does pass it, nylander looks shocked by it....this to me shows lack of chemistry
2nd line was indeed horrid last night. Those three (esp Nylander) and Erskine were entirely responsible for the loss. However, Semin looked completely out of game-shape and his timing was all off. Nylander is just a difficult player to read right away, and when he's doing his fancy-dancy pond hockey stuff of constantly holding the puck for one second too long and turning it over - it becomes nearly impossible to play with that guy. Give them time, they make sense together IMO but Semin was rusty, Nylander just had a horrid night. Flash wasn't that bad last night, his two linemates looked drunk so I wouldn't put too much blame on him. He was working hard. Boudreau stuck by that line and he probably had to if he wants them to get it together in the shortest time possible.

Quote:
I am trying to find something good about the defense. The only one guy I can say anything good about is Green.
Quote:
MAKE THE D REALIZE, YOU GOTTA PASS THE PUCK UP ICE, NOT SKATE IT IN, IF ANYONE DOES A DUMP IN, IT SHOULD BE FOLLOWED UP WITH FORWARDS CHECKING AND CHASING THE PUCK, AND NOT THE LONE DMAN.
Interesting in that Green is the guy doing this, yet you love him. I'm a Green fan, and I have no problem with the a puck rusher following his dump if the other team is going to try and stand up at the blueline. That team defense at the line that the Sabres were throwing up neutralizes your passing opportunites in many respects but also means they're standing still - it opens up the play for the puck rusher to follow his puck into the zone as the guy with momentum. It worked beautifully the past two games prior to last night, seriously - it really worked well. Last night not so much, but it wasn't the bad play IMO. Quite frankly the Sabres d-men had a banner night for that group when it came to retrieving pucks and making plays in their own zone.

Still, on your original point - no coach is going to tell a puck rushing d-man not to hold onto the puck if the other team stands still at the blueline and gives him the lane all the way up the ice.

There was a little more dump n' chase going on last night that I'm sure ticked off some people but the Sabres play a good team defense at their own line. If I was behind the bench and things weren't working out taking possession across the line I'd have asked for the same thing. The Sabres d-men as individuals aren't that strong if you can get pressure on them, guys like Paetsch and Campbell are prone to screwing up so if their going to clog the line and neutral zone with good team coverage - by all means dump it in and get after their weakness. Trouble is the Sabres did respond well to it, and the Caps had some trouble getting guys moving on the same page with clean prepared dumps that create the forecheck they needed to have last night.

Quote:
Bruce did alright, they had there chances, but I still see some piss poor line combinations. I was told he knows how to make in-game adjustments, and see who will click with who, but i did not see it so far in this game
Meh. Boudreau pretty much stuck to his original line combos for the first two periods - almost exculsively stuck to them which I find refreshing. He only started juggling when it was obvious they needed a spark. The big problem for him last night was his best centremen playing like crap, and his second most skilled player (Semin) playing like it was his first game in the NHL - yet he found himself down 2 goals and wasn't likely to get back into the game without them. He stuck with those guys and hopefully the worst of the growing pains for them playing together, and of Semin's rusty return, are behind them.

I agree on Backstrom, he's looking very, very good right now.

I can't find anything to complain about among the D-men outside of Erskine and Eminger. Poti has been very good the past 3 games. Pothier has played very well too. Eminger gets a partial pass for being rusty but.....Erskine...no excuse for this guy.

Erskine is not an NHL d-man. I wish they could transplant his heart/courage into Schultz but as is Schultz his a huge upgrade over Erskine IMO. Erskine has cost the team a goal in three straight games and many prior to that as well. Enough is enough as far as I'm concerned - he's going to cost this team some important wins if he stays in the line-up.

All-in all Boudreau said it best in his post game, they played as well and as hard as the Sabres last night, but they didn't play as smart as the Sabres.

I'd add the Sabres simply played a terrific hockey game on the road, and that their D-corps who are usually very accident prone in their own zone had an A-game night retrieving pucks and making the quick plays. They looked like the 06-07 Ducks the way they just ate up dumps and spat them out and that's not the norm for that group of d-men.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post

I'd add the Sabres simply played a terrific hockey game on the road
It probably helps that their entire home crowd followed them to D.C..

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:19 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
My observations from last night:

We need to score goals in the first period to win at home. The ice is atrocious and comeback victories are going to be far and few between at the verizon greenhouse center.

They stuffed our PP rush into the zone and embarassed us. We were lucky to get one shot after 8 minutes of PP time. Copy other teams if needed. We stand around and watch one guy lug it in. Poti never shoots on the PP - doesn't he have a good shot? I assume so but he doesnt pull the trigger.

Bruce is shaking up the D pairings a lot and the new pairs look lost. Whipping Boy Erskine can only shoulder so much of the blame. He bring things more important than his skating, making guys pay for being near the goal, protects the softies on the team just by being on the ice, cleaning out for Olie (no one else does). I still contend the teams winloss% is higher with him in the lineup against any other Dmans but am too lazy to check for sure. Morrissonnn looks as lost as Pothier and Erksine and Eminger but faces no scrutiny. The D chemistry is hard to forge so we are going to lose a bit until we get it sorted out. I didnt think our young defense was really our problem under Hanlon but Bruce didnt like the rotation so we must give Bruce time now.

Kolzig, as sharp as he was last night, seemed outplayed by the guy at the other end. This seems to be recurring theme every time we lose, facing a goalie hotter than Olie.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-27-2007 at 10:26 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:40 AM
CapGoodie

Quote:
The ice is atrocious
Indeed. Ted needs to look at this problem because he's gone and paid for a roster that isn't built for winning games by playing 'ugly hockey' anymore. Not much point in guys like Semin or Nylander being paid millions of dollars if they can't handle the puck without it bouncing on them past the 5 minute mark of every period.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Roccoman

Nyls & Semin have anti-chemistry; they make each other worse playing together... dont ever put those 2 together please.

Nyls had his worst game in a long time; nothing was working for him.

Semin was lazy, slow, and disinterested.

Backstrom continues to show me he is a player; imagine that young man in 5 years.

Kozlov was a beast on the puck.

Erskine & Eminger... ugh.

Flash has been playing a ton better the last 5 games or so... but he needs to bury one, plain & simple.

- we were hemmed in our own zone for huge stretches at a time
- not sure why you dress Brashear against a small fast team
- real practice time will help BB with this club
- too bad we wasted a good game by Olie
- Verizon Center looked 80% empty

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:49 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Boudreau's shifting the lines again:

Ovechkin-Nylander-Clark (Nylander returns to the top line)
Pettinger-Kozlov-Semin (Pettinger back in the lineup)
Laich-Steckel-Gordon (Same)
Fleischmann/Brashear-Backstrom-Bradley (Flash/Brash could be out)

The 'D' parings:

Morrisonn-Green
Schultz-Pothier
Jurcina-Poti
Erskine-Eminger

For the record, I like all of these changes though the 2nd line leaves a lot to be desired defensively. If I'm remembering correctly, Petty had some success with Semin last year. The D pairings also look good to me...particularly that 4th one

TEB

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:01 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

I agree with the Semin/Nylander comments. Esp Semin, he looks like crap out there.

Ovechkin looks like he's playing the best hockey of his career. he's doing it all. Finding a fault in his game, isn't gonna happen.

I thought Backstrom played awesome. He's out there in all big game situations..he's getting better and better by the day.

Mike Green looks solid too..I love him out there on the PP with Poti.

The rest of the team sucks tho. jk

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:03 AM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
Indeed. Ted needs to look at this problem because he's gone and paid for a roster that isn't built for winning games by playing 'ugly hockey' anymore. Not much point in guys like Semin or Nylander being paid millions of dollars if they can't handle the puck without it bouncing on them past the 5 minute mark of every period.
very good point. it'd be impressive to see what semin/ovy/nylander etc could do on edmonton ice. some email ted!

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:05 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

The 'D' parings:

Morrisonn-Green
Schultz-Pothier
Jurcina-Poti
Erskine-Eminger

For the record, I like all of these changes though the 2nd line leaves a lot to be desired defensively. If I'm remembering correctly, Petty had some success with Semin last year. The D pairings also look good to me...particularly that 4th one

TEB
You may want to change your avatar. Maybe I should snag it. A big problem last night was Nylander's turnovers / soft passes whatever they were. But one thing that i just realized, someone that holds the puck as much as he does, is going to make bad passes or lose the puck more than the traditional caps forward that throws the puck into the corner as soon as it hits his twig. Sorting out Nylander will help our club immensely and I am glad to see him on the top line where he belongs. Ovey has the will and speed to cover his turnovers, unlike Semin.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
The Dude

Quote:

The 'D' parings:

Morrisonn-Green
Schultz-Pothier
Jurcina-Poti
Erskine-Eminger

TEB
That Flash/Brash/Bradley line could actually give us some decent offensive chances from the 4th line. It's been a while since we've seen that.

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Put my thoughts into the gameday thread. Wish I would have been able to watch the game a little earlier last night and make some comments. Oh well.

Agree with most of the OP points. I've been harping on the PP entry for about two years now. I don't mind the Dman rush as long as they get support. Typically they are the only ones moving while the PK holds the line. But I think this rush should be a second option, not first.

I just wish they'd attack the blue line with speed, move laterally to shift the 'Fence' of PKers, then drop pass to a forward moving the other way. It's not hard (unless your name is Flash) to work that play and it creates all kinds of space.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

The 'D' parings:

Morrisonn-Green
Schultz-Pothier
Jurcina-Poti
Erskine-Eminger

TEB
Good to see Koz off the main line. He does nothing for AO out there. Would prefer Backstrom over Nyls with AO. I think it's only a matter of time.

Also, for all the Nyls' bashing over Flash, notice who's dropped and who's 'promoted' (using that term losely of course).

BTW: Agreed on ice... WOW! Agreed about Green postings in this thread as well. WOW!

Old
11-27-2007, 11:23 AM
HunterSThompson

OT: Matt Bradley looks like timothy olyphant

on topic: the ice does suck, i think its the temperature in there, its always quite warm, i played at the verizon center and the temperature on the ice is so hot

HunterSThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:23 AM
smakawhat

agree with a lot of what has been said... Semin and Nylander were a huge bust. Backsrtrom has a lot of potential, very raw, he needs time to develop.

smakawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
HunterSThompson

nylander has been awful defensively all year, with 22 points and to still be a -13, wow

only six players are in the black

pothier +4
steckel +2
schultz +2
brash +1
AO +1
bradley even

HunterSThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
nintendowii*

HF boards > then Caps website boards! fact!

By the way, I wanted to comment on a previous gent in this thread, that quoted me saying i don't like when dmen carry puck up ice, and yet pointed out that i love green's play, who jumps up ice.

If you read what I ment with that, is for the pp. I do not like it, on the pp, to make it so obvious for the 4 opposition players, to cover us.
If you pass the puck, its harder for the opposition to contain their blue line.

This is why i hate seing a dman on the pp, dump and chase it, because the other guys are waiting for him at the offensive blueline, and are at a stand still till that dman carries it over.
This is not a good pp strategy.

What I think the caps need to do, is have more of the forwards down low, when bringing the puck up ice. The closer they are to each other, the smaller the gap between the dmen and forwards, the better it is.

If they(the forwards) start off closer to the dmen, in there own zone, then what will happen is, the other team will have to decide to support the 2 forwards that are pressuring, and thus, be more succeptable on a dump in, since they won't be as close to there end of the boards. This will in turn lead to more turn overs and better pressure.

Watch montreal, they do this EXTREMELY well, they don't have the forwards high ever when bringing up the puck, on the pp.

It really isn't that difficult to do, if you move up as a unit, and are close to each other, the opposition will not be able to stop you from entering the zone, it will be really difficult for them to stop the easy 5 foot passes to each other while entering there zone.

Old
11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
rmp

Aside from being rusty and out of shape, perhaps they shouldn't have given Semin that contract extension until the end of the year. He's probably the type that needs a carrot on a stick.

rmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
It probably helps that their entire home crowd followed them to D.C..
There weren't that many sabres fans there. less than a quarter of what was there at the games last year, and last year they weren't half the stadium. I was with my parents, and my mom said it was at most 5% Sabres fans, but I'd possibly be willing to concede 10% if someone upstairs tells me that there were lots up there.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 12:23 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Aside from being rusty and out of shape, perhaps they shouldn't have given Semin that contract extension until the end of the year. He's probably the type that needs a carrot on a stick.
I think that contract extension allowed Semin the time to shut himself down without risking further injury. I think in time the contract will look fair to good if his health is okay. If his ankle is FINALLY okay (which I'm sure most doubt), when his timing and fitness return, so will his scoring pace.

Old
11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
There weren't that many sabres fans there. less than a quarter of what was there at the games last year, and last year they weren't half the stadium. I was with my parents, and my mom said it was at most 5% Sabres fans, but I'd possibly be willing to concede 10% if someone upstairs tells me that there were lots up there.
I was wondering what the attendee's perspective was. Based on the the Vs coverage, it seemed like a lot more. They kept showing Sabre's fans (I guess you do that when the away team is winning) and it seemed like it was difficult for the "Let's Go Caps" to drown out the Sabre's chants.

Old
11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I think that contract extension allowed Semin the time to shut himself down without risking further injury. I think in time the contract will look fair to good if his health is okay. If his ankle is FINALLY okay (which I'm sure most doubt), when his timing and fitness return, so will his scoring pace.
I'm starting to think Semin will never be 100% this year. And that's OK. The Caps weren't going to win it all even with a healthy Semin. I just want him and Fehr to be healthy for the start of next year.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote