HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Ovechkin...from a Sabres fan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
  #1
IluvmySabres
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Thank you Ovechkin...from a Sabres fan.

My name is Shanna Westbrook and I'm a Buffalo Sabres fan. I live in the DC area though and am actually a Buffalo transplant. My husband is from DC and is a HUGE Caps fan. And through his affection for the Caps, he managed to turn my 7-year old daughter into a Caps fan as well. She loves Alex Ovechkin. My son, Parker, however is a Sabres fan like me. Anyway, we were in attendance at last nights Sabres-Capitals game and were lucky enough to meet Alex after the game. Well, under the circumstances, lucky isnt the correct word. Let me explain.
My daughter Lindsay was diagnosed not too long ago with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. It was ridiculously hard news to take since we never saw that particular diagnosis coming. Both of my children play youth hockey and have for years. At first it didnt slow her down much at all but now, thanks mostly to chemotherapy and other meds, she's so tired and sick all the time that she just cant play anymore. So to make up for the loss of hockey in her life (and it's a shame because she was so good at it) my husband has been taking her to Capitals games, and when she's too sick to go, we all watch the games on TV and it lifts her spirits tremendously. And ours too.
Now to make a boringly long story a little shorter, I'll get right to my point. My husband's business partner has a friend in upper Caps management and he arranged for Lindsay (and us too) to meet with Alex after the game last night as a surprise to Lindsay. My husband made up this ridiculous story for her when she questioned why we were still at the arena when the game had ended, lol. She's a smart girl but she never saw this coming. But when Alex and some other guy(I'm not sure who he was, public relations maybe, but he was informing Alex about Lindsays cancer) walked in the room her little jaw dropped and she just stared at him. He came over to talk to her (he called her sweetheart) and she was just speechless. Then all of a sudden she just started bawling, a little overwhelmed maybe. And what Alex did next was totally unexpected. I moved over to go comfort her and hopefully get her to talk to him but Alex beat me to it. He sat down on a bench and set her on his lap and just held her in his arms. I couldnt believe it. At that point, I started crying as well, lol. After she calmed down, they just started having a conversation like they've been best friends for years. She told him about how she plays,or played rather, hockey and he gave her a few tips, lol. She told him about how she had a chemo treatment that morning and she wasnt feeling too well and he gave her another hug. Then he taught her how to say "I love you" in Russian. That was...interesting lol. They just talked back and forth for a while. A lot longer than I thought actually. And before he left and we went home he gave her an address and told her she could write to him anytime she wanted and he'd make sure he'd get it. I think it may have been a fan club address or something. I cant imagine it'd be his personal address. He even gave her a "special" nickname: Lulu, lol. I asked him why Lulu, and he said because he likes that name, lol. He's a funny guy. And even with his semi-broken english(it's getting much better though) it was just an unbelievable night. I just wanted everyone to know what an AMAZING guy we have here in Washington. I've never had an experience quite like that one.

Sorry for the forever long post.


Last edited by IluvmySabres: 11-27-2007 at 05:21 PM.
IluvmySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 05:10 PM
  #2
TheProspector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,348
vCash: 500
A.O. is a real man.

"I love you" in Russian is "Ya Tabya Lublu" - probably the nick name.

TheProspector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 05:14 PM
  #3
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,641
vCash: 500
Great story. Good luck to you and your family.

May your husband have many joyful June's while you're throwing up being 'sick of hockey'.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 05:15 PM
  #4
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's condition. I hope for the best for all of you.

Definitely a great thing for Alex to do. I think you'd find that most players in the NHL would do similar things. Most of them are truly great people.

Good luck!

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 05:17 PM
  #5
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Thats great that your daughter got to meet him. And best wishes to your daughter. I hope she makes a full recovery. This story makes me respect AO even more.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 05:32 PM
  #6
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,349
vCash: 500
Amazing story...thanks for sharing.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 05:54 PM
  #7
IamJebus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 5 Min from the Tank!
Country: United States
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IamJebus Send a message via Yahoo to IamJebus
Wow that is touching. I'm really glad I stumbled into the Caps forums today

I hope all is well with Lulu and the family

IamJebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 06:49 PM
  #8
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,345
vCash: 2743
Alex IS awesome and thanks for sharing that great story. He just brings such positive energy on the ice and off too it appears. And it is great to watch him play and especially after he scores, he reminds me a lot of Peter Bondra actually. He always celebrates and has fun doing it. He is quickly becoming the heart and soul of our team.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
  #9
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,320
vCash: 50
I'm sorry about your daughters condition.

It's just like the commercials, "NHL players are just like me and you, plus really good at hockey."

That's all Ovechkin is, a normal guy who's good at hockey.

__________________
#hfbro4life
Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
  #10
RADU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
AO is the man.
i want to be held in his arms

RADU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:26 PM
  #11
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,645
vCash: 500
Great story, thanks for sharing. Also, sorry to hear about your daughter's condition, I hope there is a light at the end of that tunnel for your family.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:42 PM
  #12
Burgh32
Registered User
 
Burgh32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: S.J
Posts: 1,873
vCash: 500
Wow, all the best and lots of prayers for your kid.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:45 PM
  #13
Captain Marleau
Registered User
 
Captain Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
That's a really nice story, thanks for sharing. Hopefully your daughter will get better. Take care.

Captain Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:02 PM
  #14
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 500
Wow. I just got a whole lot more respect for Ovechkin.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:08 PM
  #15
Skk82
Registered User
 
Skk82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,136
vCash: 500
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, all the best to her to fight through this difficult time.

At the age of 10 my best friend had a similiar diagnosis and received many signed pucks and sticks from guys like Jaromir Jagr (we were transported Penguins fans living 300 miles away) and a signed letter with a heartfelt message from cancer survivor Mario Lemieux.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Ovechkin would be so awesome; he truly is an amazing person with just a zest for hockey and life. Kudos to him for making a moment that your family will never, ever forget; just as I haven't forgotten my own.

Plus this all happened after a difficult loss, but given your recap that never entered Alex's mind. Just another reason to show how excellent his display was. Good for him.

Best wishes again for your daughter. Keeping a positive attitude and having enthusiasm to beat cancer is the best thing you can have and it certainly sounds like Alex contributed to that. Good story all around.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:41 PM
  #16
Killiecrankie*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,999
vCash: 500
damn, I might have to get the ovechkin jersey (Russian Olympics though, can never wear a CAP ).


Truly awesome story.... from a pens fan.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:32 AM
  #17
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,893
vCash: 500
You have to know how hard that meeting is. I did those as a radio schmuck. Not too many because the requests for meeting a disc jockey are not as high on the list.

Micheal Jordan....or....hmmm....the DJ. Anyway. I took a teenager in a similar situation to meet Garth Brooks in Tampa(wearing a lightning jersey btw...hockey fan).

Garth had the kid eating out of his hand. She was the most important person in the world. I was amazed. On the way out...you could see the tears in his eyes. If you care, it rips your heart out.

Good for OV.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:47 AM
  #18
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,603
vCash: 500
Get well soon, Lulu.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:57 AM
  #19
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
I showed this story to a friend of mine of Russian heritage and he said that in the Russians culture it is a sign of respect to give nicknames.

My prayers are with your child and family.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 08:06 AM
  #20
Lola
Future Panthers
 
Lola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
What an amazing story. I hope Lulu beats this dreadful disease and gets back to playing hockey soon.

AO....what can you say about such an amazing player? All heart on the ice and off the ice. What a treasure he gave to your daughter.

Oh....Panthers' fan here.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 08:24 AM
  #21
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: North Korea
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
fantastic fantastic story, it's great to hear that ovechkinis that great a guy. The world can definitely use a lot more people like him

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 09:08 AM
  #22
Killer Carlson
Registered User
 
Killer Carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 12,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
fantastic fantastic story, it's great to hear that ovechkinis that great a guy. The world can definitely use a lot more people like him
Brunomics here ^^^ posted this on the Isles board and I'm pretty sure that I speak for everyone there when I say that we hope that your daughter beats that horrible disease and is soon lacing 'em up again. Our thoughts and prayers are with her.

And that is great to hear that Alex was so gracious, caring and kind to her. He's a fantastic hockey player and evidently, an even better man.

__________________
No more running. I aim to misbehave.
Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
  #23
alexovetjkin
 
alexovetjkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvmySabres View Post
My daughter Lindsay was diagnosed not too long ago with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. It was ridiculously hard news to take since we never saw that particular diagnosis coming. Both of my children play youth hockey and have for years. At first it didnt slow her down much at all but now, thanks mostly to chemotherapy and other meds, she's so tired and sick all the time that she just cant play anymore. So to make up for the loss of hockey in her life (and it's a shame because she was so good at it) my husband has been taking her to Capitals games, and when she's too sick to go, we all watch the games on TV and it lifts her spirits tremendously. And ours too.
Now to make a boringly long story a little shorter, I'll get right to my point. My husband's business partner has a friend in upper Caps management and he arranged for Lindsay (and us too) to meet with Alex after the game last night as a surprise to Lindsay. My husband made up this ridiculous story for her when she questioned why we were still at the arena when the game had ended, lol. She's a smart girl but she never saw this coming. But when Alex and some other guy(I'm not sure who he was, public relations maybe, but he was informing Alex about Lindsays cancer) walked in the room her little jaw dropped and she just stared at him. He came over to talk to her (he called her sweetheart) and she was just speechless. Then all of a sudden she just started bawling, a little overwhelmed maybe. And what Alex did next was totally unexpected. I moved over to go comfort her and hopefully get her to talk to him but Alex beat me to it. He sat down on a bench and set her on his lap and just held her in his arms. I couldnt believe it. At that point, I started crying as well, lol. After she calmed down, they just started having a conversation like they've been best friends for years. She told him about how she plays,or played rather, hockey and he gave her a few tips, lol. She told him about how she had a chemo treatment that morning and she wasnt feeling too well and he gave her another hug. Then he taught her how to say "I love you" in Russian. That was...interesting lol. They just talked back and forth for a while. A lot longer than I thought actually. And before he left and we went home he gave her an address and told her she could write to him anytime she wanted and he'd make sure he'd get it. I think it may have been a fan club address or something. I cant imagine it'd be his personal address. He even gave her a "special" nickname: Lulu, lol. I asked him why Lulu, and he said because he likes that name, lol. He's a funny guy. And even with his semi-broken english(it's getting much better though) it was just an unbelievable night. I just wanted everyone to know what an AMAZING guy we have here in Washington. I've never had an experience quite like that one.

Sorry for the forever long post.
Thanks for the post. Hope your daughter Lindsay will get well soon. I've got to post this story in my blog, if you don't mind.

BTW, according to Google Trends, based on a search with keyword "Ovechkin", in United States he is the most popular in Buffalo.

alexovetjkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
  #24
Mr.Brownov*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvmySabres View Post
My name is Shanna Westbrook and I'm a Buffalo Sabres fan. I live in the DC area though and am actually a Buffalo transplant. My husband is from DC and is a HUGE Caps fan. And through his affection for the Caps, he managed to turn my 7-year old daughter into a Caps fan as well. She loves Alex Ovechkin. My son, Parker, however is a Sabres fan like me. Anyway, we were in attendance at last nights Sabres-Capitals game and were lucky enough to meet Alex after the game. Well, under the circumstances, lucky isnt the correct word. Let me explain.
My daughter Lindsay was diagnosed not too long ago with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. It was ridiculously hard news to take since we never saw that particular diagnosis coming. Both of my children play youth hockey and have for years. At first it didnt slow her down much at all but now, thanks mostly to chemotherapy and other meds, she's so tired and sick all the time that she just cant play anymore. So to make up for the loss of hockey in her life (and it's a shame because she was so good at it) my husband has been taking her to Capitals games, and when she's too sick to go, we all watch the games on TV and it lifts her spirits tremendously. And ours too.
Now to make a boringly long story a little shorter, I'll get right to my point. My husband's business partner has a friend in upper Caps management and he arranged for Lindsay (and us too) to meet with Alex after the game last night as a surprise to Lindsay. My husband made up this ridiculous story for her when she questioned why we were still at the arena when the game had ended, lol. She's a smart girl but she never saw this coming. But when Alex and some other guy(I'm not sure who he was, public relations maybe, but he was informing Alex about Lindsays cancer) walked in the room her little jaw dropped and she just stared at him. He came over to talk to her (he called her sweetheart) and she was just speechless. Then all of a sudden she just started bawling, a little overwhelmed maybe. And what Alex did next was totally unexpected. I moved over to go comfort her and hopefully get her to talk to him but Alex beat me to it. He sat down on a bench and set her on his lap and just held her in his arms. I couldnt believe it. At that point, I started crying as well, lol. After she calmed down, they just started having a conversation like they've been best friends for years. She told him about how she plays,or played rather, hockey and he gave her a few tips, lol. She told him about how she had a chemo treatment that morning and she wasnt feeling too well and he gave her another hug. Then he taught her how to say "I love you" in Russian. That was...interesting lol. They just talked back and forth for a while. A lot longer than I thought actually. And before he left and we went home he gave her an address and told her she could write to him anytime she wanted and he'd make sure he'd get it. I think it may have been a fan club address or something. I cant imagine it'd be his personal address. He even gave her a "special" nickname: Lulu, lol. I asked him why Lulu, and he said because he likes that name, lol. He's a funny guy. And even with his semi-broken english(it's getting much better though) it was just an unbelievable night. I just wanted everyone to know what an AMAZING guy we have here in Washington. I've never had an experience quite like that one.

Sorry for the forever long post.
Wow nice heart felt story. you brought tears to my eyes here at my office. Wish you and your family well. And I love OVY!!!

Mr.Brownov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:01 AM
  #25
FrankM73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
I've known for quite some times that hockey players have really big hearts but wow... just wow... I can't imagine the feeling of being a young child with the condition she has and having someone that I look up to so much be so kind to you... just amazing! Prayers and well wishes to your family and your daughter!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.