HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

passing / positioning drills

Old
12-02-2007, 02:48 PM
blackhawkjohn

vCash: 500
passing / positioning drills

good afternnon everyone....wondering if anyone has some decent passing and / or positioning drills for squirt level.

had a game this morning and lost 6-2. my boys were out of position for two periods and it cost us....we have practice tomorrow and was hoping to work on some of our mistakes.

thanks.

blackhawkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Jake1999

Do a chock talk with them, diagram where every position is supposed to be, in the offensive, neutral and defensive zone. here is a drill my team and i practice I hope i can explain it right. you have your left wing on the far left side of the ice, your center in the center and your right wing on the far right side. puck starts with the left winger, who passes it to the right to the center and switches with the right winger, you keep passing the puck to the left and switching, when you get to the offensive zone, form a triangle where your center has the puck, and your forwards are skating towards each side of the net. this helps with passing, positioning, becoming more of a unit, knowing how to switch and where the unit is supposed to go.

Jake1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Try this one out:
http://www.jes-hockey.com/animated/dpassing2pucks.html

And on positioning...that'll have to come from just learning to play without the puck. I mean it's just like youth soccer, where the ball goes, everyone else goes. Just gotta get it into their heads that you need to trust your teammates and stake out your own ground rather than chase. I mean, beer leaguers don't even understand this sometimes.

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 07:19 PM
XweekendwarriorX

it might sound odd but what works is ropes. set them along the ice in the position you want you players to be in box out the area and show them. also keep them on the ice when you run plays such as PP and PK it will help the kids learn a sacuer pass. if that dont work you can as mentioned chock talk with them where they need to be. for passing show them where passes should be go over it a few times with them and have them run the drill maybe take atleast half the practice to show them passing and how to catch and give a pass. you would be suprised how many kids after they get out of squirts and go into hitting league cant catch passes right and get wrecked alot becuase there heads are down.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
LePalle

The X passing drill is good for the offensive zone.

You start off in the corner, with a man set up on the for faceoff dot, close faceoff dot, and two guys on the blueline even with the faceoff dots. One guy screens the goalie and goes for deflections/rebounds. Corner to far dot, far dot to close blueline, close blueline to close dot, close dot to far blueline, shot w/ deflection/rebound.

Make them skate hard right after the pass, so that they dont get into a habit of admiring passes.

Eventually they can start doing touch passes, etc.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote