HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ovechkin contract offer

Old
11-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Night_Vole

vCash: 500
ovechkin contract offer

My friend told me that he heard from russian news that ovechkin got contract offer from caps for 10 mil per season (he doesnt remember the term). Is there any truth to this or has anyone heard anything simlar?

Night_Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:24 AM
txpd

no...this would be news. caps are pretty tight lipped about this stuff. what you heard is probably a rumor because the real deal never escapes the front office ahead of time.

look at the semin signing. surprise!

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Kap-the-Head

The Russian news that a Night-Vole refers to got it's information from New York Post.
Quote:
Владелец Вашингтона Тед Леонсис может предложить лидеру команды Александру Овечкину максимально возможный контракт в 10,3 миллиона долларов. Летом следующего года Овечкин станет ограниченно свободным агентом, и лига получила бы существенно больший доход, если бы Овечкин играл в каком-нибудь другом клубе, более популярном среди болельщиков. Но россиянин может и остаться в Вашингтоне, сообщает New York Post.

Kap-the-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 01:28 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

if it were the NYPost it would be an offer from the Rangers and that the conference call was 29-1 that the GM's approved AO's move from DC to NYR------ Larry Brooks

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Night_Vole

my bad guys look like its not the case, but u know how its like when u have second hand info

Night_Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Jasper17

Can't imagine that being true. I can't see Ovechkin getting more than Crosby. Let alone 10 million per.

How many teams will have the salary cap space to offer Ovechkin 10 million per? People assume Edmonton, but can they make another offer sheet? I thought you had to have the first round picks to give, and they already gave away some of theirs when they got Penner.

I can't imagine more than 3 or 4 teams that could even offer Ovechkin an offer sheet.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Chokingdogs

since max deals are based on the current cap, wouldnt 10 mil immediately be dismissed as false due to it being too high?

i dont know the exact %, but i thought it was something along the lines of 15% to 20% of the salary cap.

??

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
If Ovechkin gets that much long term, we can forget about a cup coming to D.C.

Unless he scores 150+/season and plays selke like defense, he's not worth that much. No one is.

No way this rumor is valid.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
So, what will Ovechkin do? The Capitals have already told Ovechkin they'll give him the maximum allowed.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...89/OPINION0336

i'm not sure the validity of that article (as it's poor) but who knows. If they said they'd offer him the max, I think we'd of had a deal done by now.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
If Ovechkin gets that much long term, we can forget about a cup coming to D.C.

Unless he scores 150+/season and plays selke like defense, he's not worth that much. No one is.

No way this rumor is valid.
exactly

If Ovechkin wants 10 million per, its actually smarter for the Caps to let him go. And use that money and those picks to hit the UFA/Trade market. You can't pay a guy 10 million per and expect to compete. How are you going to build a quality defense and put talent around the guy if he wants 20% of the teams possible salary. And thats assuming the Caps spend the max.

I said right after the lockout the NHL max salary is way to high.

If Ovechkin is holding out for that much, I will be very disapointed.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
alexovetjkin

SovSport.ru also reports that Ovechkin will get an offer of 10.3 mil with reference to "Sport" radiostation

alexovetjkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't think it is impossible to win with a max contract.

Highly prohibitive, yes. Impossible no.

It just means, players like Mike Green and Jeff Schultz better get good fast. And then, in 2 years time, they better have studs coming up for cheap that can replace a lot of their other players.

I wonder if that is some of the expectation. In 2-3 years time, the younger players they've spent high draft picks on will develop and take the jobs of expensive vets.

Old
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I really hope Ovy takes a long look at Joe Thornton and Jarome Iginla. Look at the pieces those guys are surrounded by just because they took a "modest" paycut. Look at SJ and Calgary's great young players and realize that they have room to resign pretty much all of them when the time comes.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:27 AM
alexovetjkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I don't think it is impossible to win with a max contract.

Highly prohibitive, yes. Impossible no.

It just means, players like Mike Green and Jeff Schultz better get good fast. And then, in 2 years time, they better have studs coming up for cheap that can replace a lot of their other players.

I wonder if that is some of the expectation. In 2-3 years time, the younger players they've spent high draft picks on will develop and take the jobs of expensive vets.
And then the salary cap goes up all the time. If Crosby would get an offer now, it could be more than 8.3 for that reason

Old
11-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexovetjkin View Post
And then the salary cap goes up all the time. If Crosby would get an offer now, it could be more than 8.3 for that reason

i wouldnt keep banking on that.

it cannot possibly continue to increase, at that rate it has the past couple years, into the future.

barring some, as yet unforeseen lucrative TV deal, there isnt enough $$ to spread around to have a 65 mil cap in two or three years.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:57 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
i wouldnt keep banking on that.

it cannot possibly continue to increase, at that rate it has the past couple years, into the future.

barring some, as yet unforeseen lucrative TV deal, there isnt enough $$ to spread around to have a 65 mil cap in two or three years.
I agree. There are too many outside forces that are in play here. Noteably the dollar valuation.

I used to work for Morgan Stanley and I still help a lot of my friends and coworkers out financially. The dollar won't keep sliding every year. A dem probably will be in the office (could be Hillary) and these wars aren't going to go on forever. Heck they're already talking about plans for Iraq's future and our role there. The Clinton strong dollar policy will return and the budget deficiets will drop and eventually turn to surpluses. Eventually the dollar will bottom out and start appreciating in valuation. Oil, gold and other commidities such as the Canadian Dollar will stop accelerating. This will affect the NHL's revenue growth (in US dollars) adversely. In order to prevent a drop in cap and drop in revenue, the NHL will have to have great systemic growth which I don't really see above the 2% yearly attendance growth and potentially from TV including the NHL Network.

Additionally with the NHLPA asking to remove certain deflators this past year in order to expand the cap this year much greater than overall revenue increase, if these factors go away that will put pressure on the cap as well.

Old
11-28-2007, 10:58 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
exactly

If Ovechkin wants 10 million per, its actually smarter for the Caps to let him go. And use that money and those picks to hit the UFA/Trade market. You can't pay a guy 10 million per and expect to compete. How are you going to build a quality defense and put talent around the guy if he wants 20% of the teams possible salary. And thats assuming the Caps spend the max.

I said right after the lockout the NHL max salary is way to high.

If Ovechkin is holding out for that much, I will be very disapointed.
It's hard to fathom a scenario where it'd be best to let Ovechkin go. It'd amount to a letter of resignation from Ted Leonsis to his fan base.

McPhee was a fool in the first place to let teams set the market for his superstar (i.e Vanek, Crosby).

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
SPAC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Vole View Post
My friend told me that he heard from russian news that ovechkin got contract offer from caps for 10 mil per season (he doesnt remember the term). Is there any truth to this or has anyone heard anything simlar?
I saw thise Russian articles. They all based on that article in the New York newspaper that says Caps doesn'r deserve AO and they should offer him max 10.3 mil contract. For some reason, some russian journalists took it as a fact.

It's not even a rumor. End of discussion.

SPAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexovetjkin View Post
And then the salary cap goes up all the time.
The cap will get an artificial bump this year only because of the revenue generated by "new" jersey sales .... after this year I expect the cap to hold steady - maybe only small increases.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:09 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
The cap will get an artificial bump this year only because of the revenue generated by "new" jersey sales .... after this year I expect the cap to hold steady - maybe only small increases.
Agreed on the jersey thoughts. I didn't want to make my rambling too long for those who don't care about the business side.

Old
11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
alexovetjkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAC2 View Post
I saw thise Russian articles. They all based on that article in the New York newspaper that says Caps doesn'r deserve AO and they should offer him max 10.3 mil contract. For some reason, some russian journalists took it as a fact.

It's not even a rumor. End of discussion.
Yep, and some Detroit journalist from DetNews.com

Old
11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Inflation alone should keep the Cap going up a bit.

Part of the problem with the NHL is most of the Canadian teams (and other big market teams as well) make most of the profit. The US dollar is hurting. However the Canadian dollar is rising significantly from where it used to be. As long as the Canadian economy is strong, I wouldn't see a real reason the Cap would go down or not at least go up a million or two. That's just pure economics and how the system was setup.

If the Canadian dollar was as poor as it was in the past (to the point where Canadian teams needed supplements to keep afloat and afford players) then I'd suggest that it might go down or stay level. Problem is, it isn't. That hurts American owners of small teams, but that's an issue that is more pure US economics than it is NHL salary cap.

Either way, I don't feel this franchise can afford to let Ovechkin walk. 10 million or otherwise. They might be less competitive (and not have the room to win a Cup salary wise) but with him and the young talent they can afford, they should at least be able to reach the playoffs.

Old
11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
alexovetjkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Either way, I don't feel this franchise can afford to let Ovechkin walk. 10 million or otherwise. They might be less competitive (and not have the room to win a Cup salary wise) but with him and the young talent they can afford, they should at least be able to reach the playoffs.
Second that. And also if teams with no big names/low salaries from small markets could reach SCF, why not a team with one big name/max salary cannot do that?

Old
11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
MoCkBa

even if a democrat comes to office, he/she won't be as lucky as Bill was when it came to being president at the right time. I don't see surpluses coming since the computer/information age isn't making surpluses that much bigger than they used to.

MoCkBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
skateover

The person who translated that article misread it. It says that Ovechkin might get an offer of 10.3 not got an offer already.

skateover is offline   Reply With Quote