HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ovechkin contract offer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2007, 12:36 PM
  #26
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
It's hard to fathom a scenario where it'd be best to let Ovechkin go. It'd amount to a letter of resignation from Ted Leonsis to his fan base.

McPhee was a fool in the first place to let teams set the market for his superstar (i.e Vanek, Crosby).
This just in, that market has already been set.

I was kinda getting to this is a prior post, but who really could offer Ovechkin a 10 million per contract offer? I really don't see many teams that could. And out of the 2 or 3 I see that could.

The best thing for the Caps is to maybe see what he is offered. I mean if he is demanding max salary, why give it to him now? you might as well wait and see if someone else offers him that and then just match.

And if no teams offer him the max, the Caps then have the upper hand in negotiations.

I think many will assume someone will give Ovy a max contract offer this summer, I am not so sure anymore. As I am not 100% sure anyone can.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 01:49 PM
  #27
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
This just in, that market has already been set.

I was kinda getting to this is a prior post, but who really could offer Ovechkin a 10 million per contract offer? I really don't see many teams that could. And out of the 2 or 3 I see that could.

The best thing for the Caps is to maybe see what he is offered. I mean if he is demanding max salary, why give it to him now? you might as well wait and see if someone else offers him that and then just match.

And if no teams offer him the max, the Caps then have the upper hand in negotiations.

I think many will assume someone will give Ovy a max contract offer this summer, I am not so sure anymore. As I am not 100% sure anyone can.
There hasn't been any information about what he's demanding. This is just pure speculation.

As for the "This just in" comment, I was basically reiterating what was said on Versus about getting Ovechkin's contract done early rather than later. It's common knowledge that in all sports players use other player's salaries as sounding boards in contract negotiations regardless of the terms of the CBA.

Again, there's little information on why he hasn't been signed so it's just spinning wheels at this point.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
  #28
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,379
vCash: 50
A team will definitely get close to the max offer for Ovey. Maybe they have a few stud russians to entice Ovey or a team with a winning tradition can get him for just under max. There is no need for us to wait IMO, just get it over with. Max Contract may mean max payne for ted, but it needs to be done. Ted can recoup much of that money if he is smart.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 02:51 PM
  #29
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
A team will definitely get close to the max offer for Ovey. Maybe they have a few stud russians to entice Ovey or a team with a winning tradition can get him for just under max. There is no need for us to wait IMO, just get it over with. Max Contract may mean max payne for ted, but it needs to be done. Ted can recoup much of that money if he is smart.
If its going to be a max contract, there is no reason at all for the Caps to do it now. Why would they?

Ovechkin's main bargening chip is that he can get an offer sheet this summer. Well if the Caps are going to give him the max, no team can offer anymore than that. So who cares if he gets an offer sheet?

I could understand if you were concerned he would get an offer sheet for more. But if its the max already, there is no reason at all to do it now.

If anything the smart thing to do is to wait and see if any team does offer him the max. Because I am not 100% sure they will. And if no team does, than why would you?

I know everyone wants to get Ovechkin signed quick, and some are even getting paniced. But the only reason why the Caps should sign him now is if they think they can get him cheaper than they can in the summer, thinking a team will sign him to an offer sheet and drive up the price.

But that obviously can't happen if you are already going to give him the max. So if that is what he wants, and as someone said this is all speculation, but if that is what he wans than there is seriously no point at all to signing him now.

In fact it would be foolish, because there is no way it could possibly cost you more in the summer. But there is a chance it could cost you less.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
  #30
Gumby
Registered User
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: By the beach!! FL
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
With what happened in the offseason with the Rissian papers and Semin's season ending injury debacle why does anyone pay any attention to them??

If Ovie demands more than Crosby (who had just won the Hart, Ross, & Pearson) got I'll lose a lot of respect for him. Heatley (back to back 50 goals...who was also rumored to get a max deal), Thornton (Hart, Ross winner), Iginla (Richard, Hart winner) all signed for no more than $7.5 mill and if he really demands much more than 8 per he'll be a little more about the money than I'd like.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 03:32 PM
  #31
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
This just in, that market has already been set.

I was kinda getting to this is a prior post, but who really could offer Ovechkin a 10 million per contract offer? I really don't see many teams that could. And out of the 2 or 3 I see that could.
I would assume that the cap will either stay right about where it is or go up slightly. Factor on top of that the extra 10% of cap space during the offseason and there are a bunch of teams that could feasibly attempt an offer sheet at the max. All such a team would then have to do is dump salary via trade(s) and/or send a few one-way contracts down to the AHL. It's not that difficult if a team wants to take that approach and Ovechkin is just the incentive for teams to attempt such a move if Ovechkin were actually interested in signing another team's offer sheet (which we do not actually know at this point one way or another).

The lone plus that I can see in actually waiting to match another team's offer sheet is if the Caps front office has zero confidence in Ovechkin's willingness to sign a long-term contract with them. But even under that scenario, it's possible that a team could come along (knowing that the Caps would match any offer) and offer the max for only four years. Then, Ovechkin--match or no match--would be set to become unrestricted at the earliest date possible. That's the worst case scenario if they're going to be lazy about the process and simply wait to match whatever offer Ovechkin signs (if he indeed wants to go that route). Beyond that, though, it just seems to me better for the player-front office relationship that a deal is done ASAP. Just deal with it, have the photo op and press conference and get back to business in attempting to surround him with the best talent possible.
Quote:
And if no teams offer him the max, the Caps then have the upper hand in negotiations.
Only in theory. If he's aggressive in that demand then bolting for the RSL is always a possibility. I'm not sure that's very likely to occur but if it did then the Caps quickly lose whatever upper hand they believe they have.


Last edited by Langway: 11-28-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 04:26 PM
  #32
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,207
vCash: 50
Ovechkin will get what he wants because without him we suck(we suck with him too) Ovechkin knows that.

__________________
#hfbro4life
Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
  #33
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
It's hard to fathom a scenario where it'd be best to let Ovechkin go. It'd amount to a letter of resignation from Ted Leonsis to his fan base.

McPhee was a fool in the first place to let teams set the market for his superstar (i.e Vanek, Crosby).
I would agree bigtime. Even spending the $$ you would have from letting Ovy go on free agents, you would never get the kind of return that he brings. It would be a deathblow to the Caps.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 10:55 PM
  #34
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Only in theory. If he's aggressive in that demand then bolting for the RSL is always a possibility. I'm not sure that's very likely to occur but if it did then the Caps quickly lose whatever upper hand they believe they have.
No way....I mean it's certainly a possibility because I guess anything COULD happen, but it's blatantly clear that Ovy wants to play in the NHL, not the RSL. Even if the RSL came up with a $7 mill plus per season offer, which I don't think would happen, Ovy wants to be the best, playing among the best, not the best playing in a 2nd tier league.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:14 PM
  #35
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
No way....I mean it's certainly a possibility because I guess anything COULD happen, but it's blatantly clear that Ovy wants to play in the NHL, not the RSL. Even if the RSL came up with a $7 mill plus per season offer, which I don't think would happen, Ovy wants to be the best, playing among the best, not the best playing in a 2nd tier league.
I tend to agree with that based on what Ovechkin has said in the past...but there is the question of who is doing the decision-making when it comes to Ovechkin and his contract talks. We just don't know how influential his mother or his agent will be during the process. If Ovechkin himself is the only party involved in ironing out a new deal then I would tend to think that he'd sign for a pretty reasonable deal in line with what Iginla, Heatley and others are set to be raking in. He does not strike me as a player that would flatly demand the maximum amount that he could possibly get. But we just don't really know how much AO might defer in some of these areas to his agent and, perhaps, his mother (for whatever reason). That's one of many questions that are unanswered at this point.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
  #36
SPAC2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
With what happened in the offseason with the Rissian papers and Semin's season ending injury debacle why does anyone pay any attention to them??

If Ovie demands more than Crosby (who had just won the Hart, Ross, & Pearson) got I'll lose a lot of respect for him. Heatley (back to back 50 goals...who was also rumored to get a max deal), Thornton (Hart, Ross winner), Iginla (Richard, Hart winner) all signed for no more than $7.5 mill and if he really demands much more than 8 per he'll be a little more about the money than I'd like.
You forgot the fact that those players that you mentioned do not pay the price of playing for such unsuccessful team as Caps.

SPAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:45 PM
  #37
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAC2 View Post
You forgot the fact that those players that you mentioned do not pay the price of playing for such unsuccessful team as Caps.
Because their teams can afford to surround them with players like Marleau, Alfredsson, Kipprusoff etc.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:54 PM
  #38
Gumby
Registered User
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: By the beach!! FL
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAC2 View Post
You forgot the fact that those players that you mentioned do not pay the price of playing for such unsuccessful team as Caps.
What the hell does the teams recent success have to do with it? If you want to go that way he should take less because he's not helping the team win while the others led their teams to some success. Either way it's retarded.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
  #39
DuklaNation
Registered User
 
DuklaNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Keep in mind if the Caps pay him the max what may occur under the low scoring NHL. He came in with a lot of PP's. League is slowly going back to low scoring. He wont be as effective. Nobody will. Therefore paying 1 player the max is hard to justify as his impact will never be great enough. Unless you can get cheaper players who perform above their salaries, the team will be doomed to mediocrity.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 12:09 PM
  #40
HockeyCritter
Registered User
 
HockeyCritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAC2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
With what happened in the offseason with the Rissian papers and Semin's season ending injury debacle why does anyone pay any attention to them??

If Ovie demands more than Crosby (who had just won the Hart, Ross, & Pearson) got I'll lose a lot of respect for him. Heatley (back to back 50 goals...who was also rumored to get a max deal), Thornton (Hart, Ross winner), Iginla (Richard, Hart winner) all signed for no more than $7.5 mill and if he really demands much more than 8 per he'll be a little more about the money than I'd like.
You forgot the fact that those players that you mentioned do not pay the price of playing for such unsuccessful team as Caps.
Yep, good thing Heatley played for those successful Thrashers early in his career .... oh wait.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
  #41
SPAC2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Yep, good thing Heatley played for those successful Thrashers early in his career .... oh wait.
1. Ovechkin >>>> Heatley
2. Heatley had never meant to Thrashers as much as Ovechkin means to Caps.

SPAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 05:03 PM
  #42
SPAC2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
What the hell does the teams recent success have to do with it? If you want to go that way he should take less because he's not helping the team win while the others led their teams to some success. Either way it's retarded.
What I meant is that some players are willing to sacrifice their money for the chance to win the Cup. If a team doesn't have a chance to win the Cup (in our case we cannot even make the playoffs) then the only way the team can attract players is to overpay them. Why would Ovechkin want to stay here in Washington if he looses the hope for the team? If this happens then he does everything to get out of here such as asking for too much money, signing an offer sheet or, in extream case, asking the management to trade him.

SPAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
  #43
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Can't imagine that being true. I can't see Ovechkin getting more than Crosby. Let alone 10 million per.

How many teams will have the salary cap space to offer Ovechkin 10 million per? People assume Edmonton, but can they make another offer sheet? I thought you had to have the first round picks to give, and they already gave away some of theirs when they got Penner.

I can't imagine more than 3 or 4 teams that could even offer Ovechkin an offer sheet.
To answer your questions about Edmonton. If the cap goes up a few mill, we'd have room to offer Ovvy the max if we trim some fat. In signing Penner, we gave up our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 08. So we have all our 09 and beyond picks, and we would be able to make a 4 1sts offersheet for Ovvy in summer 08, if he hits RFA.

And I expect Lowe would. As will a lot of other teams. Guys like Ovechkin come along very rarely. If you can get one for a bunch of money and 4 1sts, you do it.

I'd highly recommend you guys not let it get to RFA. Ovechkin is a keeper and other teams will offer the max.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 03:36 PM
  #44
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
To answer your questions about Edmonton. If the cap goes up a few mill, we'd have room to offer Ovvy the max if we trim some fat. In signing Penner, we gave up our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 08. So we have all our 09 and beyond picks, and we would be able to make a 4 1sts offersheet for Ovvy in summer 08, if he hits RFA.

And I expect Lowe would. As will a lot of other teams. Guys like Ovechkin come along very rarely. If you can get one for a bunch of money and 4 1sts, you do it.

I'd highly recommend you guys not let it get to RFA. Ovechkin is a keeper and other teams will offer the max.
Offer away....Ovechkin will sign a max offer in another city before Edmonton. I don't see him getting the marketing exposure he wants in the North Pole.

Either way it will be matched.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 09:11 AM
  #45
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
To answer your questions about Edmonton. If the cap goes up a few mill, we'd have room to offer Ovvy the max if we trim some fat. In signing Penner, we gave up our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 08. So we have all our 09 and beyond picks, and we would be able to make a 4 1sts offersheet for Ovvy in summer 08, if he hits RFA.

And I expect Lowe would. As will a lot of other teams. Guys like Ovechkin come along very rarely. If you can get one for a bunch of money and 4 1sts, you do it.

I'd highly recommend you guys not let it get to RFA. Ovechkin is a keeper and other teams will offer the max.
Do you really expect him to only get a one year deal this summer? No matter where he gets an offer from, i think its safe to assume its going to be for big money and many years.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 09:15 AM
  #46
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Either way it will be matched.
Exactly, if Caps fans want to worry about losing guys to offer sheets. They need to worry about Green and Morrisonn. If GMGM needs to get off his ass and sign anyone its those two.

Those two players should be the priority right now, not Ovechkin. #8 isn't going anywhere, the Caps will match anything.

Its those two young defensman who are going to have their value raised in the summer. I can easily see a team offering Green a 3.2-3.5 million per offer sheet.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 10:54 AM
  #47
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Thats probably why GMGM had been mouthing off about how he'd never do an offer sheet, and about how, yes its allowed under teh cba, but that doesn't mean you should do it sort of thing. He doesn't want teams to come around his door haha.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 11:03 AM
  #48
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Thats probably why GMGM had been mouthing off about how he'd never do an offer sheet, and about how, yes its allowed under teh cba, but that doesn't mean you should do it sort of thing. He doesn't want teams to come around his door haha.
Given GMGM's demeanor, I'm not really sure you could describe anything he says as "Mouthing off"

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 12:02 PM
  #49
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,252
vCash: 500
when we talk about the max offer. is it 20% of the teams payroll or is it 20% of the cap limit?

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 12:11 PM
  #50
Gumby
Registered User
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: By the beach!! FL
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAC2 View Post
What I meant is that some players are willing to sacrifice their money for the chance to win the Cup. If a team doesn't have a chance to win the Cup (in our case we cannot even make the playoffs) then the only way the team can attract players is to overpay them. Why would Ovechkin want to stay here in Washington if he looses the hope for the team? If this happens then he does everything to get out of here such as asking for too much money, signing an offer sheet or, in extream case, asking the management to trade him.
Either he wants to be here and believes in it's direction or he doesn't want to be here and should ask for a trade, it's that simple. If he wants to be here than he should be paid in line with other players in the league. Now if he thought the Caps are going nowhere and just wanted to get all the money he could then it makes him nothing more than a prostitute (*cough* Yashin) and I highly doubt that's in his makeup.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.