HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

wood stick recommendations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2007, 02:01 PM
  #1
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
wood stick recommendations

I'm having some trouble nailing down my stick issues...

The sher-wood 5030 coffey is to me the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm an even 6 feet without shoes on and unfortunately the 5030 comes too short for me from the factory.

I've picked up an easton Z carbon sakic, it isn't a bad stick. But after only 3 sessions the blade on this thing has already started to go in multiple places. I'm tempted to buy another just because they are longer than the 5030's (though still about a tape width's too short for me) but I am not excited to buy a new one every 3 times I get on the ice.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a solid wood stick that is tall enough? or better yet a solution to the 5030 length problem would even be better!

thanks

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 04:36 PM
  #2
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,251
vCash: 500
Check out the Sherwood 7000 or 9950 sticks. They are a bit stiffer but taller than the 5030.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 05:10 PM
  #3
Charley_5054
Registered User
 
Charley_5054's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
I'm rocking a CCM Vector 4.0 and loving it. But i'm not a guy who plays many times a week so it's enough for me

Charley_5054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
  #4
sc37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OH-IO
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 700
Think the longest you'll find is the NBH one60, CCM v5.0, and RBK 3K. I believe they all come in at 62".

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 07:58 PM
  #5
PensBeerGeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Think the longest you'll find is the NBH one60, CCM v5.0, and RBK 3K. I believe they all come in at 62".
The Sher-Wood 9950 is a full 62" long (with a 105 flex)...that's a good recommendation...it's on the higher end of wood sticks at $35-40, though. It even comes with a Coffey curve

I have 2 3Ks right now and they seem about an inch or so shorter than the 9950 (though they're listed at 62")

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 07:59 PM
  #6
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
I'm confused that a standard wood stick is too short for a 6 foot tall person like you and me. You may need to look into your hockey stance.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
  #7
BlackBiRd5
Registered User
 
BlackBiRd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Jofa ASD are good sticks, durable too - I have a Heel / 5 degree loft n it's a nice stick.

BlackBiRd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 09:50 PM
  #8
sc37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OH-IO
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
The Sher-Wood 9950 is a full 62" long (with a 105 flex)...that's a good recommendation...it's on the higher end of wood sticks at $35-40, though. It even comes with a Coffey curve

I have 2 3Ks right now and they seem about an inch or so shorter than the 9950 (though they're listed at 62")
Yeah idk about the 9950 honestly, only the 5030s...but I do know the one60s are quite long. And also if you can find some Montreals, they run pretty long too.

Quote:
I'm confused that a standard wood stick is too short for a 6 foot tall person like you and me. You may need to look into your hockey stance.
Or he just wants some really disgusting reach...

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:05 PM
  #9
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
I'm confused that a standard wood stick is too short for a 6 foot tall person like you and me. You may need to look into your hockey stance.
Highly doubtful.

I'm talking about standing straight up on my skates and holding my stick up to myself. Unless you think you may do that differently than I do.

I like to stick handle close if need be so I like it about chins height.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 11:42 PM
  #10
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Highly doubtful.

I'm talking about standing straight up on my skates and holding my stick up to myself. Unless you think you may do that differently than I do.

I like to stick handle close if need be so I like it about chins height.
What the heck. Is your LHS cutting their wood sticks? I'm the same height as you and my 5030 Leclairs go up to my nose playing D. Unless you have some mishapen head....

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 12:23 AM
  #11
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
What the heck. Is your LHS cutting their wood sticks? I'm the same height as you and my 5030 Leclairs go up to my nose playing D. Unless you have some mishapen head....
Let's do some math....

Sher-wood 5030 SR is 59" in length. If you want a stick up to your chin with skates, lets say you want it up to your nose with your skates off.

If you are 6 feet tall that means you are 72" tall. 72-59 is 13". Which means that that your nose would have to be over a foot lower than the top of your head....So if you're claiming that you're 6 feet tall and your 5030 goes up to your nose with skates on...then you tell me whose got the "mishapen head"...

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 07:44 AM
  #12
newfish
Registered User
 
newfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to newfish
SHerwood 5030 is the top selling wood stick. Get that one.

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:53 AM
  #13
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfish View Post
SHerwood 5030 is the top selling wood stick. Get that one.


He has a 5030, it's too short he says.

I'm currious as to exactly what issues you are having with your stick? I'm 6'3 and I can use the stick without a problem, alough I don't really use that chin guideline, but instead am more concerned about where the blade makes contact with the ice when I'm skating. My sticks all go up to around my collar bone (varries a little as some of my blades are longer than others), but the lie I use assures that I make contact at the proper point on the ice.

You say you like to stick handle in tight. To accomplish this, you might want to try a higher lie.

The guys over at modsquadhockey.com are an encyclopedia of hockey equipment, they might be able to help you out as well.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 12:18 PM
  #14
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,251
vCash: 500
Did you check out the 7000 or 9950?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 01:02 PM
  #15
The Devil In I
Registered User
 
The Devil In I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Let's do some math....

Sher-wood 5030 SR is 59" in length. If you want a stick up to your chin with skates, lets say you want it up to your nose with your skates off.

If you are 6 feet tall that means you are 72" tall. 72-59 is 13". Which means that that your nose would have to be over a foot lower than the top of your head....So if you're claiming that you're 6 feet tall and your 5030 goes up to your nose with skates on...then you tell me whose got the "mishapen head"...
I'm with the other guy. I'm right at 6' also, and I think the 5030 is slightly too long (but I also like using short sticks, better stick handling). I just took a new one (also Coffey) that I havn't cut down yet (havn't been able to play due to injury) and standing up against a wall, with the handle part of the stick on the floor, the very tip of the blade was around upper lip height. You gotta be tilting your chin way up or something, either that or you're above 6'.

The Devil In I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 01:11 PM
  #16
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Did you check out the 7000 or 9950?
I will as soon as I get some more $$...Running a bit low at the moment.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 02:03 PM
  #17
windflare
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,364
vCash: 500
Nike Flexlite 10. There are some long ones that they make, and it's a generally long and solid woodstick. Also check out the One40 and One60 woodies from NBH.

I don't like the Easton woodsticks due to their blades.

Sherwood 9030, 9950 also. You should check around the stores, as some of them carry longer versions of the 5030.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 02:25 PM
  #18
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Sorry about the head crack. It was just in jest. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Sher-wood 5030 SR is 59" in length.
That store has an odd stock of 5030's. Mine is definitely longer than 59".

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 03:21 PM
  #19
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
Sorry about the head crack. It was just in jest. But...



That store has an odd stock of 5030's. Mine is definitely longer than 59".
No offense taken or anything....I think you're shop has an odd stock though! All be it better for you...

http://sher-wood.com/5030_eng.html

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 04:51 PM
  #20
sc37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OH-IO
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Nike Flexlite 10. There are some long ones that they make, and it's a generally long and solid woodstick. Also check out the One40 and One60 woodies from NBH.

I don't like the Easton woodsticks due to their blades.

Sherwood 9030, 9950 also. You should check around the stores, as some of them carry longer versions of the 5030.
I found Flexlites to be thick and heavy...and idk if they available anymore. But anyways, go to icewarehouse for some info:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Sticks.html

Seems like they the only place I've noticed that has any length info.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
  #21
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan
 
Marc Bergevins Suit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,780
vCash: 500
Z-Carbon. I switched from composites back to this one years ago and loved it until i bought a vapor xxx

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 09:58 PM
  #22
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,566
vCash: 50
Easton Synergy ABS, a light 20 dollar stick.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.