HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think Komisarek should go back to Hamilton

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
I think Komisarek should go back to Hamilton

As much as it pains me to admit it, Komisarek's play is getting worse by the game. Where last year he made all those good tape to tape passes (and early when called up), now it's just missed passes, bad decision making and panicking. He does not hit nearly as much as he did at first and in all honesty is a liability in his own end right now. I don't know if it's the pressure to perform or the shuffling between forward, left D, right D, stands, etc. that is causing him problems but his confidence level seems to have hit rock bottom. And I'm not basing this on one game only for the ones wondering. I've carefully watched his progression (or lack of) within the last few 20 games or so and he's actually regressing IMO. He seems to want to do way too much on the ice and freezes when called upon to take charge and make fast plays. Where he would always chip the puck out of the zone safely by the boards before, he now creates turnovers after turnovers.

I think they should let him gain back some confidence in the minors (playing with his friend Chris might actually help) and bring him back when there's actually room for him on the right side. I also think someone should have a talk with him right now (whether it be Gainey, Julien, Green or Jarvis) because his problems are not skills related. He's just struggling mentally. I think I overestimated his readiness after last year's performance. He seems to have hit a wall in his progression. Not that I think he won't develop well, just that there's still some growing up to do for him (confidence related).

I get the impression when looking at him play he doesn't feel he belongs right now and looks like a rookie relying on the vets to get him out of trouble as opposed to earlier where he was just concentrating on his game and keeping it quick and simple. I partly blame CJ for this as his use of Komisarek in his short stint in Montreal has been questionable at best. I also think the praises about his play last year where he became the upcoming star overnight among media and fans might have added unwanted pressure he has a hard time dealing with. For some it's no big deal (see Ryder), for others it quickly becomes a handicap. It's all a question of maturity and personality.

I don't think anybody can dispute the fact that Komisarek's struggling right now unless they're in complete denial, but does anyone else feel he would be served better by getting back to Hamilton, getting top minutes with Hainsey and coming back later when he'll have found his game again? I see him very fragile right now and am really wondering what they'll do with him when Markov comes back (assuming he'll be back soon). I know it's a bit disapointing for some, but it's part of the rookie growing experience (especially in a Dman's case) and patience should be the key. If he's not ready, he's not ready, and right now my conclusion is that he's not ready. I still feel he'll be a heck of a Dman some day, but it might take longer than everybody hoped after his quick developemental boost last year.

I don't think anybody should be worried about him either. This will most likely resolve itself as he gets older and gains in maturity and confidence. But letting him in a position he's not able to handle, that might do more harm than good.

Old
01-18-2004, 11:13 AM
skidboot

I agree.

He looks to be really tentative. Looks like he is afraid to make a mistake. Also it seems to me that for a guy his size he sure gets beat alot in the physical department.

Put him down to Hamilton and let him play 30mins a game.

You reading my mind Munchy?

Old
01-18-2004, 11:33 AM
BLONG7

Send him down and bring Hainsey back, come on BG! He has been struggling, and Hainsey has been playing very well in Hamilton. We all know that sometimes, more often than not, young D take awhile to mature into the NHL game. Komi will be a BIG part of the Habs D for years to come, no need to rush things if they aren't going as well as hoped.

Old
01-18-2004, 11:36 AM
chicpea*

I don't know if it's the answer, but I also don't think it would hurt him to go down for a spell. Look at Bryan Allen in Van. He has really turned his game around and develped after going up-down-up-down for a few seasons.

Old
01-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Komisarek has been playing with everybody and on both side .... not the perfect situation to learn the game . I would like the Habs to use 7 defencemen and the 4th pairing would be Souray-Komisarek .

Old
01-18-2004, 11:48 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
not the perfect situation
So than why not have him in that perfect situation with the Bulldogs, where he can work on the thinking aspect of the game, slow things down a bit, and recover some of that mean streak.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Patty Roy

I agree...i think that once Begin and Markov come back that some definite roster changes will be made. Begin's return should spell the end for Perreault, while Markov's return will most likely mean returning Komisarek to Hamilton, which i think would certainly be a good thing. The question is who comes up as our 7th d-men? Bouillon has been playing well lately, so i think the number 7 guy is probably just going to sit for most games. I'd call up Dykhuis...at least for road trips.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:24 PM
jcpenny

He' ok here and he should stay. He has nothing to learn back in th AHL. Defenseman take more tim to develop yall know that (souray and markov). Hes like 21-22 now, hainsey wouldnt do a better job defensively so we're better off with komo.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:41 PM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
He' ok here and he should stay. He has nothing to learn back in th AHL. Defenseman take more tim to develop yall know that (souray and markov). Hes like 21-22 now, hainsey wouldnt do a better job defensively so we're better off with komo.
I agree he should stay, but playing on the left side with Brisebois is not the answer. The problem is we need a left shooting d-man. Having only Souray and Bouillon on the left side is not a healthy situation. I'd be tempted to give Karl Dykhuis a call if Markov's not back soon. Komisarek will continue to have problems playing the left side. Give Karl a call, and pair him up with Brisebois, and keep Komisarek in the pressbox for the next three games.

Souray/Quintal
Bouillon/Rivet
Dykhuis/Brisebois

Komisarek

Old
01-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I suppose I'm in the minority here, but I think that Komisarek has been doing fine.

He hasn't been getting worse, nor does his confidence seem particularly fragile. He has good games and bad games, and it's all part of the learning curve. He hasn't been hurting the team -- in fact, it's been winning consistently with him in the line-up, and he is a +3 on the season.

His main problems are that he sometimes makes bad decisions, and he sometimes gets out of position. I don't think that Hamilton is the best place to improve these areas because he will not be exposed to the speed and timing of the NHL game. Playing 30 minutes a game in the AHL, against unripened prospects and career-minor-leaguers, may inflate his confidence, but it won't help much when it comes to learning the NHL game.

It's just a question of whether he's ready to learn at the NHL level. From what I've seen of him, he is getting better over-all, but not necessarily from game to game. Paired with Rivet, who has been a rock the past few games, is the same rite of passage that Markov and even Bouwmeester have gone through.

There will be a tough decision whenever Markov returns, but he's doing fine for now, IMO.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Guy Caballero

He doesn't need to be sent down. He's making rookie mistakes but he's not really hurting us. And he's not going to become the next Scott Stevens by going down to the minors again. In fact, I don't think he's going to get any better down there at all. I say let him go through his NHL growing pains and have a little patience. When he starts making mistakes that cost us games, then you can complain about his being on the big club.

Old
01-18-2004, 12:55 PM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
I agree he should stay, but playing on the left side with Brisebois is not the answer. The problem is we need a left shooting d-man. Having only Souray and Bouillon on the left side is not a healthy situation. I'd be tempted to give Karl Dykhuis a call if Markov's not back soon. Komisarek will continue to have problems playing the left side. Give Karl a call, and pair him up with Brisebois, and keep Komisarek in the pressbox for the next three games.

Souray/Quintal
Bouillon/Rivet
Dykhuis/Brisebois

Komisarek
You really want to see Dykhuis in a Habs uniform again??

Old
01-18-2004, 01:03 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
You really want to see Dykhuis in a Habs uniform again??
Hell no! But he has that NHL experince though...

Old
01-18-2004, 01:06 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
He doesn't need to be sent down. He's making rookie mistakes but he's not really hurting us. And he's not going to become the next Scott Stevens by going down to the minors again. In fact, I don't think he's going to get any better down there at all. I say let him go through his NHL growing pains and have a little patience. When he starts making mistakes that cost us games, then you can complain about his being on the big club.
I agree. He's struggling a bit but belongs in Montreal. We need his size right now. I think when Markov comes back, Komi should spend some time watching tape and viewing the odd game from the pressbox, taking mental notes from watching the more experienced guys, like he was earlier in the season.

I think it's great that we have 6 NHL capable defensemen (Quintal, Rivet, Brisebois, Souray, Markov, Boullion), 2 on the farm that can fill in (Dykhuis and IMO Beauchemin), and 2 great ones yet to come in Hainsey and Komi. Gainey is definitely dealing from a position of strength on the blueline.

Old
01-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Agreed. He is just going through the growing pains that every D-man goes through. The only way to learn the NHL game is by playing in the NHL. He is going to make these same mistakes no matter how much he plays in the AHL, it's just part of the learning curve.

Old
01-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Habsolution

Markov should be back soon and Komisarek is gonna go to the pressbox when he is back. Bouillon is here to stay and I don't see anyone of Quintal, Brisebois or Rivet being scratched or traded anytime soon.

Anyway if they called Komisarek up it's because they thought he has nothing to learn in the AHL anymore. I won't dispute the fact Komisarek hasn't seemed to progress much as of late but I still believe it would be useless to send him down.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Mike8

I don't think Komisarek should be sent down. He doesn't have the confidence he had earlier but, I think that has more to do with playing different positions and trying to pay closer attention to detail.

Sending him to the AHL could just as easily cut down his confidence as it could boost it.

Keeping him in Montreal allows him to learn from the coaching staff and teammates, and work on adapting to the speed of the NHL. As far as I'm concerned, he has the fundamentals down and understands the game enough to excel in the AHL. He just needs to get accustomed to the speed in the NHL, and playing in the AHL ain't gonna help that.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:14 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV

Souray/Quintal
Bouillon/Rivet
Dykhuis/Brisebois

Komisarek
thanks God you are not the GM

Old
01-18-2004, 02:33 PM
sevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
thanks God you are not the GM
i agree..its a good thing we are watching. however lets clear a few things up here... i know first hand being a friend of the director of player' that hossa and hainsey will not be called up for a long long time, with the exception of being showcased for a trade. the organization sees hossa as being very moody and very lazy and hainsey is very immature not only on the ice but off as well. he has a lot of growing up to do before he can represent himself on and off the ice. Markov may not be back as soon as some hope. he has an infection in his foot that apparently is keeping him from even walking properly. komisarek is not logging a lot of time and is being used as best as he can be.. he isnt making the types of mistakes that brisbois has in the past, he is still very good positionally. and i think the time off through the all star break will be a big help, he is still adjusting to life in the NHL.

the other bit of insight i have at this time is that Balej is ready. more so than we can hope. but he doesnt fit into the equation right now...he is not a third or fourth liner and may not have the defensive mind to even try those lines so first two lines is where he belongs.....who do you sit for him, zed or ryder

look for a small trade soon...small...ie kilger or perreault for futures or third rounders.... maybe even dackel juneau or (hate to say it but Dags)

allowing room for a call up....
speed kills and the kids are hungry...

sevil

Old
01-18-2004, 02:35 PM
goalchenyuk

i think that Beauchemin deserve to play for the big team ; he 's probably the most consistent defenser of the farm team since 2 years and is playing a hard game.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I really don't think he's going to play much once Markov's back, hence my original concern. No vet is going to sit in favor of Komisarek who's the most tentative of all our Dmen right now and we're in a playoff race. I'm sure CJ won't risk putting Komisarek out there in those circumstances. So this means Komisarek will sit the remainder of the year unless there's injuries.

Now how does this help him to develop? The way I see it, Komisarek was not ready enough to grab the opportunity given by the fact there was all those injuries to push a vet out of the lineup. He's still the odd man out and therefore will see virtually no playing time once everybody's healthy IMO.

Of course we always need a 7th Dman, but I'm not sure I want Komisarek eating hot dogs in the stands 4/5 games until the season's over.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:51 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I really don't think he's going to play much once Markov's back, hence my original concern. No vet is going to sit in favor of Komisarek who's the most tentative of all our Dmen right now and we're in a playoff race. I'm sure CJ won't risk putting Komisarek out there in those circumstances. So this means Komisarek will sit the remainder of the year unless there's injuries.

Now how does this help him to develop? The way I see it, Komisarek was not ready enough to grab the opportunity given by the fact there was all those injuries to push a vet out of the lineup. He's still the odd man out and therefore will see virtually no playing time once everybody's healthy IMO.

Of course we always need a 7th Dman, but I'm not sure I want Komisarek eating hot dogs in the stands 4/5 games until the season's over.
totally agree with you , he don't have his place here when Markov will play

Old
01-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil
the other bit of insight i have at this time is that Balej is ready. more so than we can hope. but he doesnt fit into the equation right now...he is not a third or fourth liner and may not have the defensive mind to even try those lines so first two lines is where he belongs.....who do you sit for him, zed or ryder
You don't sit either Zednik or Ryder, especially not for a player like Balej. You move Bulis down to the third line where he belongs, and move Ryder to the left side. Easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Players can develop their games by working on it in practice and in the video room. I'd wager much of the development goes on in those two places rather than in the 10-12 minutes rookie defensemen see in the NHL.

And injuries will hit the defensemen at some point. Players will go down and Komisarek will get more chances to play. If he is having success in terms of development and understanding the game with Rick Green, then I see no reason to send him down even if he's in the press box for the majority of the games.

Old
01-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
You don't sit either Zednik or Ryder, especially not for a player like Balej. You move Bulis down to the third line where he belongs, and move Ryder to the left side. Easy.
Exactly and I hope they do just that. I love Bulis but he's just not a 1st liner. Now would be the good time, Balej is on a hot streak and the first line seems a little bit on a cold streak right now (past 2 games). Besides our checking line would be so much more effective if Bulis was on it. It would bring much needed energy to this line. And I'd really love to see what Balej can do at the NHL level with guys like Koivu and Ryder on his line. Another week or two of Balej being on fire and I don't see how they can keep him down longer.

Old
01-19-2004, 01:47 AM
8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Send him down and bring Hainsey back, come on BG! He has been struggling, and Hainsey has been playing very well in Hamilton. We all know that sometimes, more often than not, young D take awhile to mature into the NHL game. Komi will be a BIG part of the Habs D for years to come, no need to rush things if they aren't going as well as hoped.
Hainsey is the man, not only he is left handed but I beleive he is more NHL ready. Komisarek have been good but giving him more time to develop in minors wont do bad. I never saw a right handed defenceman do great things on left side for the habs recently...

Closed Thread