HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about acquiring Michal Handzus?

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 03:29 PM
David A. Rainer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
What about acquiring Michal Handzus?

Handzus is a huge center at 6'5" and 220lbs. He'll be 27 in a couple of months and has consistently put up between 40 and 50 points in a season. He would make a great 2nd or 3rd line center.

Desjardins just broke his arm and Seidenberg just broke his leg. Philadelphia is in need of a veteran defenseman and could dangle Handzus as trade bait, says the Philadelphia Inquirer (scroll down to Flyers News).

Would a trade of Aaron Miller to the Flyers for Michal Handzus work?

I put a thread in the main trade board to see what everyone else thinks.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 01-19-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old
01-19-2004, 05:18 PM
punchy1

I read that bit at spectors and though "now that would be a grand get". He is a tough, phsical and smart player. In a choice between him and Ebell I wouldn't even blink. In fact, I wonder how he would do on the second line as a step in once in awhile to give us another look. Miller for Hans tuff one that is in that it is very hard to find solid defencemen. Maybe if we could work a bigger deal like Hands, Therien and a second for Miller, Lappy (about to be a UFA so value wise maybe not as far off as my usual thoughts) and a 5th? I am horrible at these things but I would love to have Hands and if we were to land Therien too it would help. If the Flyers need D then take out Lappy and insert Corvo and take away the pick from them. We can tell them that Corvo is a real offencive replacement for the way DJ used to play. Who knows, Clarke is mad enough to where it might be capable for Stitch to pull another rabbit out of his keester?

Old
01-19-2004, 05:57 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

we're weakest on defense and we have too many centers (avery, belanger, cammalleri, armstrong, pirnes, stumpel). i think we can pass on handzus

Old
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
Handzus is a huge center at 6'5" and 220lbs. He'll be 27 in a couple of months and has consistently put up between 40 and 50 points in a season. He would make a great 2nd or 3rd line center.

Desjardins just broke his arm and Seidenberg just broke his leg. Philadelphia is in need of a veteran defenseman and could dangle Handzus as trade bait, says the Philadelphia Inquirer (scroll down to Flyers News).

Would a trade of Aaron Miller to the Flyers for Michal Handzus work?

I put a thread in the main trade board to see what everyone else thinks.
Handzus would be a huge pickup

Old
01-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Mindcircus

Yeah we're so stacked on defense... we can spare an Aaron Miller. I'd say no to this deal just cause we need defense first. Yeah i know, not very insightfull on my part.

Old
01-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Face Wash

Why do you people think the Kings signed Aaron Miller to a long term deal instead of trading him last year at the deadline which they easily could have?

Could it be because they didn't want to make the same mistake they made the previous offseason with Boucher? Could it be because the Kings are about to bring up a crop of promising young defensemen who will need the leadership guys like Matty and Aaron bring? Could it be because he's the only defenseman they got in the Rob Blake deal? Could it be all of the above?

Now all of a sudden everyone wants to dump the guy, it's not very smart. Michal Handzus is a decent hockey player. He's decent in the faceoff circle, he's decent on the PP, he's on pace for a 50 point season... sound defensivley, although he's never been one to use his size effectively... ..he makes a million and a half... He would be nice to have, but not for one of your most experienced defensive-minded defenseman when you consider the above paragraph.

Old
01-19-2004, 11:42 PM
David A. Rainer

I don't want to blow Miller out of town, but I want to get something for him while the gettin' is good. I only thought of Miller because it fit the description of what Phily was looking for. I'd rather trade off Modry, but Miller has the higher value (when healthy). But Aaron Miller has never been healthy, with the Kings or with Colorado.

This team is in sore need of size up front.

The team has possibly 3 defenseman that must be signed and found spots for between LA and Manchester or we lose them completely. That does not include Grebs and Gleason, which would make it five in addition to the other d-men we already have between LA and Manchester. There was a reason the Kings did not draft a defenseman last draft for the first time in Kings history - there is a bumper-crop of them coming in.

Whether you guys like it or not, this team is going with a youth movement next season. There is absolutely no way around it. There are no less than 8 prospects that must be signed this offseason or lose them COMPLETELY. I know the Kings won't sign them all, but they will sign most of them and spots must be found. Further the money used to sign these guys has to come from somewhere. The Kings are going to blow out some of the contracts on the NHL team to give themselves money to sign these prospects. And when you use the money saved off of the NHL roster to sign your prospects, usually some of the prospects end up on the NHL roster.

Defense is not our strength right now, but the Kings have a several d-men prospects coming in next season of which three of them play the exact same style as Matty and Miller. You can't have them all playing in Manchester.

This offseason is going to be very similar to the 2002 offseason - where Cammy, Aulin, Frolov, Lehoux, Corvo, and Huet all signed. Except there's more of them this year. As a result the Kings signed no FAs in the offseason because there was no money left and the biggest noise they made in bringing someone in was to trade for Rasmussen and Army. Add the downward pressure the CBA will produce and something has got to give.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 01-20-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old
01-19-2004, 11:52 PM
David A. Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
Why do you people think the Kings signed Aaron Miller to a long term deal instead of trading him last year at the deadline which they easily could have?
Because everyone in the Kings organization knew that it was only going to be one more season with this current team for a push for the playoffs before it would have to be broken up, and they couldn't sign Miller to just a one year deal. So they signed him long term to make a run for it this season. If they don't make it, they can start pawning off overvalued contracts to playoff teams. If they do make it, this conversation becomes moot.

Quote:
Could it be because they didn't want to make the same mistake they made the previous offseason with Boucher?
It may have sucked that Boucher was cleared out, but the way the rules are for signing draft picks, their hand was forced. They had to sign Aulin, Cammy, Frolov, Corvo and Lehoux to contracts (some of them considerable in size) or lose them (with the exception of Frolov). That money had to come from somewhere and Boucher was the odd man out. This offseason is going to be ever worse as 8 (and possibly 9) must be signed or lost altogether.

Quote:
Could it be because the Kings are about to bring up a crop of promising young defensemen who will need the leadership guys like Matty and Aaron bring?
Again, one of them is going to get squeezed in a numbers crunch. If leadership is what they're concerned about, they don't need both of them. One of the two are going to get squeezed and I think it will be Miller.

Quote:
Could it be because he's the only defenseman they got in the Rob Blake deal?
I think there is a lot of validity in this. Miller is tied to the Blake trade and the success of Miller (and the others received in the Blake trade) is going to go a long way towards the public perception of the success of the trade. If they fail, it will be perceived as a bad trade. I agree with you completely here. But I don't think the Kings should let that ham-string them.

Quote:
Now all of a sudden everyone wants to dump the guy, it's not very smart. Michal Handzus is a decent hockey player. He's decent in the faceoff circle, he's decent on the PP, he's on pace for a 50 point season... sound defensivley, although he's never been one to use his size effectively... ..he makes a million and a half... He would be nice to have, but not for one of your most experienced defensive-minded defenseman when you consider the above paragraph.
Something has got to give. The Kings did not want to move Boucher but their hand was forced. Their hand is going to be forced again this offseason, except worse.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 01-20-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old
01-20-2004, 12:01 AM
Fat Elvis

I disagree mr. wash, I think that Miller is an old 32 and by that I mean that he is breaking down all the time. He has played more than 56 games only 3 times in 8 years and will be lucky to play in the same 49 games he played a year ago. Not to mention the 20 he's played this year he's looked really bad. Why not move him and corvo( who also has been really bad) for Handzus and Therian or maybe even Gagne and Therian? Next year we can go into the free agent market and get a more durable dman and depending on the CBA, who knows who may become avaliable.

Closed Thread