HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Boudreau's moves

Old
11-29-2007, 01:50 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Boudreau's moves

Interesting.

Olie is over the hill: Many here questioned why not get Byrz...Olie is over the hill and out soon anyway. Boudreau: Kolzig is playing all the games now.

Green is the gunner: Boudreau has Green down low on the 4 on 3 power play, shooting first in the shootout, and playing Tom Poti minutes.

Poti is Aucoin: Poti is playing Adrian Aucoin in his Islanders days minutes. 30 plus.

Jurcina is done: Dog house...not good.

Backstrom on his stride: Something has changed there. Between his 4th line play and his special teams time, he has found his NHL game. Saw him skating late with the big guns and his pressure packed results in the shootout are telling.

Boudreau has found a 3rd line he likes. He has found 5 players that he really likes beyond them. Ov, Olie, Backstrom, Poti and Green. He allocates ice time more like Ron Wilson which I find very interesting.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:02 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Interesting.

Olie is over the hill: Many here questioned why not get Byrz...Olie is over the hill and out soon anyway. Boudreau: Kolzig is playing all the games now.

Green is the gunner: Boudreau has Green down low on the 4 on 3 power play, shooting first in the shootout, and playing Tom Poti minutes.

Poti is Aucoin: Poti is playing Adrian Aucoin in his Islanders days minutes. 30 plus.

Jurcina is done: Dog house...not good.

Backstrom on his stride: Something has changed there. Between his 4th line play and his special teams time, he has found his NHL game. Saw him skating late with the big guns and his pressure packed results in the shootout are telling.

Boudreau has found a 3rd line he likes. He has found 5 players that he really likes beyond them. Ov, Olie, Backstrom, Poti and Green. He allocates ice time more like Ron Wilson which I find very interesting.

If there was one guy I suspected would immediately flourish under BB, it was Green. I mean Green was his best defender in Hershey wasn't he? I saw an immediate boost in Green's confidence on the ice BB's first game.

Great to see Olie responding and silencing the critics for a while. Still...we need wins.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Serial_Derecho

Send a message via Yahoo to Serial_Derecho
Quote:
Interesting.

The reason most want Bryzgalov was not to replace Olie (not this year anyway), but to replace Johnson. There is a reason why Olie is playing all the games and that reason is that Johnson sucks.

Serial_Derecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I had a dream last night that Poti had 55 minutes of ice time in a game. Seriously.

It's getting to the point where I'm dreaming about Caps hockey. I think I might need an intervention.

I'm extremely concerned about Jurcina's regression. He's our only capable physical defenseman. Schultz is going to have to handle a larger load (I thought he was better last night).

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 08:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Derecho View Post
The reason most want Bryzgalov was not to replace Olie (not this year anyway), but to replace Johnson. There is a reason why Olie is playing all the games and that reason is that Johnson sucks.

But the fact is that it just doesn't work out that way. Broduer is not going to be playing 50 games this season. Kolzig is not going to be giving up his throne after this season either, unless his game falls away. The reason that Kolzig is going to play all the games is because he is better and they don't have the luxury of playing the backup. The reason he is playing is because he is the leader and Boudreau plays his lead goalie.

Bryz makes...$1.5m? Johnson $.5m. That is $2m for a back up goalie...NOT a co-number one. Thats over $7m for goalies. You think Ted is going to sign off for that?

I know this is not a popular opinion on this forum, but there is no logical way that Kolzig and Bryz would have made it together without an uphevel of somekind...IMO

Old
11-29-2007, 08:44 AM
smakawhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Derecho View Post
BINGO!!!!

smakawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 08:58 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
If there was one guy I suspected would immediately flourish under BB, it was Green. I mean Green was his best defender in Hershey wasn't he? I saw an immediate boost in Green's confidence on the ice BB's first game.

Great to see Olie responding and silencing the critics for a while. Still...we need wins.
Poor Kolzig, played well again last night but was outdone by the guy at the other end. I still like BB's move to can Hanlons fixed rotation, which I thought was ridiculous. The risk is that Kolzig will break down like he did last year. Thats why you bring in Bryz, as insurance. Its not our money anyways.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 08:58 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
But the fact is that it just doesn't work out that way. Broduer is not going to be playing 50 games this season. Kolzig is not going to be giving up his throne after this season either, unless his game falls away. The reason that Kolzig is going to play all the games is because he is better and they don't have the luxury of playing the backup. The reason he is playing is because he is the leader and Boudreau plays his lead goalie.

Bryz makes...$1.5m? Johnson $.5m. That is $2m for a back up goalie...NOT a co-number one. Thats over $7m for goalies. You think Ted is going to sign off for that?

I know this is not a popular opinion on this forum, but there is no logical way that Kolzig and Bryz would have made it together without an uphevel of somekind...IMO
Kolzig's averaged 56 games the past two seasons. He's missed time both seasons with lower body injuries. It's possible, but unlikely, that at 37 years old Kolzig has 65+ effective starts in him anymore. If he starts 65 and we make the playoffs, his legs might fall off.

If Johnson starts 25+ games this season, how many are we gonna win, 3? Even if by some miracle Kolzig makes it to 65 starts, how many wins will Johnson pull from his 17? 1, maybe 2?

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:06 AM
txpd

I am not a Johnson fan, but he has two games allowing 1 goal in regulation and another with 2 out of his 6 starts. I think its kind of misplaced to dump losing those hockey games on the goalie. And then there was the 53 shot barrage that he faced at Buffalo. Either you are forgetting or ignoring that fact.

That accounts for 4 of his 6 games. The other two were 4gaa games with one vs TB in the throws of the Caps final collapse under Hanlon. I see the results and don't see the stinks part.

Old
11-29-2007, 09:18 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I am not a Johnson fan, but he has two games allowing 1 goal in regulation and another with 2 out of his 6 starts. I think its kind of misplaced to dump losing those hockey games on the goalie. And then there was the 53 shot barrage that he faced at Buffalo. Either you are forgetting or ignoring that fact.

That accounts for 4 of his 6 games. The other two were 4gaa games with one vs TB in the throws of the Caps final collapse under Hanlon. I see the results and don't see the stinks part.
When you stop fewer than 90% of the shots in the NHL, the losses are your fault. That's a trend that goes back 37 games.

Old
11-29-2007, 10:33 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
When you stop fewer than 90% of the shots in the NHL, the losses are your fault. That's a trend that goes back 37 games.
Date Opponent Result GS MIN W L OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV%
Nov 16 @ TAM L 2-5 1 58 0 1 0 1 4 4.10 23 19 .826 0
Nov 6 @ ATL OTL 1-2 1 62 0 0 1 0 2 1.95 31 29 .935 0
Nov 5 @ CAR L 0-5 0 18 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 9 9 1.000 0
Oct 27 @ STL L 3-4 1 59 0 1 0 0 4 4.07 18 14 .778 0
Oct 20 PIT L 1-2 1 59 0 1 0 0 2 2.03 22 20 .909 0
Oct 13 @ BUF L 3-7 1 60 0 1 0 0 7 7.00 53 46 .868 0
Oct 5 @ ATL W 3-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 29 28 .966 0

46 saves vs Buffalo and the loss was his fault?
.935 sv% vs Atlanta. His fault?
.909 sv% vs Pittsburgh. His fault?

That leaves you with two games. 2 out of 6. You see when you have a statistically bad game like the STL game and you don't play much, it pretty well kills your average. 53 shots against in Buffalo didn't help his average either. I see 4 quality starts out of 6.

Old
11-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Nov 16 @ TAM L 2-5 1 58 0 1 0 1 4 4.10 23 19 .826 0
Nov 6 @ ATL OTL 1-2 1 62 0 0 1 0 2 1.95 31 29 .935 0
Nov 5 @ CAR L 0-5 0 18 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 9 9 1.000 0
Oct 27 @ STL L 3-4 1 59 0 1 0 0 4 4.07 18 14 .778 0
Oct 20 PIT L 1-2 1 59 0 1 0 0 2 2.03 22 20 .909 0
Oct 13 @ BUF L 3-7 1 60 0 1 0 0 7 7.00 53 46 .868 0
Oct 5 @ ATL W 3-1 1 60 1 0 0 0 1 1.00 29 28 .966 0

46 saves vs Buffalo and the loss was his fault?
.935 sv% vs Atlanta. His fault?
.909 sv% vs Pittsburgh. His fault?

That leaves you with two games. 2 out of 6. You see when you have a statistically bad game like the STL game and you don't play much, it pretty well kills your average. 53 shots against in Buffalo didn't help his average either. I see 4 quality starts out of 6.

didnt he fold up in the Buffalo game and let in a couple questionable goals ina very short period?

You like to point to stats as the proof to support some positions, and IMO it doesnt work all the time. A goalie can stop 40 shots, let in 2 soft goals, and in my mind he played poorly. This reminds me of your position on 55 after the Flyers game. You pointed to his ice time and made a comment about how BB clearly didnt think he played that badly.....but he was in the stands the next game

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Regarding Johnson, I think you guys are missing the point. He can stand on his head one night and make Cloutier look like a god the next night.

He's wildly inconsistent. That's all.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:52 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Regarding Johnson, I think you guys are missing the point. He can stand on his head one night and make Cloutier look like a god the next night.

He's wildly inconsistent. That's all.
Thus some moron thinks he commanded a 2 year extension...

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:06 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

My thoughts on his moves:

1. the 5 man PP in zone is light years ahead of anything we've seen in 3 years
2. still need to get better at gaining zone (that 2nd PP attempt last night was attrocious)
3. I like that he's riding Ollie. Too bad he'll break at some time.
4. Still need to get better overall transition through neutral zone.
5. Re PP: Teams are going to try to take away AO first, and now they're noticing Green. Poti needs to shoot more and the two lefties need to show some semblence of a threat. I think these plays will come in time as they work in practice.
6. I like the rotation on the 5-6 guys on D.
7. I don't like Backstrom on the 4th line (partly cause #8 below)
8. I don't like the line of Laich-Steckel-Gordon. But I love these guys on PK.
9. I like that he's focusing on not turning the puck over at either blue lines. I think over time the team will get it.
10. I LOVE THE AGRESSIVE PLAY!
11. I like everything Green this year. But Greenie has done more and shown more confidence under BB. I hope Eminger follows suit on being agressive.

FIX THE ICE!!!!!!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Regarding Green, I'm loving the confidence and the willingness to go on O. I think he's gambling a bit too much and I wish he'd work a little harder on his D. I just looked at some shift charts to see if I could back that up and I can't. Green has been on the ice for 1 goal against in the 4 games since Boudreau took over. He's a +4 in that span. I guess defense by means of offense is working for him even if it scares the hell out of me sometimes.

Old
11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
didnt the team fold up in the Buffalo game and left Johnson out to dry, in a very short period?

Fixed...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Fixed...
for me Johnson doesnt just get a total pass on letting in 4 goals in less than 5 minutes (on 7 shots)....its not like all 4 were some amazing plays that he had no chance on

Old
11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
BigDaleHunters

A couple of weeks ago I travelled to St Louis. While I was there I took in a Blues/ Red Wings game. When I entered the arena I was startled by how cold the building was. Fans really need a winter coat in that building. Memo to Polin/Leonsis: Turn up the AC!!!

I do like the moves Boudreau is making, esp, as others have noted, the effect those moves have had on Green. I do think, that when Green is on the ice w Poti, that the young man defers to POti's veteran status instead of taking initiatives on his own, i.e., dishing off to Poti when the good move is clearly Green's. That said, I think BB is going to have a few games to get used to his new team, learn their strengths and weaknesses, etc. At the very least the team is watchable now.

But isn't it just the Caps (meaning our) luck? A new design at last, new veteran players, a buzz going into the season, a new marketing team and strategy, everything in place to succeed, and then the team falls flat on its face?
It's a long way to Tippararee...
Your pal,
BDH

BigDaleHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Roccoman

another player that is reaping the rewards of the new coach is Brooks Laich - fulltime shutdown line duties, PKing and even got a shift or 2 with the top 2 lines... he is working hard out there & if i recall, BB used him alot in Hershey's Calder championship

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMurp View Post
another player that is reaping the rewards of the new coach is Brooks Laich - fulltime shutdown line duties, PKing and even got a shift or 2 with the top 2 lines... he is working hard out there & if i recall, BB used him alot in Hershey's Calder championship
I think Laich has playing really well all season. I think he is getting what he fully deserves by being on the checking line full time.

Pettinger on the other hand looks like a guy who is going to eventually be moved. He has shown he isn't a 2nd line player, and since the Laich-Steckel-Gordon line looks set I don't see a role for Pettinger on the team, certainly not long term.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:37 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I've been wondering what a Pettinger + Eminger combo could land.

Old
11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Mothra

Pettinger needs to sit a game

Old
11-29-2007, 12:42 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles