HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Approves Schedule Change

Old
12-01-2007, 06:32 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
As I understand it, this means we will be seeing our Divisional rivals less, not more, in order for us to see more of the other teams in a season, so we can see all of the "stars" we might not get a chance to see now. I love the Isles/ Devils/ Philly games that drip with emotion that evolves into hatred when they see each other 8 times a season. Who cares if I don't see Jarome Iginla? It also means I have to suffer through way too many teams/mediocre players in this over-expanded league. I'd rather see more of the teams I love to hate.
I'm with you 100%. The western conference games are the first games I look to unload every year. I have very little interest in seeing those teams unless it is the Stanley Cup Finals. The ONLY time I was looking forward to a game against a Western team was when Mess played in Vancouver.

On the other hand, this will make it a little easier to plan a trip to see them in Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Denver, Anaheim, and LA. Ah, what the hell, might as well hit all the Western Conference teams. But, Vancouver, Chicago, and Detroit are tops on the list.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 06:35 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
How soon we forget....just a few years ago fans were moaning that mid-season games against opponents they rarely saw were lifeless and without intensity. Unless a game developed some "at the moment snarl," the result of a dirty hit, a fight, etc.,.........the games were often boring.
The Dallas game was an example, it started at at a very low intensity level, put luckily did pick up as the game went on. I remember many, if not most, out of conference games, did not work out so well. As a matter of fact, the home games against non-traditional foes often worked to the Rangers detriment as many teams, turned on by playing on the big stage at MSG brought their a-game which the Rangers couldn't match.
I much prefer 8 games vs. divisional opponents...they have the most intensity and the most emotion. Traditional rivalries are the best: I go back to the days of the Original 6 where every game was a traditional rivalry and was intense. You played each of the other teams 14 times (14 X 5 = 70 game season), often back to back. Memories were short and intensity high,
Prediction: in a few years, fans will be moaning about the lack of intensity in inter-conference games and demanding more games vs divisional teams. I'll do w/o seeing Anaheim or Vancouver or whoever as long as I can see the Devs, Ilse, and Flyers more.
The schedule change is a big mistake.
What a beautiful and acurate post. This is more than a post, it is a piece of poetry.

Old
12-01-2007, 06:39 AM
patnyrnyg

What I think is ridiculous, is in the article they admit that the division games get the best attendance. So, each team will lose four home division games per year just to get to see Crobsy once every other year instead of every third year? So, the old way it was 48 division games and once versus Crosby in 3 years. So, in a 6-year cycle you will have a total of 98 sell-outs or near sell-outs. Now in 6 years it will be 75 sell-out or near sell-outs? 12 division home games per year plus 3 games against Crosby? Whoever was for this NEEDS to take a math class.

Old
12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
This change was clearly for the benefit of large markets in the central and west. Chicago, LA, Vancouver, Dallas, etc. will get a few more viewers to tune in if they know they'll see Jagr, Lecavelier, Crosby, etc. at least once a year.
For those of us living in large markets in the west, this is a very good thing. You can only watch Edmonton and Calgary so much. As while attendance won't get a boost here (Minnesota sells out every game) you would be amazed at the buzz around town when Crosby played here in October. For one day, hockey was on the front page of every newspaper and the lips of every radio and television personality. Sort of like when Gretzky used to come to town.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 10:00 AM
ap215

I have no problem with the schedule change i'm fine with this.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 10:34 AM
xevious

Good, now the Rangers will visit the state where I live.

xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:28 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
For those of us living in large markets in the west, this is a very good thing. You can only watch Edmonton and Calgary so much. As while attendance won't get a boost here (Minnesota sells out every game) you would be amazed at the buzz around town when Crosby played here in October. For one day, hockey was on the front page of every newspaper and the lips of every radio and television personality. Sort of like when Gretzky used to come to town.
So, they are making a change so hockey can be the talk of the town for one day per city? Sounds like a great idea.

Old
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
broadwayblue

The more I think about this the more I dislike it. Basically here's what we as Rangers fans end up with as a result:

4 more late starts (10pm)
4 fewer HD games

What's good about that?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 01:15 PM
DontStepanMe

I don't mind it at all. In fact I love the idea that we get to play Detroit, Chicago and Colorado every year. I enjoy watching them play those teams.

Plus it will help the good teams separate from the bad teams in the standings, allowing for more trades. Now if you are in a bad division it won't be as easy to get such a higher ranking by killing the teams in your division.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 09:09 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
So, they are making a change so hockey can be the talk of the town for one day per city? Sounds like a great idea.
No they are making a change because only the Atlantic and Northeast Divisions benefit from having long established rivalries. There are some great rivalries in the west -- Detroit/Colorado, St. Louis/Dallas and the battle of Alberta but that is the exception rather than the rule. I was listening to someone from Carolina today talking about how sick they are of playing Washington and Florida. Pretty much the same throughout the west. I've lived in Los Angeles, Phoenix and Minnesota and you can only watch Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver so many teams. The old schedule works great in New York, Philadelphia and Boston but in few other places. Also the Canadian teams want to play more games against other Canadian teams. As a Ranger season ticket holder, I am disappointed because I love this schedule (and it is easy to sell tickets). As A Wild season ticket holder, I am estatic.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote