HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks/Hurricanes Prosposal

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 01:59 PM
Fedz

vCash: 500
Canucks/Hurricanes Prosposal

I may be a bit off, I just wanted to see what Fedorov's value is.

To Carolina: Fedor Fedorov
To Vancouver: Pavel Brendl

Both seem to have the same problem, maybe a change of scenery will help. What would the canucks need to add, if anything?

Old
01-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Hawkalyzer

Brendl has 3 pts in 2 games, dont think hes struggling

Old
01-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Fedz

Thats all because of one game, I know he has attitude problems also. So im not sure?

Old
01-18-2004, 02:59 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkalyzer
Brendl has 3 pts in 2 games, dont think hes struggling
Then you take a look at his career stats and you see he has 17 points in 60 games. I'd say that's a better judge of his career and how he has been fairing in the NHL than his 3 points in 2 games. The truth is, he hasn't made an impact in the NHL like most expected of him.

That being said, he still has more value and upside than Fedorov. Doesn't help the value of Fedor when Burke rips into him every month.

Old
01-18-2004, 03:16 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Then you take a look at his career stats and you see he has 17 points in 60 games. I'd say that's a better judge of his career and how he has been fairing in the NHL than his 3 points in 2 games. The truth is, he hasn't made an impact in the NHL like most expected of him.

That being said, he still has more value and upside than Fedorov. Doesn't help the value of Fedor when Burke rips into him every month.
this is first opportunity he has been given since carolina sent him down in preseason. that was the first time he was dealt with properly and it has shown in the last two games. the points didnt come in one game,btw. to judge a 22 year old on sixty games of primarily 3/4 line duty is kinda wrong, isnt it? i think this is his first chance to show what he can really do, and he is being given top line duties. its crazy for me to say that he will put these numbers for good, but i think this is the kind of play he can and will produce. he has changed the canes offense(lavi's new system has helped, too) in two games. the expectations of him are yours, not of canes fans who generally think he is still a top prospect. fedorov may be a player in the end, but right now there isnt much of a comparison. there has been no talk of bad attitude in any day of his career in carolina-so i dont think he has the baggage everyone assumes.

Old
01-18-2004, 04:39 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz

To Carolina: Fedor Fedorov

Both seem to have the same problem, maybe a change of scenery will help. What would the canucks need to add, if anything?
I would take Brendl over Fedorov. No doubt. Vancouver would have to add alot and all they would be acquiring is an aging prospect who has been abust in three different organizations. IMO, Fedor is a bonehead.

Old
01-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Plan 9

There is no way Brendl is dealt at this point. The kid is 22 and has been bounced around alot. Everyone here acts like he's a 30 something with no hope. Just drop it.

Old
01-18-2004, 05:35 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
There is no way Brendl is dealt at this point. The kid is 22 and has been bounced around alot. Everyone here acts like he's a 30 something with no hope. Just drop it.
mmmmm---there might be a reason why he has bounced around and why he has been up and down so much?

Brendl is worth more then Fedor--but not by much---Pavel is running out of chances---

Based on what is being said by the Hurracanes organization--they are feeding the media a lot of stories about how much Pavel Brendl has changed in six months---they are pouring it on a little thick for me to believe that Pavel has changed all that much

Old
01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark

Brendl is worth more then Fedor--but not by much---Pavel is running out of chances---
I'd say Fedor is running out of more chances then Pavel. Simply because Brendl was a top ten pick means he's going to be given every chance in Carolina, and even the next club after that.

As well, to say Brendl has more value then Fedor, but not by much, is ludacris.

They've both been in the same league for the majority of the season. One's a healthy scratch, the other is going to the all-star game.

01-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz

To Winnipeg: Fedor Fedorov

Better?

Old
01-18-2004, 06:46 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
this is first opportunity he has been given since carolina sent him down in preseason. that was the first time he was dealt with properly and it has shown in the last two games. the points didnt come in one game,btw. to judge a 22 year old on sixty games of primarily 3/4 line duty is kinda wrong, isnt it? i think this is his first chance to show what he can really do, and he is being given top line duties. its crazy for me to say that he will put these numbers for good, but i think this is the kind of play he can and will produce. he has changed the canes offense(lavi's new system has helped, too) in two games. the expectations of him are yours, not of canes fans who generally think he is still a top prospect. fedorov may be a player in the end, but right now there isnt much of a comparison. there has been no talk of bad attitude in any day of his career in carolina-so i dont think he has the baggage everyone assumes.
I couldn't agree more. As a Canuck fans, and fan of the Sedins no one knows players being written off more than I do.

I was responding to the comment that he wasn't struggling. Clearly he is struggling, otherwise as a 22 year old who was a top prospect and who may very well be he would be playing in the NHL for the past few seasons. Nowhere did I say that he was a bust nor would he turn into anything other than an AHL scorer.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:20 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
I couldn't agree more. As a Canuck fans, and fan of the Sedins no one knows players being written off more than I do.

I was responding to the comment that he wasn't struggling. Clearly he is struggling, otherwise as a 22 year old who was a top prospect and who may very well be he would be playing in the NHL for the past few seasons. Nowhere did I say that he was a bust nor would he turn into anything other than an AHL scorer.
i understand where your coming from, as a fan its frustrating cause he hasnt struggled at any point this year-he is supposed to go to the ahl allstar game. they just sent him down to develop and he has. im sure nuck fans wish the same could happen in some way to the sedins(not send them away-but somehow remove the pressure on them). there is no way for them to develop-they always have to play so well defensively and the pressure for them to score must be ridiculous. ive heard comments that they would have developed so much more offensively of they had stayed in sweden - thats probably true. you cant give up on them though, they are already very good players, the offense will come. i dont know about fedorov, they make it sound like HE has an attitude problem, is it true?

Old
01-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Phaze

At least Brendl has been scoring in the AHL in the past. Fedor's AHL numbers aren't even close to Brendl's, and Brendl has some excellent numbers in the AHL before his call up this year. Fedorov has been scratched in AHL games this year.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:38 PM
bandwagon

I think I should start off by introducing myself. I am new here and I am a Canuck fan, so if I'm way off base just bear with me and explain why I'm off base. Please no flaming...

This is a very intriguing proposal and I think that it has some "potential" and has some possibility of happening. As you guys have said, both Brendl and Fedorov have had slow starts to their NHL careers. Both are weak defensively and don't have a great attitude.

However, just because their situations are comparable doesn't mean that their value is. Fedorov has not been a big scorer at every level as Brendl has been. Brendl has more NHL experience and more success at the NHL level. But, it should be noted that he doesn't have much of either, just he has more than Fedorov does. Nevertheless, I think that those two factors serve to boost Brendl's value higher than Fedorov's. Now, there are issues with Fedorov that lower his value - his ten game suspension and the fact that Brian Burke apparently doesn't like him. And while I know that the Canucks are willing to move Fedorov, I'm not convinced that the 'Canes are looking to move Brendl seeing as he's still very young and has great potential.

In short, I doubt that the Canucks would be able to get Brendl, even if the sweetened the pot a bit by adding a pick or something.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagon
I think I should start off by introducing myself. I am new here and I am a Canuck fan, so if I'm way off base just bear with me and explain why I'm off base. Please no flaming...

This is a very intriguing proposal and I think that it has some "potential" and has some possibility of happening. As you guys have said, both Brendl and Fedorov have had slow starts to their NHL careers. Both are weak defensively and don't have a great attitude.

However, just because their situations are comparable doesn't mean that their value is. Fedorov has not been a big scorer at every level as Brendl has been. Brendl has more NHL experience and more success at the NHL level. But, it should be noted that he doesn't have much of either, just he has more than Fedorov does. Nevertheless, I think that those two factors serve to boost Brendl's value higher than Fedorov's. Now, there are issues with Fedorov that lower his value - his ten game suspension and the fact that Brian Burke apparently doesn't like him. And while I know that the Canucks are willing to move Fedorov, I'm not convinced that the 'Canes are looking to move Brendl seeing as he's still very young and has great potential.

In short, I doubt that the Canucks would be able to get Brendl, even if the sweetened the pot a bit by adding a pick or something.
i just think the canes really want brendl, it was tough to trade kapanen for him. they wouldnt give up on him already-hes only played 12 games for them. i dont see them having any interest in federov at all. certainly not for brendl. maybe they would give him a chance for a midround pick and put him lowell to see how he does.
brendl isnt going anywhere, he is exactly what the canes need right now, and the canucks are going to have a tough time getting ANY player for fedorov. i think they would have already.

Old
01-18-2004, 08:47 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

we tried this before, Josh Holden for Jeff Farkas.. did not work out.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:07 AM
bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
and the canucks are going to have a tough time getting ANY player for fedorov.
Indeed. His trade value is not very good at all, as the Canucks are looking to unload him (a major cause in lowering his trade value), he has attitude problems and doesn't get along with Canucks management and he hasn't proven squat, really. He's gotten hot a few times here and there in the minors and shows the odd flashes of skill, but is it enough to get us very much for him? No.

I think that it's possible that we could get a similar player to Fedorov who is in a similar situation - but how many prospects or players fit in that description? Not that many. A draft pick is an option, but I can't see us getting a very good one. I'd rather get a player who, like Fedorov, has some issues with his game and is on the outs with his team and cross my fingers and hope for the best. Maybe he'll pan out, maybe he won't. That's the risk that we will have to take.

But I see no reason why we should keep Fedorov. He can't get along with management or Stan Smyl, he just shows flashes of skill, doesn't have much work ethic or a great attitude. I say we trade this kid while we can get something for him.

Old
01-21-2004, 12:14 AM
bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
we tried this before, Josh Holden for Jeff Farkas.. did not work out.
So?

Did Holden pan out for the Canucks? No, he did absolutely nothing while he was here. Did he do anything for the Leafs? No, he's strictly a depth guy there.

Did Farkas pan out for us? No. Could he have? Yes.

My point is that Holden never worked out for us. We gambled and got Farkas for him, hoping that maybe Farkas could develop into an NHLer. He didn't, but Holden did no better in Toronto. We took a risk on a guy and it didn't work out.

Maybe we will do no better if we do a similar deal with Fedorov, but he's done nothing for us either. I'd rather try and get someone who could potentially contribute than keep Fedorov and hoping that he'll pan out. It seems more and more likely that he'll never be an NHL player.

Risk is a name of the game and just because a deal didn't work in the past doesn't mean that you shouldn't do a similar deal now.

Closed Thread