HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

laraque - am i the only one?

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 02:17 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
laraque - am i the only one?

ok i know that laraque hasnt played well AT ALL this season, i personally think its his worst full season ever..... he doesnt play with any grit, he doesnt fight and he sure as hell doesnt score..... i think that he should be traded because he is an asset that is not doing anything for the oilers in the least, BUT.....

i feel *bad* for him, hes just such a likeable person..... in the sun column today he was talking about how he is building a house in edmonton and that he wants to spend all his summers in edm and play here as long as possible, hell he even said he wanted to spend the rest of this life in the city..... hopefully the talk macT and him had will do something for his game (though personally i dont think it will), because i would really like to see the laraque of last playoffs be around for 3 out of every 4 games (you cant ask him to be there *every* game)..... i realize that is must be hard to bring that playoff emotion for most games, btu it sure would be nice for him to be able to

because if he cant start to do this more consistantly, i think hes outa here for sure.... and i think laraque and the city of edmonton would both lose in that deal (taking the oilers out of the situation completly)

Old
01-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Easilee 27

I don't think he's getting a very fair shot here. He plays two games on the road trip, is put in a no win situation in Philly, and gets benched, and gets benched for nothing against Washington. How can he do the things he needs to do when he doesn't get any time to get anything going? Poor use of a valuable commodity. Kind of like using Staios on the powerplay when he's so tired he can hardly move, while Bergeron, well rested, rests. I usually support Mac-T, but if he wasn't so worried about lippy fans we might have got a point last night.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Shizuka

I agree with the sentiment of your post wholeheartedly, Jadeddog. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Laraque has regressed to the point of being a liability on the ice. It almost seems like there is 0 effort on his part to catch opposing players, he is weak on the forecheck, not hitting anything, not intimidating anyone, etc. etc. He leaves the ice the fastest when the whistle goes at practice. This is not the behaviour of someone who wants to be a player on this team, I'm sorry.

Talk is cheap, as the old cliche goes...Laraque needs to put together a consistent effort on the ice, both in games and in practice, and show he is committed to being a player and not just a limited 5 minute fighter type of player. He is capable of it, but patience with him is nearly at its end (both for fans and management). I, like you, also do not believe he will turn it around, and expect him to be moved within the next month or so. That is a shame but what else is there to do?

Old
01-18-2004, 02:39 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

If we were the Rangers or Philly or any team that has money, Laraque would probably spend his entire career here...I don't have anything against Laraque but he's the odd man out. We just have too many forwards and we have a grip of youngsters pushing for a starting job as well.
It doesn't make sense for us to keep him anymore unless he starts contributing.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:39 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
2 of the last 3 games he hasn't played the other team has ran around hitting everything that moves. The Oilers got out of the Florida game without anyone being beat up but in Nashville 3 guys lost fights. If Georges was in it would have been a different game physically. Nashville would not play nearly as physical.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:43 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydrop
2 of the last 3 games he hasn't played the other team has ran around hitting everything that moves. The Oilers got out of the Florida game without anyone being beat up but in Nashville 3 guys lost fights. If Georges was in it would have been a different game physically. Nashville would not play nearly as physical.
I agree having him in the lineup makes players think twice about even touching an Oiler player.

Old
01-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Hemsky01

I'm in the keep Laraque club. The problem with Laraque is we all have (including the Edmonton coaching staff) this idea that he will turn into a 20-goal 3rd line forward. Not going to happen. He is a 4th line 10-goal enforcer (the best in the league I might add) and this misconception is what is hurting him. Play him 10 min. a game on the 4th line regularly for the next 15 games and I think our opinions of him will all change. Just one Oiler fan's opinion.

Old
01-18-2004, 03:38 PM
oildrop

I don't think the Oilers should keep this guy around. Laraque is overpaid and doesn't deserve to be making $1.25million for what he brings to the team. He does NOT know his role and he's always trying to make absurd predictions of getting 20 goals a season. He thinks he's a goal scorer for some reason and he thinks he is sitting because he's not putting up goals. He's sitting because he doesn't know his role and he doesn't play the role he is supposed to. He's supposed to be the enforcer of this team and make big hits when the team needs a lift. The Oilers could use the money Laraque is making much more wisely. Guys like Chimera($500,000) and Horcoff($800,000) are much cheaper then Laraque and more valuable to the team when in the lineup.

I don't agree with the "teams think twice about hitting our players when Laraque is playing." Laraque doesn't protect his teammates or go after guys that injure our players on questionable hits or plays. That is what Laraque is here for. To hit and scare the opposition but he doesn't do this. I'm not saying Laraque has to go run players but he does have to set the tone and he has yet to do it in any game in the past 2 years.

Old
01-18-2004, 03:50 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
Florida and Nashville both played way more physical than they would have if Georges was in. It's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt because of how much more physical teams will be.

Georges' presence helps his teammates.

Chimera is not all that much of a contributor either, the guy has 3 goals. Big deal, how come he gets so much credit. He's also a punching bag.

Old
01-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Walsher

Ya lets keep Laraque. I mean 1.4 + mil for a useless fighter with zero offensive thats a savy business move. Lets face it - Laraque is a nice guy but a far below average hockey player. Move him while teams are interested.

Old
01-18-2004, 04:00 PM
jadeddog

yeah as much as i like BG, i dont think hes a deterant for other teams at all.... hes had, what, 7-8 fights this year? he should be getting into 20-25 a year at the *minimum* for him to truly be our enforcer

Old
01-18-2004, 04:02 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
He's proven he is as good as any other enforcer offensively and is the best fighter in the league.

He's had a bad stretch, 31 games, half of them with a broken hand and he has to go. MacT blabs about what Georges need to do but doesnt give him the chance to do it.

Play him or trade him because he should be playing everyday in the NHL.

maybe 2 guys a year get in over 20 fights. Hes clearly a deterrent. Would Hordichuk run around all night if Georges was playing? No

Old
01-18-2004, 04:18 PM
oildrop

Quote:
He's proven he is as good as any other enforcer offensively and is the best fighter in the league.

He's had a bad stretch, 31 games, half of them with a broken hand and he has to go. MacT blabs about what Georges need to do but doesnt give him the chance to do it.

Play him or trade him because he should be playing everyday in the NHL.

maybe 2 guys a year get in over 20 fights. Hes clearly a deterrent. Would Hordichuk run around all night if Georges was playing? No
Actually, yes Hordichuk probably would have been running around still. Laraque doesn't do anything to these types of guys. He doesn't hit or try to send a message to the Tuckers/Hordichucks/Tyson Nash's of the League. Laraque is not the enforcer he should be. It's time for the Oilers to trade this guy, he's just a waste of money, IMO.

Old
01-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Actually, yes Hordichuk probably would have been running around still. Laraque doesn't do anything to these types of guys. He doesn't hit or try to send a message to the Tuckers/Hordichucks/Tyson Nash's of the League. Laraque is not the enforcer he should be. It's time for the Oilers to trade this guy, he's just a waste of money, IMO.
His situation looks more and more like that of Louie Debrusk. Every year he makes a 20-20 prediciton. He seems more concerned about his "offensive" game when all he has is size. No hands, no moves, no talent. He is a high priced fighter. The Oilers can't afford a high priced anything let alone fighter.

Old
01-18-2004, 04:30 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
His situation looks more and more like that of Louie Debrusk. Every year he makes a 20-20 prediciton. He seems more concerned about his "offensive" game when all he has is size. No hands, no moves, no talent. He is a high priced fighter. The Oilers can't afford a high priced anything let alone fighter.
Exaclty!

Old
01-18-2004, 04:42 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
Oildrop, did Hordichuk do any running around last year? You probably dont even realize he played against the Oil 4 times last year. He got his ass kicked by Georges once and that was that he didnt do anything any other game.

As for the 20-20 predictions, he's just ****ing around. He wants to produce offensively but Im sure he knows he wont get 40 points. He can however produce enough to justify playing.

Georges has been hurt for most of his games and hasnt played in basically 11 games. If MacT is going to rip him then give him a chance. Play him for 5 games, if he doesnt play well then trade him.

Old
01-18-2004, 04:46 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Oildrop, did Hordichuk do any running around last year? You probably dont even realize he played against the Oil 4 times last year. He got his ass kicked by Georges once and that was that he didnt do anything any other game.

As for the 20-20 predictions, he's just ****ing around. He wants to produce offensively but Im sure he knows he wont get 40 points. He can however produce enough to justify playing.

Georges has been hurt for most of his games and hasnt played in basically 11 games. If MacT is going to rip him then give him a chance. Play him for 5 games, if he doesnt play well then trade him.
The Oilers have played him in 5 straight games before and he did nothing at all so that's why he is sitting right now. He has done NOTHING with his opportunities this year and he's had plenty of them. Laraque even said his hand wasn't sore a month ago, then he played a couple games and did nothing. The Oilers record is pretty darn poor when Laraque is in the lineup compared to when he isn't.

Old
01-18-2004, 04:51 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
Quote:
The Oilers have played him in 5 straight games before and he did nothing at all so that's why he is sitting right now. He has done NOTHING with his opportunities this year and he's had plenty of them. Laraque even said his hand wasn't sore a month ago, then he played a couple games and did nothing. The Oilers record is pretty darn poor when Laraque is in the lineup compared to when he isn't.
show me the records with and without. I'll bet their winning % is very similar, he hasnt cost them a game all year. from the time his hand healed to the time he got benched he had 3 points and 4 fights in about 12 games. Georges is the smallest reason for this teams poor play.

Old
01-18-2004, 04:59 PM
oildrop

Quote:
show me the records with and without. I'll bet their winning % is very similar, he hasnt cost them a game all year. from the time his hand healed to the time he got benched he had 3 points and 4 fights in about 12 games. Georges is the smallest reason for this teams poor play.
You asked for it and here is the proof that Laraque is not usefull on this team.

With Laraque IN the Lineup the Oilers are 9-16-6

With Laraque OUT of the Lineup the Oilers are 9-4-1-1

So no, the winning% is not even close.

Old
01-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Matts

Don't The Preds

lead the league in fighting majors? They're not gonna change their approach because of 27. Why would Tootoo stop running around? It's not like 27 is gonna grab him and pound him. Only thing would've been different is there would've been four fights with the additional one being BG/McKenzie.

Old
01-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Walsher

Quote:
You asked for it and here is the proof that Laraque is not usefull on this team.

With Laraque IN the Lineup the Oilers are 9-16-6

With Laraque OUT of the Lineup the Oilers are 9-4-1-1

So no, the winning% is not even close.
To me that puts an end to all the arguments. The numbers don't lie.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:34 PM
gretzky2kurri

Every pre-season I get excited hoping this guy shows up looking like a hockey player......but every year he shows up looking like a football player.

He's too big. Cumbersome as hell. Confused about role STILL.

I'm not convinced ANY message sinks very far into George. The latest must have stung, but I don't think it will be a turning point in his career.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:47 PM
capebretonoilers

Honestly--where could you insert him into the lineup-?-the 4th line has been decent of late without him..

Old
01-18-2004, 06:51 PM
barto

Quote:
So? Now you know the record with and without BG in the lineup. Got any other suggestions as to why Georges is needed here? The way he's been playing this season doesn't add anything to the lineup. You've seen it yourself most nights - Georges follows some "code" of enforcing where he won't pick on anyone smaller, he plans out the occasional fight well in advance of the game (what kind of 'message' does that send to the players on the other team?), and doesn't do a thing when a team-mate gets hit hard.

If Lowe can get anything useful for BG, it's time for him to go.

Bart

Old
01-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Every pre-season I get excited hoping this guy shows up looking like a hockey player......but every year he shows up looking like a football player.

He's too big. Cumbersome as hell. Confused about role STILL.

I'm not convinced ANY message sinks very far into George. The latest must have stung, but I don't think it will be a turning point in his career.
Like Barnes said...he's 27 going on 18.

I'm of the 'give him one last chance' school. If he hasn't gotten the message this time, then hasta la vista.

Closed Thread