HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Correct ways to lift for a hockey player?

Old
12-03-2007, 01:26 AM
lotus

vCash: 500
Correct ways to lift for a hockey player?

Okay, I have been going to the gym for a little bit with my brother and sometimes with a friend of mine so they can show me the ropes a bit...but they're both power lifters. I look at them and go "if Pavel Bure was that big, i would still be faster than him every which way possible". Of course I don't want to be as big as them, but is it true that if I don't really lift like a hockey player, I'll slow down?

Speed is a part of my game, and I can usually have a slight advantage over someone else speed-wise whenever I push myself, so the slightest loss of speed or acceleration would kill me.

I've read so much on hockey conditioning and I can't get much from it all. I've been trying to come up with a good routine that I can follow that will just make me stronger on my skates, a little bit bigger, give me more power on my shots, etc etc, without slowing me down.

Should I be careful who I have making my routine?

Thanks.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Stealthmode16

Your gonna have to lift pretty damn hard to get "too big". If you focus on lifting and nothing else you will slow down, but if you have a lifting routine and couple that with a good cardio routine you will be golden.

Squat
Bench
Pull
Deadlift

If you're serious about getting stronger, work these areas. Find someone who can show you the proper technique, you friends probably won't do. Ask a personal trainer or someone who knows the ropes well. Explain your situation to them aswell.

Work less weight and more reps than your friends, eat !!!!CLEAN!!!!
Don't let up on your cardio and just watch your progress and adjust things as needed as you go.

Don't worry about getting "too big". It's not as easy as it sounds and the extra leg/core strength will only make you faster and harder to move.

Stealthmode16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthmode16 View Post
Your gonna have to lift pretty damn hard to get "too big". If you focus on lifting and nothing else you will slow down, but if you have a lifting routine and couple that with a good cardio routine you will be golden.

Squat
Bench
Pull
Deadlift

If you're serious about getting stronger, work these areas. Find someone who can show you the proper technique, you friends probably won't do. Ask a personal trainer or someone who knows the ropes well. Explain your situation to them aswell.

Work less weight and more reps than your friends, eat !!!!CLEAN!!!!
Don't let up on your cardio and just watch your progress and adjust things as needed as you go.

Don't worry about getting "too big". It's not as easy as it sounds and the extra leg/core strength will only make you faster and harder to move.
This is very good advice. Unless you're doing the exact same things to get as big as the top power lifters in the world you'll be fine.

I lift solely for size & strength and it hasn't hurt my speed in the least. In fact, it's helped me get much faster and stronger.

I still change up my routines every 8 weeks, but a great majority of the time, I don't do any set past 8 reps.

When I started lifting I was 20 years old and weighed 175 lbs. I'm 33 now and weigh 215 (I'm a hard gainer). I'm much faster now at 33 than I was at 20. And I have a lot more strength in my shot and passing.

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 12:47 PM
ean

lift compound, lift heavy, lift RIGHT. and don't forget to EAT and rest. simple formula if you can follow it.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Jake1999

you could always do your routine like you play hockey. Go hard for 1 minute to two minutes rest for 30 seconds. I like to do that with my calf and leg muscles because i feel it helps them to fire faster.

Jake1999 is offline   Reply With Quote