HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

GDT: 12/1/07. Washington Capitals at Florida Panthers. BankAtlantic Center. 7p.m.

Old
12-01-2007, 08:39 PM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
you're taking me a little out of context, i was a little broad with my statement. i don't wanna flame w/ you cause i think you're an intelligent poster and you obviously know what you're talking about.

my point is the score could be 4-0 (and it has been) and OV is still going full tilt up and down the ice trying to make plays. can't say i see nyls or kozlov doing that.

that's all i'm saying here.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Was actually rooting for the Caps at the end. The Panthers were so pathetic tonight, other than Vokoun, they simply didn't deserve to win that game. Or get a point by tying. If not for T-Vo, that would've been a 6-1 game probably.

It doesn't help that we lost Cullimore early, but still, that was terrible.

12-01-2007, 08:48 PM
txpd

You may have missed the hockey season to this point, but the Caps make every goaltender look like George Vezina. Making a lot of saves vs the Caps doesnt say a lot.

Caps do that in almost every game. If they could score at a rate near the league average they would be over .500.
Caps are currently 8th in the NHL in shots on goal. They are now 8th in the conference in goals against. Yet they are second to last in the league in goals and by virtue last in the nhl in standings points.

It happens that way every night.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Holy **** the Panther commentators are so horrible, every time a Cap touched a Panther they were whinning about it.

Good win tonite. Ovie with another 2 points. Johnny played very good.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Holy **** the Panther commentators are so horrible, every time a Cap touched a Panther they were whinning about it.

Good win tonite. Ovie with another 2 points. Johnny played very good.
That has more to do with some major non-calls the last several games. The Panthers were getting 1 PP to the opposing teams' 5 or 6 a game. Some things should've been called, going both ways, but they weren't.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 09:14 PM
pgreene

laing has 8 blocked shots in two games (including two in the last seconds tonight). when gordon's back, bradley or brash better start enjoying the view from the press box.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 09:16 PM
txpd

Laing=Nycolat...remember what happened with him.

Old
12-01-2007, 09:46 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Nyco was playing 1st pair D and #1 PP unit at one point. I don't think Laing would have as far to fall from a pk and checking line roll.

Laing was looking sharp - Petty better watch his azz..

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 10:27 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
laing has 8 blocked shots in two games (including two in the last seconds tonight). when gordon's back, bradley or brash better start enjoying the view from the press box.
i think he did really well last game. and if he continues to play well, should get a spot.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 10:46 PM
malyk

Laing definitely looks good in the checking role. The fact that he seemingly doesn't care what beating he takes is great. I really like the way he has played.

Whether there is room for him is a completely different story. Laich or pettinger would probably have to be moved (to hershey or in a trade) for Laing to stick. A Laing - Steckel - Gordon line looks pretty darn good to me though.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
That has more to do with some major non-calls the last several games. The Panthers were getting 1 PP to the opposing teams' 5 or 6 a game. Some things should've been called, going both ways, but they weren't.
Potvin does that every game. Potvin makes Florida's announce team one of the bottom 5 in the league.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Please people...don't get all excited about another 3rd/4th liner in Laing....even though he's played pretty well. I love how he gave up the body in the last minute.

Anyways....big win. One of these days, someone other than Ovy and 1 secondary scorer will start coming through and we'll get some easier wins.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovechkin1 View Post
Maybe his frustration is starting to show.
Not many Caps are stepping it up to right the sinking ship, but you cant say that about Ovey. He looks to be on a mission again this year. Its great seeing him out there at the end down 2-1, he is busting it on D these days... maybe he didnt want to be outdone by Backstrom. The empty netter is almost automatic if OV gets the puck.

Our new top line was on for another 2 at even strength tonight.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 12-02-2007 at 12:14 AM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 12:20 AM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Bears fans weren't too pleased when we took their Captain last season, they're hoping the same thing doesn't happen with Laing this year.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
SwOOsh*

after watching that game I kinda wished I didn't, even though the caps won.... Florida has to be the most boring team in the league wow

SwOOsh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 01:23 AM
pkavpro14

Send a message via AIM to pkavpro14
A very good win for the caps tonite. A couple of notes to point out:

- 1st line had a great nite. dont seperate them

- i like laing a lot. great at pk and blocking shots

- jurcina has seemed to gain his confidence back playing with poti

- johnson looked good

- semin showed some flashes of his old self. Over time he will get back to dominating the game

pkavpro14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Pettinger will knock one in soon. He's playing quite well...nobody needs to be ragging on him.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 02:01 AM
hat8433

Laing>>>>>Pettinger

Pettinger's role on this team is to be an defensive forward who can chip in every once in a while, and he's at the point where he chips in almost never. Laing's not gonna be an offensive guy either, but he's miles ahead of Pettinger on the defensive side. I think the Bruce should keep Quintin a little longer, after Gordon comes back, to see how well they would work together.

hat8433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 03:10 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat8433 View Post
Laing>>>>>Pettinger

Pettinger's role on this team is to be an defensive forward who can chip in every once in a while, and he's at the point where he chips in almost never. Laing's not gonna be an offensive guy either, but he's miles ahead of Pettinger on the defensive side. I think the Bruce should keep Quintin a little longer, after Gordon comes back, to see how well they would work together.
Not until Laing starts to score.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 03:26 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Please people...don't get all excited about another 3rd/4th liner in Laing....even though he's played pretty well. I love how he gave up the body in the last minute.

Anyways....big win. One of these days, someone other than Ovy and 1 secondary scorer will start coming through and we'll get some easier wins.
Agreed. While he has exceeded my expectations and it's good for the org to have depth like that down there in Hershey, he's just another 'Body'. Too bad for him that he doesn't do faceoffs. It limits his flexibility and usefullness.

That said. I was happily surprised by him.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

You know, the irony is last year this time everyone was sweating Erskine's jock (Myself included) after one good game in Carolina and a game or two after that where he added some toughness to the team.

i don't particularly think he had a "bad" game by any means in the last two. i think he played as advertised, but at the same time, there wasn't anything that leads me to believe he'll be a revelation for this team.

What he does say is, why hasn't the PK been any good in the past? If a castoff AHLer can bust his butt to block shots and pressure the other team, why can't the others on this team do so? The Laichs, the Bradleys, the Pettingers, and so forth. Why is the PK Bad at times when we have 5-6 guys who can do pretty much what Laing does (though I don't really see most of them diving to block shots if they can avoid it)

Though if Laing starts scoring, then you could lookout. Until then, forget it.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwOOsh View Post
after watching that game I kinda wished I didn't, even though the caps won.... Florida has to be the most boring team in the league wow
You should have had to sit through the game on Wednesday. The only thing worse than watching Florida on TV is watching them in person after the beer sales are cut off.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
txpd

Laing is a shot blocker. That is the skill that he brings at a major league level. The rest of his game is probably not at that level and that is why he won't stick. Teams will see his game on the scout video and scouting report his skill out of the game.

That said, Sutherby was not that kind of player and had he been in the lineup that would not have happened.

BTW, did anyone notice OV's stick use while blocking shots at the end of that game?
He went goalie with his stick.

Old
12-02-2007, 09:44 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Not until Laing starts to score.
Well he only needs 1 to tie Petty in goals

We all scored as many points as Petty did in November..... 0

EYEuhFRAYtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 10:31 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
You know, the irony is last year this time everyone was sweating Erskine's jock (Myself included) after one good game in Carolina and a game or two after that where he added some toughness to the team.

Erskine awakened a soft boring apathetic team upon his callup last fall. We were the last team in he league to get a fighthing major and outside of Ovey, were very boring to watch. He instantly changed the dynamic of the team even with his dulled skate blades. Coaches saw that and he never went back to Hershey despite the fact that he CANT skate. That says a lot in itself. We played like a bunch of sissies until he came here, coincidence or not.

I would say that Laing could have a similar effect, except that Steckel has already brought that blue collar team first dirty work aspect this year. Its just that laing has no teeth so he sells the role better to unknowing fans. He'll go back when Gordon comes back.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 12-02-2007 at 10:42 AM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote