HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Do you support trading Ryan Smyth?

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of trading Ryan Smyth?
Yes 40 32.00%
No 54 43.20%
Undecided 18 14.40%
metallicat sucks 13 10.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 05:52 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
Do you support trading Ryan Smyth?

Under any circumstances?

Old
01-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Cujo_31

No..he's the heart & soul of this team & the fans would be devastated as would the team, if he were traded. I want Smyth to remain an Oiler 4 Life!!!

Old
01-18-2004, 06:06 PM
The Rage

I would have said yes, but I couldn't resist the fourth option .

Old
01-18-2004, 06:07 PM
zamboni

I don't support a Smyth trade quite yet, so I went with metallicat sucks. (Not because I dislike you, but because it's on there).

Old
01-18-2004, 06:12 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
If you can do a deal that helps both now and in the future... I don't see why not...

That being said, a trade just for the sake of trading him is just nuts.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
No..he's the heart & soul of this team & the fans would be devastated as would the team, if he were traded. I want Smyth to remain an Oiler 4 Life!!!
If he's the heart and soul, why was the heart and soul benched for the entire 3rd period and OT?

Up until this year I would've agreed with you...but it just can't be ignored that his play has not been up to par. Obviously he's not the sole reason for why this team is where it is, but too many times this year he's looked like part of the problem instead of part of the solution like in previous campaigns.

He's playing like his mind and/or heart is elsewhere right now.

Oh yeah...yes I would trade Ryan Smyth, but like DB said, not on a whim. It has to make sense.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:16 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
on pace for 50 points, cost the Oilers the game in Long Island and was a big part of them losing in Columbus with his stupid penalties.

Why is he the heart and soul? Mike York is the heart and soul of this team. Without him they are in big trouble.

Even if he is the heart and soul who cares. Gretzky, Messier, Weight and many other were considered the heart and soul but life went on when they left.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:16 PM
The Rage

HOw is it possible to have only 7 views, yet 17 votes?

Old
01-18-2004, 06:23 PM
WFHACommish

NO NO NO NO and NO...why trade him? If we did, it prolly be for younger players. And you know what, I'm getting tired of always getting younger. I'm holding Lowe to his word that he won't trade our best players after the CBA, if the CBA turns out in our favour.

The reason why he's having a sub-par season is..He's playing with new linemates this year. Gone are Carter and Comrie. As well, at the beginning of the season, he was playing at C. Have we all forgotten? Take it easy on him, he kept his mouth shut. Did what was asked of him.

He's the heart and soul of this team and I think he's the longest serving Oiler. I hope we don't trade him. He'll win the Cup with Oilers a few years down the road. And then we'll retire his jersey after his days are over.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
He'll win the Cup with Oilers a few years down the road. And then we'll retire his jersey after his days are over.
After the bad penalties he took tonight, he'd BETTER. :p

You have to admit though, when the team's highest paid forward is benched for the entire 3rd period and OT in a tight game that's key to your playoff hopes...that doesn't look good on him.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:31 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
I hate listening to people say he's playing with bad line mates. He is supposed to be the best player, he is supposed to make other players better and he doesnt at all.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Mr Sakich

for vinny or O'neil, no problem.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:09 PM
o98

Send a message via MSN to o98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
HOw is it possible to have only 7 views, yet 17 votes?
It's called Floridian vote counting

I'd only support trading Smyth if it meant the player coming back is a legitimate top line scoring forward to most teams in the league. Who that is, I dunno.

Of course, he did have a bad game. That sort of thing happens. This season more than usual for Ryan. Hopefully he can rebound, and soon.

Last edited by o98: 01-18-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old
01-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydrop
I hate listening to people say he's playing with bad line mates. He is supposed to be the best player, he is supposed to make other players better and he doesnt at all.
That is a main point of mine. Mike York is so far and away the heart and soul of this team. Why do people call Smytty that? He is the image of this team. On HNIC if the Oilers are playing it is "Ryan Smyth and the Edmonton Oilers face off against so and so." Why is he the heart and soul? Because he has been there forever? Because he played with great players? Because he is the only Oilers draft that didn't amount to Bonsignore like players? He isn't the heart and soul. He doesn't bleed Oilers blue. How come cliches are all that can describe him as a player? He plays every shift like it was his last, wearing his heart on his sleeve. What does that mean? So did Buchberger yet he wasn't the saviour. Smyth is turning into a glorified Buchberger. PK, mucker, dumb penalties, lack of offense, but he wears that "C" and the fans really love him!!! Ryan Smyth has played with the best players the Oilers have had since he entered the league. His stats are grossly flattering based on the talent he actually has. I have said it before, if he does what makes him successful he can be a very effective player (if with the right personnell). He does not have the talent to be "the man" on any team. Mike York makes people play well with him, Doug Weight makes people play well with him. Ryan Smyth is capable of playing well with those players but not capable of dominating without those other players. This is why his production has stalled. He needs to be moved. He will bring return to this team. IMO his ability to lead this team has vanished as soon as Mike York emerged as the superior player. Smyth seems reluctant to accept this new role and thus his play has become selfish and unproductive.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:49 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
That is a main point of mine. Mike York is so far and away the heart and soul of this team. Why do people call Smytty that? He is the image of this team. On HNIC if the Oilers are playing it is "Ryan Smyth and the Edmonton Oilers face off against so and so." Why is he the heart and soul? Because he has been there forever? Because he played with great players? Because he is the only Oilers draft that didn't amount to Bonsignore like players? He isn't the heart and soul. He doesn't bleed Oilers blue. How come cliches are all that can describe him as a player? He plays every shift like it was his last, wearing his heart on his sleeve. What does that mean? So did Buchberger yet he wasn't the saviour. Smyth is turning into a glorified Buchberger. PK, mucker, dumb penalties, lack of offense, but he wears that "C" and the fans really love him!!! Ryan Smyth has played with the best players the Oilers have had since he entered the league. His stats are grossly flattering based on the talent he actually has. I have said it before, if he does what makes him successful he can be a very effective player (if with the right personnell). He does not have the talent to be "the man" on any team. Mike York makes people play well with him, Doug Weight makes people play well with him. Ryan Smyth is capable of playing well with those players but not capable of dominating without those other players. This is why his production has stalled. He needs to be moved. He will bring return to this team. IMO his ability to lead this team has vanished as soon as Mike York emerged as the superior player. Smyth seems reluctant to accept this new role and thus his play has become selfish and unproductive.

That is exactly how I feel about him

Old
01-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Rooks Oilers

I voted NO! My answer is in other Ryan Smyth bashing threads on these boards somewhere! To be honest with you all I am getting sick of all the SMYTTY bashing! I know you have the right to express how you feel and I won't deny you of that! In my OPINION I will bash this TEAM, because thats what this sport is (about the team) not an individual! Sure I will agree Smytty's numbers are down and he has taken some penalties but those are far the reasons to trade the guy!

Rooks Oilers

Old
01-18-2004, 08:47 PM
bodydrop

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers
I voted NO! My answer is in other Ryan Smyth bashing threads on these boards somewhere! To be honest with you all I am getting sick of all the SMYTTY bashing! I know you have the right to express how you feel and I won't deny you of that! In my OPINION I will bash this TEAM, because thats what this sport is (about the team) not an individual! Sure I will agree Smytty's numbers are down and he has taken some penalties but those are far the reasons to trade the guy!

Rooks Oilers

He is a guy that is supposed to take the team on his back and win them some games. He doesnt do that, he loses them more then he wins.

Old
01-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Simple, No

Trading Smyth does nothing to help this team. He's 2nd in goals, 13th in the league for shots and in the top 60 players in the league for goals. Does he have to get smarter with his play yes, but statically Ryan is doing fine.

I think a few people are expecting Ryan to be our Nasland and carry this team .. well its no suprise .. Ryan isn't a super-star, but he isn't an average nhl'er either. Ryan is an above average player making above average dollars and producing above stats (whats the league average 1.8M ? )

What we need is other players to step up (and a healthy defensive core)
I really like that Isbister has been stepping but I would like to still see others
such as Laraque and Oates improve there production and game.

PT

Last edited by Patch101: 01-18-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old
01-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Hemsky4PM

Anyone can be traded if the return is high enough.
Smyth was terrible in the game against Anaheim last week. Didn't even battle for lose pucks! He seemed disinterested which isn't good.

Also, money talks. Smyth is the second highest paid player on the team. Salo has answered his critics the last month or so. Smyth needs to step it up and do the same.

Old
01-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Strapping Jocks

I voted 'no', simply because Smyth has more value to the Oil than to other teams. We wouldn't get enough of a return from trading him.

Old
01-19-2004, 01:00 PM
USC Trojans
AD

If the return is good...then I would reluctantly trade him.
I never thought that the Oilers would be doing this but after Marchant left, anything can happen.
He's really struggling this season and I hope that he turns it around cause I don't want to see him traded.

Old
01-19-2004, 03:51 PM
bucksoil

Quote:
Ryan Smyth has played with the best players the Oilers have had since he entered the league.
His stats are grossly flattering based on the talent he actually has.
He does not have the talent to be "the man" on any team.
Ryan Smyth is capable of playing well with those players but not capable of dominating without those other players.
At this point, I'm indifferent... if the trade helps us out, great. Although Smyth is signed, so it would have to be a good return.

However, I must comment on a few of the points above. I'd just like to point out a few things:
1) In 1996-97, the 39 goal breakout year, Smyth's linemates for 5on5 play were most often Mats Lindgren and Kelly Buchburger. Factoring out his 19 powerplay goals, he still scored 20 at even strength. The vast majority came with these linemates (including an extended hotstreak through December of that year). He rarely played with Weight at full strength, and didn't click as well when playing with Arnott....
I'm pretty sure that Buchburger and Lindgren were not inflating his numbers by dishing him sweet tap-ins. That line was successful because Buchy and Smyth controlled the boards, Lindgren could put the puck on net, and Smyth could bang in rebounds and step out from behind the net for a wrap around.
2) Comrie and Carter carried Smyth? I'm sorry, but I didn't see that. That line was the hottest in the league before Smyth went down to injury. Comrie seemed to keep it going a bit, but not at anywhere near the earlier pace, and Carter fell off the map. If Smyth was so dispensible, and simply benefitting from their skill, how come Horcoff and Moreau and Murray couldn't simply step in and benefit from Smyth's icetime?
3) His stats are grossly flattering for his talent level? If his talent is so insignificant, how did he get drafted #6 overall? Did his PeeWee linemates feed him those 200 goals, and then afterthat he simply was dragged along (right up to the draft) by his junior linemates? Come on... don't be so absurd.

Old
01-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Meanashell11

Agree with bucksoil. Ryan is having a tough season. He will come back and we will be the better for it. They can trade weight, they can trade janne, they can lose marchant and trade salo, although those were/would be tough, but if the Oil trade Ryan Smyth then they have lied through their teeth that playing for the Oilers means more than playing for other NHL teams. Ryan is the heart and soul of this team and he is just trying to do too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksoil
At this point, I'm indifferent... if the trade helps us out, great. Although Smyth is signed, so it would have to be a good return.

However, I must comment on a few of the points above. I'd just like to point out a few things:
1) In 1996-97, the 39 goal breakout year, Smyth's linemates for 5on5 play were most often Mats Lindgren and Kelly Buchburger. Factoring out his 19 powerplay goals, he still scored 20 at even strength. The vast majority came with these linemates (including an extended hotstreak through December of that year). He rarely played with Weight at full strength, and didn't click as well when playing with Arnott....
I'm pretty sure that Buchburger and Lindgren were not inflating his numbers by dishing him sweet tap-ins. That line was successful because Buchy and Smyth controlled the boards, Lindgren could put the puck on net, and Smyth could bang in rebounds and step out from behind the net for a wrap around.
2) Comrie and Carter carried Smyth? I'm sorry, but I didn't see that. That line was the hottest in the league before Smyth went down to injury. Comrie seemed to keep it going a bit, but not at anywhere near the earlier pace, and Carter fell off the map. If Smyth was so dispensible, and simply benefitting from their skill, how come Horcoff and Moreau and Murray couldn't simply step in and benefit from Smyth's icetime?
3) His stats are grossly flattering for his talent level? If his talent is so insignificant, how did he get drafted #6 overall? Did his PeeWee linemates feed him those 200 goals, and then afterthat he simply was dragged along (right up to the draft) by his junior linemates? Come on... don't be so absurd.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:21 PM
krooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Oilers

Rooks Oilers

You know what? I'm sick of all the Smytty praising! He has always got way more credit than he deserves and is grossly OVERRATED. I'm glad that the time has come where he is actually held accountable for something other than his " plays every shift like it's his last" mantra. Trade this guy now because his reputation is so much better than he is. The return will be, not unlike Blue from Old School, gloooooorious.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Dale

Quote:
Well said. The intangibles that Smyth used to bring to the team have faded as has his importance to the team. He is no longer an untouchable but he is still a valuable asset.

Closed Thread